MDR attire....

uilleann

[quote name='magandab']I agree with several posters including 1160451. I honestly don't care what you wear to dinner, within reason. What I don't get is why people book a cruise with a cruise line that is very clear about their policies, including dress code, wine allowances, and the like, and then immediately post about how they want to, intend to, and need advice on how to, circumvent those policies. If you don't like what the cruise line has to offer, go somewhere else; there are tons of options out there to fit everyone.

If this is the only line that offers the itinerary you want, or if someone else "forced" you to cruise on a line you are at odds with, grow up, put on your big girl/big boy panties, and follow the rules for a couple of weeks, max. You don't want to dress according to the line's guidelines? Eat in the Lido on formal night.

I realize it's your vacation, that you paid for, but that doesn't mean you get to alter the cruise line's way of doing things to suit you. We bring formal(enough) wear but if we don't feel like putting it on when formal night follows a very busy day, we make other dinner arrangements. We don't insist that the line change the rules for us. We don't dress according to what other passengers expect of us, but according to the rules/suggestions/guidelines that were clearly spelled out and available before we put our dollars on the line.[/quote]

Very well said.....there are options on HAL to suit everyone's "attire desires"..

[quote name='LMaxwell'] ...

The traditions of formality have long since been dead. People do not board cruise ships because they need to go somewhere; they are roundy round trips taken for pleasure, not because a family is moving to a land with new opportunities. There is no class system on board anymore either. Formal dress separated the upper crust from the poor. Now whether you have a $15K suite or a $500 inside room, once you are sitting in the MDR or on a pool lounger you are all the same. It is very egalitarian of a setting.

...[/quote]

It seems the "class system" is being restored on many ships, and not a moment too soon. When I first started going to sea over 40 years ago - mainly on liner voyages - all liners were divided into First Class and Tourist. First Class was very formal and Tourist was informal - which by today's standards would meet the definition of formal considering how the Queen's English has been downgraded. Cunard (my favourite line) has long had the Queen's and Princess Grills. MSC, NCL and I believe one other are introducing a similar "class system" with separate deck space, lounge(s) and restaurant. HAL has the Neptune Lounge which is a sort of class system for those in suites.

Not being "to the manor born" I have not always travelled in First Class or the Cunard Grills, but sometimes in very modest accommodations depending on our circumstances from time to time. Whether in First, Tourist or the Grills we have always enjoyed our crossings and cruises. It's a shame that many people take exception to a dress code, even with the dumbed-down definitions prevalent at the current time. Alternative venues are always available to those who wish to dress as though they are on an aeroplane.

By the way: some people do board a ship to go somewhere. The traditional Atlantic crossing is alive and well on Cunard. This spring we are taking the Queen Mary 2 in both directions across the "pond."

[quote name='david,Mississauga']It seems the "class system" is being restored on many ships, and not a moment too soon. When I first started going to sea over 40 years ago - mainly on liner voyages - all liners were divided into First Class and Tourist. First Class was very formal and Tourist was informal - which by today's standards would meet the definition of formal considering how the Queen's English has been downgraded. Cunard (my favourite line) has long had the Queen's and Princess Grills. MSC, NCL and I believe one other are introducing a similar "class system" with separate deck space, lounge(s) and restaurant. HAL has the Neptune Lounge which is a sort of class system for those in suites.

Not being "to the manor born" I have not always travelled in First Class or the Cunard Grills, but sometimes in very modest accommodations depending on our circumstances from time to time. Whether in First, Tourist or the Grills we have always enjoyed our crossings and cruises. It's a shame that many people take exception to a dress code, even with the dumbed-down definitions prevalent at the current time. Alternative venues are always available to those who wish to dress as though they are on an aeroplane.

By the way: some people do board a ship to go somewhere. The traditional Atlantic crossing is alive and well on Cunard. This spring we are taking the Queen Mary 2 in both directions across the "pond."[/quote]

I don't view the offerings of NCL or MSC to be the reintroduction of a caste system. Not in the least. I think as cruise ships got bigger and bigger there ended up being exponential more people crammed into a smaller and smaller space. Larger and larger ship primarily means more decks; many of which are hotel space.

Cruise lines that offer these additional partial decks and / or enclaves realize a certain percentage of the market will spend more money for a less crowded area.

I don't snub my nose at dress code, but I do believe words have meanings. HAL is stronger worded than others. Other lines do not even use the word "code" and their dining room staff do not seem to "enforce" suggestions.

