Why are oceanias excursions most expensive

DrJW

Smaller cruise line + smaller ships = less discount from excursion suppliers, therefore larger price

Basic economies of scale.

Seabourn and Silversea have smaller ships than Oceania and lower priced excursions--so that does not explain why Oceania is higher.

Also Seabourn and Silversea do not crowd you up on a bus. I think the only explanation is that Oceania uses it as a major profit center. If one enjoys the entire Oceania experience-- as my wife and I do--there are ways to overcome the cost of excursions.

In general, I think O's excursions have been coming down in price the last few years, at least on the cruises we've been on (European and Caribbean, Marina).

That is not my experience. Same excursions for the Mediterranean ports I considered or took 2-3 years ago were priced $50-$100 more on our cruise this past fall, most of them were about $75 more (2-3 years ago, excursions were in the $100-250 range).

For the recent cruise, it was on an O ship (vs. the previous R ships for the prior cruise) so there should have been volume discount possible as well, but perhaps in the excursion pricing world, 700 and 1200 passengers is in the same pricing band.

Seabourn and Silversea have smaller ships than Oceania and lower priced excursions--so that does not explain why Oceania is higher.

Also Seabourn and Silversea do not crowd you up on a bus. I think the only explanation is that Oceania uses it as a major profit center. If one enjoys the entire Oceania experience-- as my wife and I do--there are ways to overcome the cost of excursions.

Yes, but Seabourn and Silversea are small enough that they do not have to deal with brokers but can deal with tour guides independently.

Yes, but Seabourn and Silversea are small enough that they do not have to deal with brokers but can deal with tour guides independently.

I am confused!! Before you said that smaller ships+ smaller cruise lines = higher prices--now you say that smaller lines deal independently and get a better price?

Anyway---we have found that the quality of tour guides are consistently higher on these 2 smaller lines. The original question was why is Oceania higher in price---maybe its because of the economy air being included in the cruise fare.

Because they can

As long as folks will pay the exorbitant prices, why not?

HUGE profit center. It's a business and they are in business to make a profit.

I don't begrudge them the profit. Folks have other options. But as long as there continue to be busloads and busloads of passengers in every port wearing those stickies on their shirts with their group numbers and following a person holding a card on a pole saying e.g. "Oceania 8," Oceania has NO reason to change its business model. Every one of those passengers is a $$$ sign. More power to them.

Edited by pacheco18

I have followed up in the brochure and internet advertisements of free Saint Petersburg shore excursions on the July 1 voyage of the Mariner.

My agent (with Prestige Holdings) e-mailed me a list of the free excursions as follows: (ALL with LED prefaces) 001,003,004,006,009,012,014,017,019,022,024,and 025.

My Brochure (APR1468) also includes free pre-paid gratuities, unlimited free internet, $99 Premium air Upgrade, $300 Shipboard credit and free air.

I paid on April 8th--one of last two inside staterooms.

Can these facts give you any leverage?

I have followed up in the brochure and internet advertisements of free Saint Petersburg shore excursions on the July 1 voyage of the Mariner.

My agent (with Prestige Holdings) e-mailed me a list of the free excursions as follows: (ALL with LED prefaces) 001,003,004,006,009,012,014,017,019,022,024,and 025.

My Brochure (APR1468) also includes free pre-paid gratuities, unlimited free internet, $99 Premium air Upgrade, $300 Shipboard credit and free air.

I paid on April 8th--one of last two inside staterooms.

Can these facts give you any leverage?

Sounds wonderful. You'll find the inside cabins on Marina quite adequate. We've been in several. St. Petersburg was a dream come true for me 2 years ago. Putin stinks, but SPB is a fascinating city. That week long cruise that included SPB and airfare for $2800 almost made me want to go to SPB again last week when I read the brochure. I mean, really, where and when can you fly and enjoy a week of cruising in the Baltic for $2800? Some people spend that taking the kids to Disneyland!

