What's a suite worth to you?

vllygrrl

Here's a question that I anticipate will bring some interesting discussion. At what price point does a suite become tempting to spend a bit more on? For example, my husband and I currently have an aft penthouse booked on the Getaway in the fall, with my sister and my son in the room with us. My parents have the connecting balcony room booked. Obviously, the trip would be nicer for everyone if my parents were in a suite as well. At the moment, a spa penthouse would be $1000 more than the price that they paid for their balcony, and my father does not see the value in that. They sailed in a suite on the Star with us, so they are aware of the perks that come with the suite life. Essentially, I know I can get them to spend a bit more to upgrade to a suite if it's a "bargain". However, what is a bargain?

I think you answered your own question.... Dad's already sailed in the suite and Dad doesn't see the value in it. As another poster points out, it's going to be $1000 plus the gratuities for the butler and concierge. I'm with Dad - there's NO price at which I would upgrade to a suite, the perks are just not worth it....

Suite's are located in the worst place on the ship for a good ride !!

Deck 11 or 12 all the way forward is The Roughest ride on the ship in bad weather.

I will take a deck 5 midship inside for a smooth sailing .

And I get to sail Way more " 40 days last summer for about 6k ". :p lol

Yep. This kind if thinking is what allowed us to retire at ages 62 and 52. Now we REALLY have the time to travel.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

We think alike !!! We retired at 56 and 53 (over 20 years ago), and cruise 5 to 8 tmes per year in inside cabins.

The benefits we receive from the loyalty programs satisfy our desires without extra cost of a suite. We get priority tendering, meals at specialty restaurants, cocktail parties, plus other "hidden benefits" from our frequent trips. You can't put a price tag on the handshakes, hugs and giggles from our "kids" who work on the ships.

Calculating the costs of a suite as opposed to an inside cabin, we receive more than double the total benefits due to the increased number of days we cruise for the same price or less.

Edited by swedish weave

I truly envy those who can cruise multiple times per year. For others though, like me, NCL could offer $99 cruises and it wouldn't impact how many times I can cruise in a year simply because I don't have the time available.

As others have said, it's great that NCL offers multiple options that fit everyone's needs.

My wife and I have been in several suites. We like the extra room along will lg balcony. We will be sailing a 14 night trip next year, the extra living space is worth paying extra money. We do spend more time in our cabin. My wife likes to come back and read on the balcony, and I will be on the iPad. The extra perks are nice; but not a big deal to us; we enjoy being able to stretch out and move around without getting out of bed and hitting the wall. A little joke there; We have never been in an aft cabin, so next year will be our first. Have read so many positive posts regarding aft cabins. The aft penthouse will be wonderful. I would not be in a suite if my budget did not allow. We were going to get the owners suite but decided to go with penthouse suite and use the savings get another reg cabin and bring our two adult children with us. On a side note; we looked at the mini suite; but NCL was offering OBC along with suite perks; so we chose the aft penthouse. Sorry for the long post. Hope this helps the OP..

You will love the AFT suite. We always go for the AFT suite, 8 cruises and the same location on the cruise. The hum of the engine will put you asleep. It is super quiet and out of the way, so very little foot traffic.

You will love the AFT suite. We always go for the AFT suite, 8 cruises and the same location on the cruise. The hum of the engine will put you asleep. It is super quiet and out of the way, so very little foot traffic.

Thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

I look at it this way.

I am on Vacation - every day I am on vacation is worth my time - say $500 a day for round numbers. Getting to a port cost a certain amount too. If I add on the cost of minimal cabin rate, I have a cost of x per day. For a few more dollars a day I can have - B & L at Cagney's (or the equivalent). Some priority when it comes to moving around (No Lines). Custom care - really what a butler brings - no explaining what you need, they know you. A little more room.

Hard to put a value on any of that but the meals. I figure about $20 per person, per meal for the value of Cagney's. 7*2*20= $280. The other amenities, maybe worth $300??

Plus you usually get a $300 OBC, so that may offset it a little.

So the $500 to $1000 more for a week is in the justifiable category, then it is just a mater of taste. I am glad that it takes all kinds, different strokes and all that.:)

If I lived in a port city, it would probably be different and I would be trying to maximize my cruise days, but having to wait a year or three between - go for the gusto!

Edited by Chuck2810
another thought

You will love the AFT suite. We always go for the AFT suite' date=' 8 cruises and the same location on the cruise. The hum of the engine will put you asleep. It is super quiet and out of the way, so very little foot traffic.[/quote']

Sorry, I had to reply. And not to slam the poster.

It always amazes me when people post something like:

" You will love _____". This could apply to a cruise, a show, a cabin, a dinner, a port,etc.

