Princess transfers-Anchorage to Whittier

New York Nana

We are doing a Princess transfer from the Anchorage City Center to the Whittier port. Does anyone know how that may work?

Do they collect luggage and transport it separate from the bus, or do we hand it off to the driver for storage in the belly?

Does Princess run separate buses from City Center AND the airport, or do they pick up at one, then go to the other? And if they do, where do they pick up first?

Do we get to request the time for pickup, or do they tell us when?

Does anyone know how early they begin transporting? I know it is probably a 1.5-2 hr trip to the port.

Sorry for all the questions. Our last trip to Alaska was on the 5 day landtour first and we arrived by train to the port. This is something new to us.

Have you thought about taking the Alaska Railroad from downtown Anchorage? Its about a 3 hour ride, $74.

Its a beautiful trip. You give the porters your luggage and you won't see your luggage until its in your room. The train pulls up right next to the ship in Whittier.

http://www.alaskarailroad.com/

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I did the Princess transfer for the city center in Anchorage. Your luggage is stored under the bus. When you reach Whittier, they take care of your luggage for you. When we did it the bus went straight from the city center to Whittier. there is a one way tunnel right before you reach Whittier. The Princess busses know what time they reach the tunnel and exactly when you can go through. It is not a long wait at all. There is nothing to see in Whittier so go right onto the ship. we did have bout a 30 minute wait in line in Whittier though. It was raining when we reached Whittier, but Princess had most of the walkway off the bus to the cruise terminal covered, so no worries.

Whatever time they tell you to be at the Egan Center (city center pick-up location), arrive an hour earlier. Cruise passengers lovvvvve to get Onboard as early as possible and will be eagerly waiting to board the coaches long before the scheduled time. They will assign you to boarding groups first come, first serve. The Egan Center is walkable to all of downtown and has clean bathrooms and comfy chairs. You will not stop to pick others up. The airport coaches run separately and will not affect you. The drive is quite scenic and spectacular. Your driver may/may not pull off at an overlook for pictures and a stretch break. The tunnel operates once per hour in each direction, and the coaches will run accordingly. Once in Whittier, the check-in is easy-peasy because people arrive over the course of the whole day rather than all at once. Happy cruising!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by cruisequeen4ever

Have you thought about taking the Alaska Railroad from downtown Anchorage? Its about a 3 hour ride, $74.

Its a beautiful trip.

OP has taken the train before.

Our last trip to Alaska was on the 5 day landtour first and we arrived by train to the port. This is something new to us.

Thank you for all the information! Yes, we considered the train, but we had done that before and we're pretty sure we'd prefer the coach transfer this trip. I am just trying to determine our luggage situation and how much we'd be on our own handling it. If they take it on the bus and we don't see it again until it's in our cabin, that works for me!

I assume Princess will notify us of a time to be at the center for the transfer. Knowing us - we WILL be there early! Ha!

Thank you for all the information! Yes, we considered the train, but we had done that before and we're pretty sure we'd prefer the coach transfer this trip. I am just trying to determine our luggage situation and how much we'd be on our own handling it. If they take it on the bus and we don't see it again until it's in our cabin, that works for me!

I assume Princess will notify us of a time to be at the center for the transfer. Knowing us - we WILL be there early! Ha!

Yes they will advise you of the times.

When you check-in at your downtown location, you will check your luggage. Your luggage will not travel with you on your same bus but will be shipped in a separate cargo truck. Next time you see your luggage is when it will be delivered to your room. YOUR CARRY-ON, or what you designate as your carry-on will ride with you on your transportation bus. You can place your carry-on luggage in a secured area (like a coat-check process) so you can explore downtown Anchorage without carrying your luggage around. YES - check in as early as possible, you will be given a 'color' and a time your transportation will depart. Its a smooth system with little worries.