Center hump or Aft?

I really need advice. I booked a center hump on the Indy for October 2015. There are also aft balconies available for the same sailing. Which would you choose and why? I am concerned with the soot and motion on the aft but I have never had either and do not know which to choose. I usually switch between balcony and inside, depending on the length of the cruise but usually the humps and aft cabins are long gone by the time I book.

I would definitely go with the aft IF it is the highest deck. That way you will be protected from the soot (if there is any) and you will not have other aft residents looking down on you. LOVE the AFT! the wake is mesmorizing..............

We have had both, and prefer the aft. They are much larger balconies. We have had corner afts on Explorer, Indy and Serenade. Have had hump balconies on Jewel, Freedom and Oasis. Enjoyed the corner afts the most. Only noticed a little soot on the Serenade. If you are prone to seasickness, you may want to stay in the hump balconies, since you would feel a little less movement there.

Here is a website to view afts on Voyager class to give you an idea:

http://voyager-class.com//pictures/cabins/aft_73887688/gallery.html

Enjoy your cruise!

I really need advice. I booked a center hump on the Indy for October 2015. There are also aft balconies available for the same sailing. Which would you choose and why? I am concerned with the soot and motion on the aft but I have never had either and do not know which to choose. I usually switch between balcony and inside, depending on the length of the cruise but usually the humps and aft cabins are long gone by the time I book.

Never had one of the hump cabins but have loved the aft. Had an aft cabin the last 2 times on liberty. Never an issue with soot. Motion was minimal. More of a vibration than motion and I found it very relaxing. In fact when we pulled into port the lack of the vibration woke me up.

We had deck 10 and deck 7. Deck 10 was a better view but I liked deck 7 better as you could then walk to more places on the ship.

Balconies are huge. We took a hammock and were able to hang it from the superstructure. Made for a few great naps.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

We love both hump cabins and aft cabins. On the Freedom class, the aft balconies are bigger but they do have obstructions especially on the lower decks. If you can get a corner after especially on deck 7, 9 or 10 it will be better. We had 1400 on Freedom last January and we loved it. Cabin and balcony were larger. We have also had 9404 on Independence. Balcony was a little larger but we felt that the cabin was smaller than usual. We had an aft on Legend and Grandeur and there is no obstruction and large balcony.

We usually alternate between hump and aft. However, I think that we get hump more often.

I've had both and prefer the location of the hump. The hump was so convenient right by the stairs/elevators. We booked the same room on the Indy again. Were on the Liberty prior.

We actually woke each morning with soot on our chairs and table with the aft. We enjoyed though because of the layout, it was much larger or just seemed and we had our two kids with us at the time.

My son enjoyed sleeping out there each night that our room steward set up for him. Slept under the eve and didn't get "dirty".

She thought he was crazy, but he enjoyed it and didn't have to share a bed with his sister :rolleyes:

For us, hands down the hump for us. The aft too is a long walk to the elevators/stairs. May not be a big deal to you.

I think it's just preference, as there pros/cons to each.

Having both DW and I prefer the aft. You get a better view and you not restricted to see only one side as you sail or at pier docked.

Also it's much quite back there as many feel it too far to walk and the couple of extra seconds to walk back to your cabin is no big deal.

We never had a issue with the soot as some has reported.

Edited by Tony O

It depends on what you are looking for. The Aft is very quiet and great if you want to sit on the balcony and read. It is a long walk to the elevators.

The hump is where the action is. Elevators/stairs are nearby. You can also see more of what is going on at the dock when you are along side of it. Noise isn't usually a problem inside your hump cabin but it is pretty noisy if you are in port and on the dock side. You may be off the ship anyway and not notice the noise.

We've stayed in both and honestly on anything larger than Radiance Class, I prefer the hump.

We have done both. Most recently we keep booking the hump if available. I guess we like them best. We cruise with friends and open the balconies so we can have our own get together area. But, I do remember our aft balcony very fondly. The view was AMAZING!

Also it's much quieter back there as many feel it too far to walk and the couple of extra seconds to walk back to your cabin is no big deal.

To elaborate for the OP, if anyone in your group is mobility impaired the hump cabins involve much less walking. For an average healthy person it helps with the extra desserts. I've not experienced much noise with traffic on the 2 center humps I have had (Freedom, Navigator)

Edited by BillOh

Once you have an aft balcony you'll never want your cabin to be anywhere else on the ship.

Shhh - don't tell anyone.

Yeah, shhhh! Don't tell anyone!

Ahem, OP, you REALLY want to keep that HUMP cabin! Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket! ;):D

Thanks to everyone for their replies. I do not mind a long walk, it helps to walk off the food. Both options have their pros and cons, I rarely book so far out to get either. I am leaning toward the aft because I like the idea of a lounger on the balcony.

Having both DW and I prefer the aft. You get a better view and you not restricted to see only one side as you sail or at pier docked.

Also it's much quite back there as many feel it too far to walk and the couple of extra seconds to walk back to your cabin is no big deal.

Hello Tony, we will be with you on Constellation for New Year's, heard the Holiday cruises are very special! Can't wait for Key West- one of our favorite places!!

I had an aft wraparound (on Carnival). Absolutely loved the room and the balcony. But hated the walk. I felt like I spent half the cruise walking back and forth to the room. Couldn't "pop" out and grab a drink or a snack - any trip was a major venture.

I'd do the wrap around again under the right circumstance, but have a hump booked on the Jewel and a mid ship on the Indy.