Getting Out of Port Everglades

mcrcruiser

We did b2b Eastern & Western Caribbean cruises .when we disembarked ,it took over a hour to get through customs . They didn't even have a Handicap line open :o

We decided never again to cruise into Port Everglades Ft Lauderdale .We would cruise out ;but ,not back again .A TA cruise would be a good example of not disembarking in Port Everglades .I believe this problem has been going on for some time now:eek:

We have cruised from FLL many times. It depends on the day of the week and how many ships are there. We normally take cruises longer than 7 days, which tend to arrive back on a week day, and have never had a problem. We are usually at the airport waiting for our flight by 10:00 am.

Our experience was the opposite. We had a quick, efficient disembarkment. Lines appeared daunting but moved quickly. A long line of folks waiting for taxis was handled nicely by taxi employees who kept the queue orderly and moving briskly.

I was worried, because I'd read other reviews that mirrored the OP's experience - I guess it really does change from day to day.

Edited by turning46

It also doesn't help when passengers aren't prepared or get off before their number is called.

Have seen many holding up the lines because they don't have their documents filled out, get off before their number is called and getting in the way becasue their luggage isn't available.

No port is perfect and some delays are caused by the Crusie lines and others are not in their control.

🌅🚢

We disembarked about 2 weeks ago in Port Everglades. We opted for a late time slot ( 9:45 a.m.) and literally walked right off the ship and went through customs with no stopping or waiting. When we walked outside there was no wait for a cab at all and we were at FLL in 10 minutes tops. Absolutely the best disembark ever.

We have been at Port Everglades when it was slow, with long lines and lots of waiting. That was unusual in our experience though.

Are you talking about in the cruise terminal where/when you pick up your bags?

If you had problems getting out of the ship's terminal then that is the cruiseline's problem. And we have never had that kind of wait. Apparently your ship was letting too many people off at once thus causing the back ups. Or groups of peole were allowed off the ship willy-nilly. If the staff times color group departures correctly, you shouldn't have much of a wait.

Has nothing to do with Port Everglades....unless you are talking about something happening at the airport?

We did b2b Eastern & Western Caribbean cruises .when we disembarked ,it took over a hour to get through customs . They didn't even have a Handicap line open :o

We decided never again to cruise into Port Everglades Ft Lauderdale .We would cruise out ;but ,not back again .A TA cruise would be a good example of not disembarking in Port Everglades .I believe this problem has been going on for some time now:eek:

I am guessing you aren't cruising out of San Diego any more either, as San Diego has the rep for being about the worst for Immigration lines and times.

We got off Noordam Feb 28 at 7:10. We were sitting at our gate at FLL, after checking a bag and going thru security, by 8:05. It all depends on the day.

I have not seen a handicap gate at any Immigrations location...

I must agree with OP. We disembarked a TA there about 18 months ago and it was a nightmare. We opted for late disembarkation since we were driving home. Got off the ship and the customs/immigration was backed up into the luggage area. Took forever and then the wait for the shuttle to the car rental was in the sun for nearly an hour more since they were servicing several other ships first. Neither the customs/immigration nor the rental car company were prepared to deal with the number of people.

This is why we tell people not to book those early morning flights. I wonder how many people missed their flights?

The longest time that it has ever taken us to get from walking off the ship to getting through the customs lines has been one hour, and it is usually about half that time. People in wheelchairs are wheeled off the ship and and past the people waiting in lines on RC and Celebrity (not sure about the others).