pike market original starbucks plus

luv2gamble

I was looking at a map of the market. wow, its huge. It said shops and crafts there are 425 and 80 restaurants and the original starbucks. Appears to be a lot of walking. I want to see it but not all, way too much walking involved and I have a foot problem. Does anyone know approx how long it would take to see the market? Of course not all, but was deciding if I should go and spend an hour before the cruise or wait until cruise is over and go when I have more time. Is one hour enough time? I must see the orig starbucks and does anyone know what else would be a must see at the market???

I would like to know how much time to alot too.

Before the cruise I would have about an hour. The ship returns 8 am and our flight is not until 9 pm. However, if 1 hours is enough I would do it before and schedule other things to do when I return. Looks like you can spend the day there LOL. Many people are saying you can hardly walk around after noon because its gets so crowded. Just wondering if 1 hours is enough or go there right after ship docks like 9-10 am or so? I really don't know what things to do there besides walk around and starbucks. I never been to Seattle

The Pike market is more a "district" than an enclosed market like, say, Reading Terminal in Philly. It's basically a series of buildings on either side of Pike Place, some with store frontages on side streets such as Pike or Pine Streets, and some facing First Avenue (parallel to Pike Place to the east) or Western Avenue (same, to the west.) From Pike Street (southern edge) the market extends around 3-4 blocks north, with the biggest concentrations of shops and stalls between Pike and Stewart Sts.

The "main market arcade" (where the fish flingers and "high stalls" are located) is on the west side of the street, and because Pike Place sits at the top of a steep bluff overlooking the waterfront, the buildings on the west side (like the main arcade) are multi-story, with levels below the Pike Place level (aka "down under.")

The east side of Pike Place has a couple of buildings with little merchant stalls (fish, produce, etc.) but also there are many simple storefronts - bakeries, specialty foods, etc. - including the original Starbucks.

Can you "see" the market in an hour? Sure, but you'll only see a small part of it. If you come after around 10:30 on a weekend morning, mostly you'll "see" humongous hoards of people - clogging the main arcade aisle and Pike Place itself (dodging the crawling cars), queuing outside the door and down the street at Starbucks, crowding around the salmon-throwers and buskers. It's fun, but packed.

As for "must see," gosh, what an impossible question. Beautiful produce, unbelievable flowers, best in August when every dahlia in the world is on display, great looking fish, Chinese pastries, artisan cheese and honey, views out over the harbor with ferries coming and going, custom roach clips, street musicians, Bolivian empanadas, craft beers, the bubble gum wall, the smell of the Market Spice shop, antique and second-hand clothes down under...

It's worth more than an hour, but if you only have an hour, use it wisely. Earlier in the day is always much better.

The Pike market is more a "district" than an enclosed market like, say, Reading Terminal in Philly. It's basically a series of buildings on either side of Pike Place, some with store frontages on side streets such as Pike or Pine Streets, and some facing First Avenue (parallel to Pike Place to the east) or Western Avenue (same, to the west.) From Pike Street (southern edge) the market extends around 3-4 blocks north, with the biggest concentrations of shops and stalls between Pike and Stewart Sts.

The "main market arcade" (where the fish flingers and "high stalls" are located) is on the west side of the street, and because Pike Place sits at the top of a steep bluff overlooking the waterfront, the buildings on the west side (like the main arcade) are multi-story, with levels below the Pike Place level (aka "down under.")

The east side of Pike Place has a couple of buildings with little merchant stalls (fish, produce, etc.) but also there are many simple storefronts - bakeries, specialty foods, etc. - including the original Starbucks.

Can you "see" the market in an hour? Sure, but you'll only see a small part of it. If you come after around 10:30 on a weekend morning, mostly you'll "see" humongous hoards of people - clogging the main arcade aisle and Pike Place itself (dodging the crawling cars), queuing outside the door and down the street at Starbucks, crowding around the salmon-throwers and buskers. It's fun, but packed.

As for "must see," gosh, what an impossible question. Beautiful produce, unbelievable flowers, best in August when every dahlia in the world is on display, great looking fish, Chinese pastries, artisan cheese and honey, views out over the harbor with ferries coming and going, custom roach clips, street musicians, Bolivian empanadas, craft beers, the bubble gum wall, the smell of the Market Spice shop, antique and second-hand clothes down under...

It's worth more than an hour, but if you only have an hour, use it wisely. Earlier in the day is always much better.

Wow, Thank you so much for all that great info. Sounds like I should go after the cruise like 9:30 am or so and spend a few hours there and leave before the crowds. Where is the best place to go to see the salmon? If you know. Thanks again. According to all your good info, I have to spend more than an hour. I will probably stay until noon or so. :D

Where is the best place to go to see the salmon? :D

If you mean the guys throwing the poor fish around, that's right at the corner of Pike Street and Pike Place. It's completely a tourist gimmick, you know - nobody would treat a fish they plan to eat in that manner, and I'm pretty sure they use the same fish again and again. You can't miss it - the crowd will be ten deep with umpteen phones being held in the air recording the "spectacle" :rolleyes:.

I recommend that if at all possible, get to the market as early as you can - 7:30 or 8 - and have breakfast at Lowell's or the Athenian, then watch the people in the stalls setting up for the day's trade. By 10:30 it will resemble a street fair more than a farmers market.

If you mean the guys throwing the poor fish around, that's right at the corner of Pike Street and Pike Place. It's completely a tourist gimmick, you know - nobody would treat a fish they plan to eat in that manner, and I'm pretty sure they use the same fish again and again. You can't miss it - the crowd will be ten deep with umpteen phones being held in the air recording the "spectacle" :rolleyes:.

I recommend that if at all possible, get to the market as early as you can - 7:30 or 8 - and have breakfast at Lowell's or the Athenian, then watch the people in the stalls setting up for the day's trade. By 10:30 it will resemble a street fair more than a farmers market.

Yes, I did mean throwing the fish. However, someone told me that it gets thrown, cleaned, and then cooked to order? Guess I was informed wrong. I can try to make it early as you said. Watching them set up? Is there a reason why I would watch them?

Yes, I did mean throwing the fish. However, someone told me that it gets thrown, cleaned, and then cooked to order? Guess I was informed wrong. I can try to make it early as you said. Watching them set up? Is there a reason why I would watch them?
It's a fish market, not a restaurant. No cooking. The throwing thing is all theater.

I like to watch them set up because it's more interesting (to me.) Farther down the main arcade from the fish throwers and high stalls there are still some actual farmers who sell their produce. The fish people buy their products from the same suppliers as most other markets in the area; the fish are likely from Alaska, depending on the month and species.

• 3 weeks later...

We are locals and went to the market last Sat from 11 to 1 PM which is pretty much the minimum even if you know where you are going and what you intend to buy/see. It was busy but not especially crowded by summer standards. Lovely day though - 60ish, sunny, windy.

We usually recommend that first time visitors come early and plan to stay several hours - there is lots to see. You have to explore side alleys and passageways to get the real experience. There is a lot of tourist stuff but a lot of locals shop there for fresh fruit, vegetables, flowers in season and, of course fish. The place where they toss the salmon is only one of maybe 6-8 fish markets. There are two wine shops and a brewery and all kinds of food. There are lots of small restaurants and bars where you can get a snack and/or a drink more or less on the sidewalk and watch the crowd which is part of the show. If you can get there for breakfast the Athenian is the "best" place - great views out over the bay and lots of local color.

Bigger and more varied than many European markets we have visited.

what I don't think it shows on any map , and I don't think anyone has mentioned, is that Seattle is rather hilly , especially if you are on a cruise from Pier 66,arrived in SEA last year and walked from the pier up to Pikes Market, about 200/300 yards right of the pier across the road is a lift which takes you part ways then a fairly steep incline upto the start of the market,as already stated it gets very busy inside as the aisle arnt all that wide.

