Do I need my ID on-board?

Some background: I am 25 but I look pretty young. I'm the kind of person who always, always gets ID'd at restaurants and bars, and I look even younger when I'm not "done up", like at the pool. I was under the impression that RCL marked your SeaPass if you were underage somehow (cutting a hole in it?) so, theoretically, when I present my SeaPass to get a drink, it marks me as over 21. However, I know the bartenders might be more cautious than that. This is a long set-up to ask - do I need to carry my ID around with me on-board if I want to drink? This isn't a big deal, but I'd rather know now than walk to the pool/bar/dinner/whatever, and then realize I have to go back to my room to get my license.

Thanks y'all!

You might be asked for a picture ID at some venues where they don't have convenient ability to scan your SeaPass card and display your stored photo.

Edited by clarea

Some background: I am 25 but I look pretty young. I'm the kind of person who always, always gets ID'd at restaurants and bars, and I look even younger when I'm not "done up", like at the pool. I was under the impression that RCL marked your SeaPass if you were underage somehow (cutting a hole in it?) so, theoretically, when I present my SeaPass to get a drink, it marks me as over 21. However, I know the bartenders might be more cautious than that. This is a long set-up to ask - do I need to carry my ID around with me on-board if I want to drink? This isn't a big deal, but I'd rather know now than walk to the pool/bar/dinner/whatever, and then realize I have to go back to my room to get my license.

Thanks y'all!

Yes, possibly. Your picture is linked to your sea pass but not all areas have the ability to pull up your picture. See what happens on the first day and then decide.

If you are with parents, older individuals chances are they will not ask you for ID. If, however, you are heading to a bar on your own they may ask you. There have been various posts here where younger looking individuals have been asked for additional ID. Also, if you tend to go to the same bars they will get to know you so maybe you'll get asked in the beginning but then they should remember you.

As others have said, see what happens, but be prepared to get the ID if needed.

Yes,maybe. Our oldest son who is in his mid thirties gets carded frequently on royal but his younger brothers do not. He carries his ID with him as it usually happens once or twice each cruise.

Sherri

On the ship NO! :)

