Staterooms on RC

Lily1A

Hi, my husband and I are contemplating our first Royal Caribbean cruise. My husband has concerns about the size of the cabins on the Brilliance. He claims they are 30% smaller than those on Princess, NCL, etc. We were looking at a balcony. Any one out there who can comment on room size in Balcony Cabins. Thanks to all! Lily

Hi, my husband and I are contemplating our first Royal Caribbean cruise. My husband has concerns about the size of the cabins on the Brilliance. He claims they are 30% smaller than those on Princess, NCL, etc. We were looking at a balcony. Any one out there who can comment on room size in Balcony Cabins. Thanks to all! Lily

The balcony staterooms range from 162 to 189 square feet, not including the balcony itself.

I have not compared the squarefootage of the various lines, so can´t really comment if the Statement is true. However I´ve sailed in Balcony cabins on RCI (including Brilliance), Princess and NCL. Whatever the exact measurement was RCI cabins feel the most spacious to me with the best storage. Princess would come as a second and NCL as third here.

Only exemption to me is Oasis class which have the worst cabinlayout and storage Options in the fleet.

I have not compared the squarefootage of the various lines, so can´t really comment if the Statement is true. However I´ve sailed in Balcony cabins on RCI (including Brilliance), Princess and NCL. Whatever the exact measurement was RCI cabins feel the most spacious to me with the best storage. Princess would come as a second and NCL as third here.

Only exemption to me is Oasis class which have the worst cabinlayout and storage Options in the fleet.

didn't know that. Oasis was the first cruise we were on. Have to look at the home photos.

We've sailed on Brilliance and all of her sister ships AND on Princess, X, NCL, HAL, etc. Balcony cabins on all the cruise lines. I think Royal Caribbean (with HAL a close second) has the roomiest and best laid out cabins. LOTS of storage space in the vanity (even behind the angled side mirrors) and the sofa across from it, which gives you a little open area when you first walk into the cabin. I am one of those who likes the bed near the balcony. Category E's have a love seat and D's have a full sofa.

I agree that NCL has the worst (smallest) and the sofa (like 2 planks of foam) is almost unusable.

I know that I can compare dimensions of staterooms but there are so many types and classes I can't be sure. I just wanted the personal opinions of those who have sailed on the Brilliance

As I said my subjective opinion is RCI cabins feel bigger to me.

Example from Brilliance:

shp_br_dovb-state_img_305.jpg

Example from Crown Princess:

ry%3D400

As you can see from the example pics and I think they paint a pretty accurate Picture, in the RCI cabins you will have a much larger vanity arey, plus a Sofa and coffee table vs just a chair and coffee table.

I know that I can compare dimensions of staterooms but there are so many types and classes I can't be sure. I just wanted the personal opinions of those who have sailed on the Brilliance

Not sure anyone can determine how much space YOU need. I've sailed this class of ship and have found the balcony and OV cabins to be adequate for us. I've not sailed Princess or NCL so I cannot compare.

With that said, we are used to smaller cabins ( balcony cabins and OVs) and really don't use the storage and floor space when we have a junior suite or full suite. Everyone is different. Many will only sail in suites and find any balcony or lower cabin category to be too small.

Look at the cabin dimensions on ships you have sailed and the dimensions of the Brilliance cabins you are considering booking so you can make an educated comparison.

good luck

M

I have not stayed in a balcony cabin on the Brilliance class, but I have been in one on the Rhapsody. A balcony cabin on the Rhapsody is smaller than a "D" balcony on the Brilliance, but I thought it seemed FAR bigger than my balcony cabin on Princess. Part of the difference is in having a sitting area with a sofa instead of just a chair, and part of it is the RCI room is quite a bit larger...if my memory serves me correctly, there is about a 30 sq. foot difference.