I do think it is interesting that you have a viewpoint of a seasoned traveler and I am looking at it from a vacationer point of view. A traveler and a vacationer are two very different types of people I believe. A traveler, or a traveler in style, if off to see new places and have rich experiences. A vacationer wants a week off of work, phone off, suits = no. That's a broad brush I use, but just highlighting what I perceive to be the differences in our viewpoints.

I think it is great that you get to do a dual crossing on a Cunard ship this year. That is an experience I'd like to have one day.

[quote name='LMaxwell']It is in fact mainly on cruise critic that you will see others try to make it seem like it is a hard and fast rule that those that do not go full formal are required to dine elsewhere when that is not the truth. [/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]LOL! That is so not correct. HAL requests nothing close to "full formal" when a man dresses to code when wearing a jacket w/tie. That's not even close to "full formal". [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='RuthC'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]LOL! That is so not correct. HAL requests nothing close to "full formal" when a man dresses to code when wearing a jacket w/tie. That's not even close to "full formal". [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

As always,we're here to help. From Wikipedia (so you know it's true!)

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formal_wear[/url]

Please direct all comments and complaints to feedback - at- Wikipedia - dot - com

[quote name='LMaxwell']I don't view the offerings of NCL or MSC to be the reintroduction of a caste system.
....[/quote]

I don't think of it as a caste system, but a travel class system. It is similar to trains, planes and many hotels. Those who wish to pay more get better surroundings, food, service, etc. When I have enjoyed Cunard's Grills I have met at our table many people who, like us, are of modest means but consider the splurge worth it. When we have travelled in the basic part of the ships - what was once called Tourist Class - we have met people who are obviously much better off than us. As far as dress goes, it is essentially the same in all "classes" aboard Cunard. Cunard is very formal and from my observations 95% of men wear a tuxedo. I suspect if HAL starts a "Grills" type of upgraded service that it would attract the same sort of clientèle, based on what people wish to spend as opposed to separating people by "caste."

I intend to take a HAL cruise next year (although we haven't decided where) and I hope my tuxedo won't seem out of place. My wife has simple long dresses, meaning she doesn't dress like Cinderella going to the ball. :)

Our planned transatlantic round trip is indeed a treat. We normally sail over and fly home, but I'm getting fed up with long flights.

[quote name='david,Mississauga']I don't think of it as a caste system, but a travel class system. It is similar to trains, planes and many hotels. Those who wish to pay more get better surroundings, food, service, etc. When I have enjoyed Cunard's Grills I have met at our table many people who, like us, are of modest means but consider the splurge worth it. When we have travelled in the basic part of the ships - what was once called Tourist Class - we have met people who are obviously much better off than us. As far as dress goes, it is essentially the same in all "classes" aboard Cunard. Cunard is very formal and from my observations 95% of men wear a tuxedo. I suspect if HAL starts a "Grills" type of upgraded service that it would attract the same sort of clientèle, based on what people wish to spend as opposed to separating people by "caste."

I intend to take a HAL cruise next year (although we haven't decided where) and I hope my tuxedo won't seem out of place. My wife has simple long dresses, meaning she doesn't dress like Cinderella going to the ball. :)

Our planned transatlantic round trip is indeed a treat. We normally sail over and fly home, but I'm getting fed up with long flights.[/quote]

I have 'adequate' means and usually do a Neptune Suite, however, if the Neptune is more that 2x a veranda on a decent deck I do the veranda -- however if an upsell comes that is much less than the original price, I will take it.

Also, my DH wears a Tux, I wear a long formal -- not a ball gown for formal nights. The reason, not in the least, is there is no room for a true ball gown in the dining room. Edited by momatibm

You'd think that everything has been said. But, no, I've got to add my two cents.

First, I'm someone who generally follows the rules/codes/whatever, and to do so, I have to make compromises, which means choices. My choice is to have dressy clothes so that I can eat in the MDR with people waiting on me. My choice is to bring more luggage than I really want to. And pay for that. My choice is to have laundry service, at a cost, to minimize everyday wear to be packed, so that I'll have room for the dressy clothes and shoes and wraps and jewelry. My choice is to have more than one dressy outfit, so that I won't stink from wearing the same dress six times. Having made all these choices and compromises, at a cost, I don't much like it when others get the same benefits without compromise.

It's all about choices. People who don't want to dress up don't have to, but that choice means they don't get to eat in the MDR at dinner on formal nights.