How does anyone know that someone will love something? For example, we have been in an aft suite. We do not like it. We do not like the vibration - makes me queasy. It is too far away. With that said, most people love it. Not all.

Again, not picking on the poster at all. Glad they love the aft suite.

One of our big reasons for booking in the Haven is because of the private courtyard. We find the main pools soooooo crowded that we've never ever been able to get a chair there. We're looking forward to hanging around the pool, even if it's a small pool, without the crowds. The main pools aren't even that much bigger and they're for thousands more people.

We're also looking forward to the preferred seating at shows, first on and off the boat, being able to have dinner served in your room.

This is the reason we always go Haven nowadays. My wife did not like the regular sundeck at all. Loud music blaring, hairiest chest competitions (she likes to exaggerate!) and sunbeds lined up without even a gap between them. Way too crowded.

The embarkation is so much easier too in Haven and a bath in the room is fabulous too.

We are booked into an Aft Facing Haven Suite on the Breakaway in September and the balcony is staggeringly huge. You could get 20 people out there easily. Our view is, wait until a good price comes up and book it - no kids means we can go whenever the price is right rather than have a set period that we have to go.

It makes a huge difference if you can sail at non-peak times. Of course, we are paying a premium for the Haven at Thanksgiving, but it's not something we do all the time. We are fine in balcony cabins. We have several houses, hubby is retiring next year (at 50) and we're building a waterfront home on the florida gulf coast. I am sure we will be right back in a balcony cabin after this cruise, but really, it does not matter in the slightest. No one even knows I moved us to a suite yet LOL If I had to sacrifice the boat, house, or anything else we are achieving right now while in our 40's, there's no way I'd go for the suite. That is just crazy!!

I look at it this way.

I am on Vacation - every day I am on vacation is worth my time - say $500 a day for round numbers. Getting to a port cost a certain amount too. If I add on the cost of minimal cabin rate, I have a cost of x per day. For a few more dollars a day I can have - B & L at Cagney's (or the equivalent). Some priority when it comes to moving around (No Lines). Custom care - really what a butler brings - no explaining what you need, they know you. A little more room.

Hard to put a value on any of that but the meals. I figure about $20 per person, per meal for the value of Cagney's. 7*2*20= $280. The other amenities, maybe worth $300??

Plus you usually get a $300 OBC, so that may offset it a little.

So the $500 to $1000 more for a week is in the justifiable category, then it is just a mater of taste. I am glad that it takes all kinds, different strokes and all that.:)

If I lived in a port city, it would probably be different and I would be trying to maximize my cruise days, but having to wait a year or three between - go for the gusto!

If everyone made $500 a day, booking a suite wouldn't be a problem. :p

Thank you all for your input. It's not a question of finances, it's a question of getting a good deal. My parents like to vacation with us because my son is their only grandchild. They can afford the upgrade, but at the moment the amount of money it would cost is not worth it to my father. I will keep checking the rates, and if the price comes down, I'm sure they will make the switch. I guess I was just hoping for an idea of a price per person per day that the suite would be in "bargain" range.

The problem with your post is that it is a matter of how much money you have to spend and how much you want to spend. Its the same question as what does a 5-star hotel vs. a 2-star hotel offer and cost. Both are clean, both have a king size or double beds, and both may be located in a prime area (one example I can think of is a Holiday Inn across the street from the Jefferson here in DC, Jefferson has butlers... Holiday Inn... doesn't). The difference in price is $160-$200 a night for the Holiday Inn vs. $500-$5,000 a night for the Jefferson. Can they really be compared? Most people would rule the Jefferson out as an option immediately, and would be deciding between a Hampton Inn and a Holiday Inn.

Also, another factor that comes into play is how much you will use the amenities of the 5-star hotel over the Holiday Inn. Do you plan on needing a Mercedes house car to bring you around town at your beck and call, or rather take the Metro for $2. Do you want to have the option of requesting a Filet Mignon at 3am, and knowing it will arrive perfectly cooked?

My family recently got a discount rate of $375 a night at the Jefferson. The Mandarin Oriental, our regular hotel was $725 per night for a regular room, but we do not like the location of the Jefferson as much. That is a decision within a class, similar to Hampton Inn vs. Holiday Inn and is something that is not a one size fits all decision.

