New Diamond Event policy

How do you know they are doing this for your particular ship. As discussed first it started with the Indy, then I head Explorer and now the Freedom.

... is there a note in your room tell you there are drinks on your cards. I'm sure I'll be using the CL as I'm not a fan of the drinks at the lounge (I like the Hors d'oeuvre - they put out those yummy chocolate cookies). :D

You get a card in your state room that describes the process, the limiting times, the beverages included and what bars don't participate.

Just trying to clarify the jargon that causes endless confusion - the original poster used the term Diamond Event in reference to the drink situation on Freedom.

As used by RC, Diamond Event refers only to the D parties on ships without a Diamond Lounge. These events do not include beer and soda, which might be the cause of confusion about rum and coke.

Nitpicking here, but if the term Diamond Event is used to refer to anything on a ship with a D Lounge, there will be some confusion.

What would you call the period when the Diamond Lounge serves drinks? Think of something that would define it better than Diamond event and I can live with that. Happy hour alone wouldn't describe something that was limited to Diamonds and above.

Agreed agreed. I think this is an excellent way of addressing the overcrowding that sometimes occurs in the lounge on certain sailings. Some people would clearly prefer to get their free drinks elsewhere, and I'm glad they are being permitted to do so on certain ships.

I would not be surprised to see some limits in the future--even if Royal keeps this program. Eventually, the Concierge Lounge would be full again without considering suite guests. Do you think more Diamond+ are being created or dying off? I heard rumors that Royal is going to redesign their C&A program to be more like Celebrity's Captain's Club, but, any discussion on that topic should be a new thread.

From what I observed on the Freedom and read on this thread, if it was intended to reduce over crowding in the lounges it was successful and well received.

Concierge lounge very small we had one of the 3 couple grab our seats by 4:30 because there are a lot of Dplus people on explorer and if the suite people come with kids it can be way over crowed.

Had to comment on this since we just got off Explorer where the lounge could be quite crowded.

To have someone come to the lounge one half hour before it opened for drinks and hold seats for two other couples is tacky to say the least. I would not be happy if I arrived and could not sit down because the seats were being held for others. Yes, the lounge was crowded last week but folks were all considerate in NOT holding seats and simply allowing the first to arrive to sit down.

We are about to take our first cruise as Diamond. Unfortunately we chose Jewel, which doesn't even have a Diamond lounge! Having an extra three drinks added to our card would certainly be more convenient, then having to go to a specific lounge for discounted drinks during the nightly "event."

Of course it may take a LOOONG while before this process trickles down to poor little Jewel.

Ann

Had to comment on this since we just got off Explorer where the lounge could be quite crowded.

To have someone come to the lounge one half hour before it opened for drinks and hold seats for two other couples is tacky to say the least. I would not be happy if I arrived and could not sit down because the seats were being held for others. Yes, the lounge was crowded last week but folks were all considerate in NOT holding seats and simply allowing the first to arrive to sit down.

Afraid I have to agree. Not nice at all.

We were on the Freedom last week and for happy hour our cards were provided with 3 drinks we could get at any bar between the hours of 4:30 and 8:00. This was done so we didn't need to go to the Diamond Lounge or Concierge Lounge, although those were available too.

I was told this was only the second week they were doing this. Does anyone know which other ships do this?

Indy has been doing this and I've heard reports of other ships doing it (can't remember which) seems to be going fleet wide. I like the idea.

We are about to take our first cruise as Diamond. Unfortunately we chose Jewel, which doesn't even have a Diamond lounge! Having an extra three drinks added to our card would certainly be more convenient, then having to go to a specific lounge for discounted drinks during the nightly "event."

Of course it may take a LOOONG while before this process trickles down to poor little Jewel.

Ann

I love the Jewel,but yeah you're right no Diamond lounge. =(

she's suppose to get one during her revitalization scheduled for 2016 I think.

Edited by CRUISEBOY305

The idea of the 3 drinks loaded onto your card, on the larger class ships in the fleet, is an indication to me, that, if the trial goes well, it will become fleetwide.

Is Royal Caribbean setting us up..........to have the DL become the D+L, the CL then reserved for suite guests and Pinnacle Club members only, and the D's left with 3 free drinks per evening in any bar of their choosing?

Otherwise, why would they be giving out free drinks in any bar to Diamond members and up?

I look forward to hearing opinions!:)

Rick

I agree Rick I like the idea of 3 drinks loaded onto your card. I hope it helps the congestion that is bound to occur on the Adventure TA with the number of C&A D and up members that will be on board if our only other TA experience is anything to go by.

Although this time we will be fortunate to be given access to the CL, I reckon this will be like a zoo, so to be honest unless RCI provide another venue, I'll be happy to drink elsewhere.

