Credit Card Currency Choice

Newbury newbie

What's the best deal for Brits when choosing whether to have your on-board spend account converted to GBP and added to your credit card or added in USD for your credit card provider to convert?

Also, is this option only available for Visa and Mastercard? I'll be using Amex.

What's the best deal for Brits when choosing whether to have your on-board spend account converted to GBP and added to your credit card or added in USD for your credit card provider to convert?

Also, is this option only available for Visa and Mastercard? I'll be using Amex.

Never let anyone other than your credit card company convert your payment. Some, if not many, credit card issuers charge by where the charge is submitted...not by the currency. You may find that celebrity helpfully converts your bill to ukp (at a profit) but then since the charge is processed in Miami, the credit card company still charges you 3%. Had you left it in up, they would still charge the 3% but they convert at the official rate! not a marked up rate

Edited by ghstudio

I concur with GH - not sure if different in the UK, but as Canadians, we ALWAYS have our charges go through our credit card in USD and let our credit card company convert. Celebrity charges a premium larger than the cc company.

A couple years ago, Celebrity did not do as requested on our documents and converted for us. A quick call to customer service fixed us and we actually ended up better off in the end! Luck of the draw :)

Thanks for the replies.

However, the xpress checkIn form gives you these options if you're using visa or MasterCard. Am I reading that right? I was going to use my Amex card so how is this settled? Converted by Celebrity or by Amex?

Does it charge a Foreign Currency conversion fee?

I have a Lloyds Amex and cannot always use it, due to the higher charges that the 'vendors ' are charged.

I suspect that maybe Celebrity fall into this category.

I also have a Post Office Credit Card , who charge Foreign Currency Conversion at 0%.

Do you have time before your cruise to get one of the 0 % C.C?

Make sure you tick the box allowing your C.C provider to convert on the xpress check in form.

I agree with the others. Use a credit card that does not charge a fee for currency conversion and let your credit card company do the conversion, not the cruise line.

But check your charges to be sure the conversion was actually done correctly because several times people have posted that the cruise line went ahead and did the currency conversion anyway, even though they had checked the box to let the credit card company do it.

Ok, I've established that I should be ticking the box for my credit card company to do the conversion but what I'm now trying to understand is does that only apply to Visa and MasterCard? That's how I'm reading the Xpress Pass form.

The currency conversion authorisation tick boxes come after a statement saying "For non-US issued MasterCard and Visa Card holders". So what is the arrangement for non-US issued Amex Card holders?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I suspect that Celebrity don't accept it, especially as it isn't one of the options.

I have a Lloyds Amex and cannot always use it, due to the higher charges that the 'vendors ' are charged.

I suspect that maybe Celebrity fall into this category.

Edited by upwarduk

Prior to having a USD credit card, we always had our credit card charges made in local currency, ie we did not let the cruise line do the conversion.

But....we always check with the front desk mid cruise to ensure that this is actually how our account will be handled.

But, in Canada, credit cards such as Visa actually add on a hidden 2.5 percent exchange fee.

We now use a Chase Visa card. I think that it is one of the few credit cards in Canada that does not charge this 2.5 percent hidden admin fee. Foreign charges are brought on to the bill at the prevailing daily FX rate. We travel often-this saves us 2.5 percent off the top of any monies spent outside the country. I suspect that you may have a card like this in the UK.

Edited by iancal

I suspect that Celebrity don't accept it, especially as it isn't one of the options.

But they do accept Amex, and it was an option available when prompted for what type of CC you are registering. May be Amex has a default to the conversion being done by celebrity or hopefully by Amex? That's what I'm trying to ascertain.

We now use a Chase Visa card. I think that it is one of the few credit cards in Canada that does not charge this 2.5 percent hidden admin fee. Foreign charges are brought on to the bill at the prevailing daily FX rate.

But what "prevailing daily FX rate"? There is not one single rate and, at least as far as I have been able to discover, with rare exceptions companies do not publish the rate they use. It is the combination of admin fee and FX rate that is important. Buying FX is similar. "Commission Free" can mask a much worse exchange rate.

I will be taking the advice of Martin Lewis. Google best cards to use abroad money saving expert.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Ah, where would we be without Martin Lewis. The money he has saved me/helped me recover ....

Never let anyone other than your credit card company convert your payment. Some, if not many, credit card issuers charge by where the charge is submitted...not by the currency. You may find that celebrity helpfully converts your bill to ukp (at a profit) but then since the charge is processed in Miami, the credit card company still charges you 3%. Had you left it in up, they would still charge the 3% but they convert at the official rate! not a marked up rate

Is it the second choice on the xpress pass? My english isn't good enough it seems....

Although you have to register a credit card, you don't have to use it to settle your account.

We usually carry enough US currency to cover our on-board expenses, and make a cash deposit to our account shortly after boarding. We also carry a US dollar credit card. I stop by the purser's office a day or two into the cruise to ask for a printout of my account to date (apparently that can be done from the TV in one's cabin as well), just to make sure that our expenses are being charged in US dollars.

Prior to having a USD credit card, we always had our credit card charges made in local currency, ie we did not let the cruise line do the conversion.

But....we always check with the front desk mid cruise to ensure that this is actually how our account will be handled.

But, in Canada, credit cards such as Visa actually add on a hidden 2.5 percent exchange fee.

We now use a Chase Visa card. I think that it is one of the few credit cards in Canada that does not charge this 2.5 percent hidden admin fee. Foreign charges are brought on to the bill at the prevailing daily FX rate. We travel often-this saves us 2.5 percent off the top of any monies spent outside the country. I suspect that you may have a card like this in the UK.

Just got a Amazon.ca Visa card , it indicates no fees, but we probably use our TD visa US funds card on board

We have a Chase card that does not charge conversion fees. I was checking local banks on the amount they charge for buying US$. Today Royal, BNS and BMO charge 2.5% for buying US$ above the present exchange rate.

When we register we always choose cash and then once onboard get guest services to register a card. There have been too many mistakes where a double negative is used.. Yes do not convert rather than no, I do not want conversion...

"Yes we have no bananas" is the rationale of the software. ;)

Just got a Amazon.ca Visa card , it indicates no fees, but we probably use our TD visa US funds card on board

Thanks for the info Airbalancer; I was unaware that Amazon.ca had a rewards Visa card.

You learn something every day on these forums :)

Thanks for the info Airbalancer; I was unaware that Amazon.ca had a rewards Visa card.

You learn something every day on these forums :)

from their site:

No Foreign Currency Transaction Fees: Use your card when shopping outside of Canada and pay no foreign conversion fees.*

Although you have to register a credit card, you don't have to use it to settle your account.

We usually carry enough US currency to cover our on-board expenses, and make a cash deposit to our account shortly after boarding. We also carry a US dollar credit card. I stop by the purser's office a day or two into the cruise to ask for a printout of my account to date (apparently that can be done from the TV in one's cabin as well), just to make sure that our expenses are being charged in US dollars.

Your on board account will always be charged in US$. If they are going to do the conversion, they only do this at the end of the cruise.

For UK folk, the Saga credit card also has no FX charges and also advises what rate each purchase was charged at, it is usually the same rate as the actual exchange rate for the day, not the tourist rate! It is a great card for foreign travel, so much easier than exchanging cash etc.