Celebrity Not Honoring Their Mistake

mcrcruiser

Here is a e-mail that I just sent to my TA . The issue had been that a booking agent told my TA that our on board credit would be $150 .Then Celebrity cuts the on board credit to $75 :

" Now I know that when something comes from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ,it must be in writing & especially last minute communications

Yes ,I talked with a supervisor at Captains club & yes ,I understand their policies .What I don't appreciate is that one of their booking agents tells you information & as my TA you simply pass on what you had been told & my decision to book the cruise was based on that information with regards to the cabin type & the OBC.Thus ,I have no problem with what you did .However ,I do have a problem with ANY company who says something & will NOT back it up:mad: . It is sour grapes in doing business with these cruise companies":eek:

Here is a e-mail that I just sent to my TA . The issue had been that a booking agent told my TA that our on board credit would be $150 .Then Celebrity cuts the on board credit to $75 :

" Now I know that when something comes from Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ,it must be in writing & especially last minute communications

Yes ,I talked with a supervisor at Captains club & yes ,I understand their policies .What I don't appreciate is that one of their booking agents tells you information & as my TA you simply pass on what you had been told & my decision to book the cruise was based on that information with regards to the cabin type & the OBC.Thus ,I have no problem with what you did .However ,I do have a problem with ANY company who says something & will NOT back it up:mad: . It is sour grapes in doing business with these cruise companies":eek:

We have had a couple of bad experiences with our travel agent lately, so that being said if it were me I would take what my travel agent told me with a grain of salt. Sound like you are blaming Celebrity when it may be your travel agent who made the mistake. We have been told by Celebrity that they do not discuss matters of money when your reservation is in the hands of your travel agent. Money matters must be discussed with your travel agent and not Celebrity. I understand where you are coming from but don't let $75.00 ruin your good time.

And the value or benefit was $75 or $150? Was it based on what level of cabin you booked?

The issue has to do with what the Celebrity booking agent told my TA .their booking agent said $150 OBC & the certificate is for $75 . When my TA called we booked this cruise for April 5th last minute & neither myself nor my Ta reflected on the open passages certificate ,just that it reduced the amount do to Celebrity ;as it had to be paid in full booking the cruise on 3/25 . Again the issue has to do with a mistake by the Celebrity booking agent stating information to my TA .We booked this cruise based upon known information ,at the time of booking .

The lesson is get it in writing all the time:eek:

We have had a couple of bad experiences with our travel agent lately, so that being said if it were me I would take what my travel agent told me with a grain of salt. Sound like you are blaming Celebrity when it may be your travel agent who made the mistake. We have been told by Celebrity that they do not discuss matters of money when your reservation is in the hands of your travel agent. Money matters must be discussed with your travel agent and not Celebrity. I understand where you are coming from but don't let $75.00 ruin your good time.

There are good and bad travel agent. THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO ANSWER THE PHONE AT Celebrity who are also good and bad. I would not assume the travel agent is at fault.

The issue has to do with what the Celebrity booking agent told my TA .their booking agent said $150 OBC & the certificate is for $75 . When my TA called we booked this cruise for April 5th last minute & neither myself nor my Ta reflected on the open passages certificate ,just that it reduced the amount do to Celebrity ;as it had to be paid in full booking the cruise on 3/25 . Again the issue has to do with a mistake by the Celebrity booking agent stating information to my TA .We booked this cruise based upon known information ,at the time of booking .

Wait, I'm confused. The package of paperwork attached to the passages certificate tells you exactly how much OBC you get based on what you book. There should be nothing to tell anyone. Did you think they were going to up the ante or give you more than what the paperwork says?

It appears to be a "he said, she said" situation. There is no way of knowing if Celebrity told the TA one thing and the TA is telling you another to protect their interests. Without anything in writing, you have no way of knowing if the TA is reporting exactly what Celebrity told them, or are covering their own mistake.

Without knowing for certain who is at fault, best to just move on and either be angry at neither, or be angry at both equally.

Wait, I'm confused. The package of paperwork attached to the passages certificate tells you exactly how much OBC you get based on what you book. There should be nothing to tell anyone. Did you think they were going to up the ante or give you more than what the paperwork says?

Perhaps they mistakenly thought the certificate was $75 for each passenger instead of $75 for the stateroom? I have always seen OBC for the stateroom, not for each passenger.

Edited by boogs

If you have a certificate for $75 and booked based on this what is the problem? You got what you paid for in effect. Lacking any written communication from Celebrity it is a case of he said, she said, IMHO. Enjoy the cruise and accept what you were originally happy with.

Mary Lou

I'm sorry but the issue is the Cert was good for $75 and your ticked cause you didn't get over on someone. Bad karma always follows. WOW.

Edited by wallie5446

It's still not clear on where the amounts came from and who was issuing them. However, if it was actually Celebrity that told your TA the wrong thing then your TA should be going into bat for you, so your issue is still with them, not Celebrity.

Fobbing it off to you when you don't have visibility of the discussions isn't going to resolve the matter.

At the risk of throwing your TA under the bus, you really don't know who made the mistake but you are right in that if it's not written down you have nothing to fall back on.

I've booked directly with X as well as with a TA and in both instances make sure I have every detail in writing that way I have something to fall back on. Was it an honest mistake by the TA, perhaps. Was it an incompetent rep at X, perhaps. Unfortunately you don't know and won't get a resolution unless your TA wants to cough up the $. The good news is it's only $75. Not a steep price for a lesson learned.

Enjoy your cruise and don't dwell on the $75.