Activity Staff Reduction (3 Threads Merged)

jeffbook

Had a wonderful conversation with a fine Hotel Director yesterday. Told me that entertainment budget has not been reduced and the money will be going in different directions to improve the passenger experience. Spoke to another top person today who indicated that events may vary from ship to ship based on passenger mix and itinerary. This would make a great deal of sense to me. Some of the ideas will work, some won't. I believe that passenger response will direct future changes..

This is starting to sound like an elementary school science competition where kids have to build a vessel to drop a raw egg and then explain the reasoning behind their designs, and why their design either failed or worked. It is interesting, educational and enlightening when the kids are third graders, but when adults ........

The egg drop isn't really my cup of tea. Reminds me of my first couple of cruises, they had this stupid horse racing activity. I thought it was the most juvenile idiotic thing I had ever seen (I was about 1/2 of my current age) and didn't understand why it would be an activity on a ship with grown folks. But since many liked it and participated in it I just found something else to do and let them have their fun.

Edited by NLH Arizona

The egg drop isn't really my cup of tea. Reminds me of my first couple of cruises, they had this stupid horse racing activity. I thought it was the most juvenile idiotic thing I had ever seen (I was about 1/2 of my current age) and didn't understand why it would be an activity on a ship with grown folks. But since many liked it and participated in it I just found something else to do and let them have their fun.

I know -- some folks consider beaches and sun necessary for a vacation. I find walking 10+ miles a day siteseeing in European cities my vacation. I do not expect everyone to like what I like, but if they want to play bingo and I consider being forced to play bingo to be a "cruel and unusual" punishment they should be able to play bingo (assuming that they do not feel the need to announce each of the numbers over the ship's intercomm system :D)

When I started this thread, I was not complaining as we have enjoyed all of our Celebrity voyages, save one. I was simply reporting about the Activities Staff reduction in force for anyone who would be interested.

While the "product" has changed over the 11 years we have cruised on Celebrity, we have changed too and it is still a great match for our cruising vacations.

This is a great perspective and I agree. I think most would be hard pressed to name a cruise line currently in business that does everything today the way they did 20 years ago (or even 10). Some of the changes are good, some not. You just reassess your needs and see if it is a good fit.

My first cruise was almost 10 years ago on Carnival. They have changed, made cuts, made additions. And I have changed, I have (barely) aged, gotten married, had a child, etc. And my priorities have changed. Now Carnival is not going to be my first choice of cruise. But would I recommend it to someone looking for their first cruise on a budget- absolutely. Or if I really needed a vacation and they had a great deal- definitely. Its about priorities.

Edited by cruzinlisa

My daughter Valentina was a member of the Activities team for over three years and qualified as a zumba instructor just so she could give classes on board.

She confirmed to me Celebrity have reduced the teams to just two people, the activities manager and one other! Future zumba classes will be taken over by a contracted company supplying instructors and sessions will be done inside the ship instead of out on deck. Not great news for those crew members affected.

That's really horrible. My next cruise is Mediterranean, I will be off ship most of the day every day, so it may not hit me there. But I am one of those people who participates in many things on-board and gets to know the cruise staff. Having just two people is going to leave a lot of dead time on board.

That's really horrible. My next cruise is Mediterranean, I will be off ship most of the day every day, so it may not hit me there. But I am one of those people who participates in many things on-board and gets to know the cruise staff. Having just two people is going to leave a lot of dead time on board.

Well, maybe, but probably (hopefully!) not. Another poster said that the budget was to stay, but the X employees will be gone (hopefully moving to other employment opportunities). That could simply mean that outside contractors will be brought in to provide art lessons, cooking lessons, what have you. Or, as on our cruise, the wonderful dancers could lead dance lessons in different styles. Maybe some of the staff could lead mixology or even towel-animal folding classes.

In other words, although the staff is being cut to 2 positions, that doesn't mean that there will only be two people offering the activities. I hope that's true, anyway!

In other words, although the staff is being cut to 2 positions, that doesn't mean that there will only be two people offering the activities. I hope that's true, anyway!

Exactly. Also, don't underestimate the role of technology to: 1. Enable more efficient use of resources. 2. Automate tasks which will allow re-deployment of resources. and 3. Play a central role in the delivery of services - bingo and trivia come to mind immediately.

Exactly. Also, don't underestimate the role of technology to: 1. Enable more efficient use of resources. 2. Automate tasks which will allow re-deployment of resources. and 3. Play a central role in the delivery of services - bingo and trivia come to mind immediately.

