Dinner attire

Baba56

What do the men usually wear for dinner in the Riviera. Hubby s wondering whether to bring a sports coat?

Cruises to warmer areas of the World are always less dressy, and in cooler climates you will see more Jackets on the men at dinner, particularly in the Specialty Restaurants.

If your fellow cruise passengers are European or from the Northeastern United States, the men will be less averse to wearing a Sports Coat than Southerners, or Californians, who seem to prefer informality over all.

Jackets are never required on Oceania, but some people do feel cool in the lounges after dinner and like to have a Jacket with them, just in case (and I know one or two men who always wear a jacket because their wives don't like to wear a wrap, but may get chilly!)...

Your Choice :D

Edited by JimandStan

My husband sometimes wears a jacket..especially on the holiday cruises. He feels it is a matter of respect, even if it isn't necessary! All Californians are not alike! LOL

Yes - some are Northern and some are Southern and some are from San Francisco (49 square miles surrounded by reality) :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

...Also no sandals for men only.:eek:

Not exactly accurate. The books included in every stateroom providing information about services and such on board spell out the exact policy. The dress code section does not distinguish between men and women; in fact that is not stated anywhere. However, that same section specifies that no "rubber or plastic" sandals are accepted (essentially, no flip flops). I wear closed-toe "fisherman" style leather sandals and have always been accepted in any on-board venue.

I also have leather open toe strap-style sandals that I wear during the day, but I personally don't think they are dressy enough to match my sensibilities of acceptable dinner wear, although they are technically permitted. I feel the same way about cargo pants, even though they are not shorts and are therefore technically acceptable. I also limit the wearing of golf shirts at restaurants for the most part, for the same reasons, even though they, too, are technically acceptable.

The point is, as long as you meet, or exceed, the minimalist recommendations of Oceania's dress code -- no swimwear, shorts, T-shirts, tank tops, rubber or plastic sandals at dinner in the specialty restaurants or Grand Dining Room in the evening -- the rest is up to each individual and their sensibility.

For me, that is sort-of-dressy khakis, dockers or dressy slacks, mostly dressy long-sleeved button-front shirts, closed toe leather sandals, sometimes a sport coat when I'm in the mood (not dependent on the location), sometimes a dressy collarless shirt (like a dress T-shirt) under the sport coat (just to bend the rules a little -- the jacket has the collar ;)), and rarely a golf or polo type shirt if the weather and itinerary are really casual. Those, my personal standards, exceed the minimum "rules".

Bottom line -- I personally have never seen anyone who didn't look nice.

My husband sometimes wears a jacket..especially on the holiday cruises. He feels it is a matter of respect, even if it isn't necessary! All Californians are not alike! LOL

Your husband may live where he chooses, Caroldoll, but that does not make him a Californian-

As my Grandmother used to say, a mouse may live in a Stable but doing so does not make him a horse! :D

Jackets are not required, mostly end of story.

However, where I do differ from ordestrapal is in the blanket use of the word "most". I would agree that in the GDR, Toscana, and Red Ginger ( it's so dark in the restaurant it's hard to tell what people wear!) that most of the patrons are not in jackets. However, don't be surprised if you go to Jacques, Polo Grill, or La Reserve and find most of the men in jackets. So the answer typically lies in where one is dining.;)

For me, that is sort-of-dressy khakis, dockers or dressy slacks, mostly dressy long-sleeved button-front shirts, closed toe leather sandals, sometimes a sport coat when I'm in the mood (not dependent on the location), sometimes a dressy collarless shirt (like a dress T-shirt)) under the sport coat (just to bend the rules a little -- the jacket has the collar ;)), and rarely a golf or polo type shirt if the weather and itinerary are really casual. Those, my personal standards, exceed the minimum "rules".

Out of curiosity, can you explain "dressy collarless shirt" and "dress T-shirt" a bit more? We just can't picture same.

Out of curiosity, can you explain "dressy collarless shirt" and "dress T-shirt" a bit more? We just can't picture same.

Mine is a Geoffrey Beene design, made with a different weave than typical t-shirt jersey, burgundy with a subtle multi-color weave, and, while it has a typical round collarless t-shirt neck, the neck is underlayed with a separate layer of black that barely shows. As I said, I never wear it without a jacket, which provides the necessary collar.

I personally don't care for the v-neck designs shown by Jim; reminds me of cotton undershirts. Probably comes from the same mindsets of girls with bra straps showing.

Jim also occasionally wears a nice navy blue dressy tee under a sport coat; I have a picture of him in it, but he gets angry at me if I show his picture :p. To be fair, I also have a photo of me in mine with a silk sports coat; I didn't post it because it shows too much of the pot belly I try to hide with the jacket :o.

It's a look made famous by Sonny Crockett in Miami Vice; sadly neither Jim nor I look like Sonny Crockett :rolleyes:.

1361737683_tumblr_lrl7yo21Os1r1090wo1_1280.jpg

Edited by hondorner

So are you saying if you put a Jacket over the T-Shirt the NO T-shirt at dinner does not apply :confused:

Is this like the designer jeans VS jeans rule ?

So if the T-shirt is a designer label & you put a jacket over it no problem

I am going for popcorn;)

So are you saying if you put a Jacket over the T-Shirt the NO T-shirt at dinner does not apply :confused:

So if the T-shirt is a designer label & you put a jacket over it no problem

There really are collarless mens' shirts that look very nice with a jacket. The shape may be that of a "t-shirt" but the fabric is often silk, or silk-like, and can be quite stylish. i.e we are not talking about a white Hanes t-shirt or the like. If a man wore a jacket over a turtleneck in the winter, few would argue that he wasn't dressed nicely; the "dressy collarless shirt" with a jacket is more or less the summer time equivalent of that look.