LuLu

~~~

The main nightclub (disco) may ask on the first couple of nights (until they recognize you). It is generally reserved for guests who are 18 and above after a certain hour.

I didn't think about it until I saw your question but I was on our honeymoon in May and I was 24 and I too get ID everywhere at home, I look young. Anyway I did not carry around my ID and no one questioned me when I ordered a drink onboard.

I think you should be good. But if you are worried about it then I would carry it around with u.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for posting :)

I was under the impression that due to your passport (or photo id) being checked when you get your Sea Pass card that you would not be IDed but had not considered that some areas can't pull up you photo. I guess some staff my assume that you could be using some one elses card.

On my last cruise I did not buy any alcohol, my partner did but had no issues. On my next cruise I will be buying the odd alcoholic drink and due to being IDed often it is great to know so I can take my driving licence with me (as I don't want to be carrying my passport about!)

Thanks for posting :)

I was under the impression that due to your passport (or photo id) being checked when you get your Sea Pass card that you would not be IDed but had not considered that some areas can't pull up you photo. I guess some staff my assume that you could be using some one elses card.

On my last cruise I did not buy any alcohol, my partner did but had no issues. On my next cruise I will be buying the odd alcoholic drink and due to being IDed often it is great to know so I can take my driving licence with me (as I don't want to be carrying my passport about!)

If I could clarify.....you will not be asked to provide an id card when ordering a drink anywhere on the ship if you SeaPass states that you are 21 or older.

Where you could be asked for an id is when attempting to enter a venue that requires a minumum age of 18 or older to enter after a set time. Some of the nightclubs have a "bouncer" at the door to check ages. These gentlemen do not have access to a SeaPass scanner at the door. They are only checking to ensure that kids do not get in the club after a set time. They are not there to see if you are old enough to drink.

Thanks y'all!

OK ... the normal answer would be no BUT I have seen the bartenders ID people on the first day. Sometimes it takes a little time for your picture to show up when they scan your set sail pass. I would definitely carry it for the first day or 2.

If I could clarify.....you will not be asked to provide an id card when ordering a drink anywhere on the ship if you SeaPass states that you are 21 or older.

Where you could be asked for an id is when attempting to enter a venue that requires a minumum age of 18 or older to enter after a set time. Some of the nightclubs have a "bouncer" at the door to check ages. These gentlemen do not have access to a SeaPass scanner at the door. They are only checking to ensure that kids do not get in the club after a set time. They are not there to see if you are old enough to drink.

Just to clarify, it has been reported here on CC that people who look young have been asked for ID at a bar when ordering a drink. Just because you may not have seen it doesn't mean it does not happen.

Many a kids will take their older siblings cards and try to get a drink. If the specific bar does not have the ability to see the picture associated to the sea pass, they will ask for ID if they are suspicious.

Just to clarify, it has been reported here on CC that people who look young have been asked for ID at a bar when ordering a drink. Just because you may not have seen it doesn't mean it does not happen.

Many a kids will take their older siblings cards and try to get a drink. If the specific bar does not have the ability to see the picture associated to the sea pass, they will ask for ID if they are suspicious.

You said the magic word...."suspicious". I doubt that the OP is going to be acting "suspicious" when she orders a drink for herself at the pool or at dinner.

There is a lot of things reported here on CC that should be taken with a grain of salt.

You said the magic word...."suspicious". I doubt that the OP is going to be acting "suspicious" when she orders a drink for herself at the pool or at dinner.

There is a lot of things reported here on CC that should be taken with a grain of salt.

I never said acting suspicious, it is more if they are not sure you are of age. BTW, is the following one of those CC posts that should be taken with a grain of salt?

Our young-looking son got carded frequently on board at your age, even when he was with us - I'd carry your driver's license.

The OP needs to know that it MAY happen and be prepared. Will it, who knows, but leading them to believe it will not is bad advice in my opinion.

Edited by akcruz

Our young-looking son got carded frequently on board at your age, even when he was with us - I'd carry your driver's license.

I was going to say the same thing!

My 23 year old daughter was asked for a second form of ID throughout our last 3 cruises, even when they scanned her Sea Pass (which was linked to her photo) at a bar, and even when she was with us. It was a problem at dinner when she wanted to order a drink, and she only had her Sea Pass. WE vouched for her, but they still hesitated and wanted the 2nd proof of age. It was also a problem at venues such as the Captain's Reception or C and A events where free alcohol was distributed - even though we vouched for her, they gave her a really hard time until she produced her DL to back up her Sea Pass.

So, what everyone is saying is that even though RCCL verified your son's or daughter's age before issuing them a Seapass that states they are over 21, the bartenders and waiters/waitresses are so suspicious that they are going to take extra time (that they don't have) to independently verify your child's age (again) at the risk of upsetting a customer (along with their parents who happen to be with them at that moment). As Paul Harvey would say....what's the rest of the story?

I guess my daughter will have to test this in November. She just turned 21 and neither she or I will have our picture ID's at the pool...or in the lounges...or in the dining room.

So, what everyone is saying is that even though RCCL verified your son's or daughter's age before issuing them a Seapass that states they are over 21, the bartenders and waiters/waitresses are so suspicious that they are going to take extra time (that they don't have) to independently verify your child's age (again) at the risk of upsetting a customer (along with their parents who happen to be with them at that moment). As Paul Harvey would say....what's the rest of the story?

I guess my daughter will have to test this in November. She just turned 21 and neither she or I will have our picture ID's at the pool...or in the lounges...or in the dining room.

The bartenders are not verifying the person's age when they ask for ID. They are verifying that the SeaPass card belongs to that person. The SeaPass card does not have a visible photo, it must be scanned on a computer that has a video display to see the stored photo. The video display might not be readily available.

In other words, it has been know to happen that an underage person will "borrow" the SeaPass card of someone over 21, and the bartenders are trying to prevent that.

The bartenders are not verifying the person's age when they ask for ID. They are verifying that the SeaPass card belongs to that person. The SeaPass card does not have a visible photo, it must be scanned on a computer that has a video display to see the stored photo. The video display might not be readily available.

In other words, it has been know to happen that an underage person will "borrow" the SeaPass card of someone over 21, and the bartenders are trying to prevent that.

I understand that this has obviously happened. But logically speaking, why would the bartender or wait staff refuse to serve the of age young adult when Mom and Dad are standing or sitting there with them without first requiring a picture ID?

I will agree that a photo ID can be requested when ordering a drink. But in my opinion, it is the exception to the rule. And if it happened to my daughter while I was with her, I would politely inquire as to the reason for the request.

I understand that this has obviously happened. But logically speaking, why would the bartender or wait staff refuse to serve the of age young adult when Mom and Dad are standing or sitting there with them without first requiring a picture ID?

I will agree that a photo ID can be requested when ordering a drink. But in my opinion, it is the exception to the rule. And if it happened to my daughter while I was with her, I would politely inquire as to the reason for the request.

Would you question a bartender on land? It's their job, and the rules. No point being upset or offended. Our son wasn't. He simply acted like the adult he is and showed his license. No big deal.

Your daughter has to carry her sea pass anyhow, it's easy enough simply to keep her license with it.

"Testing," as you suggested in a previous post, serves no point other than to give you a reason to be upset and offended.