April 6th Silhouette Review- Horrible Start - Would It Improve ??

Colorado Buffalo

Absolutely living your review!!! We are booked on an August Bermuda sailing and I am concerned about bringing our well-behaved 6 year-old since it seems there are so many Celebrity cruisers that do not like kids on cruises. Glad to hear about the kids program. Sounds like Celebrity DOES enjoy kids sailing and maybe all the negative people cluster on CC.

Seems like there are a few who enjoy being negative and putting others down, whether for having kids or for standing up for the right to have what they paid for or perks they received for booking! Good for you for pushing for answers. Looking forward to the rest of your review!!! :)

PS. Was your child allowed in the pools? I've read that on some Celebrity ships there are signs saying no children in pools??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

No they told him the corporate office wasn't open because it was Sunday. It escalated when that wasn't good enough. It should have been resolved before they boarded but it obviously wasn't. All I'm saying is give them a day to resolve it. They weren't going to be charged for anything until the end of the cruise and there was plenty of time to resolve the problem without going off the deep end. Sorry, I've seen how people act when they don't get immediate gratification and I doubt the Guest Relations person was purposely rude. They may have actually thought that they gave him a reasonable answer and expected they would be able to rectify the problem when the office was open. When they insisted it be taken care of right away, the only option was for the passenger to make the call to the call center or his TA.

I don't see anywhere in any of the OP's posts that he was told, "Don't worry about it! It'll all be sorted out and we'll let you know when it is!". If he left it for the CS rep to work it out the next conversation might have been, "So sorry, you didn't bring that to our attention to the point of resolution, so you're responsible for those charges." I, too, would have waited in line until the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

Edited by We're The Groupnors

Absolutely living your review!!! We are booked on an August Bermuda sailing and I am concerned about bringing our well-behaved 6 year-old since it seems there are so many Celebrity cruisers that do not like kids on cruises. Glad to hear about the kids program. Sounds like Celebrity DOES enjoy kids sailing and maybe all the negative people cluster on CC.

Seems like there are a few who enjoy being negative and putting others down, whether for having kids or for standing up for the right to have what they paid for or perks they received for booking! Good for you for pushing for answers. Looking forward to the rest of your review!!! :)

PS. Was your child allowed in the pools? I've read that on some Celebrity ships there are signs saying no children in pools??

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

those under 16 are not allowed in the Solarium and it's pool/hot tub

while I noticed children were in both outdoor pools (one that was just over 3 feet deep and the other almost 6 feet deep)

I think since Celebrity doesn't attract as many children as Disney or Carnival there's more interaction between staff and children so in turn children really like Celebrity's 'Fun factory.'

I don't see anywhere in any of the OP's posts that he was told' date=' "Don't worry about it! It'll all be sorted out and we'll let you know when it is!". If he left it for the CS rep to work it out the next conversation might have been, "So sorry, you didn't bring that to our attention to the point of resolution, so you're responsible for those charges." I, too, would have waited in line until the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.[/quote']

It's very simple..if it wasn't taken care of, that's the time to complain. You imagine all kinds of things that may or may not have been said but it's hard to say what would have happened since they weren't given a chance to take care of it the next day.

Thanks for writing this review. My husband does the same thing when customer service people refuse to be helpful. Not yelling per se, but refusing to move until the situation is resolved. It is a very effective tactic. Am sorry you were so upset, though. Hopefully it did not ruin your trip.

We were on the Constellation last month and our 2 boys loved the fun factory too. Celebrity's is the only cruise line kids program they have ever agreed to go back to more than once (they wanted to visit the fun factory every day).

I am also very sorry the gal at Guest Relations was so rude to you and

that your wife ended up crying:(.

Lois, I'm surprised. Have you ever met an employee who was so rude they made someone cry? In all my years and cruises I've never seen that. If that was the case I would think they would be reported by one of the others at the guest relations desk.

I am also very sorry the gal at Guest Relations was so rude to you and

that your wife ended up crying:(.

Lois, I'm surprised. Have you ever met an employee who was so rude they made someone cry? In all my years and cruises I've never seen that. If that was the case I would think they would be reported by one of the others at the Guest Relations desk.

Wow! I am surprised by the way your issue was handled. I've only had one problem that required Guest Relations to intervene, and that was handled on the sport by a phone call to my TA. When our OBC wasn't showing on our statement after the first day or two of the cruise, the rep picked up the phone, and it was taken care of.

Betsy

Raising your voice and as you put it wanting to "take my hands and place them on Miss Guest Relation's throat" seems a considerable overreaction to your problem. Why would you expect this young lady to be helpful when you have intimidated her with your behavior. I'm surprised you did not demand to speak to someone else so you could try to persuade them to resolve the problem immediately.

Dealing with the public in my work, I know that it is only human nature not to want to help,someone if they are nasty to you.

