Tips for the Volendam?

samchico

Virgin cruiser here. We'll be on the Volendam's first Alaska sailing of the year next week. I feel like I've researched the cruise, the ship and the excursions to death lol. I'm now just terribly excited :)

For those of you who have traveled on the Volendam before, do you have any tips for a newbie cruiser?

TIA Samantha

There are outside decks on 6 and 5 aft that are rarely used with chairs. Also check the forward decks, if I recall on 6.

I suggest you get a print out of your onboard account every couple of days to check for errors and double charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In 2007 our first Dam cruise was on the MS Volendam. Well, as you can see it got us hooked on cruising.

Biggest tip for cruising Alaska. Every one should have their own binoculars.

Just enjoy and biggest tip is to follow CC and check out previous Volendam Alaska reviews along with the Ports Of Call section of CC.

Edited by aliaschief

There is an open deck above the port Bridge wing that can be accessed through a door on the port side forward of the Gym. The same area can be accessed on the Starboard side, but one has to find it by going through areas of the Spa that maybe one ought not to be (unless one is using the Spa).

While I have sailed on many of the HAL ships, the Volendam is my personal favorite. I was aboard a Vancouver-Fort Lauderdale repositioning cruise in 2001, her Maiden Asia-Pacific Cruise in 2002, and a 2012 Auckland-Sydney-Vancouver cruise. Her decor theme of Flowers greatly appeals to me and her crew and officers on all of my cruises have ranked among the best I have experienced.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise to our 49th State! By itself, the area where you are visiting will be a highlight.

Thanks both :) We'll certainly be looking for quiet spots on the ship. Especially as the cruise is sold out now.

We have one pair of binoculars and hubby has an amazing zoom lens for his SLR (beyond my understanding lol) and so I'm hoping we're covered there.

Thanks both :) We'll certainly be looking for quiet spots on the ship. Especially as the cruise is sold out now.

We have one pair of binoculars and hubby has an amazing zoom lens for his SLR (beyond my understanding lol) and so I'm hoping we're covered there.

You are not. You need 2 pair of binoculars - one for each. Don't care how long the camera lens is - it is not the same.

DON

Check out the lovely ladies room, located between the Explorers Lounge and the upper main Dining Room (on the Upper Promenade Deck).

Have a fabulous cruise on the beautiful Volendam (our favourite!)

Edited by erewhon

One unusual thing about the smaller HAL ships is how on deck 4 you cannot access the Main Dining Room on the lower level from other parts of the ship (i.e. you cannot walk from the bow to aft directly). You can do this on deck 5 (to the upper level of the main ding room).

On the S class ships (the ones slightly smaller than the Volendam) this can be a real pain. Fortunately, the Volendam has mid ship elevators and stairs which aid in getting to the main dining room.

Confused? OK, here is an example. If you are at the Wang Theater or that general area on deck 4 and you want to go to the lower dining area (where anytime dining is), you cannot walk directly between the two, even though they are on the same deck. On the S class ships you would have to walk forward to the bow elevators, take them up one deck to 5, and then walk the entire length of the ship to the aft elevators and then down one deck.

With Volendam's mid-ship elevator bank, you walk aftward to this bank, up one deck, continue walking aft for about a 1/3rd of the ship's lenght, then down one deck. MUCH shorter.

DaveOKC