Brilliance of the Seas: soda confiscated

They really love there Pepsi and if they don't have a Pepsi once in a while they get migraine etc.

That's not a migraine.

That's caffeine withdrawal, and it's not unique to just Pepsi drinkers. It happens to Coke drinkers, coffee drinkers, even tea drinkers.

The trick is to learn to diversify your sources of caffeine, or to reduce your caffeine intake over time, rather than go cold turkey.

Also to all you people who are like oh your a one time poster etc. A large amount of people who look on CC do just that look. Some don't create an account until they feel need to mostly because people on here flame posters over the littlest things.

A lot of the time when Poster only post one time is they just wanted to let people know something they might like to be aware of and know what response they will get for posting what ever they post. The reason they don't respond is they don't want to waste there lives defending themselves on a online forum when they could be doing god knows what. We all use to be a first time poster

Completely agree. I fail to see how 100 posts complaining about others constitutes a more positive contribution to the board than perhaps a single review.

I believe the OP would be better served by sharing of an experience contrary to her own in having the drinks confiscated, and IMHO the RCI website seems somewhat contradictory to me:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use."

but...wait for it...continues

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol."

seems to imply that soda bottles with soda may not be disposed of.

Having not brought any external beverages onboard, I can't speak to personal experience here. However, I find it amusing to think you could bring on a couple of bottles of wine, but not a couple of bottles of soda. Could they just charge a corkage fee for the pepsi and have done with it? :D

Just boarded Brilliance of the Seas and they confiscated our 2/6 packs diet Pepsi bottles. We have sailed on 16 cruises, 3rd and last with Royal Caribbean. I know it is their policy, however we have never had any bottled soda taken on any previous cruises. .

It's not unusual for the beverage rules to be enforced during Spring Break.

Completely agree. I fail to see how 100 posts complaining about others constitutes a more positive contribution to the board than perhaps a single review.

I believe the OP would be better served by sharing of an experience contrary to her own in having the drinks confiscated, and IMHO the RCI website seems somewhat contradictory to me:

"Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use."

but...wait for it...continues

"Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol."

seems to imply that soda bottles with soda may not be disposed of.

Having not brought any external beverages onboard, I can't speak to personal experience here. However, I find it amusing to think you could bring on a couple of bottles of wine, but not a couple of bottles of soda. Could they just charge a corkage fee for the pepsi and have done with it? :D

That policy can be interpreted to mean that confiscated non-alcoholic beverages will be held for you to pick up after cruises, while alcoholic beverages that were smuggled in other containers will be disposed of rather than held.

It seems you just joined CC to complain about your Pepsi loss. Too bad as it's been reported many times that during spring break they very often do enforce the no beverage rule. So, you will no longer cruise with RCI because of this? Pretty petty if you otherwise enjoy a product. What else disturbs you?

Please, give the OP a break. All she did was make a statement about the soda being confiscated

Your comments are hurtful.

Sailing away now, yes My husband and I are Pepsi addicts. I usually don't post, this will probably be my last till I return from this cruise. I didn't mean to spark such backlash. Like I stayed we only had 2/6packs of bottles. My husband is quite adamant on not sailing RCCI again, we'll see. Sailing to Key West now. Thank you to those who posted kind remarks.

He won't sail again on RCL because of this???

Quite isolated enforcement. We had a bag check a month ago. Looked for our 2 bottles of wine and opened our 12 pack to see that it was soda.

I think a lot of you are so focused on bashing the OP into oblivion that you're missing the bigger point -- reasonable amounts of soda in sealed containers are very very rarely confiscated, regardless of what the policy says. So, the OP's experience is rather unusual and yes, is newsworthy here on CC.

I agree with the posters who suspect a tightening of enforcement over Spring Break is the cause.

Edited by Dave85

Fwiw- I purchased 12 pack of diet coke for our 4 night Liberty sailing in February, taped 2 luggage tags to it ( one on each side), and checked it with the porters.

No issues when it appeared in our cabin later that afternoon.

I, too, agree that it is likely the bottles at spring break that may be the issue.

I wouldn't give up on an entire cruise line over this. It may just be that the employee in question was being a little over zealous. I would say if you want to, try bringing on a small amount. If they toss it out, so be it, but just be prepared for it. I'm normally a Dr Pepper or Pepsi drinker myself, but will drink Coke Zero if available in the absence of my first choices. If it absolutely came down to it, I'll drink Diet Coke, but that is as a last resort. If the ship has the Freestyle machines, maybe there is some flavor that might be ok for you? If so, the soda package might just be the way to go. I've usually brought a few sodas with me as well, and have not had any confiscated, but I also tend to buy plenty onboard as well. I do feel it's petty to search luggage looking for soda. It's all about their bottom line - no two ways around it. I realize that the cruise lines are in business to make money, but they should realize that if they would simply charge more reasonable prices, people wouldn't go through the trouble they do to bring things aboard. Heck, if they charged $1.00-$1.50 a can, I would suspect that soda smuggling would decrease. If people didn't feel like they were being gouged, they may be apt to actually spend more than when they feel a wallet draining coming on every time they're asked for their SeaPass cards. It's the same as why people bring food on airplanes or into movie theaters (I think theaters are about the worst - $5.00 for 50 cents worth of soda? Give me a break).

