How Late is Too Late to Arrive for Dinner in the MDR?

Interesting. On the Legend we noticed our early seating was changed from 6:00 to 5:30 when we got our Sea Passes. We immediately went to the MDR and requested late seating or MTD for our table of 4 as this was just too early. They couldn't accomodated us given the scarcity of 4 tops - so they said. The Compass said early seating was 5:30 to 6:15 so we went to dinner at 6:00 each night and had no problems with the wait staff. Everything was set up on our table each night and they were quite accomodating to us and it didn't appear to interfere with the other tables in the section. Would I normally do this? No, but 5:30 is too early for us and there was nothing we could do. We did eat in the WJ on several nights which apprently upset our waitstaff much more than us being late, or so they said.

Same thing happened the last time i was on Freedom. I totally agree that 5:30 is too early. I went to the MDR immediately after boarding the ship and signed up for MTD without any trouble at all. I will never do traditional seating again!

Like I said, we did try to change our dining time. Realize we boarded before noon and headed straight for the MDR. In case I wasn't clear, we sat at a 4 top and we all arrived together at dinner. No one at our table was waiting for us to arrive.

Total disrespect for table mates, waitstaff, kitchen staff

and cruisers at tables around you

your waitstaff is caring for.

Period!

You do realize my intent in asking the question in the first place was to determine what the acceptable standard is so we wouldn't disrespect our table mates (which we have none) or any of the staff, especially our servers, right? But you sure told me.

You do realize my intent in asking the question in the first place was to determine what the acceptable standard is so we wouldn't disrespect our table mates (which we have none) or any of the staff, especially our servers, right? But you sure told me.

Agreed, that was definitely harsh. :(

Have you decided if you might change to My Time Dining, or you are going to leave it?

Our entire family is compulsively early to most things. We have the 5:30 seating for an upcoming cruise and I have a private excursion booked that has an open ended time frame and we may not want to rush back. But, we really want to eat all 7-nights in the MDR. We've had exceptional service on our last 2 RCCL cruises and enjoy the relationship we've built with our servers. So, how late is too late? If, say my son and I, who can get ready in minutes (no hair helps) can get in the MDR around a 1/2 hour late and my daughter and wife join shortly after; would this work? Out of courtesy, I would let the servers know the evening before its a possibility we'd be late. If a 1/2 hour is acceptable, is 45 minutes to an hour?

I would simply change to my time dining for the cruise say at 6:30. It is simply wrong to show up 30 to 60 minutes late and expect dinner service. They have to prepare that table for late seating dinner too once you have left. That would be rude and inconsiderate to not only the wait staff but the people who are waiting to dine at that table for 2nd seating. Is it fair to make them wait until your service is done and the table prepared?

Agreed, that was definitely harsh. :(

Have you decided if you might change to My Time Dining, or you are going to leave it?

Yes, we're going to keep the traditional early seating. We have had such a great experience our last two cruises, we do want to mess with success. And, we like to eat early normally, so the timing works well for us and the kids too. I'm a planner, big time, so for the one day were thinking we may be pushing the time a bit, I'll have clothes ready for my son and I and, if needed, we can shower and get ready in the fitness center while the girls get ready in the cabin. I can't fully explain it, but I don't want to miss a night in the MDR (and, not to be funny, but I'd feel like I was cheating on our servers if we went to specialty restaurant). I get it, that we likely are getting the same level of service as everyone else, but I like that we've bonded with our wait staff in the past and look forward to doing it again.

On our allure cruise, our table of four was surrounded by large parties. They were always missing a few stragglers. Our waitstaff took the opportunity to get us settled and taken care of first so they could focus on the latecomers.

Our servers were professionals. They knew how to handle the situation and we actually benefited. We were out by 9:45 every night which was perfect for us.

Of course, this was late seating. Early seating could be a different story.

I think 30 minutes is too late. But that's just my feeling. But our servers took it in stride. Didn't ruffle them at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by ksawyercruiser

Aerobaldness,

You've been given one side I the story, let me give you another. On our last cruise, for reasons I won't get into, our family of three was routinely 30-40 minutes late for early seating. We were at a table by ourselves, otherwise, I (perpetually early) would have insisted on eating at windjammer or another venue. Our wait staff was not negatively impacted. Nor were the tables around us (I am very conscious of some matters). We were served appropriate and ate relatively quickly, but we're often out of the dining room before groups around us leaving plenty of time for the turn for the late seating.

I don't think there was a negative opacity on the staff at all... You may have to be patient while they serve their other tables, but you will be accommodated.

Note: I wouldn't do this if we had table mates... That, I would feel is rude.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Aerobaldness,

You've been given one side I the story, let me give you another. On our last cruise, for reasons I won't get into, our family of three was routinely 30-40 minutes late for early seating. We were at a table by ourselves, otherwise, I (perpetually early) would have insisted on eating at windjammer or another venue. Our wait staff was not negatively impacted. Nor were the tables around us (I am very conscious of some matters). We were served appropriate and ate relatively quickly, but we're often out of the dining room before groups around us leaving plenty of time for the turn for the late seating.