All that said, I'd be just as happy not to have to worry so much about clothing, but I made a choice that dictates doing so. My choice was to sail HAL because the itinerary is rich and because the long length of the cruise means I won't have to book three cruises (and expensive flights each time) when one will do.

:pRant over!

[quote name='DeckLife']You'd think that everything has been said. But, no, I've got to add my two cents.

First, I'm someone who generally follows the rules/codes/whatever, and to do so, I have to make compromises, which means choices. My choice is to have dressy clothes so that I can eat in the MDR with people waiting on me. My choice is to bring more luggage than I really want to. And pay for that. My choice is to have laundry service, at a cost, to minimize everyday wear to be packed, so that I'll have room for the dressy clothes and shoes and wraps and jewelry. My choice is to have more than one dressy outfit, so that I won't stink from wearing the same dress six times. Having made all these choices and compromises, at a cost, I don't much like it when others get the same benefits without compromise.

It's all about choices. People who don't want to dress up don't have to, but that choice means they don't get to eat in the MDR at dinner on formal nights.

All that said, I'd be just as happy not to have to worry so much about clothing, but I made a choice that dictates doing so. My choice was to sail HAL because the itinerary is rich and because the long length of the cruise means I won't have to book three cruises (and expensive flights each time) when one will do.

:pRant over![/quote]

I like your rant.:D And I so agree. I enjoy dressing up for dinner, whether it is smart casual or formal night. It's a nice change from the pace of the day. But if I don't want to, I guess I could always eat somewhere else or have room service.

Where we live "dressed up" is [B][I]clean [/I][/B]jeans and a [B] [I]pressed [/I][/B]top of some sort, preferably not plaid flannel :D If we didn't cruise, I'd never have a chance to enjoy my nice clothes :D Edited by CowPrincess

[quote name='DeckLife']You'd think that everything has been said. But, no, I've got to add my two cents.

====SNIP ===j
:pRant over![/QUOTE]

I do so enjoy a quality rant! Thank you.

[quote name='babyher'][quote name='CowPrincess']I think it is really unfortunate that your brother didn't show more consideration for your preferences when he made the arrangements.

From some of your posts, I suspect you are really dreading this experience. I hope you find a way to enjoy yourself on the cruise.[/QUote

I can sympathize with the OP . I could only imagine a vacation my sister would plan for me if I let her . :([/QUOTE]

I only WISH someone would plan and pay for a cruise for me - especially on a HAL ship - I'd probably get stuck on a 20k passenger party boat where wifebeater and basketball shorts were the clothing options for dressy night....

I am missing some of the posts here because of my ignore list.... But i end up seeing stuff quoted anyway... Oh well....

For the record i am looking forward to being with my brothers and their wives as we enjoy Alaska. There are lots of things that I do not like about cruises, like formal wear, but if you do anything with a group of people you have to compromise here and there.

Further, i have not expressed any of my negative opinions about cruises to my bothers so anything they have set up I have no complaints with. I am fine with the arrangements. I am going to have a great trip with a certain amount of whining along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

[quote name='babyher'][quote name='CowPrincess']I think it is really unfortunate that your brother didn't show more consideration for your preferences when he made the arrangements.

From some of your posts, I suspect you are really dreading this experience. I hope you find a way to enjoy yourself on the cruise.[/QUote

I can sympathize with the OP . I could only imagine a vacation my sister would plan for me if I let her . :([/QUOTE]

I think my sister would knowingly book me on the Titanic. :(

[quote name='uilleann']I am missing some of the posts here because of my ignore list.... But i end up seeing stuff quoted anyway... Oh well....

For the record i am looking forward to being with my brothers and their wives as we enjoy Alaska. There are lots of things that I do not like about cruises, like formal wear, but if you do anything with a group of people you have to compromise here and there.

Further, i have not expressed any of my negative opinions about cruises to my bothers so anything they have set up I have no complaints with. I am fine with the arrangements. I am going to have a great trip with a certain amount of whining along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD[/QUOTE]

I do hope you have a great trip. Try to go into it with an open mind and enjoy everything the cruise has to offer. You are certainly not the only one who has approached a cruise with apprehension. People here will be concerned about reports of malfunctioning a/c and toilets, slow service, poor quality food, you name it, and it seems to overtake their enjoyment and excitement of going on a cruise vacation. As had been stated many times here, after all, you are on vacation! Make the best of it, and try not to focus on the negatives.