Sounds like your cruise improved after that...sure hope no one else was not immediately able to resolve your problems

yes ...I raised my voice but by all means I never yelled at her-

my hand on throat comment was probably harsh but I'll be honest that at that time I felt helpless as I had done all I could and it was obvious she was going to be of no help... I still can't believe I had to call Celebrity's toll free number and wait almost a half hour because the 'Guest Relations' rep in front of me could be of no help...just made no sense at all...

I will admit now if not already known that our trip got much better with just a small hiccup or two ..

Edited by Colorado Buffalo

Hi Claude, so maybe I should not answer?:confused:.....

Joanie, I have seen some exchanges over the years (not often)

but I have.......and I am surprised Guest Relations had him

make the call.

I am still sad the OP's wife was so upset that she started to cry:(

To the Original Poster, I really hope the cruise got better for you

and your family:)

Edited by Lois R

NOTICE: to all of you who are criticizing the posters style....I suggest you read the guidelines for posts to cruise critic. You are far from within the guidelines.....especially those who are suggesting that the OP is a drama queen.....(hughdm and airbalancer). I think you owe the OP an apology...and hopefully in the future you will participate on CC following the guidelines.

Thank you! So many rude people on this thread.

OP, you had every right to be upset...I would have been, too. Glad they got it resolved and hope the rest of your trip is awesome!

The reviews and photo reviews we ALL enjoy take a lot of time and effort to complete, and no one is obligated to write them on any timeline other than their own.

Let's all follow the golden rule, people! OP, looking forward to the rest of your review.

yes ...I raised my voice but by all means I never yelled at her-

my hand on throat comment was probably harsh but I'll be honest that at that time I felt helpless as I had done all I could and it was obvious she was going to be of no help... I still can't believe I had to call Celebrity's toll free number and wait almost a half hour because the 'Guest Relations' rep in front of me could be of no help...just made no sense at all...

I will admit now if not already known that our trip got much better with just a small hiccup or two ..

Absolutely unbelievable that YOU had to call Celebrity on YOUR vacation to take care of THEIR mistake. I would have been very, very annoyed and also would not have left the desk without the issue being resolved. Once you walk away from the desk you are forgotten and you would have been charged for your drinks.

When we boarded Equinox last April and were allowed access to our cabin at 1:30pm, we discovered a cabin full of empty beer bottles, dirty pool and bath towels on the floor and balcony and a cabin that hadn't been cleaned. It took two phone calls and a trip to the customer service desk to get it resolved. We couldn't even use our cabin before Muster. It's easy for people to judge your reaction when they haven't been in your position.

Glad to hear the trip got better. Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. Wanda

I have to say I feel for the OP. Celebrity is making a big deal about the "free" beverage package. Their phone service is so slow, most people resort to a TA. And then to find out they weren't going to get the beverage package because of a screw up at a "closed on Sunday" major customer service corporation is unacceptable.

My first post on CC inquiring which Celebrity cabin was most like a Princess mini-suite was also met by snotty posters. I almost gave up on booking Celebrity because I thought the passengers were rude. I tried again in a few months and we are booked on our 3rd Celebrity cruise.

Absolutely unbelievable that YOU had to call Celebrity on YOUR vacation to take care of THEIR mistake. I would have been very, very annoyed and also would not have left the desk without the issue being resolved. Once you walk away from the desk you are forgotten and you would have been charged for your drinks.

EXACTLY! Not to mention that he tried to reconcile this BEFORE he even got on the ship, and had proof with him!

I would have been totally aggravated too...where's the customer service, Celebrity?

Unbelievable how people treat each other, and the mob mentality that can occur when people hide behind a computer keyboard! I don't often see this on the Celebrity boards, but it makes me sad every time. Sigh...

Completely agree - there is unfortunately so much judgement and criticism going on. Very easy and cowardly since everyone is basically anonymous.

Edited by Michidoeme

I don't see anywhere in any of the OP's posts that he was told' date=' "Don't worry about it! It'll all be sorted out and we'll let you know when it is!". If he left it for the CS rep to work it out the next conversation might have been, "So sorry, you didn't bring that to our attention to the point of resolution, so you're responsible for those charges." I, too, would have waited in line until the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.[/quote']

Oh, this is what I thought, too!! The issue doesn't get resolved, he charges drinks thinking it will be, and then gets hit with a huge bill.

There are so many things JUST PLAIN WRONG with this whole transaction:

It wasn't completely resolved before the cruise (and he was told it was dealt with).

The Customer Service rep at the counter was inept at helping. All she had to do was look at the booking confirmation printouts he had to see when he booked to see if the 1-2-3 deal was offered. At the very least she could have asked for help from her supervisor. She is clearly NOT in the right job.

And she made the customer call Celebrity- that should have been HER job. He used HER phone to make a call SHE should have made.