I don't think there was a negative opacity on the staff at all... You may have to be patient while they serve their other tables, but you will be accommodated.

Note: I wouldn't do this if we had table mates... That, I would feel is rude.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thanks for posting!!

While it's not the norm I have shown up almost a full hour late on more then one occasion. The key is when I arrive I make it clear to my servers. I was late. No need for all the show and dance. Grab a menu and have them bring me everything at once. That way they aren't having to worry about bringing me each item when finished. I usually let them finish up their other tables and then will have them clear mine. I also try and stack things just to make the clean up easier for them. There is nothing wrong with showing up late. Just understand your service will suffer. If you can make it easier on the server they usually will accommodate anything.

This thread is hilarious! I believe it absolutely is true!

So if they arrive 10 minutes late the servers don't have to drop everything, but if it's 30 minutes they sprint to the new table? 4 whole people are going disrupt the entire dining room by showing up late? So if I show up late I can expect preferential treatment?

You have your own opinion on what's true. I have seen people show up 30 minutes late and the waiter finishes what they are doing then hands the new people a menu. I's a ten foot walk!

Yup a 10 ft walk. Then a delay to other tables to take their orders and more delay while the waiters get them started. The other tables in the waiter's group are delayed simple as that. Been there, had it happen

While it's not the norm I have shown up almost a full hour late on more then one occasion. The key is when I arrive I make it clear to my servers. I was late. No need for all the show and dance. Grab a menu and have them bring me everything at once. That way they aren't having to worry about bringing me each item when finished. I usually let them finish up their other tables and then will have them clear mine. I also try and stack things just to make the clean up easier for them. There is nothing wrong with showing up late. Just understand your service will suffer. If you can make it easier on the server they usually will accommodate anything.<br/>

Sorry, you can justify it if you want but being an hour late to dinner is just plain rude. Your servers may not say anything, but they definitely don't like it. I have been told this personally from a server that is a personal family friend.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Since you are at first seating, you have to remember that they have a schedule to keep so that you are not at the table when second seating arrives. Usually, the doors to the main dining room will be closed approximately 15 min. after the scheduled dining time and that is the indicator that you are too late.

My thoughts exactly, if you would have the second seating (where nobody will be at your table in a matter of time) it might work, but your table is only for a time being your table and at second seating your table might be used.

Just ask your waiter or even better your headwaiter.

Our entire family is compulsively early to most things. We have the 5:30 seating for an upcoming cruise and I have a private excursion booked that has an open ended time frame and we may not want to rush back. But, we really want to eat all 7-nights in the MDR. We've had exceptional service on our last 2 RCCL cruises and enjoy the relationship we've built with our servers. So, how late is too late? If, say my son and I, who can get ready in minutes (no hair helps) can get in the MDR around a 1/2 hour late and my daughter and wife join shortly after; would this work? Out of courtesy, I would let the servers know the evening before its a possibility we'd be late. If a 1/2 hour is acceptable, is 45 minutes to an hour?

So I don't think I will be particularly popular for saying this but I'll just get on with it anyway

I have always been incredibly timely for MDR dinner. I have never been late, and am almost always punctual to the minute (often I'm one of those milling about by the doors).

That being said, those sharing the tables with me (always strangers, I've never had a private table) have not always been timely. 10-15minutes late is THE NORM. I have had people swan in 30minutes late with no notice at all.

I honestly think if you spoke to the server and told them you would be running late, that you would either skip your appetiser or dessert course etc to ensure you are out the door in time for late seating to be readied, and also so that they do not need to wait for your arrival to start the meal for the other guests at the table, then you really would be okay.

I would ALSO add that I LOVE going to the other restaurants onboard and that Izumi is a fantastic choice. Definitely my favourite. Also, the Windjammer has a selection of foods from the MDR and is a really nice quiet atmosphere, perfect for after a long days excursion. If you are desperate to have the MDR meal and honestly thought you wouldn't be more than 30mins late, I think it'd be okay if you notified your waiter and skipped a course. More than that, okay, that's not cool really. If you are open to new experiences, then try dining elsewhere, but definitely let your server know that you will be skipping the MDR that evening so they don't wait for you.

Enjoy your cruise!!!

Come on !! No 45 to an hour late is not acceptable, I can't believe you even ask. :eek:

So, how late is too late? If, say my son and I, who can get ready in minutes (no hair helps) can get in the MDR around a 1/2 hour late and my daughter and wife join shortly after; would this work? Out of courtesy, I would let the servers know the evening before its a possibility we'd be late. If a 1/2 hour is acceptable, is 45 minutes to an hour?

anything more han 10 minutes late is too late. and even then ONLY if you are alone at your table. and everyone needs to arrive at the same time. don't forget they not only have to serve you ut clean up and get ready to serve the late seating time frame.

would you show up at different times at any land based restaurant?

you will need to make other arrangements if you will be more than 10 minutes late to a set dining time.

Come on !! No 45 to an hour late is not acceptable, I can't believe you even ask. :eek:

Did I state my intent was to show up this late? No, the intent of the question was to gauge, from seasoned travelers on this board that I respect the opinions of, what they feel is acceptable. How, exactly, could I get an answer to this question if I didn't ask in the first place?