It sounds like you don't ever partake in bingo or trivia.

I can see it now: Computer posts "B5" to an on stage screeen; players mark their bingo cards by rote, or perhaps the computer marks their card for them; after all their "card" is an ipad. Winner gets credit to their sea pass.

Trivia: computer beams questions to screen, or players' ipad; players answer, put answers in a slot, or touches the appropriate box on their ipad; if they win, a pen is dispensed from a pen dispenser.

Sounds like fun; no messy banter between host & guests, no getting acquainted with friendly staff members who they'll never even see again anyway.

Sign me up!:eek:

Edited by richsea

Egg drop sounds like it is for children so it was probably just for the holidays..

Less activity staff may mean fewer noisy pool activities that go on forever and less pool sports games with endless blowing of whistles.

hope they become a bit more sophisticated in what they eventually offer..flash mobs and djs-- more geared to the college age crowd IMHO!

This sounds like a repeat of when they fell in love with Cirque ..everyything was changed around and geared to that--and finally they got rid of it all when it fell flat.....

we are still hanging in there with two booked Celeb. cruises!

The egg drop is for adults. You try to build something to hold the egg and then go to the atrium and drop it. whoevers egg doesnt break wins. People have some pretty creative ideas on how to keep their egg from breaking.

Norma

It sounds like you don't ever partake in bingo or trivia.

I can see it now: Computer posts "B5" to an on stage screeen; players mark their bingo cards by rote, or perhaps the computer marks their card for them; after all their "card" is an ipad. Winner gets credit to their sea pass.

Trivia: computer beams questions to screen, or players' ipad; players answer, put answers in a slot, or touches the appropriate box on their ipad; if they win, a pen is dispensed from a pen dispenser.

Sounds like fun; no messy banter between host & guests, no getting acquainted with friendly staff members who they'll never even see again anyway.

Sign me up!:eek:

Quite right - and I'm guessing there's a whole lot more like me who represent a large, as yet untapped, future cruise market. Technology represents an alternative to completely taking away activities with waning interest while the company focuses it's efforts and resources on new activities to please a new generation of customers. Technology also means more than just computers... Communications technology could be used to allow a small number of live individuals to conduct trivia contests across a fleet of vessels introducing ship versus ship competition for instance. And by the way, a common complaint I've heard here is that there are not enough trivia contests - computer hosted trivia would allow competitions 24/7.... Lots of options for those with an open mind. After all, it's the people that make the activity - technology is just the enabler.

The egg drop is for adults. You try to build something to hold the egg and then go to the atrium and drop it. whoevers egg doesnt break wins. People have some pretty creative ideas on how to keep their egg from breaking.

Norma

Guess it does not cost much for X..materials and eggs.

Quite right - and I'm guessing there's a whole lot more like me who represent a large, as yet untapped, future cruise market. Technology represents an alternative to completely taking away activities with waning interest while the company focuses it's efforts and resources on new activities to please a new generation of customers. Technology also means more than just computers... Communications technology could be used to allow a small number of live individuals to conduct trivia contests across a fleet of vessels introducing ship versus ship competition for instance. And by the way, a common complaint I've heard here is that there are not enough trivia contests - computer hosted trivia would allow competitions 24/7.... Lots of options for those with an open mind. After all, it's the people that make the activity - technology is just the enabler.

One great use of technology now used on board the S ships is the IPad lead art tour, self guided. But they don't advertise it very well as available. I cannot even remember when I first found out about it- at least 4 years ago.

More activities like that would not be expensive and no new personnel needed.

Personally, the day is coming everything aboard ship will be perform by contract employees to save money.

You do realize I hope that most all of the staff (and perhaps some of the officers but not sure about that) are on fixed term contracts already............this includes the room attendants, wait staff, Cruise Director and all of his/her staff

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

The ship building contest would go over well with BC west (left) coasters!! There are a lot of communities on the water/ocean that have "Build, Bail and Sail" competitions that are part of the summer festivities. Absolutely way too much fun and they are hilarious. People plan all year as you have to build the boat on the beach from scratch then paddle around a buoy and back to the finish. 95% sink and thank gosh for the volunteer rescue craft. I would think the pool would be a lot safer but you would have a lot less materials to pick from lol

On the 28 days we spent on the Millie a month ago, the most fun we had (it was not scheduled but put together by a Canadian staff member) was the shots on goal contest with an actual goat net and a staff member that brought his goalie gear from home. On sea days they played 3 on 3 on the basketball court.

