Grandeur Damaged?

I think that what people are saying that is cracked is the Bolidt rubber decking that is used for running tracks and promenade decks on many ships, or the teak decking. I would be very surprised if the steel deck underneath was split.

That's what I was trying to say. The steel itself does bend and flex with the movement of the ocean. The more rigid material used for decks, etc would give way long before the structural steel and would be easily repaired. More cosmetic than anything.

Is the pic from the port or starboard side?

I will be boarding her in 2 days and I will check it out. I am guessing it should be repaired by then.

ETA: I'm guessing starboard.

Edited by sharod

I will be boarding her in 2 days and I will check it out. I am guessing it should be repaired by then.

The picture I saw of the track split looked to be starboard side where the track narrows. The rubber surface was broken and curled up some. There was a visible seam between two deck plates that was not even, one side was raised up an inch or so making for a great tripping hazard.

The picture was focused in on the damage and didn't show much background so can't really say it is that upper area in the photo with the hot tub but it could be. If you can check it out, that would be great. The surface might be replaced but not as sun faded as the surrounding areas.

Long time no chat! I thought I was the last one to take my replacement cruise, but you've got me beat. We did the Dec. 14th sailing. Have a great cruise!

Good to see you on here again! I tried to rebook for October, but things kept getting in the way. I'm crossing my fingers (& toes) that everything goes smoothly this time.

The picture I saw of the track split looked to be starboard side where the track narrows. The rubber surface was broken and curled up some. There was a visible seam between two deck plates that was not even, one side was raised up an inch or so making for a great tripping hazard.

The picture was focused in on the damage and didn't show much background so can't really say it is that upper area in the photo with the hot tub but it could be. If you can check it out, that would be great. The surface might be replaced but not as sun faded as the surrounding areas.

Thanks for the info :)

Have a great cruise! We were on Explorer together last year. We are going on Grandeur too but in September. We fell in love with Bermuda and wanted to go back to explore some more.

Have a great cruise! We were on Explorer together last year. We are going on Grandeur too but in September. We fell in love with Bermuda and wanted to go back to explore some more.

I absolutely remember you!!! We were sitting back to back in Portofino with you celebrating a birthday!!! We were so close, but never got to meet :)

Have a wonderful time in Bermuda. It is probably my favorite island. So beautiful, and the people so friendly!!!

I think R C keeps deleting our posts on F B

Capt. Stu

I see that ... Just asked again. Let's see if they delete it. I can imagine they would delete these too if they had the capability. They don't need any more bad press right now.

If the Facebook posts are unsubstantiated rumors of a "rogue wave" doing significant damage to one of their ships, then I guess I understand why they're deleting them. They especially don't need any more bad press right now if its not even true.

I just read/listened to this online.

Sounds like it was not a rogue rave, just high seas & the deck has been repaired:

http://www.abc27.com/story/25084888/mid-state-woman-gets-extra-un-planned-adventure-on-cruise-ship

Person said captain announced waves were averaging 20 ft. Big deal, the waves on the Feb.28 cruise were sustained 20-30 ft. with a few 40 ft. thrown in for good measure. :p:eek: This was confirmed by the captain.

This pic is of PORT side-just outside of the Windjammer and directly to the left of the pool bar ! I was just on her last week & also have friends on this cruise..we were in 15-16ft seas and 35knot winds coming back last Mon into Tues & during that entire last day because of winds ALL the deck chairs were taken up, stacked and tied down...I find the "wave" winds and roughness a bogus story considering the chairs are so straight in the pic..and the stuff in the foreground is definitely NOT any kind of seaweed..its clearly a water trail that has come from the steps of the hottub & pool area

Person said captain announced waves were averaging 20 ft. Big deal, the waves on the Feb.28 cruise were sustained 20-30 ft. with a few 40 ft. thrown in for good measure. :p:eek: This was confirmed by the captain.

My husband and I were on the Feb 28 sailing as well. 40' waves and winds at 52 knots... when it was "calm" is was 20-30' waves. And it went on for 24 hours. I never knew I could turn so many shades of white (and green)! :D