Here is what I struggle with processing. Its more acceptable (based on feedback) to "no show" your servers and go to the Windjammer or a specialty locale, then it is to let them know the night before that you may be late the next day, show up, say, 15 minutes late as you advised and understand that your service may be delayed as they attend to those that arrived on time. This doesn't quite make sense.

Last year on Jewel, the table next to us appeared to be quite difficult with our waiters on the first night. The second night, the guys did their thing and had several items ready and waiting for that family to try and pre-attend to their needs. The family never showed and, about 50 minutes after the start of dinner, they cleared the items they had pre-placed. It would seem to me that this would have impacted their ability to serve their other diners more than someone arriving late.

Here is something else to consider. Have you ever noticed that your waiter takes the orders from ALL of his/her tables, and then disappears for about 15 minutes? We took a galley tour, and here is why. The waiters take ALL their orders. Then they leave and go to the kitchen - which may be a long way away depending on where their tables are. Then they submit their orders electronically and then they STAND IN LINE. A very long line, and wait to pick up their orders. First they pick up the salads and appetizers. You may have noticed the waiters wheeling in a large cart stacked with covered plates? These are not a random assortment - these are the exact selections that their tables made.

Then the waiters (or assistants) have to go and stand in line again when the kitchen 'line' starts handing out the entrees. Repeat the process for desserts.

So when a person waltzes in 30-45 minutes late, the kitchen 'line' is already serving a course farther into the meal. Your waiter has to make a special trip to the kitchen just for your food. The kitchen has to break the line and fill your order for food that has already passed.

Sorry, but in my opinion it is rude to make your waiter go to this extra trouble and effort. It also means that instead of making the rounds of all their tables asking if everything is ok or refilling glasses or striking up a meaningful relationship with the OTHER cruisers - your waiters are running around fetching food for the late arrival. And worrying. I am sure that they are worrying about turning your table around in time for the next sitting.

Please remember that these staff get judged for everything they do, and there are repercussions for them. They kitchens on ships (with exception of the MTD kitchen that is on a separate floor) are run differently than a land based restaurant where they expect people to arrive in staggered order. It is one night of your cruise. Do the polite thing and either be on time, or eat elsewhere.

Did I state my intent was to show up this late? No, the intent of the question was to gauge, from seasoned travelers on this board that I respect the opinions of, what they feel is acceptable. How, exactly, could I get an answer to this question if I didn't ask in the first place?

Here is what I struggle with processing. Its more acceptable (based on feedback) to "no show" your servers and go to the Windjammer or a specialty locale, then it is to let them know the night before that you may be late the next day, show up, say, 15 minutes late as you advised and understand that your service may be delayed as they attend to those that arrived on time. This doesn't quite make sense.

Last year on Jewel, the table next to us appeared to be quite difficult with our waiters on the first night. The second night, the guys did their thing and had several items ready and waiting for that family to try and pre-attend to their needs. The family never showed and, about 50 minutes after the start of dinner, they cleared the items they had pre-placed. It would seem to me that this would have impacted their ability to serve their other diners more than someone arriving late.

It is also polite to inform your servers the night before (or call the dining room the prior to service to inform them) if you will not be dining there on a particular night. Some people are just plain rude and thoughtless and there's no fixing that.

I know your waiter will tell you to come whenever you like but that's only because they will do and say anything to make you happy. Don't believe it - being late really screws things up for everyone.

This is such a good point!

The OP asked a reasonable question about arrival time for dinner. He is a planner and wanted to know. He doesn't want to be rude, but now he knows what is reasonable he will plan accordingly. Most of the Compasses state what time the dining room doors will close indicating that everyone should be in the dining room by that time. It's usually 15 minutes after stated dining time. There will always be people that think it doesn't apply to them but it doesn't make it right. The waiters do want to be accommodating and will tell you it's okay. Good luck with your plans and have a great cruise.

The OP asked a reasonable question about arrival time for dinner. He is a planner and wanted to know. He doesn't want to be rude, but now he knows what is reasonable he will plan accordingly. Most of the Compasses state what time the dining room doors will close indicating that everyone should be in the dining room by that time. It's usually 15 minutes after stated dining time. There will always be people that think it doesn't apply to them but it doesn't make it right. The waiters do want to be accommodating and will tell you it's okay. Good luck with your plans and have a great cruise.

Thank you for putting a bow on this for me and for the kind words, sincerely. With the perspective provided, we'll do the right thing and I'm glad I asked.

I think you question is a good one. I had a shop excursion, that got back slightly late which made dinner time late. Sometimes, with the timing of things, it is difficult, but I am not a dinner buffet person. I want to sit down, relax, and be served. Sometimes, people forget the idea of the MDR is just that. To be served, and the servers are their to do just that. Although I agree 30-45 minutes might be pushing it, I see no issue with communicating the night before. After all, I paid for it, and the server gets the tips. It's amazing of the large number of people, who make out the servers are these poor overworked individuals and we should never do anything that might make them work slightly harder. That's why they get tips and not straight salary. You just need to use your judgement, work with the staff, and if you feel they really went out of their way, give them an extra $20. and say thanks!