So to answer your question, what am I willing to pay for a suite. Well frankly a lot because I have the money and wouldn't go on the boat as a non-haven guest. My competition was whether to go to Vegas again and stay at the Mandarin there, or go on the NCL cruise to change it up. Vegas costs me roughly $4,000 a day for 2 people (all-in, with airfare, nightclubs, restaurants, gambling). NCL cruise is roughly $1,500 a day in the suite for 2 people (also all-in). NCL is definitely the better value, but realistically Vegas is more enjoyable for us. Obviously price is not the only factor, as destination, and desired outcome changes. When I come home from Vegas I need a multi-day nap (when in Vegas Breakfast = Nightcap), when I come home from a cruise, I want to go back to work, and feel refreshed (and able to do my work better). What are you willing to pay for a suite? Well that depends on your normal standard of travel, as well as your means to pay for that standard, or if you splurge to go above those means, how much you will have to sacrifice later.

Edited by coold8

Pictures of NCL GEM suite 8630 not available but a similar mirror image cabin 8132 is available at this website:

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Members/catgallery.php?ship=Norwegian Gem&cat=Penthouse

Dropdown menu Select NCL GEM and Penthouse then click on 8132

Join CruiseDeckPlans.com for a wide variety of photos of all cruise ships.

For us, booking a suite is great when the weather could be cool, longer cruise, or there are a lot of at sea days. When we take a warm cruise with lots of in port days, inside cabin works fine.

It also depends on the ship. New ship with lots of things to do and great places to sit on-deck, we would book an inside cabin. On a ships like the Dawn, Star, or Spirit, maybe a suite would work better.

Also depends on the cruise too. Alaska or some repositioning cruises, suite all the way.

A lot of factors play into what room to select.

What is a suite worth to me?

50%-70% more than a Balcony.

I hear folks say they they like to spend their time out and about the ship. I would too if I had a inside or a standard ocean view room. If I booked the Garden Villa I would be hard pressed to leave that area of the ship. I usually book rooms with balconies and I spend a lot of time on them. The one time I booked an inside stateroom, I was all over the ship from early AM to late after midnight. We had fun, but it was a different experience, and we were worn out when the cruise was done. We needed another vacation to recoup from our vacation.

If I want to enjoy a land vacation I saved all year for I would rather stay in a nice Marriott Resort over a Motel 6. It is all in the details for me.

What ever is affordable. If I can get a full suite for 50%-70% or less, more than a balcony? Yeah, I am in the suite.

Edited by NH Cruisers

The problem with your post is that it is a matter of how much money you have to spend and how much you want to spend.

So to answer your question, what am I willing to pay for a suite. Well frankly a lot because I have the money and wouldn't go on the boat as a non-haven guest.

Now that new NCL ships have 4000 passengers it changes some things for a suite passenger that wants to pay for the premium trip that they may find major negatives. NCL needs facilities to sell and profit from the 1000+ regular cabins first, the suite passengers must come second. They’ve got to fill those 1000 rooms every week. Things like 7-day itineraries that start/end on weekends. I want to travel more than 7 days and prefer to miss the weekend rush. They also must go to ports that can take 4000, so that limits things and means crowds on shore. They run the same exact itinerary every week so undesirable B2B. Outside the Haven the product quality and cost is based on the high-volume normal passenger, not the suite guest.

NCL’s new megaship Haven’s offer a much enhanced experience over the Jewel class Haven. The Haven 3 meal private restaurant is really nice making me not want to sail Jewel class. It seems like the price has gone up quite a bit to $350 to $500/day for a Haven room, $700 for the DlxOS. If they aren't selling well it’s frustrating to think I’m paying $6000 for a week for 2 and there are bunches of upsells paying $4000.

It’s not apples-to-apples but NCLs higher price competes directly with the luxury ships, but lux offers better quality in most all categories, especially food. Everything on the ship can be targeted at a passenger paying a minimum of at least $300/day and not $100-/day. Stuff like the towels at the pool are really nice, loungers with cushions, bedding, room towels. The lux ships lack some fun, entertainment and are more sleepy. For a family the lux is going to probably be too boring, but empty-nesters may prefer.

So not exactly on the plane as the OP but I’m wondering if at list price a $400/day Haven room is worth it on a ship and vacation mostly designed for 75% of the people paying 25% of that price. I’ve sailed a few times in the Epic Haven 2 BR and really enjoyed it. The 7 day schedule and ports of the Getaway and Escape do NOT look desirable. I’ll probably try it once, but at $400/day I’ll probably take a smaller room and have everything else better on a luxury ship.

Now that new NCL ships have 4000 passengers it changes some things for a suite passenger that wants to pay for the premium trip that they may find major negatives. NCL needs facilities to sell and profit from the 1000+ regular cabins first, the suite passengers must come second. They’ve got to fill those 1000 rooms every week. Things like 7-day itineraries that start/end on weekends. I want to travel more than 7 days and prefer to miss the weekend rush. They also must go to ports that can take 4000, so that limits things and means crowds on shore. They run the same exact itinerary every week so undesirable B2B. Outside the Haven the product quality and cost is based on the high-volume normal passenger, not the suite guest.

