Wondering?

Ginnyjen

Not knowing what type of on-board credit you have, what I have experienced is that the on-board credit is per cabin and not per person.

Check your on-board account statement early in the cruise and if you do not see the amount of the credit posted is what you expected, question that at the Front Office.

If they are not able to satisfy you, ask to make an appointment with the Guest Relations Manager.

Edited by rkacruiser

Thanks, we thought up to the last minute he would make it, but he would rather not feel good at home than on a ship for 15 days. Luckily, my best friend was going with us, so I'm still going to go. The on-board credit we got was due to the price going down on the cruise, and I read the e-mail I received from them and it is per cabin, not per person. Whew!

As others mentioned it depends on what the credit was from. The promotional offer from above and beyond was per person and when I look at my reservation is clearly marked as $75 on my name and $75 on my husbands.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear your DH is unwell and won't be cruising with you. Hope he makes a good recovery, very soon.

I'm not sure this will happen but there could be some question about you being charged a single supplement rate if you are the only one in the cabin. I hope that does not happen but please let us know if it does.

Enjoy.

Leaving for a cruise tomorrow (Sunday), husband sick and won't make trip, will they adjust on-board credit given by HAL being that there is only one in cabin instead of two? And yes, we have insurance.

I have not had this experience on HAL; however, on NCL it was per person.

We had a situation in 2003 when one person was not able to go. The insurance would cover the non traveling person but the traveling person would then be charged the single supplement.

We solved it by my sister traveling with my mother instead of my mother in law who was ill. Then my husband was going to stay home with my ill MIL and that would make me subject to the single supplement.

As it happened my MIL died before the cruise and my husband in the end, after all was taken care of, decided he needed a cruise to relax and recover after the whole thing. It was a very trying month before that cruise.

We would have canceled the whole cruise but we were taking my mother who had dementia and it would have been difficult explaining it to her. We had three cabins all together with my daughter and boyfriend going too.

To the OP, very sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he is feeling better soon.

On this single supplement matter, I'm trying to understand how this would come into play. Would it only be applicable if the travel insurance was through HAL? I'm asking this because in the case of third party insurance (or none at all), HAL would not be refunding anything for a last minute cancellation. In other words, they have collected a fare for 2 passengers. Are you saying that they would impose a single supplement on top of the double occupancy cruise fare they have already collected?

To the OP, very sorry to hear about your husband. Hope he is feeling better soon.

On this single supplement matter, I'm trying to understand how this would come into play. Would it only be applicable if the travel insurance was through HAL? I'm asking this because in the case of third party insurance (or none at all), HAL would not be refunding anything for a last minute cancellation. In other words, they have collected a fare for 2 passengers. Are you saying that they would impose a single supplement on top of the double occupancy cruise fare they have already collected?

This has come up before. There was a thread a few years ago which I cannot locate.

The cruiseline reasoning seems to be: A couple books a double occupancy cabin at the rate of $1,000 per person. They pay the $2,000 in full. The cabin is paid for. However, the husband cancels or is a no-show at the last minute. His cruisefare is forfeited to the cruiseline as they are well past final payment. This leaves the wife sailing alone at a "one person" cruisefare of $1,000 in a double occupancy cabin. Therefore, she is liable for the single supplement.

I don't know if this policy is etched in stone or only applied on a case-by-case basis, but I think that most cruisers who suddenly find themselves "going alone" would assume that since the cabin was paid for in full, there will be no further charges. It would be nice (and garner some goodwill) if HAL recognized the disappointment of a passenger who was having to travel unexpectedly without their spouse or traveling companion and accept that the cabin was paid for in full and let it go since they have gotten the "2 pax" fare already, but, apparently, that is not always the case.

I hope the OP did not have to deal with this and will have a good cruise and that her husband will soon be fine and ready for their next cruise.

Kate

IIRC there was a thread a few years ago where a group of senior women from a senior living community booked a cruise and they were rooming with each other. One person had to cancel at the last minute (got reimbursed from her insurance) but the second lady who sailed got a bill for the single supplement as the booking was re-ticketed at current price as a single. It left them in a very awkward situation.

Can't find the thread- (it likely had an unhelpful, non-descriptive title).

That also prevents or at least discourages "gaming" the system to avoid a single supplement by booking an invisible "friend" who bails and collects.

To OP: so sorry your hubbie can't go. (Of course that means you have to have enough fun for two!)

Edited by TiogaCruiser

This has come up before. There was a thread a few years ago which I cannot locate.

The cruiseline reasoning seems to be: A couple books a double occupancy cabin at the rate of $1,000 per person. They pay the $2,000 in full. The cabin is paid for. However, the husband cancels or is a no-show at the last minute. His cruisefare is forfeited to the cruiseline as they are well past final payment. This leaves the wife sailing alone at a "one person" cruisefare of $1,000 in a double occupancy cabin. Therefore, she is liable for the single supplement.

I don't know if this policy is etched in stone or only applied on a case-by-case basis, but I think that most cruisers who suddenly find themselves "going alone" would assume that since the cabin was paid for in full, there will be no further charges. It would be nice (and garner some goodwill) if HAL recognized the disappointment of a passenger who was having to travel unexpectedly without their spouse or traveling companion and accept that the cabin was paid for in full and let it go since they have gotten the "2 pax" fare already, but, apparently, that is not always the case.

I hope the OP did not have to deal with this and will have a good cruise and that her husband will soon be fine and ready for their next cruise.

Kate

Thank you for the explanation. Agree, hopefully the OP will not have to deal with this situation.

Thank you for the explanation. Agree, hopefully the OP will not have to deal with this situation.

The advice given on this site (can't say how good it is) is do not cancel your husband's booking; have him be a no show.

The word is that if HAL knows in advance, then you would be subject to the single supplement, which you would be out (unless your insurance protects against that), whereas a no-show does not.

Since it shouldn't be hard to follow that advice, it might just be worth it to.

The advice given on this site (can't say how good it is) is do not cancel your husband's booking; have him be a no show.

The word is that if HAL knows in advance, then you would be subject to the single supplement, which you would be out (unless your insurance protects against that), whereas a no-show does not.

Since it shouldn't be hard to follow that advice, it might just be worth it to.

I don't think that's going to work Ruth. The Insurance is going to want proof that he didn't go, and therefore he would have to cancel.:confused:

I don't think that's going to work Ruth. The Insurance is going to want proof that he didn't go, and therefore he would have to cancel.:confused:

Won't the insurance company know he didn't go when he's a no show? HAL won't know why he's a no show, and that wouldn't matter as far as the single supplement for the one who does go.