We'll be in Seattle on May 18th, arriving via ship at Pier 91. We'd like to hop in a cab and go to PPM and spend our time in Seattle there. We have to be back to the ship probably around 2:30, in time for muster drill and sailaway at 4:00.

I understand that some parts of the market are open early but the general hours start at 10 am. Given that it is early in the season (is that correct?), what time do you recommend we get there? We are interested in getting flowers for our cabin and poking about the shops. We're on a cruise so don't need to get any produce or fish. We would like to look at specialty food shops but won't purchase anything that requires refrigeration as we won't have a cooler on the ship.

Any recommended restaurants for lunch?

Also, what time should we start to head back to Pier 91, and where would we, easily, get a taxi?

Is there anything else we should consider or need to know?

Thanks for your help!

We'll be in Seattle on May 18th, arriving via ship at Pier 91. We'd like to hop in a cab and go to PPM and spend our time in Seattle there. We have to be back to the ship probably around 2:30, in time for muster drill and sailaway at 4:00.

I understand that some parts of the market are open early but the general hours start at 10 am. Given that it is early in the season (is that correct?), what time do you recommend we get there? We are interested in getting flowers for our cabin and poking about the shops. We're on a cruise so don't need to get any produce or fish. We would like to look at specialty food shops but won't purchase anything that requires refrigeration as we won't have a cooler on the ship.

Also, what time should we start to head back to Pier 91, and where would we, easily, get a taxi?

Thanks for your help!

Don't know your itinerary. But, please know that it is illegal to transport uninspected flora into the State of California. Don't know how your cruise line will address your bringing the flowers on board if California (or Hawaii) are future stops.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don't know your itinerary. But, please know that it is illegal to transport uninspected flora into the State of California. Don't know how your cruise line will address your bringing the flowers on board if California (or Hawaii) are future stops.

Cruises this time of the year from Seattle are going to Alaska. It is quite common for visitors to buy flowers at Pike Place Market for their cruises.

I think most passengers probably toss their flowers before disembarking.

Not to worry, we are cruising from Vancouver to Seattle and then north to Alaska, just as crzndeb thought.

Not to worry, we are cruising from Vancouver to Seattle and then north to Alaska, just as crzndeb thought.

No problem. It's just that I've always been super sensitive to that requirement since I first moved to NorCal in the early 70's and had all the house plants in my u-haul confiscated at the ag inspection station in Truckee.

Actually the market starts moving around 6 AM with many of the stands open by 9 AM. The 18th is a Sunday so by 11 or so it will be crowded unless the weather is really awful :eek:. Many like to come for breakfast or get a coffee and watch them set up the flowers and all.

Any recommended restaurants for lunch?As always, it depends on what you like. Café Campagna is very French :cool: and very good, too. Athenian is local color with great views of the bay(a "Sleepless in Seattle" scene was filmed there). Really has good fish but its not a fancy place. Take a look at yelp dot com for other options.

Also, what time should we start to head back to Pier 91, and where would we, easily, get a taxi? it is not far so in the cab by 2 or 2:15 would be fine. You do have to get out of the market and onto 1st Ave or Western to find a cab. Good luck.

Thanks for your help!

See all the comments in color above.

I understand that some parts of the market are open early but the general hours start at 10 am. Given that it is early in the season (is that correct?), what time do you recommend we get there?

Since it's a Sunday, some things may open a little later, but quite a few stalls and vendors will be open by 9 am. You can get a good breakfast with a view at Lowell's from 7 am. So whenever you get in, come on over!

We are interested in getting flowers for our cabin and poking about the shops. We're on a cruise so don't need to get any produce or fish. We would like to look at specialty food shops but won't purchase anything that requires refrigeration as we won't have a cooler on the ship.

There are always a cluster of flower vendors at the south end of the Main Arcade, near the fish-throwing guys at Pike Place Fish, and another along the North Arcade. You can't miss them--the colors are glorious!

Some of my favorites for fun and interesting foods are DeLaurenti's (fancy Italian and other imported goodies, at the south end of the Main Arcade), Chukar Cherries (Washington cherries, nuts, etc., in the middle of the Main Arcade), Simply the Best (really good dried organic fruits and veggies, across from the fish-throwing guys in the Main Arcade), Holmquist Hazelnut Farms (great local hazelnuts, usually at a day stall at the in the middle of the North Arcade), and World Spice (amazing selection, fresh and top-quality--on Western Avenue, behind and beneath the Market, accessible by elevator)

If you want to go cheap, I'd recommend either the Market Grill (middle of the Main Arcade--try the grilled blackened halibut sandwich with house-made rosemary mayo) or Uli's Famous Sausage (right across from Market Grill, on the Main Arcade). For something a little more upscale, try Etta's (great seafood from local celebrity chef Tom Douglas, just north of the Market on Western Avenue). Unfortunately, two other really good places--the Pink Door and Matt's in the Market--are closed for Sunday lunch, but keep them in mind for another visit!

I like to pad my schedule, just because, so I would start heading back around 1:45 to arrive by 2:30 pm. As for where to get a cab...I live here, so I never take them, so I'm stumped there. Technically, cabs in Seattle aren't supposed to pull over when people flag them down on the street (although I see them doing it). You might be able to grab one that's dropping someone off, up on First Avenue near Pike Street. I don't know if there's a taxi stand in front of the Inn at the Market on Pine Street just up from Pike Place, but it might be worth a look. You could also call a cab when you need it, or pre-order one to meet you at a certain place and time.

Thanks for your help!

You're welcome. Enjoy!

I must see the orig starbucks and does anyone know what else would be a must see at the market???

The original Starbucks is across the street from the Public Market on Pike Place - keep a sharp eye out for it, because except for the throngs of people crowding the place, it can be easy to miss. Aside from a couple of souvenir items that are available only at that store (I brought home some Starbucks gift cards with the original 1971 logo), it's not all that different from your Starbucks back home (or anywhere else in Seattle, for that matter).

Would this be doable the morning of the cruise?

Also, will it be that crowded on a Tuesday morning?

Edited by Kittybork

Would this be doable the morning of the cruise?

Definitely do-able the morning of the cruise. Why be in a rush to board the ship? Many people check their luggage onboard then visit the Market and bring back a fresh bouquet of flowers for their room. If you're at pier 66, the Market is above the waterfront on a bluff. You can walk it or take the elevator next to the Marriott across the street. (directions in the attached link). If you're at 91 it's not as easy since you're 5-6 miles away, and a $15-$20 cab ride each way.

It won't be AS busy on a Tues as on weekends, but still a lot of people esp after noon.

From the MArket, walk 2 blocks to Westlake Center and catch the monorail to the Space Needle/Seattle Center. It's only a 5 minute ride, maybe $3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549955

Definitely do-able the morning of the cruise. Why be in a rush to board the ship? Many people check their luggage onboard then visit the Market and bring back a fresh bouquet of flowers for their room. If you're at pier 66, the Market is above the waterfront on a bluff. You can walk it or take the elevator next to the Marriott across the street. (directions in the attached link). If you're at 91 it's not as easy since you're 5-6 miles away, and a $15-$20 cab ride each way.

It won't be AS busy on a Tues as on weekends, but still a lot of people esp after noon.

From the MArket, walk 2 blocks to Westlake Center and catch the monorail to the Space Needle/Seattle Center. It's only a 5 minute ride, maybe $3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=549955

Thanks so much for the reply, Mapleleaves. I wish I knew the answer to why I like to be on the ship so early, but I do. If everything works out with our flight the day before, we may go to the market and the space needle on Monday afternoon. We're at pier 91, so, either way, we'll have a bit of a drive.

Thanks for your help.

During cruise season, Pike Place Market is madly crowded EVERY day. Weekdays and early mornings are a little better, but that's only relative to the insanity of a Saturday afternoon there! I love the place, but my visit today might be my last until September.

Edited by Casagordita