NCL’s new megaship Haven’s offer a much enhanced experience over the Jewel class Haven. The Haven 3 meal private restaurant is really nice making me not want to sail Jewel class. It seems like the price has gone up quite a bit to $350 to $500/day for a Haven room, $700 for the DlxOS. If they aren't selling well it’s frustrating to think I’m paying $6000 for a week for 2 and there are bunches of upsells paying $4000.

It’s not apples-to-apples but NCLs higher price competes directly with the luxury ships, but lux offers better quality in most all categories, especially food. Everything on the ship can be targeted at a passenger paying a minimum of at least $300/day and not $100-/day. Stuff like the towels at the pool are really nice, loungers with cushions, bedding, room towels. The lux ships lack some fun, entertainment and are more sleepy. For a family the lux is going to probably be too boring, but empty-nesters may prefer.

So not exactly on the plane as the OP but I’m wondering if at list price a $400/day Haven room is worth it on a ship and vacation mostly designed for 75% of the people paying 25% of that price. I’ve sailed a few times in the Epic Haven 2 BR and really enjoyed it. The 7 day schedule and ports of the Getaway and Escape do NOT look desirable. I’ll probably try it once, but at $400/day I’ll probably take a smaller room and have everything else better on a luxury ship.

I don't think they are on par with luxury lines at all! They aren't even close to being the same price as a suite on Royal Caribbean or Princess. An ocean view balcony cabin on the Oasis of the Seas was not that much cheaper than what I am paying for a 2-bedroom suite in the Haven at Thanksgiving!! NCL is by far the cheapest for suites (except maybe Carnival, but I wouldn't know. Never priced them). Now if you are speaking of the GV - that may be a different story ... but I would never spend that kind of money on a NCL cruise. I would jump ship, or go to Sandals or something way more upscale than NCL!!

Edited by SissasMomE

Somewhat the same here. My Volvo has aged with grace and dignity as the Swedes do. No plans to replace it for at least 5 years and hopefully 10. My last Volvo went well over 150,000 and drove it for 12 years.......still miss that wagon it was almost family.

Our home is in a desirable neighborhood, but is small. Much less cost for maintenance, utilities, etc. While I love great clothes, I buy almost all items on sale. I bought clothes for our upcoming cruise last fall and at end of summer prices. Fortunately I'm all set in the jewelry department as my mother and grandmother have been more then generous. So you won't be seeing me at the diamond seminars.

We do some take out, but as a rule do not dine out. This does not mean we eat cheaply, but prefer to splurge only on those items that are really worthwhile and it will be for an occasion. I rarely fly due to a security incident that left me feeling it just wasn't worth it so my vacations are cruises that I can drive to.

I will splurge on gifts that I know are needed/much wanted for my children. My son is an excellent photographer and earns his way around Europe with his photography. He's young, happy and worked hard in college. For Christmas he asked if I would help him purchase a camera that was important to him. Same son never asks for money to tide him over or pay his airfare home. It was not hard to make the decision to buy him the camera and told him to hold onto his money.

Now I have booked the owner's suite for myself and DD. This is a gift that I know will make my daughter happy. She has been working at a job for the past year that is below her skills and has been an unhappy experience. Next she and her husband will leave for South Korea. She's excited about living half way around the world, but still gets teary about leaving. So when the chance came to book the owner's suite it wasn't hard to make the decision. It might be years before we have the chance to spend time like this together again. I like to spend money where it counts and making someone you love happy is something that really matters.

One thing that I find important is to always pay cash. Paying cash gives you tremendous freedom and encourages you to live more frugally so you always have what you need/want on hand.

I LOVE your comments!

We, too, spend more for the perfect memories. My DH and I cruise with my mom.

I get to see her twice each year, so we go on two cruises. Showing her exotic places shes only read about is such a thrill. We treat her like a queen because she deserves it. the concierge and butler help us do that.

I shop for deals and have booked everything from an inside cabin to an Owners suite. We have decided that we enjoy aft suites more thsn anything else.

I, too, pay cash -- well, American Express which gets paid in full each month and I use the points on the airlines.

Can hardly wait for Hawaii in September. She is SO going to love it!

I don't think they are on par with luxury lines at all!

I guess that depends on where you draw the line for a luxury line. Is RSSC a luxury line?

I have seen prices on RSSC which aren't much higher than what we have to pay to cruise in a suite on NCL. We prefer a suite on NCL because we don't need the pampering all the time and more choices on a bigger ship is something we appreciate.

On NCL we can get the best of two worlds. We can get a luxury experience in the Haven or in our suite and we can get the big ship world too.