This whole nightmare could have been avoided on so many levels and it could have been so easy....

Oh, this is what I thought, too!! The issue doesn't get resolved, he charges drinks thinking it will be, and then gets hit with a huge bill.

There are so many things JUST PLAIN WRONG with this whole transaction:

It wasn't completely resolved before the cruise (and he was told it was dealt with).

The Customer Service rep at the counter was inept at helping. All she had to do was look at the booking confirmation printouts he had to see when he booked to see if the 1-2-3 deal was offered. At the very least she could have asked for help from her supervisor. She is clearly NOT in the right job.

And she made the customer call Celebrity- that should have been HER job. He used HER phone to make a call SHE should have made.

This whole nightmare could have been avoided on so many levels and it could have been so easy....

I agree 100%. And yet some here think the OP handled the situation incorrectly. It's Celebrity that didn't handle this correctly. From start to finish. And I wouldn't have taken not another precious moment of vacation time to get it resolved. He did exactly what he should have done!

I take no issue with the poster's approach. I think some people who go on multiple cruises a year forget how special this vacation is to people who are not afforded the opportunity to cruise on a frequent basis. It makes sense to resolve a problem at the outset so it does not linger throughout the cruise. Sometime persistence is the only way to address the situation-- especially when you have a representative who seems not to care. What makes one think this would be resolved the next day?

As for the crying, these things happen especially when you have such high expectations for a cruise and then you are thrown a curveball that could put a damper on one's experience. It is stress that one does not want. A few years back, my wife and I, for our 10th anniversary, were going on an Oceania Cruise that was leaving out of Istanbul. At that time, I was flying almost exclusively on United and was averaging a 100k a year. We get to the airport and check in the Premier line and I have been informed that we I had been moved from Economy Plus to the back of the plane and my wife had no seat and was now wait listed. The agent could have cared less and gave no rationale other than the plane was overbooked. My wife started to cry as the implications meant this vacation could become a nightmare. I talked to her supervisor and he could have cared less. We headed to the gate to see if we could remedy the situation. In the meantime, I called Mileage Plus to inform them of this situation. It was safe to say that they were shocked how we had been treated. By the time we got to the gate, they were speaking to the gate agent. The situation was somewhat rectified. We both got on the plane but sat apart from each other.

And leaving the desk in tears, over a drink package.....?

I admit the agent was a dumb ass, and should have immediately found her supervisor or someone to take over, but crying over a beverage package?

And OP I hope at some point finds the Hotel Director to let them know what transpired as well.

I have pulled the old "I'm not leaving this counter until I'm satisfied" move myself, i have to admit. Usually that promote a supervisor to come.

I highly doubt the tears were over the actual drink package. More likely they were the result of rude and unacceptable treatment from guest relations, and a very disappointing and upsetting start to a much anticipated vacation.

Here we go again....why are some of you even discussing why his wife may have cried or whether it was right or wrong, etc. Deal with the issue....Personally, I think Celebrity blew it big time, but I chalk it up to one employee who understood the mechanics of her job, but didn't really understand her real job which is customer satisfaction. Others may differ...but let's not try to analyze the OP's wife's reactions....she was obviously upset and folks demonstrate being upset in different ways...she chose (subconsciously) to cry.

I suggest that everyone go back and review the guidelines for posts on cc....even if you think you know them, it's a good refresher.

Edited by ghstudio

As I'm close to date we leave on this ship I'm anxious to hear the outcome. Things don't always go wrong but since this will be our first on Celebrity (diamond + on RCCL ) it gives me concern.

Irrespective of how this turned out (and it apparently turned out fine), these types of situations happen and they are almost always one off situations. Generally, I think most would agree that the Celebrity folks on board go out of their way to make things right and to resolve problems in a helpful way....be it guest services, hotel services, wait staff, bartenders, etc.

Yes, occasionally they mess up....on any ship, on any cruise line. I would think that if this thread reached the desk of the manager of guest services on that ship, they would be mortified....and perhaps it will since Celebrity monitors this forum.

But no reason to be anxious...this was a bad one off...you will have a wonderful cruise on Celebrity.

OK - based upon what the OP has told us, Celebrity messed up by "dropping" the benefit off of the reservation.

Might the OP had over reacted? I have been known to lose my cool on occassion but have found that when I am persistent but pleasant, I can be just as effective as when I get all blustery; and bonus -- I don't get all upset and my husband doesn't cry (not that he ever really does, I was just trying to draw a parallel the the OP's story :D.

Had the OP told his story and when he did not get satisfaction, requested to speak to the GR rep's supervisor, and calmly reiterated his story to the supervisor, he probably would have gotten what was on his original reservation. If not he could have calmly escalted it further. No need for him to have ruined a large portion of his day recuperating from an unpleasant encounter.

Edited by Onessa