Boston Hotels

Nifervon

Hi all!

We are going on our first cruise this September departing from Boston. We are planning to be there 2 days prior to the cruise to do some sightseeing. Any recommendations on hotels in the area that might offer shuttle service to/from airport and the cruise terminal? We will not have a car.

Check out the Holiday Inn Express on Boston St. They do a Park and cruise deal. The other HIX in area might do the same.

Boston downtown hotels are very expensive, and this was somewhat reasonable.

Check out the East Coast departures forum. This is a regularly asked question.

And for the record, due to location, we don't normally recommend the hotels that offer Park and Cruise deals. They aren't near any of the tourist stuff and can be in some out of the way areas, and no where near the port.

Hi all!

We are going on our first cruise this September departing from Boston. We are planning to be there 2 days prior to the cruise to do some sightseeing. Any recommendations on hotels in the area that might offer shuttle service to/from airport and the cruise terminal? We will not have a car.

i would check out the Holiday Inn. I heard they had free Shuttle service to the pier & airport. I'm not sure if that has changed or not. Try giving the a call.

I just checked on my Roll Call for November out of Boston & one of the passengers got information from Embassy Suites at Logan Airport. They supply Airport Transportation, Free shuttle to the Subway, their concierge can arrange transportation to the Cruiseport for around $10-$15 pp. (not sure if that has increased or not) The number she listed was 1-800-Hiltons.

Hope this helps!

Hi all!

Since you want to do some sightseeing I recommend a hotel in Back Bay or near Faneuil Hall . You can find a good deal on these hotels at Hotwire or Priceline . Do not pick a hotel just because it may have a shuttle & you are in the boonies & spend more for transportation. We have usually lucked out with either the Sheraton or the Hilton in Back Bay by using Priceline . For sightseeing take the hop on hop off trolley or walk the freedom trail.

Check out the East Coast departures forum. This is a regularly asked question.

And for the record, due to location, we don't normally recommend the hotels that offer Park and Cruise deals. They aren't near any of the tourist stuff and can be in some out of the way areas, and no where near the port.

I agree in not recommending places that offer park and cruise. Locations are not ideal.

I just checked on my Roll Call for November out of Boston & one of the passengers got information from Embassy Suites at Logan Airport. They supply Airport Transportation, Free shuttle to the Subway, their concierge can arrange transportation to the Cruiseport for around $10-$15 pp. (not sure if that has increased or not) The number she listed was 1-800-Hiltons.

Hope this helps!

Just FYI.....

No concierge necessary for transportation arranagment to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. A taxi from airport or a hotel in Fanueil Hall area costs about $10 - $15 depending upon traffic. If you have two people, it costs less to take a taxi than for a couple to pay per person for cruise line or per person arranged transport.

Hope this helps!

We are big Embassy Suites fans. We stayed at the one by the airport. Horrible location -- not close to anything.

Would never stay there again.

Since you want to do some sightseeing I recommend a hotel in Back Bay or near Faneuil Hall . You can find a good deal on these hotels at Hotwire or Priceline . Do not pick a hotel just because it may have a shuttle & you are in the boonies & spend more for transportation. We have usually lucked out with either the Sheraton or the Hilton in Back Bay by using Priceline . For sightseeing take the hop on hop off trolley or walk the freedom trail.

Good suggestion - if part of your trip is to see Boston, it makes sense to pay a bit more for a hotel in the area you want to see. Boston is a wonderful walking city.

You are getting good feedback here. Don't book a "fringe" hotel unless you absolutely have to.

Please provide the exact dates you would need a hotel, number of people, budget, and any other special requirements. Prepaying a hotel on Hotwire or Priceline is often the best way to go. I prefer Hotwire because it is often possible to make an educated guess as to what hotel it will be.

Don't delay in getting this arranged. Fall is peak season in Boston with the college activities, sporting events, and fall foliage.

Can you manage your luggage? The Silver Line to South Station and beyond is a free ride from the airport that is no worse than a rental car shuttle. Once at South Station you can transfer to the subway or get a cab to your hotel for a much reduced cost.

. I prefer Hotwire because it is often possible to make an educated guess as to what hotel it will be.

Also if you go to bidding for travel.com it will tell you what hotels you are likely to get . I have visited Boston a lot ( Both kids went to school there & one stayed ) and I have never paid more than $160 using priceline or hotwire for a downtown hotel.

Try Cruise critics sister company =Jetsetter

We scored the Boston Harbor Hotel for D.D. @ under $200 a night

That's a great price for a lovely hotel.

There is so much to see and do in Boston it's a shame to stay in a remote, inaccessible location. Stay in a place where you can walk or take a quick taxi or "T" (subway) and see some of the many wonderful attractions around Boston. It is not a huge city and really is quite easy to see.

For anyone coming to Boston May/June keep in mind all the colleges and universities we have here. They ALL have graduations and the hotels and restaurants are booked solid during that time period.

We stayed at the Midtown. Very reasonable price, within walking distance of all the wonderful and historic sights and places in Boston. Safe area, even for two women going out at night. The decor and amenities were middle-of-the-road. Not pretty but clean and well-operated.

Depends what you want. We wanted to spend all day and evening exploring the wonderful core of Boston on foot, and a safe, quiet, clean place to drop into bed at night. The Midtown delivered that for us.

Thank you all for the suggestions! It is so helpful, especially never having been to Boston before.

The dates we would need a hotel are September 24 and 25. The one thing we know for sure we want to do is walk the Freedom Trail.

So it's sounding like it's better to find a hotel closer to the sites than the Cruise Terminal?

Park Plaza Hotel, Arlington Street, is an older less expensive hotel near everything - very reasonable - probably about $175 per night. Not fancy, but perfectly adequate and comfortable, and not much more expensive than something at the airport or near the cruise terminal which would make it very difficult to see the city.

Thank you all for the suggestions! It is so helpful, especially never having been to Boston before.

The dates we would need a hotel are September 24 and 25. The one thing we know for sure we want to do is walk the Freedom Trail.

So it's sounding like it's better to find a hotel closer to the sites than the Cruise Terminal?

Actually, the cruise terminal is in the Waterfront/Convention Center area and at this time only has 4* hotels and is convenient enough to the sites. We always recommend any hotel on Hotwire in that area that has a reasonable price. What we're not recommending are the hotels in fringe areas like Dorchester, Bayside, Quincy, or Logan Airport and beyond.

Sep 24 & 25 are weekdays nights so prices are higher. The best deal I'm seeing is a 3.5* hotel on Hotwire in the Boston Common/Theater District area for $175 plus tax that is highly likely to be the Park Plaza, but could be the Doubletree or the Marriott Courtyard Downtown. My husband stayed at all three of these hotels this winter due to bad weather. There were pluses and minuses to all three for him, but they were all clean and comfortable. I actually bid twice on a hotel of this exact description on Hotwire and got the Park Plaza for him.

For a B & B Inn/hotel on the edge of Beacon Hill, check out the John Jeffries House.

Edited by 138east

I haven't read the responses so I apologize if this is repeated.

Several years ago a friend and I stayed in Boston at the Omni. LOVED IT!!! It's a bit pricy but you do not need a car. It's right in the middle of historic Boston -- just steps from the Freedom Trail -- and you can easily walk to all the sites that you more than likely would like to see while in Boston.

I haven't read the responses so I apologize if this is repeated.

Several years ago a friend and I stayed in Boston at the Omni. LOVED IT!!! It's a bit pricy but you do not need a car. It's right in the middle of historic Boston -- just steps from the Freedom Trail -- and you can easily walk to all the sites that you more than likely would like to see while in Boston.

I was going to suggest investigating the OMNI Parker House Hotel. Historic and once a favorite of John F. Kennedy for dinner. :) It has been maintained and it not 'cookie cutter'. Be sure to designate your room requirements as they are not all the same. I know a number of cruisers who found that hotel perectly adequate. I would not suggest getting a car if you stay here. You can walk plenty and taxis are readily available. I think the "T" (public transport) has a stop at Haymarket.