FOTS - time zone

We will be doing FOTS within a few weeks.

My question, other than calling the Purser's desk each day, how are we going to know what time zone we are on? In other words, I want to make sure I have the "correct" time on my watch each day to make it back to the ship in time.

The ship arrives and leaves on "ship time" which doesn't change with the time zones. It will be whatever time zone you are leaving from. So just don't change your watch the whole trip and you'll be good to go. Be careful with using a cell phone for the time as they may change automatically.

The ship arrives and leaves on "ship time" which doesn't change with the time zones. It will be whatever time zone you are leaving from. So just don't change your watch the whole trip and you'll be good to go. Be careful with using a cell phone for the time as they may change automatically.

Some Captains do adjust the ships time to the local times. It is published in the daily cruise compass.

That is not correct. Some ships (or some captains) DO change the time as the ship moves from one time zone to another. If there is to be a time change (or two) during your cruise, that information will be clearly indicated in your daily Cruise Compass and will be mentioned on the Cruise Director's morning TV show. When we have experienced a time change, we have also found a note on our bed advising us to adjust our watches accordingly that evening. Pay attention to the information you are provided and you shouldn't have a problem. :)

We just got off the Freedom today and did the Western itinerary. We (the ship) never changed time so you need to pay attention to what is on your watch, not what is on your cell phone or local time. If doing a private tour, make sure they know you are on ships time (we did two and both were aware that FOS did not change time). We were one hour behind local time in Labadee, Falmouth and Grand Cayman and two hours behind local time in Cozumel.

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We have only experienced time changes on Western Caribbean routes. Never seen any on Eastern or Southern Caribbean routes.

That could be because, when Daylight Savings Time is in effect in the US, but not in the Eastern or Southern Caribbean, EDST and Atlantic Standard Time are the same so no time change is necessary during those, approximately seven months of the year.:)

That could be because, when Daylight Savings Time is in effect in the US, but not in the Eastern or Southern Caribbean, EDST and Atlantic Standard Time are the same so no time change is necessary during those, approximately seven months of the year.:)

Good point! We have cruised those areas during both periods, but never experienced a time change on the ship.

We were one hour behind local time in Labadee, Falmouth and Grand Cayman and two hours behind local time in Cozumel.

I don't think so. Labadee is same time as US Eastern Time, Falmouth, Grand Cayman & Cozumel are all the same time as US Central Time all only 1 hour behind Eastern Time.

I don't think so. Labadee is same time as US Eastern Time, Falmouth, Grand Cayman & Cozumel are all the same time as US Central Time all only 1 hour behind Eastern Time.

It's hard to lump some of these islands into one grouping. For example Haiti, is Eastern time zone with daylight saving, Georgetown CI Eastern, no DST and then you have Cozumel. Central time with DST, but then they do not Spring forward on the same dates. The end result is it's always ship's time... whatever time that happens to be:)!

This past week on FOTS we stayed on ship's time the entire week (EDT). We were 1 hour ahead of local in Jamaica and Grand Cayman and 2 hours ahead in Cozumel (they don't go to DST until yesterday I think.)

Time was the same in Labadee. Not sure if this was true of the whole island, it's possible they just keep to ship's time in the resort area.

I always just set my watch the first day and leave it alone. That way I always know ship's time.

Edited by DrD

And be careful using your cell phone as a clock. I've read it usually changes automatically to local time, which is not necessarily ship's time.

Yes, unless you stay in airplane mode. As soon as you lock onto a cell signal it will change to local time.

And be careful using your cell phone as a clock. I've read it usually changes automatically to local time, which is not necessarily ship's time.

Yup, when a phone establishes it's connection with a new cell and the time synchronization preference is turned on, it will adjusted to local time.

Which is why I put my phone in airplane mode prior to going on international roaming.

We've had some interesting experiences with ship time changes and going to Cozumel (out of Tampa on Jewel and Brilliance, not Freedom). One time we went during DST and had no change. Another time we went and changed to match local. The most recent time, when Eastern was on DST, but Cozumel was not, a 2 hour difference, we rolled back the ship clock an hour each of the first 2 nights, and rolled forward each of the last 2 nights.

