River Cruising Roll Calls

Host Jazzbeau

After reading all the other comments, I'd like to amend my answer.

I think if the Roll Calls were set up with 2 divisions - Viking & All Others (no I don't mind being lumped in the All Others group, so I don't have to wade through all the Viking posts - unless I want to).

Then each group could title their threads as they wish. For example, I would look under the All Other group, then look for a thread titled Vantage, Rhine, 2015 (or something like that). Or I could look for any other thread titled Rhine, 2015, if I want.

Does that make sense?

It makes sense to me. There's about 5 or 6 of us frequent posters that travel with Vantage and a handful with the other lines....but Viking, being the largest line, does have the most followers. I don't mind being an "all other" but I do mind signing on and seeing post after post referring to Viking. It's not that I don't like Viking but it's difficult to have someone ask a generic question and you want to help but you have to preface your answer with "having never sailed with Viking".....I think if we were grouped as Viking and Other we would be more inclined to look at all the threads and more confident in responding to specific questions.

As someone who has booked but not yet taken a Viking cruise I would prefer "Viking" and "other". Then I would hope that the "other" fans could just ignore Viking instead of trying to make the rest of feel like we're stupid (falling for the terrible Viking PR) and have low standards. It would be nice to read a Viking thread without all the insults. Then the people taking a Viking cruise could ask questions and get answers and the others could do the same.

As someone who has booked but not yet taken a Viking cruise I would prefer "Viking" and "other". Then I would hope that the "other" fans could just ignore Viking instead of trying to make the rest of feel like we're stupid (falling for the terrible Viking PR) and have low standards. It would be nice to read a Viking thread without all the insults. Then the people taking a Viking cruise could ask questions and get answers and the others could do the same.

Unfortunately Joanne, most of the negative remarks come from people who DID sail with Viking. I don't recall anyone who has not sailed with Viking telling people like you who has just booked her first river cruise, that she's made a mistake booking with Viking. We can, and often do, disagree with each other on CC and sometimes it can get quite heated, but to actually try to make someone feel "stupid" for booking with Viking, or any other line, isn't what we do. :)

Joanne I don't believe ANY member of this board has EVER insulted a cruiser who has booked a Viking trip. As you may have noted many many of our members actually are strong Viking supporters. Some members are not happy with Viking policies or the practices or a prior experience.

But I think I can safely say this is not NOT ever a reflection on those who have had wonderful experiences sailing with Viking. In fact every member of this board would like nothing better than for every person setting sail on Viking or any other River Cruise boat have a fabulous time and come back and tell us all about their trip!

I feel very sorry, if you have felt anything but welcomed on this board, and we are thrilled you have booked your river cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

As someone who has made 19 river cruises with one more in Dec, I don't want to cruise Vikings longships. Yes, have cruised Viking--2 in Europe , 1 on Russia and one in China. Our trip on the Elbe and in China were fantastic, the others only soso.

My reasons for not wanting to cruise the longships has nothing to do with the company--wouldn't sail on a longship no matter who owned it. IMHO think the ship to carry about 50 too many pax. Also don't like the size of French balcony cabins---smaller and more expensive than "aquarium class" cabins.

If Viking went back to smaller boats and had an itinerary we liked, we would again look at them.

My Viking objection is 1. Paying so far in advance vs 90 - 120 days prior to sailing and 2. The 200 passengers on the longships vs the competition having 120 to 140ish passengers.

The passenger count for me is the real show stopper.... I could likely overcome the payment dates with the right incentive...

But as I stated earlier, Never say Never!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Um, Hydrokitty, I may be mistaken, but I believe some of the "snarky" remarks have come from those who have said they would never sail Viking.

I agree with you rjscott. Snarky remarks made about Viking by people who have never sailed Viking and say they never will. What/who do they benefit by making their negative remarks about Viking. Our first river cruise (not yet taken) is on Viking and when I began seeing those comments on this board, I at first thought maybe we had made a mistake in booking with them. The more I read, the more convinced I became that I just need to ignore those who have not sailed them so have not earned the right to offer their opinion about Viking.

When I read reviews of cruises, as well as of books (I'm an avid reader), I read the negative reviews and see if they are complaining about something that would bother me. Our cup is half full so often they are running a cruise or a book into the ground over something that would not effect us in a negative way.

SeaTheWorldBySea, are you still booked for Budapest to Amsterdam in September? DH and I are doing that itinerary in reverse with Avalon. Hoping you will post about your plans and your trip when you return. Even though we sail with different companies your experience and plans are of interest to any cruiser dreaming of that itinerary. This is why the Rivers, the Companies sailing those rivers and the cruisers are all so interconnected, no matter what ship or company we choose to sail with.

Looking forward to your reports, happy planning!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

SeaTheWorldBySea, are you still booked for Budapest to Amsterdam in September? DH and I are doing that itinerary in reverse with Avalon. Hoping you will post about your plans and your trip when you return. Even though we sail with different companies your experience and plans are of interest to any cruiser dreaming of that itinerary. This is why the Rivers, the Companies sailing those rivers and the cruisers are all so interconnected, no matter what ship or company we choose to sail with.

Budapest to Amsterdam was our first river cruise. We were on Vantage and went late Aug to Sept. It was wonderful...weather, sights, river, cities all spectacular. We leave next month going the other way: Budapest to Constanta...still with Vantage (#6)

Yes, we will be doing the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary this year and are really looking forward to it, our first river cruise. We are so sure we will like river cruising, we have booked the Elbe for 2015.

Yes, we will be doing the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary this year and are really looking forward to it, our first river cruise. We are so sure we will like river cruising, we have booked the Elbe for 2015.

Be sure and share it with us when you get home.... We don't go until Sept 2015 and it's so hard to wait that long!

• 10 months later...

OK what was the outcome of the discussion on how to find a roll call for a river cruise?

I check the Roll Casll Hub link and Scenic Cruises aren't listed there - or am I missing something?

Last year I'm sure I was contributing to a roll call for scenic cruises Amsterdam to Budapest later this year, but after being away for 3 months I now can't find that again.

I'd be grateful for a link

Maybe I'm just rusty after being away so long................

Thanks

There is a thread under river cruise forums 'All Scenic etc which may be what you are looking for. I tried starting an All Scenic France one but no one was interested.

I have no worries about Viking apart from those listed by other subscribers but must admit they went up in my estimation when very close friends cruised with them and he became extremely ill there care and consideration in my estimation was exemplary.

We cruised on the Scenic Gem last year and the lower passenger numbers was noticeable but not the ship being smaller, most perculiar. So cannot wait to persuade my other half that we go to Portrugal next year the new ship is even cosier.

Enjoy your cruise CA

Edited by Canal archive
Syntax

I search by ship, destination, date of departure.

Viking Bragi - 15 Day Grand - 6/27/15

Edited by jabow1
Signature is not correct. Fonts too large.