However, having been recently on both Splendour and Brilliance that have had DL's added as part of the revitalization program, it is interesting to note that neither of these lounges have a permanent bar setup. On Splendour orders for drinks were taken by a server who then had to go to the nearest bar to fulfil them. On Brilliance, each evening the staff brought in glassware and some liquor and mixers, but once again in most instances went to the bar in the adjacent Viking Crown to fulfil them.

So my view is that allowing people to get drinks from the regular bars will enable RCI to stop setting up bars on those ships where the DL lounge does not have the full bar set up (Freedom class do have them in the DL's and I suspect Adventure will as it is taking over the 19th Hole, just as happened on Mariner).

Then the next stage to me is for RCI to stop serving free unlimited drinks in the lounge and make all D and D+ get their drinks from elsewhere.

The DL lounge on Brilliance had a sliding door that was always open to enable C&A members sit either in the lounge or in the Viking Crown and servers brought drinks to either.

The DL and new CL on Splendour had doors that open to the bar area in the show lounge, so again RCI could say you can get your drinks at any bar and you are more than welcome to use the lounge to sit in to enjoy them.

The next step is to limit D members to 3 drinks (quite sufficient IMHO taking into consideration the pours provided, but that's me), and the next logical step is to say 'oh btw now it's only 2 you are allowed' and so on.

[

Rick

HI Rick,

Don't see you here much and wanted to say hi. I am Fran from last years Vision TA and Fjord cruise. Enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife and spending time with you. Hope we meet up again.

Fran & Tom

Rick

Boynton Beth and I think that once all the ships have had their Royal Advantage dry dock, that the CL will be only for Suite Guests and the DL for D+ and P. So since the DL will be crowded...the vouchers ease the load.

I

Then the next stage to me is for RCI to stop serving free unlimited drinks in the lounge and make all D and D+ get their drinks from elsewhere.

Sorry, but I think it serves absolutely NO PURPOSE to suggest cutbacks!

In addition, RCCL is constructing more D Lounges, not removing them!

Guest maddycat
We were on the Ex last week and I had the drinks pre-loaded on my card. It is a very nice perk, but beware that frozen drinks are not included as per bartenders and guest services. I asked for a BBC (bailey's, banana & coconut) and was told that drink was not included, although Bailey's is on the list. I was also told that if I ordered a rum and coke I'd have to pay for the coke. Really??? I can't believe if I was in the Diamond lounge I'd have to pay for the coke.

Don't know how it's done on other ships.

We're on the Explorer later this month. Was the diamond event held in the 19th Hole? I know that you can get a variety of free drinks at the bars through out the ship during the diamond event with a limit of 3 drinks per person per night. Is it still only wine and soda in the diamond event or can you now get beer and mixed drinks for free?

The Pinot Grigio we were offered was Danzante which was quite pleasant.

Wow. Good to hear as I only drink Pinot and up until now I have never been offered anything white except champagne or Chardonnay. Is this a new addition to drink options? Thanks

On Brilliance, each evening the staff brought in glassware and some liquor and mixers, but once again in most instances went to the bar in the adjacent Viking Crown to fulfil them.

Having a DL on the Freedom doesn't mean that over flows are not needed. Frequently the card room and game room are added. When they do that they set up a temporary bar or two and one or two hot Hors d'œuvre stations and often the whole Viking Crown Lounge is used. On our recent cruise with the 3 drinks on our card, they still used the game room and the DL, but, generally seats were available in each.

The first night we peeked in the card room and game room and didn't see anyone we knew. They were only 1/3 occupied. We went to the DL and that was not being used at all. The first night is usually the busiest so we were really surprised that so many seats were available.

Bertie told us there were about 200 D and D+ whereas the average on the Freedom is 300.

What would you call the period when the Diamond Lounge serves drinks? Think of something that would define it better than Diamond event and I can live with that. Happy hour alone wouldn't describe something that was limited to Diamonds and above.

I would (and have) called it the Diamond Lounge evening cocktails.

Again, don't want to seem like nit picking, but immediately opened this thread because I thought it specifically described what was going on in ships like Explorer. That's a subject of great interest to those of us close enough to drive to NY. I know many cruisers that go elsewhere (like Baltimore's Grandeur) because the EX only has the Diamond Event, and not a real lounge.

I would (and have) called it the Diamond Lounge evening cocktails.

Again, don't want to seem like nit picking, but immediately opened this thread because I thought it specifically described what was going on in ships like Explorer. That's a subject of great interest to those of us close enough to drive to NY. I know many cruisers that go elsewhere (like Baltimore's Grandeur) because the EX only has the Diamond Event, and not a real lounge.

