Husbands of cruise adidicts

Joysman85

I've been thinking about this for a while now! I'm the husband of a beautiful, intelligent, loving, woman, the kindest wife a man could ever have. She is truly my soul mate (and ship mate).

Here's the thing, my DW gets soooo into cruising that it borders on obsessive IMHO ;)

Here's an example on Sunday afternoons around 5:00pm, we watch cruise ships leaving the port on the web cams ;). That's obsessive right?

We lay in bed before we go to sleep and she's reading cruise critic, and as soon as I get interested in a tv show or book, she'll say "listen to what this person did..." That's obsessive right?

I know more about the cruise ship, where the best cabins are, what time we must be at the cruise port, and many other details! Crazy right!

And finally she says check on a B2B for next year and I'm thinking what the heck is B2B, people that speak like that are a little obsessive right!

This is all in fun, But does anyone else have an obsessive cruiser in their family?

So that's what brought me to cruise critic to see if I can get obsessed!

I've been thinking about this for a while now! I'm the husband of a beautiful, intelligent, loving, woman, the kindest wife a man could ever have. She is truly my soul mate (and ship mate).

Here's the thing, my DW gets soooo into cruising that it borders on obsessive IMHO ;)

Here's an example on Sunday afternoons around 5:00pm, we watch cruise ships leaving the port on the web cams ;). That's obsessive right?

We lay in bed before we go to sleep and she's reading cruise critic, and as soon as I get interested in a tv show or book, she'll say "listen to what this person did..." That's obsessive right?

I know more about the cruise ship, where the best cabins are, what time we must be at the cruise port, and many other details! Crazy right!

And finally she says check on a B2B for next year and I'm thinking what the heck is B2B, people that speak like that are a little obsessive right!

This is all in fun, But does anyone else have an obsessive cruiser in their family?

This post made me laugh! Sadly, I think your wife and me are kindred spirits and you sound exactly like my DH. Hang in there, we only get worse :D

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Well you have come to the right place. My DW discovered CC many years ago, and I couldn't have cared less. Now many years later I am the one who is obsessed. We both love to cruise, I just like to do the research. CC is my version of Facebook.

I was working from home today, so i couldn't resist the temptation to watch the sail away of the 4 day folks out of Miami.

Now I'm in bed and had to read this post to my husband. I don't think he'll be signing up anytime soon though!

Welcome! Sounds like you're already a little bit obsessed, too...

It's perfectly safe here. You'll be fine. Heh heh heh, we've got him, folks! There's no escaping now!!:p:D

Seriously, if you're a "planner," you'll plan the best approach to get through a grocery store efficiently (write your list in the order of the aisles), how to get to work quickly (avoid traffic lights, take back roads, etc.) -- and how to plan a vacation, how to pack, etc., etc. Cruising provides a multitude of opportunities for planners: when to book, how to get there, what you want to do onboard, onshore, etc., etc. Sounds like you enjoy researching and desling with the nitty-gritty details ... many of us do ... and many others are happy just to book at whatever price, in whatever cabin, go to whatever destinations, get onboard and hang out by the pool, wander off the ship in the port and grab a cab to the beach ... that's one of the coolest things about cruising, is that there are so many different ways to experience the "same" vacation.

Well I read your post to my husband and he agrees that's me to a "T" :D Welcome to cruise critic I think you're hooked.

Edited by psupa

Yep, that's me! I can't count the number of times I've started a sentence with "So I was reading on CruiseCritic today and ...." My ever-so-patient husband rolls his eyes and pretends to listen!

But he has never complained when something I have learned here benefits us! Like saving $5 bills to cover onboard spending (adds up much faster than saving loose change), or finding a great independent excursion, or a fun group of new friends on a roll call.

Yes, I'm obsessed. And not one bit apologetic!

Generally, someone is always the vacation planner in the family. It could be you, it could be your spouse.

There is a sense of accomplishment (and happiness) in finding ways to save and planning the best vacation.

It might be slightly more female on cruise critic, but for the most part it seems to be pretty evenly split between the sexes. :D

Edited by Coralc

She has been on many many cruises over the years with her girlfriends.

Unfortunately we are constrained by Judy's health, and my part time job. I am a mutuel teller at Gulfstream Park during their live winter meet, and also the Triple Crown and Breeders Cup. So we have to plan our trips around horse races.

So she has all the experience, and I do all the reading. But she schedules the excursions (with my input) and the spa bookings (the ones I can talk her into!).

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Your wife sounds like me and my friends we cruise with, so welcome to the club. Just sit back, listen to her and enjoy!!!

Sounds completely normal to me :D

In our house I go on like that but my husband doesn't really like cruising so he has to listen to me banging on about what my daughter and I will be doing, where we are going, what is happening on the webcams etc and the latest comments on CC :D

Guilty here! I do all the planning and research for our vacations. DW likes it that way.

I do check our roll call 2 -3 times a day.

I do check for price drops 2-3 times a day.

They have these new electronic things called IPADS that let me sit in my recliner and do those wonderful things.

LOL

Yep, yep yep. And the problem is? Although my DH might roll his eyes as well, I know for a fact he loves loves loves the information I get from the wonderful people on these boards, but more importantly, he loves the fact that I book such wonderful holidays. 4 more sleeps :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Last week I got notification that the price of our 2015 cruise had dropped. I was in Italy, with no access to phone. I was desperate... I emailed my DH who was at home with kids.

I had to pull my DH into the process - somewhere he would never choose to be - he's finally accepted the cruising thing, but just wants to show up on sail day for the fun.

He placed the call. Got price drops on both cabins, saving us over $200. :) When I thanked him profusely, he said no big deal - the people at RCL made it very easy for him.

Although he will never be as obsessed as I am, I think this experience made him realize there is a benefit to my madness. :rolleyes:

My wife dragged me on my first cruise back in 2006 so I am the one now that does all the planning and yes, hooks the laptop up to the 55" screen and watches all the ships sailaway, or watches the KLM 747 land at St Martin. I'm the one with 16k posts and joins, starts, or is active in 2 roll calls at once. (2 rolls went beyond 7000 posts) I pick every cruise so far.

Edited by BillOh

Funny thread.

I understand.

My DH loves to cruise but has never looked at Cruisecritic.com

I read, post, print and tell him what I learn.

DH expects the cruise to meet his expectations.

Usually they do, some don't.

Then he'll book a different land or sea trip.

For me "it's complicated".

For him it's spending money for a good time.

Penny

Edited by PinotBlanc

I am the guilty one that does that. I always watch the port everglade webcams and watch peoples you tube videos of cruises and tours of the cruise ports and all the different ships. I think my Dw has logged on her cruise critic account twice if that. she lets me look after it all