Virus on Nautica

treasure4two

also works if people who cough or sneeze cover their face then go wash their hands where possible or use the hand gel ( it is better than nothing)

I cannot count the number of times I have been behind someone who sneezes without covering their face...I usually turn & walk in the other direction the germs can fly through the air several feet

NANA this is the 1st winter cruise I did not get sick on with the URI/cold ..I took clorox wipes ;)

also works if people who cough or sneeze cover their face then go wash their hands where possible or use the hand gel ( it is better than nothing)

I cannot count the number of times I have been behind someone who sneezes without covering their face...I usually turn & walk in the other direction the germs can fly through the air several feet

NANA this is the 1st winter cruise I did not get sick on with the URI/cold ..I took clorox wipes ;)

Lol, yes gel is better than nothing :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I live very close to 2 medical schools with teaching hospitals and here is what is passed on to all of us. Med staff say soap and warm water is best...and often.

Almost everyone in town sneezes or coughs into their elbow brought to their face. Every grocery store has the "wipes" for the grocery cart handles.

During cold/flu season people nod at each other in religious services when you "pass the peace" rather than shake hands.

The whole elbow thing is taught to little kids in the schools as well as washing hands as long as it takes you to sing "happy birthday" twice!

We take all of these practices with us when we cruise. Wipes are good when you can't find soap and water and must have gelato.

Well, 2 percent isn't a great number of sick people on a cruise ship, particularly if that includes any kind of sickness, so I certainly won't start to worry. I would guess that in February or mid-March 2 percent of any large audience in a closed space would be sick! I know that when I worked, that was certainly the case! I was a little afraid that either I or my husband might get sick on our recent cruise on Celebrity, as they do NOT serve you at the buffets, and do NOT keep as clean a ship as Oceania. However, we were fine - and we're not the least worried about our summer cruise on Insignia.

I vaguely remember finding a list of cruise lines which had experienced and reported illnesses. Does anyone know if this info can be found on the CDC website, or where it might be? I'm just curious about which cruise lines have the most problems with illnesses - or at least reported illnesses!

I vaguely remember finding a list of cruise lines which had experienced and reported illnesses. Does anyone know if this info can be found on the CDC website, or where it might be? I'm just curious about which cruise lines have the most problems with illnesses - or at least reported illnesses!

CDC reports some

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/GIlist.htm

cruise junkie also reports some ships if the problem is noted

There were definitely sick people and people quarantined on this itinerary.

However it looks like constant cleaning by staff and hand washing by all has dealt with it. We noticed that they were taking room numbers in the GDR during the worst of it. That had stopped now.

As for laundry, we think it is using insufficiently hot water in the machines (colour wash, say) and of course, the room is small, crowded and warm and humid - probably a good place to share germs. We were told that they are going to keep it closed for the rest of this trip. And keep the special laundry service pricing, I presume. Just sent another 20 items today. Lots of hand laundry going on too!

Evidently the ship had a special diet for sick people - plain rice, etc.

We did have people in our tour groups who had to take a day or two off from touring. In some ports you had to get out of quarantine in order to go ashore (our two days in Shanghai?) due to passport stamping requirements of local authorities.

Frances

Who is hoping we will all stay well!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There were definitely sick people and people quarantined on this itinerary.

Is this Noro or some other bug?

It is good that they are quarantining those that are ill

Hope you stay well

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Not sure. People say noro but I believe the notice simply said they were obliged by CDC? To inform us that more than 2% had a virus and that they had implemented a strict cleaning / sanitation program.

Btw, Polo and other restaurants would not cook steak to rare or medium rare. It had to be medium or more well done. Evidently they have lifted that ban now.

They do take it seriously.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Hello to everyone - (Hi, Francis!)

This whole thing seems to have been caused by an email I sent to somebody else.

We were on the HK to Beijing. There was a group of 14 of us that did a 3-day post-cruise stay in Beijing. EVERYONE of us got sick. My husband and I have both been to the doctor twice, go for the 3rd time on Monday, and others are also still sick.

I emailed a friend who did the next leg and asked him if there was a bug going around the ship, that all of my group were sick. He is the one who told me that yes, there was something going around, and that in his estimation, about 20% of the passengers got sick. This was in a private email, and I forwarded that info to some of the people who were on my segment who were sick (and continue to be sick to this date, 2 1/2 weeks later.) This was never to have been posted on CC but was done by somebody else. This was info I got from someone who was on the Nautica at that time and this was his estimation. I was just trying to notify people in my group that the rumor on board was that there was a bug going around.

As on any ship, you will always have someone who gets sick and infects other passengers. Nowhere have I heard any mention of an outbreak - - this was just a private email I received from a passenger on the next segment when I asked if he heard about anything going around. It was HIS estimate that 20% of the passengers got sick - - yes, that is a big amount and you would have heard something on the news if it was true.

Hope I cleared that up - - but we are STILL sick, on 4 different medications and an inhaler. Don't know what it is, but it sure likes me!

Nancy

Hope I cleared that up - - but we are STILL sick, on 4 different medications and an inhaler. Don't know what it is, but it sure likes me!

Nancy

Hope you feel better soon

Is it a Noro type virus or an upper respiratory one ??

I usually get the upper respiratory ones

Get well

Lyn

Nancy, I hope you're feeling better soon. I guess this is a warning to ask recipients of your private notes NOT to repeat them! Although there's no guarantee of that happening either.

I know that while I can't recall falling sick on ocean cruises, I have on two river boat cruises. Both times I was seated at dinner next to someone who had a cold, and wouldn't you know I came down with it, too. (I'm not talking about intestinal viruses, just plain old colds.)

I suppose this is another example of how misinformation can innocently be spread. I'm glad to have it cleared up.

Mura

Nancy, very sorry you are sick and hope you recuperate very soon.

The problem here is with second and third party information.

You too quote that VERY high number several times and the time has come to stick to the facts only. Enough is enough.

Nancy, hope you and your friends are better soon..I have written to several people I know on Nautica at this time and no one has mentioned about anyone being sick..and truthfully, I did not ask..

Jancruz1

China is a bit scary. When we went there (on a river cruise, with a couple hotel nights) I packed antibiotics, cold stuff, a ribbon to tie on hotel faucets to remind me not to drink the water, diarrhea meds, and other stuff. Just the smog (or "fog" as they call it) was enough to scare me. Whew! Luckily neither one of us got sick, but I know people who did.

Hope everyone feels better by now!

As avid cruisers, it's important to also wipe your hands after holding the menu !! That is another area where bacteria and viruses abound !! Interesting to note that the back of the chairs & perhaps the arms should also be wiped !! Ask your doctor for a broad based antibiotic because you will be on a cruise ship! Perhaps getting the flu shot helps too !

These viruses are becoming more resistant and a ship is almost like a plane -- interior spaces don't get much fresh air !! Good health - our first wealth.

As avid cruisers, it's important to also wipe your hands after holding the menu !! That is another area where bacteria and viruses abound !! Interesting to note that the back of the chairs & perhaps the arms should also be wiped !! Ask your doctor for a broad based antibiotic because you will be on a cruise ship! Perhaps getting the flu shot helps too !

These viruses are becoming more resistant and a ship is almost like a plane -- interior spaces don't get much fresh air !! Good health - our first wealth.

If I have to wipe the back of the chairs, I will quit cruising! Being cautious is fine, but homophobic is off the wall. Just my opinion.

When we were on the back to back Istanbul to Barcelona and Barcelona to Miami, I went to wait for our friends boarding in Barcelona in the terminal.

One woman - from New York - was seated and waiting for her boarding time. She was obviously sick and kept telling the Oceania Representative how ill she was and that she must board immediately. He kept telling her to stay seated and he would see that as soon as her time came open, he would make sure she was able to board first. Suite passengers and Concierge were boarding.

Finally they opened for all staterooms and he saw to it that she could board.

SHE WAS SICK. Obviously ill with a cold - coughing, sneezing etc.

Why was she allowed to board?

Finally they opened for all staterooms and he saw to it that she could board.

SHE WAS SICK. Obviously ill with a cold - coughing, sneezing etc.

Why was she allowed to board?

As far as I understand it, the ill person must have a fever in conjunction with those other symptoms in order for their illness to be deemed serious enough to deny boarding.

sick-guy.jpg

I'll never forget the Riviera's maiden cruise, they were thrusting thermometers at anyone who dared to even clear their throat twice! :eek:

The 20% number I quoted was sent in an email to my post-cruise group who all got sick. I asked a friend on board at the time if he heard anything about a virus going around. His response was," Yes, there is something going around, the ship is taking measures to combat it and doing a good job, and about 20% of the passengers had gotten ill." I sent that to my group saying this was from a friend who was on the ship as of March 15th. I never posted anything with any numbers anywhere. This was a private email to the group of 14 who were all deathly sick at the time. We are going back to the doctor on Monday for the 3rd time since antibiotics and meds don't seem to be helping.

While I know of some people who were sick on the ship, we could have gotten it in Beijing, for all I know, except for one guy who wasn't able to tour with us because he was so ill, but that was more of a stomach thing. He had to forgo Xian to stay at the hotel because he was so sick.

Everyone in the group is "on the mend" except for me and my husband and another couple. Don't know why we got it worse, but we did.

After I sent the email to my group, people responded that they noticed the ship was beginning to take measures to insure people used the hand sanitizers and did not serve themselves in the Terrace.

Nancy

I'm pretty sure passengers don't serve themselves on Oceania ships in the Terrace anyway. At least all the cruises I've been on with them have been that way.

I guess there's a lot of things I don't understand, but what would whether Polo serves a steak med rare or med well have to do with the spread of a virus?

Edited by ORV

I'm pretty sure passengers don't serve themselves on Oceania ships in the Terrace anyway. At least all the cruises I've been on with them have been that way.

Some things you can serve yourself but when a bug strikes they take that option away

Like getting your own rolls & some desserts

On our last cruise in Jan they did not allow any self serve for the first few days

Lyn

While I know of some people who were sick on the ship, we could have gotten it in Beijing, for all I know, except for one guy who wasn't able to tour with us because he was so ill, but that was more of a stomach thing. He had to forgo Xian to stay at the hotel because he was so sick.

Nancy

I am wondering if he reported to the staff that he was so sick before getting on the ship??

I know at the beginning of each cruise you need to sign a form that you have no issues with tummy bugs so you can be checked over before being allowed on the ship

Saw on the news not long ago there was a bug in Asia with SARS like virus ....perhaps that is what you caught

Hope you get better soon

He got sick after we got off the ship and were doing our post-cruise stay in Beijing. He was okay up until then, but we toured the first day after getting off the ship and the next day he was sick and couldn't tour.

I do know of one woman who got sick before getting on the ship but apparently felt okay to tour. Who knows? All I know is even though I am sick I am glad I got sick AFTER I got home. At least I was able to see Asia.

Nancy