Yes, this was the source of my confusion; on ships without a Lounge the nightly drinks are called Diamond Events. It's (basically) wine with a discount on select other drinks. I think for ships without a lounge where the nightly Diamond Event is held in that manner it would be better for all as well as more consistent with other ships, to offer the voucher system.

For instance, I am going on Majesty which has no Diamond Lounge. The ship has an "Event" which is held in the Viking Crown Lounge. It would be my preference to have the same option of cocktails as on other ships that use the voucher and / or dedicated lounge and have the ability to do so at other select bars.

Wanting it and wishing for it and it happening are a different story. I won't be disappointed not to get "my way", but it sure would be a nice upgrade for ships without a Diamond Lounge to start with.

Last week I sent an email asking about this policy ... here is the response I received:

RE: Happy Hour Voucher Test Pilot Program

Dear Patty:

Thank you for your e-mail. We apologize for any delay in our response.

Recently, the Crown & Anchor Society launched a test pilot program on select ships in which we loaded drink vouchers onto eligible Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club members’ SeaPass cards. This program supplemented the happy hour experience by providing guests with the flexibility to enjoy complimentary beverages within a larger variety of locations across the ship. It also provided our higher tier members with the freedom to enjoy these beverages outside of the lounge while socializing with friends and family members that may be of a different tier level. All eligible Diamond, Diamond Plus, and Pinnacle Club members are still able to enjoy unlimited drinks within the Diamond Lounge during the designated happy hour event.

The following ships and sailing dates were scheduled for inclusion in this test:

Explorer of the Seas

March 11, 2014

March 21, 2014

March 29, 2014

Navigator of the Seas

March 16, 2014

March 23, 2014

March 30, 2014

Independence of the Seas

March 15, 2014

March 23, 2014

March 29, 2014

Freedom of the Seas

March 16, 2014

March 23, 2014

March 30, 2014

Oasis of the Seas

March 22, 2014

March 29, 2014

April 5, 2014

Regrettably, we have not announced any additional sailings which will offer this program. We are very sorry for any disappointment this may cause.

We appreciate your interest in Royal Caribbean International and especially for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback regarding our happy hour test pilot program. Please be assured that we have forwarded your comments to our operational teams for their internal review.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us again. Our Crown & Anchor Society representatives will be happy to assist you. For your convenience our contact information is provided below.

Patty, we look forward to welcoming you, our valued Diamond Crown & Anchor Society member, onboard Explorer of the Seas in May, 2014.

Ann

Even if the Jewel still sticks to the Diamond Event you wll be well taken care of. Our Diamond Event on the Jewel was in the Hollywood Odessy and was one of the best "Diamond Events" we have experienced. Yes my DH had to pay 75% for his bourbon and coke, but we have never experienced such delightful service and friendships among guests. Sorry to say Lee our server was not coming back to the ship. Jewel is a wonderful ship and I am sure you weill enjoy her, free drinks or not!

They had it on Navigator on the 3/23 sailing. I liked the concept. The D lounge wasn't at all crowded the 2 times I stopped by. So that was a plus I suppose. And 4 of the 6 of us traveling together aren't Diamond, so we still got to get together pre-dinner. I got the free drinks and we got to socialize.

However, I kept running into bar tenders who weren't familiar with it, or something, b/c they stood there pecking at their computer terminals for quite a while b/4 some of them got me "logged in" or whatever they needed to do. And I asked one person "What beverages are included?" and he just hadn't a clue. Good concept and I hope they continue with it and I'm sure those little glitches will be ironed out eventually.

Sorry, but I think it serves absolutely NO PURPOSE to suggest cutbacks!

In addition, RCCL is constructing more D Lounges, not removing them!

No need to shout btw. And I wasn't suggesting cutbacks, but get real, free drinks cost RCI money, they want to cut costs. How do you do that? Stop giving away things for free. I won't be the first to think of this by RCI management.

Yes, they are adding more D lounges, but as I said from experience, less have a permanent bar setup, so they can easily say we don't serve alcoholic beverages in here anymore.

Actually if you are accusing me of suggesting cutbacks, so be it. As I said, IMHO 3 alcoholic beverages per person is ample and quite generous by RCI. But then again I'm not someone who expects to have free alcohol for 3 hours each night because I've cruised with RCI for so long, nor could I responsibly consume that much either. Nor am I someone who snaps their fingers at the DL servers and shout 'get me my usual' as I have witnessed by ungrateful DL C&A members with their 'entitlement' attitude.

Oh, and I'm entitled to my opinion.

Edited by peteukmcr

We were on Legend 2/14 and the nightly "Diamond Event" was held in Anchors Aweigh - anything you wanted except frozen drinks - 1630-1800 nightly plus the DL and CL - Hoping that they will do the same this next week 4/16 when we do our TA for 16 days! :)