I totally understand! We are Coke drinkers (addicts, really). Pepsi products are a no go, we don't care for them at all. OP is a Pepsi drinker and RCI only sells Coke products. She isn't wanting to bring on something that can be purchased onboard.

I appreciate where you're attempting to go with that, but I drink a lot of Ommegang Three Philosophers, and I can't purchase that on board either, but I guarantee they won't let me bring it on. :)

FWIW, I'm a huge Pepsi drinker. Coke Zero isn't bad if you're used to Diet Pepsi. SO much better than Diet Coke.

Edited by Jobeth66

But what if the cop witnessed you driving 95 in a 65 for 10 years and he let you go by every time. Then he decides to pull you over and give you a ticket. Do you think that is fair….I don't think so…

Ahhh but my decision not to enforce a law (or policy in this case) does not prohibit me from enforcing it in the future. Basic contract law;).

It is policy on all the mass market cruise lines. I guess you wont be cruising anytime soon again :rolleyes:

Disney Cruise Line allows uou to bring on soda, water, alcohol...basically anything you can carry on. That being said though this is RCCL's rule, and if they want to enforce it thats their decision.

I'd go with the assumption that it might very well get taken, if not, bonus!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Hehehee ... this brought back memories of boarding a previous cruise. We had an "inspector" who was suspicious over the fact that our sealed WHITE Zinfindel wine was PINK in the bottle :D

She was loudly questioning until a co-worker came over and whispered in her ear ... she waved us along:D:D

I appreciate where you're attempting to go with that, but I drink a lot of Ommegang Three Philosophers, and I can't purchase that on board either, but I guarantee they won't let me bring it on. :)

FWIW, I'm a huge Pepsi drinker. Coke Zero isn't bad if you're used to Diet Pepsi. SO much better than Diet Coke.

Too funny! I had to look that up! I'm not a beer drinker (umbrella drinks for me) but I appreciate the humor. Not sure it's the same as Pepsi vs. Coke but that, apparently, is just my opinion.

What I find ironic about the rules is that in San Juan you can buy everything at the Duty Free shop at the pier and take ANY non-alcoholic beverages on board...In fact they sell 12 packs of soft drinks and water to carry on.

Please, give the OP a break. All she did was make a statement about the soda being confiscated

Your comments are hurtful.

She also stated her DH would never sail with RCI again because they took his Pepsi - to me, that's being pretty petty.

Good riddance. What we don't need on cruise ships is more people with bad attitudes!

And as for "fair", as my mother used to tell me, life isn't fair, get over it!

Oh my, who had a nasty attitude ? :eek:

there are tens of thousand of threads on smuggling , do you say good riddance to all those people too?

Sometimes people are so upset at the minute they over state their displeasure. The OP will probably rethink her position of never sailing with RCL again if everything else is to her satisfaction. Those will the snarky remarks are just snarky people.

To the Op thank you for sharing your experience. I buy a soda card because diet coke is my drink of choice but I also bring a few 16.8 oz bottles of flavored sparkling water because at night I cut back the caffeine. Because of your heads I won't be totally surprised if it's confiscated.

Edited by cruzsnooze

Oh my, who had a nasty attitude ? :eek:

there are tens of thousand of threads on smuggling , do you say good riddance to all those people too?

When people threaten to never sail on a particular cruise line because of not being allowed to bring on 2 six packs of diet Pepsi, I think those are unhappy, miserable people....and I would rather they not be around me when I am on vacation and cruising.

I have had my fair share of unhappy, miserable, complaining people on cruises, and they seem to take pride in making themselves and everyone around them as unpleasant as they are. I want them far, far away from me.

If you think this is a nasty attitude, I can't help it...your choice to think how you wish. And yes, I would say "good riddance" to anyone with the attitude the OP displayed.

When we were boarding for the 3/20 cruise I noticed a huge pile of packs of bottled water and soda by the wall after the metal detectors. I haven't seen them enforcing the water and soda very strictly before, So I would also assume that it's due to spring break. There were lots of teens and college age people on board over the weekend.

Just boarded Brilliance of the Seas and they confiscated our 2/6 packs diet Pepsi bottles. We have sailed on 16 cruises, 3rd and last with Royal Caribbean. I know it is their policy, however we have never had any bottled soda taken on any previous cruises. .

Carnival, Princess and HAL among others will allow you to bring your soda/water aboard in small quantities. All three would have let you bring your diet pepsi aboard. There are other options than the RCCL ships. Happy sailing.

Ahhh but my decision not to enforce a law (or policy in this case) does not prohibit me from enforcing it in the future. Basic contract law;).

Ahhh, I did not say they could not enforce the policy. They certainly have the right to do so. However, I think someone (OP's husband) can certainly be upset when the policy is enforced when you know it has not been in the past. ;)