As to the price of excursions, I've been researching the ones for my trip on Insignia in Spain, Portugal and Gibraltar. Almost all the 3, 4 or 5 hour ones are in the $105 to $165 range, with the 7 hour ones and the ones limited to a particular number of participants ranging much higher (for some, more travel is involved, plus lunch). Just out of curiosity, I took the tour I want to do in Gib and priced it out different ways. Oceania charges $115 while Princess' web site has the same excursion (without specific cruise or month specified) as "starting at $79." If I did this excursion independently via buses, cable car and walking it would cost $55. If I found 6 people to share a minivan and omited the cable car, I could do a 1 1/2 hour (vs 3 1/2) for $55 (admission & van). My conclusion? For simplicity, I don't mind paying O $115 for simply being able to walk off the ship and follow the big round "O4" or whatever sign around!

Edited by roothy123

Sounds wonderful. You'll find the inside cabins on Marina quite adequate. We've been in several. St. Petersburg was a dream come true for me 2 years ago. Putin stinks, but SPB is a fascinating city. That week long cruise that included SPB and airfare for $2800 almost made me want to go to SPB again last week when I read the brochure. I mean, really, where and when can you fly and enjoy a week of cruising in the Baltic for $2800? Some people spend that taking the kids to Disneyland!

Straying a little OT but curious where you see this for $2800. Oh, you're speaking of a week cruise but the post you quoted is for July 1 on Marina which is a 10 day visiting St. Petersburg. That one is $4300 for lowest inside category and has the free excursion promo. The 7 day, and curiously the 10 day on June 21 (perhaps fill them one t a time) do not include the excursions

Straying a little OT but curious where you see this for $2800. Oh, you're speaking of a week cruise but the post you quoted is for July 1 on Marina which is a 10 day visiting St. Petersburg. That one is $4300 for lowest inside category and has the free excursion promo. The 7 day, and curiously the 10 day on June 21 (perhaps fill them one t a time) do not include the excursions

Sorry, I wasn't too clear. The person who mentioned the July 1 cruise on Marina was not me, so I don't know how much that person paid, or even how long the cruise is. What I was referring to was a one-week Baltic cruise which included 2 days in SPB for $2800 according to a brochure I received last week. I don't know if excursions, gratuities and internet were being offered, but even if not, the price was incredible, unless it was a typo!

OK, just found it. I was talking about the Aug. 14 Marina cruise "Baltic Marvels" from Copenhagen to Stockholm. Inside G is $2,799; lowest veranda is $4,199. It is the "Scandinavia Exclusive Amenity Package brochure, page 11. That page says 2 for 1 cruise fares plus free airfare, new free unlimited SPB excursions, free unlimited internet package, and $100 shipboard credit. Ask for promo code STPETE.

I didn't try to book it, so don't know what's available and if all the goodies are still available. Cruise goes from CPH departing 5pm, then to Warnemunde (Berlin), at sea a day, Helsinki, SPB 2 days, Tallinn, and disembark in Stockhom.

Edited by roothy123

The 7day on June 21 I mentioned in my post is $2500 with no excursion promotion. So $300 less than the $2800 one you quote in August that does include the free excursion promo.

Looks like we are all right

Researching personal/small group tours takes time, effort, and a tolerance to some risk (losing your money, missing the ship, horrible tour, etc.) O's excursions are effortless more or less but more expensive. It's a simple trade off. We opt for our own tours, and find we enjoy the more intimate group (or even just the two of us and a guide) much more enjoyable. I traveled around the country for some years in professional drum corps sleeping on busses for days on end. I have a permanent dislike for long trips in them. :)

The exception for us, is if 1) we simply can't find a tour on our own (booked too late for a small port for example) or 2) They offer a culinary tour (on the O-class ships). Those a lot of fun if you enjoy cooking and food/wine and often include exploring markets with the teaching chef, purchasing unique items, and then back to the ship to prepare them in the training kitchen. It's also usually very small format (12 or so people). VERY expensive usually, but we find it quite worth it.

Everyone is different, but agree, if people weren't paying the steep prices, they'd drop to match demand, so it must be working for them.

Oceania charges far more for the exact tour that other cruise lines offer in many cases.

I recall that my husband and I were each charged (in 2011) either $180 or $185 per person for the George Inlet Wilderness Tour/Exploration and Crab Feast. The crab was great, but this year (2014) Disney offers the identical tour for $155 per adult, Princess only $149 per person. Same length of time, same everything, but more $$$$ on O.

Since we had a lot of OBC on our Oceania voyage, we chose to take the tour, and we liked not pre-booking or arranging things in a roll call, but I don't appreciate the extreme price premium of Oceania's tours.

The exception for us, is if 1) we simply can't find a tour on our own (booked too late for a small port for example) or 2) They offer a culinary tour (on the O-class ships). Those a lot of fun if you enjoy cooking and food/wine and often include exploring markets with the teaching chef, purchasing unique items, and then back to the ship to prepare them in the training kitchen. It's also usually very small format (12 or so people). VERY expensive usually, but we find it quite worth it.

Could you tell me how much a culinary tour cost approximately? I can't seem to find any pricing on O's website. We are looking at the tour that explores Nice's markets with the chef, then a lunch in Eze.

Thanks!

Could you tell me how much a culinary tour cost approximately? I can't seem to find any pricing on O's website. We are looking at the tour that explores Nice's markets with the chef, then a lunch in Eze.

Thanks!

Have you checked under excursions for your cruise

Here is one of the culinary tours but prices could vary

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/westernmediterranean/rva140618/excursions/mcm/mcm-2ct/default.aspx

Does anyone know how much the Florence on your own ex would cost? It says that it is 2 hrs each way so a cab would be too expensive.

It was around 165 pp in 2009.

The ONLY reason we did this was the distance was long and time in port was relatively short and we were concerned there could be unexpected traffic or that a vehicle we hired would break down. Coming back early made no sense since we only had around 6 hours total in Florence. It is a HUGE ripoff compared to doing it on your own but the risk outweighed the cost.

Does anyone know how much the Florence on your own ex would cost? It says that it is 2 hrs each way so a cab would be too expensive.

Again check your specific sailing

Prices vary depending on if you take a tour package or a single tour

EG:

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcruise/westernmediterranean/rva140618/excursions/lrn/lrn-003/default.aspx

Thanks!

We paid about $350pp for a full day experience in Helsinki. It was a LOT of fun. I'm quite disappointed there aren't ANY on our upcoming British Isles cruise as it is a "Jaques Pepin" cruise - I guess lots of foodies onboard (us included). :) Oh these first world problems! :)

Seabourn and Silversea have smaller ships than Oceania and lower priced excursions--so that does not explain why Oceania is higher..

Perhaps Seabourn and Silverseas higher -quite a bit - cruise prices allows them to offer shorex at lower prices, since their profits are already secured and don't have to rely on 'extras' to meet the bottom line!

I've often wondered if Oceania excursions are priced so high either:

- because so many pax book their own private excursions, in small groups

- because O simply does not want to bother offering excursions, and thus price them high as a deterrent

Deterrent?

I doubt it

HUGE profit margins

The fact that they recently added packages and small group experiences leads me to believe they are looking for ways to encourage booking.

Chicken or egg. Which came first? Excursions were so expensive that passengers booked their own to save money or so many passengers book their own that prices are higher? LOL

I also do not understand the rationale. As you know, Regent has included excursions (I'm not fan of them) but also have "Regent Choice" excursions that they charge for. While I have not done a side by side comparison of Regent and Oceania excursions, I have with Silversea. Regent was charging 50% less than Silversea for an identical excursion. Since Regent and Oceania excursions are both managed by the same people, it is difficult to make sense out of the whole thing. Presumably, Regent passengers are paying for excursions in their cruise fare so they may discount premium excursions.

In any event, we took excursions on the Riviera last year (they were great) but we plan on doing our own thing when we sail Oceania in November.

There are also those passengers (usually not the CC type) who will only take ship excursions. We have all heard the line so frequently cited.....if something happens the ship will wait for you....... Or, they don't trust anyone but the cruise company....... So, pricing will never matter to this group.

It all goes to the cruise company's bottom line - so if they want to subsidize my cruise - and they're more comfortable and happy on a ship excursion - it's a win/win for all involved.