When we sail RCI we choose a Category D balcony cabin, which is a bit larger than a Category E. On Princess, we feel the balcony rooms are so small that we always take a Mini-Suite. Never sailed NCL so can't really comment, but when considering a cruise on one of their newer ships...Epic and Breakaway, the curved walls and bathroom layout were a deal breaker for us.

For us, RCI has the best balcony rooms!

Does anyone know whether handicapped rooms cost more?

Ok, Ill be "that guy" and bite because curiosity is killing me.

Your first post in this thread mentions nothing about needing an accessible cabin. Your husband is worried about the size of RCI cabins and then you come back with inquiries about "handicap cabins".

I apologize in advance and I know what they say about assuming but I DO have to ask. Why are you now interested in "handicap cabins"? :confused:

If you dont need the accessible features and are just looking for more room then please do the right thing and book a bigger non accessible cabin and leave these accessible cabins for those of us who NEED one to take a cruise :)

Edited by ryano

Well said Ryano. I have MS but do not use a walker, scooter or wheelchair, YET! I don't ask for accessible cabin because people who use mobility devices truly need them. There are only so many accessible cabins available. I thought that a document from a medical professional was needed to book an accessible cabin, but I sure could be wrong about that!! I am sure somebody will let me know if I'm wrong about that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see I opened a hornet's nest by asking about handicapped cabins. Yes, I am looking for more space. I merely wondered if we could buy a handicapped room that was not needed. I just assumed that, as someone said, we wouldn't be allowed to buy a handicapped room if there were people who needed it. Why do you just assume that we are horrible people who would deprive a handicapped person so we could have more space? Of course not! I'm sorry if my question came across that way. I hope Royal Caribbean would see that that never happens.

As long as there is a bed and bathroom can you really expect much more on any cruiseline in a standard balcony room?:rolleyes: They are all going to be pretty small and compact, I can't see making the actual size or layout a determinging factor in choosing a cruise. All nine of our cruises have been on Royal Caribbean balcony's and we're thinking of booking a balcony on Carnival next year. It never occured to me to scour the internet or elsewhere for the exact size or layout of Carnival balcony rooms........

As the people who stay in interior rooms say, you're not in there much during the day anyway.

And you'll still have a balcony. Tell your hubby to stop thinking too much :)

Edited by bouhunter

Many people are trying to help you. No one can now what is too small for you and what is the right size.

The Brilliance only has TWO different balcony categories, E and a D . E is a bit smaller than D All E’s are the same size; all D’s are the same size.

For me, either is fine, and others have stated that anything but a suite is too small. If you are used to a balcony cabin then that the balconies on the Brilliance will be OK. If you are unsure, book a category D. If you are accustomed to a suite, than that is what you should book.

As for the accessible cabin, there are very few on the ship and yes they are generally the same price, and yes they are larger, so that a wheelchair or scooter can be accommodated. There is also a roll - in shower, and other variances in the cabin to make it accessible for those who need it.

good luck

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Why do you just assume that we are horrible people who would deprive a handicapped person so we could have more space? .

I didnt say or even imply that you were a horrible person. All I begged was for you to please leave handicap accessible cabins to those who really need them :) They only represent about 1% of all cabins on board.

ALL of these cabins are needed and are generally booked months in advance :) They are released to the general public for booking after final payment date if there is a cancellation.

Again, I never said you were a horrible person :) its just a big pet peeve of mine that able body people book these only because they want more room.

I do not blame you for wanting space. I enjoy mine also. I spend a good amount of time in the cabin and on my balcony. I did not mean to "flame" you for that. There is a difference of a few feet between a deluxe and a superior balcony stateroom but not sure how much difference it makes. Hard to tell from the website. Small difference in $ but not too much usually. Maybe someone can give some info on that. I was going to book the superior for my up coming cruise but stayed with the deluxe because of family on the same cruise wanted to book cabins in the same location. I did book the "hump" balcony stateroom because I love the location and good view. I have only cruised with Royal and Carnival.... Royal Caribbean wins hands down! But I do not dislike Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums