Choosing a hotel in London

We have not been to London since the early 70's..so have no idea where to stay for 3 nights post Baltic Cruise. Want to be close to restaurants and sights.

I am considering The St James (taj hotel). Any thoughts? Any other suggestions close to center of London...around $1000 US for 3 nights total ?

Would appreciate any and all suggestions

The Crowne Plaza St James (Taj) is a beautiful hotel - we stayed there a couple of years ago and can recommend. A slight walk to sights however.

We like the hotels by the Tower as it is a good area and many sights are on the doorstep such as the Tower of London, St Katherine's Dock, Tower Bridge, Shad Thames , Hoho bus, River Cruises to Westminster and Greenwich and the Museum of London is easily reachable by bus but that is just our opinion. There are many hotels in this region such as the Tower Hotel, Hiltons , Novotel, Apex which are worth a google. The Tower hotel (Guoman) is particularly well placed and has spectacular views.

We have not been to London since the early 70's..so have no idea where to stay for 3 nights post Baltic Cruise. Want to be close to restaurants and sights.

I am considering The St James (taj hotel). Any thoughts? Any other suggestions close to center of London...around $1000 US for 3 nights total ?

Would appreciate any and all suggestions

The "center" of London is still a rather large place. If you figure out the specific sights you'd like to visit this time around, you might be able to narrow the search area for a hotel. Of course, since you haven't visited London in quite some time, you may want to go places throughout the entire city!

In that case, I recommend you find a hotel convenient to a London Underground station first and foremost and in a good restaurant area second. I find that after a day of going all over the city and doing a lot of walking, I prefer to eat dinner just a short walk away from my hotel. In the morning, when I'm full of energy, I don't mind the walk or subway ride to where ever I want to go, but by the end of the day a nearby hotel is a treat!

Incidentally, you may want to think about going to the theater. London, is the only place where my husband and I plan on scheduling something after dinner. Even after a long day of touring, we seem to be able to summon the energy to enjoy a good West End musical or comedy. However we have no confidence in our ability to stay awake through a serious drama, no matter how wonderful! (You can use the Ticketron UK site or ask your concierge to handle your ticket purchases.)

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Most of "tourist" London stretches from The Victoria & Albert museum / Albert Hall / Hyde Park in the west to The Tower of London / Tower Bridge in the east, and from Oxford Street in the north to a narrow strip along the South Bank of the river (London Eye / Tate Modern / Shakespeare's Globe theatre) to the south.

A hotel anywhere in that area will be close to some sights, but close to a tube station & ho-ho route is ideal for other sights. My own preference is for the County Hall / London Eye area because a great many sights are walkable and it's perhaps the best compromise between cost & convenience.

Cheaper accommodation further out is OK as long as it's handy to a tube station, but has the disadvantage of either wasted time between day & evening or a very long day without the opportunity to relax or freshen-up or for a change of clothes.

As PNN's comment, at the end of a busy day it's good to be able to just pop out to a choice of restaurants/entertainment local to your hotel.

The Taj is tolerably convenient and in a "good" area. A walk of five minutes or so to Buckingham Palace, a ho-ho, a tube station, & St James Park, and 10-15 min walk from the Westminster sights (Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Cabinet War Rooms, etc) .

Not an area for night-life, but that means it should be reasonably quiet. And there'll be a few restaurants & pubs within walking distance.

JB :)

We are also looking for a hotel in London for a pre-cruise stay.

Any suggestions for a hotel near the London Eye?

Premier Inn County Hall, Premier Inn Waterloo, Park Plaza County Hall, Park Plaza Westminster Bridge, and London Marriot County Hall get frequent positive mentions on this forum.

JB :)

We are also looking for a hotel in London for a pre-cruise stay.

Any suggestions for a hotel near the London Eye?

After doing lots of research and reading online opinions I've come to the conclusion that the newly built Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo located on Waterloo Road is about the best buy for the area. Depending on how many nights you're considering they give a price break at six nights. It's also convenient to the Waterloo train station and many other sites.

Notice it also includes free wifi and breakfast!!!

Link: http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hampton-by-hilton-london-waterloo-LONWLHX/index.html

Edited by gottagocit

After doing lots of research and reading online opinions I've come to the conclusion that the newly built Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo located on Waterloo Road is about the best buy for the area. Depending on how many nights you're considering they give a price break at six nights. It's also convenient to the Waterloo train station and many other sites.

Link: http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/hampton-by-hilton-london-waterloo-LONWLHX/index.html

Thank you for the information. We're not sure how long we will be in London, I know it won't be long enough!

:)

You might look into Durrants, a lovely English hotel on George Street.

http://www.durrantshotel.co.uk/

It is a privately-owned 92 bedroom Georgian townhouse hotel, a quiet and stylish retreat. It sets quietly a bit north of Oxford Street, Selfridge's, Manchester Square, and the Wallace Collection. The house has a nice feeling, not a get 'em in, get 'em out style. From there you can easily navigate London.

Book directly, or if you've experience with the sites, check through expedia.com, orbitz.com or tripadvisor.co.uk/

Notice it also includes free wifi and breakfast!!!

I'd say the hotels in the immediate vicinity of County Hall are significantly better situated than this property. Fine if you are getting a good deal, but I'd prefer to be by the river, not a few hundred yards south of Waterloo station.

After 36 lengthy stays in London I would recommend the Raddison chain especially the Blu hotels. The are all in the Trafalgar/ Leicester Square areas.

Free wifi very well run old buildings with all mod cons and three Underground stops within a block or two. They are also walking distance to many sights I would never consider staying near, Eye, Tower of

Suites at the Radisson Blu Hampshire are fantastic as is the staff.

Thanks for the previous responses. I ostly want to be able to walk to dinner, breakfast, shops, nice area. I am willing to take a cab to theaters and such as I am not able to walk more than a mile or 2 easily (and then only in comfy walking shoes or sneakers, not my dress shoes).

Those things considered I am looking at the Crown Plaza - Kensington, Rembrandt Hotel, Hilton Hotel Greenpark, and Double Tree Hilton in Hyde Park. all seem reasonably priced, wifi and continental breakfast.

Help...I will return the favor with advice on California :)

After doing lots of research and reading online opinions I've come to the conclusion that the newly built Hampton by Hilton London Waterloo located on Waterloo Road is about the best buy for the area.
I'd say the hotels in the immediate vicinity of County Hall are significantly better situated than this property. Fine if you are getting a good deal, but I'd prefer to be by the river, not a few hundred yards south of Waterloo station.
Its main saving grace is that it's almost next door to Masters Superfish, if you want fish and chips. It's also very convenient for the Old Vic Theatre, if you're seeing a show there. Otherwise it is indeed a little off the beaten track and perhaps a hundred yards or so beyond what many tourists would consider their comfort zone.

I totally agree. The hotels in the County Hall / Westminster Bridge area are a better choice when it comes to convenience and IMO well worth the extra expense. We chose the Westminster Bridge Park Plaza hotel for our upcoming visit to London. This area is within walking distance of the Houses of Parliament, Westminster Abbey, and the Churchill Museum plus it provides fairly easy access to the London Tube stations on both sides of the River Thames (Waterloo and the Westminster tube stations).

Bob

Those things considered I am looking at the Crown Plaza - Kensington, .......

We have stayed in London just twice. Once this past May and once this past November. The first time we stayed near Paddington Station at an Indigo property and in November we were just around the corner from this Crown Plaza. Of the two, we preferred the Kensington area.

From the near-by Gloucester Road Tube station we were able to easily and quickly visit the sights. There are numerous shops and restaurants in the area. We used the Heathrow express to get to Paddington back in May and the Tube from Heathrow in November. We did have to carry our luggage up a short flight of stairs at the Gloucester Road Station, the remainder was in an elevator. The ride on the Tube is on the Piccadilly Line and takes about 40 -45 mins. The trains are comfortable and have space for luggage as long as you are not traveling during the morning or evening rush periods.

We are booked into the Millennium Gloucester for this coming August for 3 nights which is again around the corner from the Crowne Plaza. I have my doubts that you will be able to stay at the CP for just $1000 for 3 nights though. Most of the restaurants are to be found on Gloucester Road. For August trip there will be 4 of us so we are considering a private car for the transfer. IMHO the Kensington area is well suited to short term visitors traveling to and from Heathrow. There is a good range of hotel offerings of a variety of price ranges.

We considered the County Hall area for each of these visits but after seeing the area, we are happy with the choices we have made. The same goes for the hotel choices in the area around Victoria Station.

Good luck.

I won't recommend a hotel that I have not visited, yet. But, we have a reservation for the Tower of London Doubletree hotel for 3 nights. It is less than a block from the Tower, a tube and national rail station. It is less than a mile walk to the London Bridge, Shard and Southwark Cathedral.

They currently have a special for a 3-night stay for 111 GBP per night. While we found a few hotels less than that, they were not in as prime location. Also, they sometimes lack something we wanted. For example, we wanted a room that had a safe, hair dryers, etc.

I am not trying to discourage you from the Premier Inns. But,--check some of the US large hotel chains and see if they have any special that work for you.

I second the motion of DragonOfTheSeas, only we have actually stayed at the Doubletree Tower of London. It does have the amenities s/he mentioned and the service is very good. It's well-located only about half a block from the Tower Bridge tube station, and the Tower Bridge and Tower of London are right there. Plenty of eating nearby either in three nearby hotels or at St. Katharine's Dock. It's in a business district, so quiet at night. Amazing rooftop bar, which even if you're not into bars, is a great place to view and photograph all of London, including the Tower, the Shard, the Gherkin. the Thames and other landmarks. We also booked for a similar price as Dragon notes and we will definitely return.

That said, we've also stayed in the County Hall area (Marriott) and it is VERY convenient. But the prices can be higher. If I had to choose, I'd choose the former.

Edited by SixOneTwo

I think I am going to book Crown Plaza Kensington...but a little worried about convenience.

Any thoughts/

My husband and I will be staying there in early June. Our primary destinations will be the Victoria and Albert Museum and Kensington Palace which made this hotel a no-brainer, but I don't think you have anything to worry about under any condition. The Gloucester Rd station is about one block away. The Piccadilly, Circle, and District lines stop at that station.

For first time visitors, the District and Circle lines which overlap for a portion of their routes may be the most useful. In no particular order...

... the Blackfriars stop, while not the closest to St. Paul's Cathedral is acceptably close. It's also reasonably close to the bridge that will take you across the river to the Tate Modern and the Globe Theater.

... the Westminster stop lets you off close to Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, and more

... the Tower Hill stop lets you off close to the Tower of London

The Piccadilly line will take you to the Covent Garden area.

Here's the link to the official Tube map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/standard-tube-map.pdf

I won't recommend a hotel that I have not visited, yet. But, we have a reservation for the Tower of London Doubletree hotel for 3 nights. It is less than a block from the Tower, a tube and national rail station. It is less than a mile walk to the London Bridge, Shard and Southwark Cathedral.

They currently have a special for a 3-night stay for 111 GBP per night. While we found a few hotels less than that, they were not in as prime location. Also, they sometimes lack something we wanted. For example, we wanted a room that had a safe, hair dryers, etc.

I am not trying to discourage you from the Premier Inns. But,--check some of the US large hotel chains and see if they have any special that work for you.

What month was the stay planned when you quoted a rate of 111GBP? I've checked their website and the lowest rate shown is 199 during our visit.

Thanks

Incidentally, you may want to think about going to the theater. London, is the only place where my husband and I plan on scheduling something after dinner. Even after a long day of touring, we seem to be able to summon the energy to enjoy a good West End musical or comedy. However we have no confidence in our ability to stay awake through a serious drama, no matter how wonderful! (You can use the Ticketron UK site or ask your concierge to handle your ticket purchases.)

If you don't mind what you see the Tkts kiosk at the bottom of Leicester Square has discounted tickets on the day (they are online too if you want to see what's on). The kiosk staff are really good and will tell you how good the seats are that they have on offer. However if you really want to see a particular show it's worth paying full price & booking in advance at the box office, as you can't guarantee Tkts will have tickets for every show.

What month was the stay planned when you quoted a rate of 111GBP? I've checked their website and the lowest rate shown is 199 during our visit.

Thanks

Our reservation is for August 28-31, 2014. You had to reserve for 3 nights to get that rate.

Here is the link to the Doubletree page where it mentions the 3 night special. Go half way down the page. The top couple of rooms do not have the special.

https://secure3.hilton.com/en_US/dt/reservation/book.htm?execution=e1s1

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas