What does the MSC Club 'Gold broach' look like?

Skipper Tim

Afraid unable to post a pic of mine. Suggest you ask my cabin steward from the Fantasia as it went missing from my tuxedo lapel while it was hanging in the wardrobe and he was the only other person who had access to the cabin as far as I am aware. (Just another reason I've not been back with them.)

When I received mine Lee who used to run MSC Club UK warned me they were "rare as gold dust" and I was lucky to receive one!

It's a small lapel pin in the shape of MSC logo (sun? compass points?) with the letters MSC.

I was somewhat deflated when, on the very first wearing (a formal night), I was standing at entrance to MDR waiting to be seated and a couple came in and asked me to show them to their table!

Edited by canny_cruiser

Afraid unable to post a pic of mine. Suggest you ask my cabin steward from the Fantasia as it went missing from my tuxedo lapel while it was hanging in the wardrobe and he was the only other person who had access to the cabin as far as I am aware. (Just another reason I've not been back with them.)

When I received mine Lee who used to run MSC Club UK warned me they were "rare as gold dust" and I was lucky to receive one!

It's a small lapel pin in the shape of MSC logo (sun? compass points?) with the letters MSC.

I was somewhat deflated when, on the very first wearing (a formal night), I was standing at entrance to MDR waiting to be seated and a couple came in and asked me to show them to their table!

Thank you for the reply and I am so sorry to hear of your bereavement.

I have emailed Lee to increase my chances of receiving a broach. I will remember to obtain a copy of the table map before wearing it.

Actually they must be like gold dust as they are not even for sale on eBay. Now, that is saying something.

Tim.

A picture would say a thousand words....

Tim.

Here you go Tim

A picture for you.

The Gold pin is the right hand pin of the 2 on the dark blue pouch..the other pin is what the gold pin used to look like., ie just the letters MSC.

The pin on the lefthand white pouch is in fact an MSC silver pin, not much difference from the Gold except the colour which is hard to make out in the image as it is reflecting the colour of the table it is on, but if you look carefully at it you can see it is silver by looking hard at the S to W pointers on the compass

P1030625.jpg

Pete

PS

Actually they must be like gold dust as they are not even for sale on eBay. Now, that is saying something.

I must be very rich as I have 2 of the compass Gold pins, 2 of the silver pins as well as 1 of the old style

Edited by Skier52

Here you go Tim

A picture for you.

The Gold pin is the right hand pin of the 2 on the dark blue pouch..the other pin is what the gold pin used to look like., ie just the letters MSC.

The pin on the lefthand white pouch is in fact an MSC silver pin, not much difference from the Gold except the colour which is hard to make out in the image as it is reflecting the colour of the table it is on, but if you look carefully at it you can see it is silver by looking hard at the S to W pointers on the compass

P1030625.jpg

Pete

Many thanks Pete. i will expect very little then, if it arrives.

You do not refer to the much larger badge to the South in your photo. What is that?

Tim.

Many thanks Pete. i will expect very little then, if it arrives.

You do not refer to the much larger badge to the South in your photo. What is that?

Tim.

It's a lock for small items of baggage. it works by unscrewing the metal ball at the bottom , then pulling out the wire , passing it through the relevent holes on a zip, for instance, and then reassembling the lock and screwing the ball back on again.

Pete

It's a lock for small items of baggage. it works by unscrewing the metal ball at the bottom , then pulling out the wire , passing it through the relevent holes on a zip, for instance, and then reassembling the lock and screwing the ball back on again.

Pete

Wow! And how does obtain one of those? I am not sure I needed one before, but if other people have them .....

Tim.

Wow! And how does obtain one of those? I am not sure I needed one before, but if other people have them .....

Tim.

It came as a gift a long long time ago when the MSC club first started up, i'm not sure if you got for joining or if it came with the silver card and brooch, That was in about 2007. The club didn't exist when i went on my first cruise wth them in 2005, but they included that cruise when I applied, so two seven night cruises plus 7 bonus points for joining on-line and hey presto Silver card. I did have a Classic card in 2006 for a short while

Edited by Skier52

I know we are not supposed to correct spelling on here but is in not spelled brooch?