Activities don't have to be about napkin folding or fruit carving - the staff on the Millie came up with a lot of good stuff and kept a lot of people entertained.

I guess we might as well stay home on our computers rather than actually interacting with human beings. It's bad enough watching people out to dinner with each other not even looking at the other person and on their phones texting or playing games. YUK I've enjoyed many of the new things Celebrity has offered but am hoping they don't lose the human interaction that has always made them special. My next couple of cruises will tell the tale for me. I'm willing to wait and see how it plays out but I'm not really thrilled with what I'm hearing. It's always about the people for me. Both staff and passengers we have met and enjoyed.

Edited by Ma Bell

Good points. But like I said, you don't partake in those activities so you haven't experienced them. The give & take between the participants & the host is goes a long way in enhancing the enjoyment for everyone. I'm not opposed to changes, but changes that reduce interaction between the guests & the activities staff will not do much to enhance the participants enjoyment. And just because you don't participate does not mean interest is waning.

Edited by richsea

computer hosted trivia would allow competitions 24/7.... Lots of options for those with an open mind. After all, it's the people that make the activity - technology is just the enabler.

and at 75 cents a minute for internet access a real money maker.. :rolleyes:

I realize this is the Celebrity Board, but they certainly are not the only cruise line reorganizing what used to be the Activities staff, or what I frequently called the Adult Camp Counselors. I am now talking about HAL. The Activities staff now have special areas they run, usually they have some related formal education. Now I really enjoyed the fun and games but I also enjoyed the new set-up on my last two cruises. . But oh what complaining on the CC board when the changes were announced.

In terms of my cruise enjoyment, things are the same in the Activity arena. There are still the same number of folks working in the Activities area, just a different mix of activities. Daily regular trivia, plus a second Trivia - usually food or music related. Cooking classes, various Golf activities (daily), usually some variation of a chip and/or putt, an outdoor "sporting" activity on sea days, music and dancing lessons, Wii bowling(daily and very popular), pool and deck exercise classes (free), and so on. HOPEFULLY Celebrity is doing somewhat the same.

I do not know what is offered on 7 day - 14 day cruises, I do not usually sail on them.

Edited by wander

Good points. But like I said, you don't partake in those activities so you haven't experienced them. The give & take between the participants & the host is goes a long way in enhancing the enjoyment for everyone. I'm not opposed to changes, but changes that reduce interaction between the guests & the activities staff will not do much to enhance the participants enjoyment. And just because you don't participate does not mean interest is waning.

Small correction - I didn't (and likely wouldn't) spend my time on an amazing ship playing such games but I've certainly had my fill of them on land in a variety of settings both in the old fashioned style and with some degree of automation so I'm not completely ignorant on the subject. My comment about interest waning was based on comments I have read on here made by experienced cruisers - maybe I've been misled. Changes will come - surely they have to. I'm simply offering some thoughts on ways of minimizing the impact to those opposed to the changes.

Some of the last few posts summarize the cruising experiences very well............................YOU are doing rather unconventional things on VACATION and this is the time to chill out.

Wife and I have only been one one cruise with horse racing and will never forget it. You bet on a horse with real $$ and may or may not make any of those back or perhaps more...............lots of fun to watch people race YOUR horse on the track.

TRIVIA on all ships is a must and those prizes are stupendous as we all know.................................but then there was the one time Grand Prize Cumulative trivia on a Hawaii trip we will never forget with REAL prizes from HAL of a real sweatshirt, beach towel, hat, umbrella, key chain and rolling bag...............................sorry RCI, CCL, NCL and pretenders with your luggage tags etc. (but those days are gone I believe) (but with 2 players those cumulative prizes were a challenge to bring home from San Diego to ORF)

On Celebrity: what sold me about X was the participation of the crew in events and their interaction with passengers on the ship.................When this goes so do I; same with Glass show.........when it goes I will travel to Corning NY instead of Ft. Lauderdale

On HAL the pool games hold a special memory about wardrobe malfunction during the games.......................camera never captured the event but brain wonders why I could not believe what was happening.

On NCL, the buffet on our first and last cruise .......................never again

On CCL, fun ship but not funny enough for us..............buffet poorly designed on the Dream and if that is the best they can do.......................maybe never again?

Cruising................................want to do that right NOW and if this is turned into a Techno experience I will stay on land and not drive/fly 1000 miles to Ft. Lauderdale

Edited by OBX-Cruisers