Royal Princess Photos and my 2 cents

OceanPrince

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

I think we need a comeback to the people who say you cannot bash the Royal if you haven't sailed on her. That comeback in this case is: "You cannot say the positives far outweigh the negatives until you've experienced other Princess ships..." Once you have, and you're still happy with the design of the Royal, then good for you for trying out new things. Variety is the spice of life, unless you cannot go without Explorer's Lounge, two distinct separate pool areas mid ship on Lido, walking outside around the entire ship on Deck 7 (and parts of 8), Skywalkers, and... oh we've been down that road before, enough!;)

Retreat Pool: I freely admit that I'd have to see for myself, but the other ships just seem to have better pool areas IMHO due to the fact that the lido deck pools areas have major separation and they have the aft terrace pool.

On demand TV: Who wants to spend that much time in their cabin unless they're under quarantine?

Buffet: I agree the HC looks much better to me than the other (better;)) Princess ships

Seawalk: Waste of space. I'd do it once or twice and then what?

Pure elegance? Well the other ships have that too.

Nice pictures.

I look at the lido with the fountain and the cabanas and what comes to mind first is the fountain is more waste of space and the cabanas are one more example of the innumerable extra fee features on that ship designed to maximize on-board revenue.

But as I've always said, it's good to have choice and Princess definitely gives us variety in their ship designs.

I for one would love to try out the Island or Coral next. Haven't tried yet but as I peruse their deck plans it seems to me all my faves are in place - now if only they'd put in an IC (Int'l cafe) unless I missed it on the Deck plans.

I for one would love to try out the Island or Coral next. Haven't tried yet but as I peruse their deck plans it seems to me all my faves are in place - now if only they'd put in an IC (Int'l cafe) unless I missed it on the Deck plans.

Yes its already in.

Everybody better love Beatles tribute bands [or whatever is playing], because that photo makes it clear that EVERYBODY is going to be hearing them!

Also they have misnamed the Seaview Bar -- that guy has his back to the sea.

Yes, everything on Royal is shiny and glitzy. But no, that doesn't appeal. Maybe it's a Vegas vs. New York thing. I'll take real patina even if it comes with a little gritty.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Can someone comment in how the hair seating in the Vista Lounge is working out? I know it looks completely nonsensical, but I guess I'm hoping to read here that, in reality, it works perfectly. I also don't see how anyone in the bench seating can get up to leave without displacing every person between them and the aisle.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

I think we need a comeback to the people who say you cannot bash the Royal if you haven't sailed on her. That comeback in this case is: "You cannot say the positives far outweigh the negatives until you've experienced other Princess ships..." Once you have, and you're still happy with the design of the Royal, then good for you for trying out new things. Variety is the spice of life, unless you cannot go without Explorer's Lounge, two distinct separate pool areas mid ship on Lido, walking outside around the entire ship on Deck 7 (and parts of 8), Skywalkers, and... oh we've been down that road before, enough!;)

Retreat Pool: I freely admit that I'd have to see for myself, but the other ships just seem to have better pool areas IMHO due to the fact that the lido deck pools areas have major separation and they have the aft terrace pool.

On demand TV: Who wants to spend that much time in their cabin unless they're under quarantine?

Buffet: I agree the HC looks much better to me than the other (better;)) Princess ships

Seawalk: Waste of space. I'd do it once or twice and then what?

Pure elegance? Well the other ships have that too.

Nice pictures.

I look at the lido with the fountain and the cabanas and what comes to mind first is the fountain is more waste of space and the cabanas are one more example of the innumerable extra fee features on that ship designed to maximize on-board revenue.

But as I've always said, it's good to have choice and Princess definitely gives us variety in their ship designs.

Ah - but have you sailed the Royal? If not - you can't compare her others, right? I have and the positives definitely outweigh the negatives. :D

Can someone comment in how the hair seating in the Vista Lounge is working out? I know it looks completely nonsensical, but I guess I'm hoping to read here that, in reality, it works perfectly. I also don't see how anyone in the bench seating can get up to leave without displacing every person between them and the aisle.

Whats hair seating?

Great photo's thanks for posting! We too love the Royal!

Does the Royal have outside seating options for dining?

We saw the Royal in Port at St. Maarten - it is a gorgeous ship.

WE JUST RETURNED FROM A SEVEN DAY CRUISE ON THE FREEDOM OF THE SEAS AND THAT WAS OUR BIGGEST DISAPPOINTMENT - NO PLACE TO EAT OUTSIDE

Did the Royal on a December cruise and very pleased with everything from food, décor, staff and entertainment. We did choose the cruise for the ship. The itinerary did not excite us at all because we had done the ports in the past a few times. Wouldn't mind to do a repositioning on the Royal so we could get a few different ports. The new Regal is doing the Med and that will be a terrific option.

Did the Royal on a December cruise and very pleased with everything from food, décor, staff and entertainment. We did choose the cruise for the ship. The itinerary did not excite us at all because we had done the ports in the past a few times. Wouldn't mind to do a repositioning on the Royal so we could get a few different ports. The new Regal is doing the Med and that will be a terrific option.

Oct 25th repo, 10 nights, NY to FLL...Antigua, Aruba and St. Thomas...Many sea days :D

Edited by janetz

[quote name='IrishLassie'][SIZE=3][COLOR=blue]Great review & I loved all your pictures. :D Is the Retreat Pool, adults only? As you can see in my signature, we sail on her in Nov. so now I'm really excited! :) Thanks for sharing. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Yes, adults only. :)

Was there a lot of chair hogging at the retreat pool or did the pool attendant handle that?
That is my pet peeve and I will watch for awhile. If no one comes and there is just a towel, I will take it and hand it off to the attendant. :) Edited by janetz

[quote name='Host Jazzbeau']Everybody better love Beatles tribute bands [or whatever is playing], because that photo makes it clear that EVERYBODY is going to be hearing them!

Also they have misnamed the Seaview Bar -- that guy has his back to the sea.

Yes, everything on Royal is shiny and glitzy. But no, that doesn't appeal. Maybe it's a Vegas vs. New York thing. I'll take real patina even if it comes with a little gritty.[/QUOTE]

The Beatle Maniacs were a complete success on our cruise...and the crowds proved it.

[quote name='kendon']The Beatle Maniacs were a complete success on our cruise...and the crowds proved it.[/QUOTE]

I really don't ever play Beatles music as my first choice. Or second choice. Actually, I don't think I've voluntarily played it in the past two decades. However, I am still quite familiar with their music, really enjoyed Sgt. Pepper's, and like most people from many generations, we know the words to the songs when played.

The comment that I made in my LIVE thread was that The Beatlemaniacs shows on Royal Princess were the best entertainment I have ever seen on any cruise ship, [i]ever[/i], and that's out of 50 cruises.

They literally had the entire house (atrium and Princess Theater) rocking, hopping, dancing, singing, clapping to the rythym, and having the most amazing time. Every time. And everyone. Just ask anyone who has actually seen their performances.

And the shows in the atrium were simply AMAZING. The venues were packed for a reason, and not just because they were a 'show' to attend for the evening. I made it a point to see all three shows during the two weeks I was aboard.

They weren't just good, they were spot on. They were brilliant. And as Kendon said, a COMPLETE success on my cruises as well.

:D