Broach def. to turn to windward; would almost be acceptable on a forum relating to subject matter concerning the sea.

An alternative def. to break open or puncture a cask; seems fitting as well

Edited by Skier52

Fascinating. I have never come across the word "brooch" before. "Broach" I have always associated with women's jewelry. Hence the question.

Was I supposed to receive one after becoming silver member? I have only got a silver membership card. In any case after my next cruise I will be gold member, so looking forward to the gold one.

Me too Travelberlin - I never received one at Silver and I am gold next cruise on the first night. I shall expect one in the post on my arrival home :)

:D

I know we are not supposed to correct spelling on here but is in not spelled brooch?

"Brooch, also spelled "broach", a decorative item designed to be attached to garments" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broach]

Why would anyone spell "broach" "brooch" if it is pronounced "broach"?

I am now trying to think of something that could mean "brooch" pronounced "brooch". Perhaps an embarrassing but necessary kiss? I am also a little worried about the email I sent to Lee at MSC UK and what may or may not happen as a result.

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I have emailed Lee to increase my chances of receiving a broach.

Pretty sure I got an e-mail a while back saying she had left so if you sent to her named e-mail address maybe an idea to re-send to a generic one.

Edited by canny_cruiser

Pretty sure I got an e-mail a while back saying she had left so if you sent to her named e-mail address maybe an idea to re-send to a generic one.

She? I assumed he was a he. The last email I had from Lee was September 2013. How does one receive emails from MSC with such pertinent information?

Thanks for the advice. I have resent my mail to the generic MSC Club address (mscclubuk@msccruises.co.uk).

Tim.

Not seen any of the lapel pins apart from the pictures posted by Pete, though i do have the Classic, Silver and Gold club member cards.

I guess the pins are somewhat like MSC brochures .... :D though i have a copy of the current 2014 brochure.

"Brooch, also spelled "broach", a decorative item designed to be attached to garments" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broach]

Why would anyone spell "broach" "brooch" if it is pronounced "broach"?

I am now trying to think of something that could mean "brooch" pronounced "brooch". Perhaps an embarrassing but necessary kiss? I am also a little worried about the email I sent to Lee at MSC UK and what may or may not happen as a result.

Tim.

I've always spelled it brooch too and they do in most jewellrey stores. I do pronounce it as broach though.

Either way, I think anyone expecting MDC brooches or pins on reaching certain club statuses may well be disappointed. Many of the things they used to do when the club was new and membership http://www.whatsinport.com/Ancona.htm no longer happen now. Like Pete I've fot a fair collection of gifts I received onboard at the end of evry cruise but haven't had anything in ages.

I would call them "pins" and to be honest I didn't have the foggiest idea of what you meant by broach with your first post.

I have both my silver and gold pins but when I became Black all I received was the card. I guess they feel the Black members get sufficient perks. Wish MSC gave the ship models like Costa does.

I would call them "pins" and to be honest I didn't have the foggiest idea of what you meant by broach with your first post.

I have both my silver and gold pins but when I became Black all I received was the card. I guess they feel the Black members get sufficient perks. Wish MSC gave the ship models like Costa does.

They certainly used to.

I got the very nice metal model of Orchestra placed on my pillow on the last night of a caribbean cruise on her in 2009.

The only pins now given out are the GOLD ones when you attain that level; they only ever had SILVER and GOLD and never had pins for CLASSIC or BLACK

orchestramodel.jpg

Pete

Edited by Skier52

They certainly used to.

I got the very nice metal model of Orchestra placed on my pillow on the last night of a caribbean cruise on her in 2009.

The only pins now given out are the GOLD ones when you attain that level; they only ever had SILVER and GOLD and never had pins for CLASSIC or BLACK

orchestramodel.jpg

Pete

Yes they definitely used to. I have one of the Musica. I did get a pin when I became black, it was in the black box with my card. Too many members mean dilution of gifts and perks though.

Not complaining though, my best perk remains unchanged - my 20% discount!