Oh my, thank you ALL for your answers, but I don't know if I'm more confused or not.:confused:

Since I'm from Kansas City and we are on Central time, when we cruised out of Florida, it is one hour ahead. So are you saying, since the ship leaves Florida, we should STAY on the ships time, at ALL times??? In other words, go by the clocks on the ship?

Yes, go by the clocks on the ship. All published times in the Cruise Compass (including arrival/departure times at ports) use the time on the ship.

If the time on the ship does adjust, you will be notified beforehand in your cabin, usually a piece of paper that clearly says there will be a time change. It'll also be in the Cruise Compass.

That said, the times given for ports in the itinerary shown on the website and in your cruise documentation that you get 7 weeks before sailing are based on local time at each port (and of course are subject to change).

Edited by nolesrule

Some Captains do adjust the ships time to the local times. It is published in the daily cruise compass.

Just read your cruise compass. It will tell you if you need to adjust your watch.

We were on Vision of the Seas out of Colon in March. It is the only cruise that we have been on that changed times during the cruise when leaving and returning to the same port!

The time change was announced in the Cruise Compass. (We were to turn the clocks ahead one hour and then back and hour before we returned to Colon.) :)

Just REMEMBER that the Cruise Compass is for the NEXT day. IF it says to turn you clocks ahead or back . . . it is for the AM AFTER that Cruise Compass day!!!!! :o

I turned ours ahead that night thinking that is was the next AM for the time change! ! ! We wondered why room service hadn't brought our food . . . :confused: We were an hour ahead! :eek:

Edited by Tropicalgal2

And watch the Cruise Directors show on the TV as you are getting ready. There are usually announcements on the PA in the morning and the night before. I didn't comment on the guy who said the ship always follows the departure port as I haven't been on freedom in 6 years. That was true of every cruise I went on until I did my 2010 cruise and the Captain of the Jewel switched to local time.

The key, listen up the day you get there and maybe get back an hour early!

Just REMEMBER that the Cruise Compass is for the NEXT day. IF it says to trurn you clocks ahead or back . . . it is for the NEXT AM!!!!! :o

I turned ours ahead that night thinking that is was the next AM for the time change! ! ! We wondered why room service hadn't brought our food . . . :confused: We were an hour ahead! :eek:

Yeah, actually, that's important to remember, as you get your cruise compass for the next day in your stateroom when the attendant does turndown service.

This past week on FOTS we stayed on ship's time the entire week (EDT). We were 1 hour ahead of local in Jamaica and Grand Cayman and 2 hours ahead in Cozumel (they don't go to DST until yesterday I think.)

Time was the same in Labadee. Not sure if this was true of the whole island, it's possible they just keep to ship's time in the resort area.

I always just set my watch the first day and leave it alone. That way I always know ship's time.

We were on Navigator last week and we did three ports with Freedom (Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel). It got really confusing as everyone was talking about different times to be back on the ship. Navigator was on central US time the whole week and Freedom was on Eastern. We spoke to some people off the Freedom in Cozumel and they said they had to get back to the ship an hour earlier than us, but it ended up being the same time anyway. So if you ask someone in port what the ship's time is, make sure you check to see if they are on the same ship as you as well.

We were on Navigator last week and we did three ports with Freedom (Jamaica/Grand Cayman/Cozumel). It got really confusing as everyone was talking about different times to be back on the ship. Navigator was on central US time the whole week and Freedom was on Eastern. We spoke to some people off the Freedom in Cozumel and they said they had to get back to the ship an hour earlier than us, but it ended up being the same time anyway. So if you ask someone in port what the ship's time is, make sure you check to see if they are on the same ship as you as well.

Good point.

It was nice seeing the Navigator all week, kind of felt like having a wingman. Of course Navigator was the wingman being smaller and all ;)

Bottom line is set your watch when you first board and don't touch it. Or leave your phone in airplane mode. It seems common on RCCL to stay on ship's time throughout the week.

I did enjoy sleeping late in Cozumel, we booked a dolphin swim on our own for 11am which turned out to be 1pm ship's time. Nice.

Edited by DrD