River Cruising Roll Calls

Host Jazzbeau

Thank you for working on this :) My vote is to arrange threads by line/year. As others have said, those of us who are traveling on lines listed less frequently can more easily find information. In addition, many questions do pertain to lines/ships (dining, touring, etc.). Stickies can also be used to arrange posts by river --those cruising the Rhine have different interests than those going to Asia, for example. Just my opinion. Cruise Critic is the best!

I don't see how line/year is helpful. Someone going to China is not going to have information to share about the Danube. On the other boards there is info on each cruise line posted under general information not the roll call boards.

Not sure what the "right" format is but I find myself looking at any post where I see "France" "French" or "Paris" because that is our next river cruise. I've gotten some of the best trip info from these tour discussions. But do need to 'hunt' for them.

I do like seeing all the Vantage trips listed in one post---hoping against hope to find a fellow CC cruiser!

Have been thinking--would line/itinerary/year work. An example might be: Viking/Elbe/2015. Then all Viking cruises in 2015 would not be lumped together and others who have travelled on that trip might be able to answer questions. It would all give others on an Elbe cruise another avenue for information. Thanks for listening. Pat

Jazz ~ first you're doing a fabulous job - just your organization so far has been fantastic!

As for the roll calls - I like the suggestion of line/year but then also adding in the ports area either the general categories of places or areas OR itinerary/year.

Last year before or Viking Rhine River cruise in December, I was reading:

Rhine River threads

Viking threads

Christmas cruises 2013

Christmas cruises 2014

Specific city threads in the ports section

plus checking the Ports of Call forum for the specific cities we'd be traveling to.

There NO easy answer but I found great info in all areas!

One concern ~ if areas get too narrow will past passenger bother to read and answer threads about cruises they've taken? Some of the best info comes from experienced passengers - hope we'll never lose that feature!

Thanks again for your great job and for being willing to listen to all of us!!!!

Jazz, first - thanks for all your hard work!

We will be on an Avalon/2014 cruise through Gernamy on the Danube/Main/Rhine (from Passau to Basel) I don't see where that trip fits into any of the "omnibus" roll calls.

I do realize that this is a trip that isn't made by many lines.....and am surprised that there are still 10 cabins available for a July 2014 cruise - but it would be nice to have the 'chance' of meeting someone who's at least been on the Artistry II. :(

Jazz, first - thanks for all your hard work!

We will be on an Avalon/2014 cruise through Gernamy on the Danube/Main/Rhine (from Passau to Basel) I don't see where that trip fits into any of the "omnibus" roll calls.

I do realize that this is a trip that isn't made by many lines.....and am surprised that there are still 10 cabins available for a July 2014 cruise - but it would be nice to have the 'chance' of meeting someone who's at least been on the Artistry II. :(

We are doing your same Avalon cruise in July 2015. Actually we begin in Munich then sail from Passau to Basel. Please do a trip report. Thanks

Hydrokitty..

That would be me (Pat) that added your trip to the Vantage list. I just did a cut and paste and re-added the whole list into a new reply then typed in the addition of your trip. A bit trickier is the sizes and colors of the fonts for the years!!

Thanks Pat I was happily surprised to find it had been posted! Now all I need is for someone to say Hey, I'm on that same cruise!:D

I will certainly do that!

This trip seems to be one that it difficult to find information about. I'm starting to get excited.......2 months to go!

It's an unusual itinerary. Sounds like a good one! Hope you have a great trip!

Have been thinking--would line/itinerary/year work. An example might be: Viking/Elbe/2015. Then all Viking cruises in 2015 would not be lumped together and others who have travelled on that trip might be able to answer questions. It would all give others on an Elbe cruise another avenue for information. Thanks for listening. Pat

It sounds like PacMom and I are in the minority, but I agree with her. I have booked a Viking/Elbe/2015 cruise. I think it would be very frustrating to use the line/year format. I have no interest in reading about Viking trips to China or on the Rhone.

I do like the idea of using 'Ports' as a way to share information related to a river. The challenge will be to get CC users to use Ports to organize river information. Would it be possible to actually create a 'Rivers' category as a major heading, with subheadings for the Elbe, Rhone, etc?

Best wishes,

David

It sounds like PacMom and I are in the minority, but I agree with her. I have booked a Viking/Elbe/2015 cruise. I think it would be very frustrating to use the line/year format. I have no interest in reading about Viking trips to China or on the Rhone.

I do like the idea of using 'Ports' as a way to share information related to a river. The challenge will be to get CC users to use Ports to organize river information. Would it be possible to actually create a 'Rivers' category as a major heading, with subheadings for the Elbe, Rhone, etc?

Best wishes,

David

I like your idea David....it would make things much easier to find. however I fear not enough people are using this board to make a further subdivision worth the trouble. Seems to be the same people posting most of the time...not that that's a bad thing!:D

I would like to see the China trips and Russia trips each having their own board.... Don't think different lines need their separate board for Russia and China as these two destinations have interesting info unique to each country.

What really annoys me is a board that appears to be dominated by Viking, not Viking's fault I just am sick of Viking everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by nana541

What really annoys me is a board that appears to be dominated by Viking, not Viking's fault I just am sick of Viking everything!

Amen to that!!!! I agree it's not Viking's fault, but it does seem like 99% of the posts are about Viking!:eek:

Amen to that!!!! I agree it's not Viking's fault, but it does seem like 99% of the posts are about Viking!:eek:

Ok so maybe I'm not crazy....and I'm sure the other cruise lines wish they had this dilemma. But OMG I would just like to enjoy reading a little more about other companies (AMA, Avalon, Uniworld, Tauck, Etc) and a bunch less about Viking!

Sadly, I does not seem this will happen....

I'm wondering if it makes sense to have organization something like: Viking, river, year and everybody else, river, year. I did a quick check and Viking has about the same number of European ships as AMA, Avalon, Tauck, Vantage, and Scenic combined.

So a binary division with Viking on one side and everybody else on the other might result in similar number of posts for each. Viking specific issues would stay on their threads and others would be combined.

FuelScience

I'm wondering if it makes sense to have organization something like: Viking, river, year and everybody else, river, year. I did a quick check and Viking has about the same number of European ships as AMA, Avalon, Tauck, Vantage, and Scenic combined.

So a binary division with Viking on one side and everybody else on the other might result in similar number of posts for each. Viking specific issues would stay on their threads and others would be combined.

FuelScience

I could get into that! Then the Viking family wouldn't have to put up with our snarky remarks:D and we wouldn't have to feel so overwhelmed by them:D

Just to be sure: are you guys talking about organizing the Roll Calls forum this way, or the Ports forum, or the main River Cruising forum?

Remember that we need a general area for first-time river cruisers to ask the most basic questions.

Another consideration: I understand the logic of "Viking" and "All Other" and that probably does cover approximately equal numbers of ships on each side. BUT (a) will we get complaints that being put into "other" feels like a diss? and (b) will it look like we're advertising or pushing Viking by naming only them?

Another consideration: I understand the logic of "Viking" and "All Other" and that probably does cover approximately equal numbers of ships on each side. BUT (a) will we get complaints that being put into "other" feels like a diss? and (b) will it look like we're advertising or pushing Viking by naming only them?

Don't think there is ever going to be a clear winner to this one. While I would not consider sailing with Viking I do read many of those threads. The experience on a particular itinerary whether aboard Viking or another AMA, Avalon, etc is of interest to any cruiser as we will experience many of the same excursions and ports.

Even when it's someone reporting about a wonderful time with Viking, each of these posts gives insight as to what we will expect on our own cruise.

Do I think I will ever cruise Viking, no, but I am thrilled to read that some one else is loving their trip and all the reasons why!

After reading all the other comments, I'd like to amend my answer.

I think if the Roll Calls were set up with 2 divisions - Viking & All Others (no I don't mind being lumped in the All Others group, so I don't have to wade through all the Viking posts - unless I want to).

Then each group could title their threads as they wish. For example, I would look under the All Other group, then look for a thread titled Vantage, Rhine, 2015 (or something like that). Or I could look for any other thread titled Rhine, 2015, if I want.

Does that make sense?

I may need to amend my answer as well, "Never say never" as I can actually guess at a couple reasons that I might actually choice (of my own free will) to sail with Viking! ;)

And every time Viking chimes in on to this board I am reminded that there may be more to them, than my own preconceived notions! Many of our fellow board members are extremely happy with their sailing experience with Viking and I need to remember that. Just wish we had an equal number of other river sailors reporting about the other lines sailing the worlds beautiful rivers!

Ok back to the subject at hand....

Pssst - Reason # 1 - I keep signing up to win a Viking cruise, no complaint from me except that I have not won one yet :)

Edited by nana541

I agree with the Viking and All Other idea. :)