Early Tendering for Private Tours, just back

canuck.qc

We just got back from FPolynesia & I have posted a trip review for those contemplating this itinerary.. Early tendering was a BIG concern of mine prior to this particular trip so I will explain what we did. It went very smoothly and was a similar process to our previous O cruises. (after reading some posts of the FP itineraries, I was expecting a few glitches)

*Weather & seas can be a factor causing delays etc..

*The anchor time will be written in the Currents the nite before so you will have a general idea of when the tendering will begin.

*Arrive at the Marina Lounge as soon as the doors open... there will be an PA announcement that 'the tender process is beginning'...try to get there ASAP.

*a person will greet as you walk in the Lounge, identify yourself as an 'independent' traveler

*they will have you sit in the FRONT row of the MIDDLE section, they will then fill the seats and rows progressively.

*they will call your rows to receive tickets before making your way onto the tender platform.

*Bottled water & beach towels were available before getting on the tenders (you can also ask your room att. for beach towels the nite before)

*I found that the O excursions got off after a first few tenders had left. The O tours gathered in the Lounge and waited in large groups.

*It is much easier to get yourselves to the Marina lounge 'individually' rather than in large groups, get ashore, then sort yourselves out there.

*unless you are super organized you will all eventually find each other either in the Lounge or ashore, not worth the hassle of arranging to meet....each person responsible for getting themselves ashore...there are always the ones who are late or just don't show up...like herding cats!!!

*once you are in the lounge you are told you cannot leave, you cannot save seats for members of your groups...

*there were a few tenders operating so the wait time was not too long

*once on shore you can find your group. Tours hold up signs identifying themselves.

*you can get an early breakfast at the MDR, Terrace or opt for room service.

The tendering process in FP was much better than I expected and the tour operators were very nice. We did not encounter any problems at any port except at 1 port we had choppy seas. This made it slightly difficult to get off and on tenders (extra caution for persons with physical challenges). Because there is generally no deposits on excursions in FP there were occasionally no shows & cancellations but no problem filling spots. Far more easy going than any of our Med & European cruises.

CLICK HERE TO GET MORE INFO

• 2 months later...

Your Welcome.

I read posts about waiting to get off the ship taking hours:eek:

I posted this to help, especially the new O cruisers, and for those ports that have specific challenges.. such as in FP.

Bon Voyage

Thanks for the great advice. I have never found tendering as an independent to be anything but really easy and fast, using the process you so beautifully outlined. However, I've never been to the FP, so I'll have to keep that in mind if and when we make it there.

The takeaway here seems to be that despite all the hubub predicting that there might be issues when trying to get off the ship early as an independent traveler; for the two concerned people who Posted here the entire thing was a non issue.

Still, I applaud all of the work that Canuck.qc put into deciphering the Tendering Process, because first of all knowledge is power, and secondly a host of frustrations will be avoided because the nuts and bolts of the process are now transparent.

Just off the Marina last week. My experience was similar to canuck's EXCEPT there wasn't a soul to greet us upon entry to the lounge. Marina staff were busy down front and I had to snag someone's attention to find out where to sit for independent tours. No biggie, but it could have been a bit better organized. We were on the first tender, so no harm, no foul.

Just off the Marina last week. My experience was similar to canuck's EXCEPT there wasn't a soul to greet us upon entry to the lounge. Marina staff were busy down front and I had to snag someone's attention to find out where to sit for independent tours. No biggie, but it could have been a bit better organized. We were on the first tender, so no harm, no foul.

I am not sure I understand what you mean :confused:

We usually go to the table at the front of the lounge get your ticket for independents then sit down & wait for your ticket number/colour to be called

I do not recall being segregated from others

Are you saying no one was at the table in the lounge when you arrived??

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

I am not sure I understand what you mean :confused:

We usually go to the table at the front of the lounge get your ticket for independents then sit down & wait for your ticket number/colour to be called

I do not recall being segregated from others

Are you saying no one was at the table in the lounge when you arrived??

Lyn

Well, there was staff near the table & sort of moving around all over the place. It was one of these folks who I eventually talked to. It was difficult to get anyone's attention. I was under the impression from what I was told by someone at the reception desk that there was a dedicated "greeter" at the door of the lounge who would help those with independent tours. Also, Canuck states that someone will "greet you at the door of the lounge." That was not our experience. Pretty much had to tackle someone to find out where to sit. Once we were seated, someone came by and gave us tickets. And the independent travelers did sit in a separate spot. I suspect we may have gotten there a little bit before they had their act together that particular morning.

Well, there was staff near the table & sort of moving around all over the place. It was one of these folks who I eventually talked to. It was difficult to get anyone's attention. I was under the impression from what I was told by someone at the reception desk that there was a dedicated "greeter" at the door of the lounge who would help those with independent tours. Also, Canuck states that someone will "greet you at the door of the lounge." That was not our experience. Pretty much had to tackle someone to find out where to sit. Once we were seated, someone came by and gave us tickets. And the independent travelers did sit in a separate spot. I suspect we may have gotten there a little bit before they had their act together that particular morning.

Thanks for the explanation

Guess I have never been 1st in line so never had any issues :D

Hmmm ... I don't remember ever being greeted at the door. That COULD be a nice touch, but I never found it necessary. We just walked down to the table that has been mentioned.

Maybe I walked right by the official greeter! That has happened before ...

Mura

Hmmm ... I don't remember ever being greeted at the door. That COULD be a nice touch, but I never found it necessary. We just walked down to the table that has been mentioned.

Maybe I walked right by the official greeter! That has happened before ...

Mura

Yes, they are always there, unless you arrive VERY early before they are set up.

They are not as much greeters as they are facilitators that direct you where to sit depending on what tour you are taking. They are always on the starboard side of the lounge entrance.

When entering the lounge we encountered a person/greeter as you enter, at the tables in front of seating and one who hands you your tender tickets on the way out. There are several others assisting all the way to the tenders and most days the cruise director was there. We are always on the first or second tender.

Your Welcome.

I read posts about waiting to get off the ship taking hours:eek:

I posted this to help, especially the new O cruisers, and for those ports that have specific challenges.. such as in FP.

Bon Voyage

In all the years that we have cruised on Oceania (from the second year on) we never had a problem getting off the ship for a private tour. :)