Passport Renewals?

iflyrc5

We needed to renew our passports - sent in the old passports and paperwork on March 25 - got the new one's in the mail today - quick turnaround ---- however, they did not return our old ones :(. I was under the impression that we got the old one's back too. Has anyone else renewed theirs recently and not gotten the old one back?

We needed to renew our passports - sent in the old passports and paperwork on March 25 - got the new one's in the mail today - quick turnaround ---- however, they did not return our old ones :(. I was under the impression that we got the old one's back too. Has anyone else renewed theirs recently and not gotten the old one back?

No, they don't return them.

I renewed mine last august and got my old one back with a hole punched thru it and the new one now has a chip in it

Jamie

From the U.S. State Department website:

"Yes, we will return the old, cancelled passport to you. It may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship."

It is usually sent back separately and takes longer.

Edited by jaspersmycat

From the U.S. State Department website:

"Yes, we will return the old, cancelled passport to you. It may be sent separately from your new passport. It is a good idea to keep your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship."

In addition, many people have valid visas in old passports that can still be used even though the passport itself has expired.

Strange. We definitely did not get our old ones back.

I apologize if I gave someone wrong information, but when we renewed our passports, we got neither the old passport or the old passport card back. The odds of the government doing something different than it says on their website must be practically zero... ;)

Edited by POA1

Renewed ours late last year and got old ones, with a hole punched in it, back in a separate envelope a few days later. Seems to me that somewhere I read or got a notice that the new one would be mailed from one address and the old one came from a different location. From what I could tell we mailed our renewal to the National Passport Center in PA but the new ones were generated in a different state (MD?).

For those who got their new passports in different envelopes: were the two numbers in sequence? Ours have a gap of one number between them, and have wondered why ... and who got the number between us. :confused:

Our new passports were sent express mail; our old ones, with the hole punched in it, were sent regular first class mail.

But--I was amazed that the new ones arrived in less than 3 weeks and the old ones about a week later.

For those who got their new passports in different envelopes: were the two numbers in sequence? Ours have a gap of one number between them, and have wondered why ... and who got the number between us. :confused:

We got ours in separate envelopes with sequential numbers. Our previous passports were also sequentially numbered, but don't know if we got them in the same envelope or different.

My husband and I sent in our passports together in the same Express Mail envelope. We got them back separately and our numbers are not in sequence. There is not only a gap of several numbers between them but they also were not processed on the same day so have different expiration dates. .????

Edited by NMLady

We renewed in Feb. and got the new passports within 3 weeks, the old passports were received about 2 weeks after that. and no there wasn't a hole punched in the old ones. They are still good until October.

My husband and I sent in our passports together in the same Express Mail envelope. We got them back separately and our numbers are not in sequence. There is not only a gap of several numbers between them but they also were not processed on the same day so have different expiration dates. .????

Same here.

We just renewed our passports and had a quick 17 day turnaround. The old ones took another 2 weeks to come back to us. They do return them, but separately from the new ones.

You know? Sometimes you can help someone and never even know you did.

Because of your post I decided to pull out our passports to check the expiration dates. Discovered ours expired 9 days ago!

Thanks for starting this thread! My wife is a passport agent, so it's now on her "honey-do" list!

Same with DH and I. Two or three days apart. Ours expire in '15, but I do recall they mailed my previous one back to me with holes punched in it.