Princess Men's Formal Night Dress Poll

Times Prince

Men: On Princess Formal Nights What do I actually wear to the Main Dining Room?  

514 members have voted

1. 1. Men: On Princess Formal Nights What do I actually wear to the Main Dining Room?

• I wear a tuxedo to the main dining room (MDR).
    • I wear a suit and tie to the MDR
    • I have worn either a tuxedo or a suit/tie to the MDR
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with a tie to the MDR
    • I wear a military dress uniform (thanks for serving!)
    • I wear formal ethnic/national/religious dress (e.g. Scottish Kilt, Islamic clothing)
    • I wear a sport coat/slacks with open collar or turtleneck to the MDR
    • I do NOT wear a coat/tie and have NEVER been queried about dress code by the Maitre'D
    • I do NOT wear a coat/tie and HAVE been queried about dress code or been turned away by the Maitre'D
    • I do not go to the MDR on Formal Nights, but dress per guidelines
    • I do not go to the MDR on Formal Nights, and do not dress per guidelines

The number of questions about what men should or can wear on Formal nights is increasing. In both 2009 and 2011 I conducted polls here on Cruise Critic about what men ACTUALLY WEAR on Princess' Formal Nights.

The intent of this anonymous poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Princess Cruises.

This poll should:

- Only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.

- count one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)

- enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted as the poll is anonymous.

Previous results in 2011 with 587 respondents last showed 81.5% of the men wear clothes per the Princess guidelines for formal nights, with an additional 9.1% wearing sport coat AND tie, for a whopping 90.6% of men wearing clothes per the guidelines to the Main Dining Room in the spirit of the evening.

Let's see if those numbers have changed in 2014.

Bob

Edited by Times Prince

The number of questions about what men should or can wear on Formal nights is increasing. In both 2009 and 2011 I conducted polls here on Cruise Critic about what men ACTUALLY WEAR on Princess' Formal Nights.

The intent of this anonymous poll is to see what the real statistics may be for a sample of Cruise Critic members who have sailed on Princess Cruises.

This poll should:

- Only show what the man actually wears. This is not a "what should be allowed" poll.

- count one person = one vote (not who can post more comments supporting a position)

- enable all Cruise Critic members to stand up and be counted as the poll is anonymous.

Previous results in 2011 with 587 respondents last showed 81.5% of the men wear clothes per the Princess guidelines for formal nights, with an additional 9.1% wearing sport coat AND tie, for a whopping 90.6% of men wearing clothes to the Main Dining Room in the spirit of the evening.

Let's see if those numbers have changed in 2014.

Bob

Personally, I wish that 100% of men wore clothes to the Main Dining Room. We usually go to Crown Grill. Will now have to change to MDR on formal nights.:D:eek::D

I use to wear a suit and tie for formal nights. I do not mind dressing for the occasion and purchased a tux before our last cruise! ;) My DW has always dress in appropriate evening attire and now I have joined her. :D (For our last cruise, I also purchased a strand of pearls for her since we were celebrating our 51st Anniversary!) Can't wait for our next cruise even though it will be around 17 months due to the cost and it's the quickest we could get booked in a suite on a "28 DAY HAWAII, TAHITIA & SOUTH PACIFIC CRUISE".

Remember to "Dress to the Nines! ;)

Edited by RetiredNTraveling

I wear a suit and tie. If I owned a tux I would wear that. But I don't want to rent a tux.

I just bought a new suit to wear on formal nights. But I bought it one size too small. Now I have reason to lose weight before my next cruise or I bought a suit I can't wear.

Why no selection for those wearing a long sleeve shirt and tie as permitted by Princess? When will there be a poll on why women are NOT required to wear clothes set out in the guidelines and why are they never discussed?

Except for our Panama cruise where I brought a suit, I've always rented a tux & DW has brought cocktail dresses. Renting has saved us luggage space & we love dressing up. golfb4cruzing, everyone is entitled to their own opinion & I respect that but a good meal should take a bit of time. Life is short, enjoy it while you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be taking first cruise (Alaska) in June, I'll go as far as sport jacket and tie, but Formal Night is not enough reason for me to purchase a suit, let alone a tux... Even for our 30th which is the first formal night. We're going to relax and see scenery, not to be fancy.

Jim

I wear a suit and tie. If I owned a tux I would wear that. But I don't want to rent a tux.

I just bought a new suit to wear on formal nights. But I bought it one size too small. Now I have reason to lose weight before my next cruise or I bought a suit I can't wear.

Me as well. I'm not renting a tux for a cruise.

Now for your diet (as I'm a workout/diet junky), about 10 weeks prior to the cruise cut as many (read that as all) simple carbs (sugar) from your diet--what you add to your food items and what is already added. Some foods will be intolerable, but it is for a short time. have one cheat meal per week.

Have no carbs beyond dark green veggies after 7 pm.

Add in some (or more) cardio work (biking/running, walking is NOT cardio) for approx 20 to 30 mins 5 days a week.

Also do a food diary for 3 weeks prior to the start of the cycle I mentioned so you know exactly what you're eating and cut all calories back to 2/3rds what you were eating (along with as few simple carbs as possible).

Fat melts off you like a popsicle in Georgia during an August heatwave doing what I said.

Derek

My DW purchased me a Tux about 15 cruises ago, so the price per wear is pretty low now. Still fits and looks good. I could wear my Mess Dress (retired USAF) but, I leave that to the Active Duty folks - however, I might feel obligated should we sail on a military holiday. My DW dresses nice, so I should too - and I'm always proud to be seen with her!

It's difficult to answer with the way they are written. There are about 5 that apply. He has worn a Tux and a suit, he has worn a sports jacket and we currently don't dress formal and eat in a specialty restaurant

The pole wants to know what you do currently, not what was done in the past.

Edited by MSN-Travelers

The option I've chosen on my cruises doesn't fit the choices. I either wear my tuxedo or else I wear a sports coat with tie and dress slacks. I've chosen the latter on our Alaskan cruises and on last month's 5-night Ruby cruise that had just one formal night.

The survey doesn't apply to me. Depending upon the itinerary and embarkation port (fly or drive) I have worn a tux, suit and tie or sport cost and tie. I have also brought none of the above and ate in the HC or a specialty restaurant. I will continue to do any of those options on future cruises. I have seen people with just a long sleeve or short sleeve shirt in anytime dining on formal nights but I choose to wear at least a sport coat and tie. You can carry a sport coat on the plane if you fly so no big deal in my mind. That is the way I usually travelled when I was working, even if I was wearing jeans, a polo shirt and sneakers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Wouldn't that fall under one of the last two options of the survey?

I gave that some thought but to me that meant when we do go, we follow...but we never go to the MDR. The wife is out once or twice a week getting dined, at the best area restaurants, by drug reps. I owned my own restaurant and honestly cook better than most. So the thrill of MDR is lost on us.