Hair on Men ?

KruznKel

Now, now, ladies...

I dated a very attractive and charming man in college who happened to be quite hairy (chest and back). Unless he undressed, you'd never have known. And I'm not telling how I knew ;)

I remember that very sexy young man quite fondly. I'd much rather see a hairy chest than gross tattoos or inappropriate piercings. Yeck.

Now, now, ladies...

I dated a very attractive and charming man in college who happened to be quite hairy (chest and back). Unless he undressed, you'd never have known. And I'm not telling how I knew ;)

I remember that very sexy young man quite fondly. I'd much rather see a hairy chest than gross tattoos or inappropriate piercings. Yeck.

Me too, I don't like tatoos or body piercings on anyone-------men or women.

It's gross.

I don't understand the "I'd *rather* see a hairy chest than tattoo's". We weren't given two choices and told to pick one.

If so, I guess I could say that I'd rather see a hairy guy than one with fungus on his toenails. But it still doesn't mean I like hairy guys. :)

I vote with most, chest hair is okay. Back hair is not. Yuck!

Jane

Um, I don't think most people don't decide to grow hairy backs as a fashion choice. I'd guess that for at least a few of them, the knowledge that others are passing judgement, turning up their noses in disgust or making jokes about them is just as upsetting as it would be for a less-than-svelte woman who would like to be able to simply enjoy a nice dip in the pool without worrying about some cad's cruel assessment of her physical worth.

Um, I don't think most people don't decide to grow hairy backs as a fashion choice. I'd guess that for at least a few of them, the knowledge that others are passing judgement, turning up their noses in disgust or making jokes about them is just as upsetting as it would be for a less-than-svelte woman who would like to be able to simply enjoy a nice dip in the pool without worrying about some cad's cruel assessment of her physical worth.

Leo,

I totally disagree.

There are so many different reasons why someone may have excess weight - but please, let's not get into a weight discussion on this thread.

I agree that anyone - man or woman - should be able to take a swim and not worry about the fat police inflicting judgement.

But if you like to make comparisons, let's keep it apples to apples. IMO, a women with underarm hair, hairy legs or visible hair near her bathing suit bottom is unsightly and has poor grooming habits. Same thing for back hair on a man.

Unsighly hair is easily, quickly and cheaply removeable by a variety of methods.

Men have gotten off the hook easily for years with bad grooming habits and that's starting to change and personally I'm glad for that change. At this point in time the jury is still out on whether back hair on men is acceptable or not. But the tides are changing and social opinion is moving towards a hair free back. It's like leg hair on woman - in most western cultures, woman remove it. Some older european women still don't, but the younger ones do.

Whatever your view on men's back is, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. That's what this thread is about. And it's because it's so easy to remove that we can even have opinions about the topic. If excess fat could easily shaven off in a matter of minutes the world would be a different place. :)

Jane

Anyone know where to get your back waxed?? :eek:

In San Francisco there are TONS of places to get a back wax. Call just any spa - most of them do waxing.

One of my girlfriends took her boyfriend to a laser hair removal place. Three visits and he's got no more back hair, ever! They say he may need one follow-up session in 6 months to a year.

Here in NY we have a men-only spa called Nickel (original one is in Paris and it's pronounced Knee-KEL) and I think they were opening one in San Fran, but not sure if that happened or not. I bought my stepbrother a gift cert. once as a b'day present and he's been going back there ever since. (pun intended! <g>)

Jane

• 2 years later...
I just wonder what creatures are living in all that back hair???? Yuk!

Esther

Oh, that is so funny! I almost joked on my tea :D. Personally, I can't stand hairy backs/chests either. My husband has a full head of hair, but no chest/back/shoulder hair.

LOL This is so funny as I was thinking the same thing as a very hairy guy walked past me at the gym last night with very black curly hair sticking out the tops and sides of his tank top. EWWWWWWW. I find it a complete turn OFF! Like others I say wax it, Nair it, shave it, electrolysis or laser, I don't care as long as it's gone! But I don't really want to know that they had to do it or how. But then again I also prefer little to no hair on the chest and like men with very short hair and clean shaven. Guess I'm not into the hair thing. LOL

Same here :-)

IMHO, a hairy back is far better than a completely hairless chest. I see all these hairless chests and wonder, when did this hairless chest fad start? Do guys really wax their chests? Why?

Agree! JMO, but I think shaved chests are gross and so un-manly. And I hate to think of the stubble growing back.

Hairy backs do not gross me out or turn me to look the other way. Like another poster, I might just think to myself, "Gee, that guy is hairy" and keep going on my way.

(Also I'd like to note that I disagree with some sentiment that men with back hair and women with unshaved legs have poor personal hygiene. Hair is natural. It doesn't mean you are unclean or that you smell bad, etc. However, I can understand it is unattractive to certain cultural standards. :) )

Even this is a really old thread....I have to admit you are right on here Leo Jay. A great comparison........

I love hairy chests and legs on a man, and don't understand the "manscaping" craze at all.

I'm not crazy about really hairy backs, but it doesn't bother me if I see one on a cruise, beach, etc. I do not have a romantic interest in the guy, so what difference does it make to me?

Archived