Best wishes for an enjoyable cruise with your family! :) Edited by RJ2002

[B]I am so done with even caring what anyone but DH and I wear in MDR. If you want to show up in whatever get up that suits you, go for it. Just be aware you could be turned away. Don't take it out on the staff person who is tasked with telling you if you are dressed inappropriately. We all know what is expected of us, what is appropriate and we either comply or we don't.

If you don't comply, you should be willing to accept the consequences.

[/B]

Absolutely agree.

People need to lighten up. It is only a vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Besides, it is no use being bothered about something over which you have no control or something that, in the whole scheme of things, means so little for such a very short time......ie what others happen to be wearing on their cruise. Edited by iancal

[quote name='RJ2002']I do hope you have a great trip. Try to go into it with an open mind and enjoy everything the cruise has to offer. You are certainly not the only one who has approached a cruise with apprehension. People here will be concerned about reports of malfunctioning a/c and toilets, slow service, poor quality food, you name it, and it seems to overtake their enjoyment and excitement of going on a cruise vacation. As had been stated many times here, after all, you are on vacation! Make the best of it, and try not to focus on the negatives.

Best wishes for an enjoyable cruise with your family! :)

edit: I just saw your posting on the main HAL forum, and see others have suggested Enterprise. They are probably a good bet for you.[/QUOTE]

I'm still in the workforce so vacation is precious to me. I think a functioning toilet and working a/c should be the least you should expect. To not have those would be a huge downer on a vacation. If that is not important to you so be it. Don't expect others could so easily look past that.

[quote name='iancal']Absolutely agree.

People need to lighten up. It is only a vacation. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Besides, it is no use being bothered about something over which you have no control or something that, in the whole scheme of things, means so little for such a very short time......ie what others happen to be wearing on their cruise.[/QUOTE]

I really don't care what people wear. The problem I have is when people expect a warm welcome to every venue wearing a tshirt and shorts. If they don't gain entrance to the MDR on formal night I really don't want to hear about it. It's very simple.

Having made all these choices and compromises, at a cost, I don't much like it when others get the same benefits without compromise.

Those are YOUR choices and YOUR decisions. You don't have to like it if someone else chooses not to incur the discomfort and additional costs in order to have the same meal that their cruise fare paid for as you did.

Like you said, you have chosen how you want to conduct yourself. You, and this is unfortunate for you it would appear, do not get to choose the compromises and costs others incur. If you are happy doing what you do, by all means continue. If you are not happy doing what you do, by all means make a change. Your enjoyment is, after all, related to the decisions you make and CAN control, not the decisions of others that you can NOT control.

I'm still in the workforce so vacation is precious to me. I think a functioning toilet and working a/c should be the least you should expect. To not have those would be a huge downer on a vacation. If that is not important to you so be it. Don't expect others could so easily look past that.

Oh I absolutely agree functioning a/c and toilets are expected, and it would be miserable if not delivered. I'm just suggesting that overly worrying about things in advance would get in the way of really looking forward to one's vacation. This is where advance research of cruise ships and cruise lines pays off. There are lots of choices, and you can avoid the bad eggs. Of course, if an issue on a particular ship crops up after booking, and you're in the penalty period, well that's another situation.

btw - vacations are precious to me too! :)

You don't have to like it if someone else chooses not to incur the discomfort and additional costs in order to have the same meal that their cruise fare paid for as you did.

Those who paid for that same meal knew when they booked the cruise that there were formal nights and that there were alternatives to the MDR. They choose not to dress up. Fine. They can get the meal they paid for elsewhere. Paying the money for that cruise does not equal entitlement to ignore the cruise line's codes.

Rest assured, I do not let my irritation bother me for long. I just say to myself, "Oh, yeah, there they are again: the people for whom the rules don't apply. Can't escape them. Back to my wine."

I really don't care what people wear.

Nor do I. There are far too many folks in this world who worry about what others are doing when it has no impact on them. And for what it is worth, I choose to wear a navy blue blazer, dress shirt, tie, dark pants, and shined shoes on the so-called formal nights, but that is my choice!

After 15 years of cruising, DH said to me that he thinks all cruise ship food is bad except for a couple lines, and HAL wasn't one of them. He doesn't mind dressing up but hates carrying the clothes. So I said fine, we can eat at the Lido on our next cruise (Noordam), and he said he'd prefer that anyway!

But the one time we deliberately did not bring formal type clothes and ate casual (not HAL), he commented wistfully that he missed dining that night in the MDR and attending the captain's reception. Go figure!!