Passport Question - Recently Married/ Name Change

MJBrowny21

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are cruising on the Celebrity Summit on 4/5 out of Puerto Rico. Her passport has her maiden name and not her new married name. I see that if you leave and come back from the same US territory port you don't need a passport, just a valid ID. Does anyone think we will run into any problems getting off at any of the ports? There is a passport office like an hour away from our home if we need to get very quick turn around. Thanks for any help!

Hello Everyone,

My wife and I are cruising on the Celebrity Summit on 4/5 out of Puerto Rico. Her passport has her maiden name and not her new married name. I see that if you leave and come back from the same US territory port you don't need a passport, just a valid ID. Does anyone think we will run into any problems getting off at any of the ports? There is a passport office like an hour away from our home if we need to get very quick turn around. Thanks for any help!

The only time you need to identify yourself with these documents is at embarkation. You will either need to show a passport with the names that match the reservation, or a driver's license and a birth certificate with names that match each other and the reservation. Or if the names do not match the reservation, then a "bridge" document that links the old name to the new one is needed. A marriage document is what this would be. The purpose is to prove you are a US citizen.

I would change the reservation on the cruise line to the passport name, and then you will be perfectly fine. You should be able to do that without a problem.

Then in your leisure, get the passport updated later.

Edited by reedl

If the name change is done within a certain amount of time after the wedding it is free.

That is not correct. It is only free if you have had your current passport for less than one year. If it is older than that it must be renewed at normal costs.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hello Everyone,

What name is the cruise booked in? Maiden name or married name?

Hello Everyone,

Besides a valid id she needs a certified birth certificate. Make sure that both match the name on her cruise documents.

Personally I'd get a passport since then if there is any emergency she'd have no problem returning to US.

[quote=NMLady;42205319

Personally I'd get a passport since then if there is any emergency she'd have no problem returning to US.

the OP said she has a passport

she probably needs it to fly to PR to get on the cruise

That is not correct. It is only free if you have had your current passport for less than one year. If it is older than that it must be renewed at normal costs.

Thank you for the correction :):)

They're from the US - we don't need a passport to fly to PR, it's a domestic flight for us.

OP - definitely make sure the cruise reservation is in the name on her passport, then you'll have no problems and won't need to bring any other documentation.

They're from the US - we don't need a passport to fly to PR, it's a domestic flight for us.

Thanks for that info

I was thinking it was only for the Continental USA you did not need a passport

We need a passport for everything ;)

The key is that your wife will need to prove she is a US citizen. To do this the name on her reservation must match the name on the documents. She can do this with either her maiden name or married name. No one will question why you have different last names if she uses her maiden name.

The key is that your wife will need to prove she is a US citizen. To do this the name on her reservation must match the name on the documents. She can do this with either her maiden name or married name. No one will question why you have different last names if she uses her maiden name.

Two different issues here- her passport in her maiden name proves she's a US citizen and the marriage license supports the name change. The question is would she need to show another form of ID that matches the reservation which she could do by presenting a form of ID (such as a drivers license) that has her married name on it. I doubt it would be an issue at all but as long as she does have an ID in her married name she has all contingencies covered.

Thanks for that info

I was thinking it was only for the Continental USA you did not need a passport

We need a passport for everything ;)

We may fly to Alaska, Hawaii and any US territory without a passport, that's why many of us don't have passports;).

Easiest and least expensive option is to make sure the booking is in the name on the passport.

Best option is to get new passport, assuming you have your marriage license and it is registered, if she is choosing to change her last name to match yours. It is not legally required for her to actually change her last name, unless she chooses to book tickets and trips using the new last name.

She will need a photo ID in the name that is on the airline ticket to board the plane to get to and from San Juan. That is a separate issue from Customs at the cruise port.

Getting on and off the ship, she needs a photo ID that has the same name as she has used to book the cruise.

If her DL has her married last name on it, she can cruise with her state issued birth certificate, photo ID and marriage certificate (again state issued).

If no documents have yet been acquired with the married name, get the new passport. It may very well be the fastest to get with the new name, if the flight and room was booked with the married name. In my state, DLs now take more time than a passport.

Edited by Algebralovr

SWMBO & I have been married a :cool: time. She has always kept her maiden name in all our legal documents and her passports. In fact where she's from the woman does not take the husbands name.

If no documents have yet been acquired with the married name, get the new passport. It may very well be the fastest to get with the new name, if the flight and room was booked with the married name. In my state, DLs now take more time than a passport.

It takes over a month to get a replacement license? In Ohio I just went to the bmv and showed them my certificate, handed them my old license and had the new one in 15 minutes.

I meant I'd get the new passport in married name.

Her passport is in her maiden name. So her flight documents and cruise documents would also have to be in her maiden name.