Live from Indy, it's ...... Noro!

sr5242

After reading all the hype and negative comments about the Grandeur and Norovirus……. my conclusion is that the entire crew from the Grandeur transferred to the Indy and thus caused the current outbreak.:cool::rolleyes:;):eek:

You may be closer to the truth than you think :D Grandeur shares Labadee with Indy on the 8 day cruise. Thus, they shared the buffet on the island with Grandeur passengers and crew...

You may be closer to the truth than you think :D Grandeur shares Labadee with Indy on the 8 day cruise. Thus, they shared the buffet on the island with Grandeur passengers and crew...

Good detective work!

Wonder who else Grandeur came in contact with?

Good detective work!

Wonder who else Grandeur came in contact with?

LOL! Blame my field experience :D We were there in March. Fortunately, we missed the Noro outbreak!

Grandeur and Indy in Labadee:

DSC_0859_zpsafef580d.jpeg

How is the food being served in the Windjammer??

By the way I was on Independence on the 4/6 sailing. The gold by the inch was taken away because too many people touch the chains......at least that's what the clerk told me.

There were 39+ cases is Noro on that cruise. I met and a nurse on that cruise and her mother was quarantined.

We are going on the next 8 day cruise on the Indy. Which night are the formal nights. I was assuming the second sea day would be the first formal night. Not sure on the other formal night. Any last min tips of things to do or avoid?

Hope they get the Noro cleaned up! For you experts what is the best anti noro cleanber for your hands and cabin?

We are going on the next 8 day cruise on the Indy. Which night are the formal nights. I was assuming the second sea day would be the first formal night. Not sure on the other formal night. Any last min tips of things to do or avoid?

Hope they get the Noro cleaned up! For you experts what is the best anti noro cleanber for your hands and cabin?

Come join our Roll Call. All of your questions are answered there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1648294&page=59

Brilliant. :)

Edited by Merion_Mom

But the 2 weeks of Grandeur's Noro outbreak they were not at Labadee, so I doubt there is any connection. Grandeur was doing Eastern Caribbean the first week and Bahamas the second week and they stopped at CocoCay both weeks, not Labadee. ;)

But the 2 weeks of Grandeur's Noro outbreak they were not at Labadee, so I doubt there is any connection. Grandeur was doing Eastern Caribbean the first week and Bahamas the second week and they stopped at CocoCay both weeks, not Labadee. ;)

We've always stopped at Labadee while doing the Eastern Caribbean, never Coco Cay. And the last 3 times we've been there, the Independence has been there with us. That was on the Grandeur and Explorer. The Grandeur in March.

Gwen :)

We've always stopped at Labadee while doing the Eastern Caribbean, never Coco Cay. And the last 3 times we've been there, the Independence has been there with us. That was on the Grandeur and Explorer. The Grandeur in March.

That may be, but on the March 28, 2014 itinerary (the week the Noro showed up on Grandeur) Grandeur was at CocoCay. Here is their specific itinerary that week (it was a Bahamas Cruise though, not Eastern ;)) But, the point was simply that Grandeur and Indy were not together at any point during Grandeur's Noro outbreak (either week) so it is not likely that there is a connection. Hopefully Indy will fair better than Grandeur did though, and will not have multiple weeks affected.

Good news for 4/19 Grandeur passengers...we are boarding Grandeur today and we were NOT notified of any outbreak on the returning ship! Yay! :)

Here is the itinerary Grandeur sailed the week of her first Noro outbreak...

Days Ports of Call Arrival Departure

1 Baltimore, Maryland 4:00pm

2 At Sea

3 Port Canaveral, Florida 10:00am 10:00pm

4 Nassau, Bahamas 1:30pm 11:59pm

5 Cococay (Cruiseline's Private Island) 8:00am 5:00pm

6 Key West, Florida 9:00am 5:00pm

7 At Sea

8 At Sea

9 Baltimore, Maryland 7:00am

Edited by Bonnie Voyager

Here is the 8 day compass for you :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013731

So much for my field experience... :D

As far as I know they had not had an outbreak of noro prior to your cruise so it would be traditional cleaning and boarding so

your experience would not be the same as this cruisers. When the ask people to arrive later they are usually serious about

It.... I received that email prior to my last cruise I our case as we were following a transatlantic and they required extra time

to clear the ship. We boarded exactly when they said they would..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

agree with you. see you on the TA

That may be, but on the March 28, 2014 itinerary (the week the Noro showed up on Grandeur) Grandeur was at CocoCay. Here is their specific itinerary that week (it was a Bahamas Cruise though, not Eastern ;)) But, the point was simply that Grandeur and Indy were not together at any point during Grandeur's Noro outbreak (either week) so it is not likely that there is a connection. Hopefully Indy will fair better than Grandeur did though, and will not have multiple weeks affected.

Good news for 4/19 Grandeur passengers...we are boarding Grandeur today and we were NOT notified of any outbreak on the returning ship! Yay! :)

2 At Sea

7 At Sea

8 At Sea

Thanks for the clarification and have a great cruise. I love the Grandeur, no matter what. ;)

So much for my field experience... :D

No worries! I was very impressed with your theory and it would have made GREAT sense! The only reason I knew Grandeur wasn't at Labadee though, is because I've been following her closely, since I board her in just a few hours! :D

Thanks for the clarification and have a great cruise. I love the Grandeur, no matter what. ;)

Thank you so much! :D I too love Grandeur! She is one elegant lady! I haven't sailed her in almost a decade and she has been refurbished since my last visit! Anxious to see her again!

Two of our table mates had intestinal trouble this sailing. One had a one-time upset and never felt ill. She reported her incident and was quarantined in her room for 24 hours after her last symptom. Her husband told us that they were not offering any credit for her missed day, which happened to be our day at Labadee.

The second table mate clearly had the bug that was going around. He spent 6 hours in the bathroom. He never reported it and even went to the windjammer while he was still feeling ill. No wonder Royal has so much trouble containing the outbreaks.

I can't help but wonder if Royal should do more to incentivize people to do the right thing. Eventually, the first table mate received a credit worth one day on a future cruise. Some people are jerks and put the rest of us at risk.

Meanwhile, my hands are chapped from so much washing and I am feeling fine.

Just got off Indy. Happy to say our family if 5 is very healthy. GI issues here. On day 5 they announced about 25recorded cases of GI/Noro issues from day 4 and then 10 from day 5. By the morning of day 6 increased sanitation measures were implemented. No self serve in the windjammer, no self serve ice cream, no taking food out if the windjammer and sanitizer stations just about every 10ft. Constant cleaning was taking place all over the ship. Our waiter was telling us the ALL crew members were working over time to help with extra sanitization. That a fit staff went from the dining room to the state rooms to help. The behind the scenes efforts were immense.

As for who to blame.... Everyone. You can't avoid it. You touch so many surfaces throughout the day. Handrails, touch screens, door handles, swimming in. Pool with 1000 people. Washing hands and sanitizing helps but it's only good until you touch the next surface which probably happens within 1 minute.

Overall the cruise was fantastic. They are doing deep sanitization today before the next boarding. For those that are traveling today, I wouldn't worry. And it you do have it on your trip most likely it boarded with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, not being able to take food out of WJ was annoying. I can only assume they didn't want people eating where surfaces are not at controlled with sanitizing efforts like the pool deck and chairs.

I can understand the increased sanitation efforts but I don't understand the rational for not being able to take food out of the Windjammer. I would find that a bit annoying.

I was on Explorer in January for that huge outbreak of 489 sick people and they did let you take food out of the WJ. :confused:

2 At Sea

7 At Sea

8 At Sea

Just off Grandeur -- back to normal since Wednesday/Thursday. Passengers can serve themselves at Windjammer, salt/pepper, sugar, etc back on tables. Staff still cleaning everything like crazy. Great trip but the crew is exhausted, they should be commended for their hard work.

Yes, not being able to take food out of WJ was annoying. I can only assume they didn't want people eating where surfaces are not at controlled with sanitizing efforts like the pool deck and chairs.

can understand that.

Still on board waiting to get off. Per our room attendant they were about 37 with noro on day 7 and down to 2 on day 8. The 6th floor was particularly ill and was going to be "fogged" this morning. Biohazard bags and employees wearing "spacesuits" on 6th floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got off Indy. All in our party of 6 avoided it.

Fun fact: they put a small square yellow magnet on the upper left side of the doorway of the affected/infected cabin. They leave it there until disembarkation so they know which rooms need a little extra cleaning.

Also, I believe our stateroom attendant fell ill as we never saw him again after day 6 or so.

We still had a great time and I thought the ship did a fantastic job of keeping this as contained as possible. I felt sorry for the poor guest relations people that we're getting yelled at because they wouldn't give him a FULL refund because his wife had a 24-hour stomach bug... :rolleyes: