No more zumba on pool deck?

ICANTWAITTOCRUISE

Not sure if I am right but last year we were on the Reflection week of 3/30 and this year week of 4/12....I could have sworn there was poolside Zumba every afternoon last year, but didn't see it listed this year!?

Anyone know why or notice this? I was a bit disappointed as I do work out in the mornings but had been practicing up on my Zumba to be able to do it outside at the pool:)!

They had Zumba on our equinox cruise by the pool every day. 4/4 through 4/14. I had read on this board recently that Zumba would not be held on the pool deck anymore, part of the new changes

I really enjoyed listening to the Zumba music

Edited by 4cats4me

Or maybe a result of the change to Canyon Spa?

We were on the Century for a b2b2b in February to early March and there was Zumba often (daily?) on decks 11 & 12. In fact, they got in the way of our walking on the track as they took over a section of the deck 12 track. :eek:

We will be on the Reflection on Saturday for 16 nights, so I'll look for it on the schedule and report back when I return if not before then.

Kathy

I thought it would just be a matter of time before they charged for it since it is extrememly popular. On our TA on Eclipse, it was offered twice/day usually in the lounge. As we reached the ports of call and warmer weather, it was offered once per day by the pool.

I thought it would just be a matter of time before they charged for it since it is extrememly popular. .

Considering that I wonder when they will start charging for the shows in the theater? :eek:

🌅🚢🇺🇸

Off the Infinity last week also no free Zumba. They had it once a day thru Canyon Spa and you had to pay.:(

How much is the Canyon spa charging for Zumba? I feel that the Zumba classes presented by the Activities staff was a lot of fun. With the cut backs in staff, I suppose the "certified Zumba teachers" were let go. The Canyon spa is a separate company and, I bet, pays Celebrity either a flat rate or a percentage.

How much is the Canyon spa charging for Zumba? I feel that the Zumba classes presented by the Activities staff was a lot of fun. With the cut backs in staff, I suppose the "certified Zumba teachers" were let go. The Canyon spa is a separate company and, I bet, pays Celebrity either a flat rate or a percentage.

I have a friend who is a "certified Zumba instructor" and she has looked into doing it on a cruise line. Many cruise lines (not sure what Celebrity does) just pays for her cabin and nothing else. If you think of it it is a great deal, a week of free cruising for doing two hours of Zumba (which she loves) a day.

Edited by NLH Arizona

I am a Zumba Instructor.

To my knowledge, Celebrity has done one of two things in the past.

1. They have hired Zumba instructors for a specific cruise. The compensation was outstanding...cruise for the instructor and one guest, airfare for instructor and guest, one night's hotel stay for instructor and guest. Usually, this package is offered for longer cruises. I've seen the requests posted for TA's and other multiday, especially multi-Sea Day cruises.

2. They have hired someone to the activities staff that has a Zumba license in addition to other qualifications. They serve a 6 month contract on board, like most of the cruise staff. They may also have responsibilities that are beyond teaching the Zumba class. I haven't seen postings like this since last year.

On Connie, for our recent spring break cruise, March 31 sailing...they had a staff Zumba instructor teaching pool side. I wonder if, with all the talk of cut backs on staff, if she would still have a job once her current contract is up. It could be that Zumba would hit and miss if Celebrity is making changes.

I really hope that they continue to offer Zumba. While I didn't love the fact that Zumba was something of a spectator sport while on the pool deck...I couldn't imagine doing it in the fitness center. It would be way too crowded and way to difficult to see the instructor...and frankly, I didn't care for the ambiance in the fitness center. At least there was plenty of room and a stage for the instructor on the pool deck...and great atmosphere...even with all the people watching.

It was offered in the mornings on Sea Days and everyday in the afternoons.

Given the incredibly loud volume when they have zumba on the pool deck, how could they charge for it...would they have spotters on the deck above looking down? We saw them use the auditorium for zumba...are they going to stop people from entering that room without paying? Mysterious....

I tell you, on the next drydock, each ship will have the cabin bathroom doors replaced with one that has a card key lock. You can buy the bathroom package for $11 a day....or just pay "on demand" at $5 a use. Don't worry, one use will be included in your cabin charge.

Edited by ghstudio

Given the incredibly loud volume when they have zumba on the pool deck, how could they charge for it...would they have spotters on the deck above looking down? We saw them use the auditorium for zumba...are they going to stop people from entering that room without paying? Mysterious....

I tell you, on the next drydock, each ship will have the cabin bathroom doors replaced with one that has a card key lock. You can buy the bathroom package for $11 a day....or just pay "on demand" at $5 a use. Don't worry, one use will be included in your cabin charge.

:D:D:D hey, don't give them ideas.

On my Eclipse cruise Zumba was my saving grace - after the yummy food that I was eating. I'll be extremely disappointed if I find that now I have to pay. :mad: Tell ya what - if they do then I'll bring some Zumba CDs and my laptop and I'll set it on a chair and Zumba away at the pool deck by my lonesome self - if you see me - come join in!

On my Eclipse cruise Zumba was my saving grace - after the yummy food that I was eating. I'll be extremely disappointed if I find that now I have to pay. :mad: Tell ya what - if they do then I'll bring some Zumba CDs and my laptop and I'll set it on a chair and Zumba away at the pool deck by my lonesome self - if you see me - come join in!

You'll have to use your headphones, because of those that will complain that there is music at the pool!!

Wow, while I thought had been moved to the fitness center, I didn't realize that meant there was a charge for it! I was just disappointed because I think it is fun on the pool deck!

I do believe one day early in the week they had intro to zumba on the deck but I am pretty sure that was the only time it was there.

We thought the Zumba classes were much better when they had them up in the sky lounge.

Air conditioning, and plenty of room for the participants to move around freely without the gawking spectators.

As someone remarked, when they have it at the pool it becomes more of a spectator sport.

Now it is likely to be more like the other exercise classes for which they limit participation and charge a fee.

I am a Zumba Instructor.

On Connie, for our recent spring break cruise, March 31 sailing...they had a staff Zumba instructor teaching pool side. I wonder if, with all the talk of cut backs on staff, if she would still have a job once her current contract is up. It could be that Zumba would hit and miss if Celebrity is making changes.

I really hope that they continue to offer Zumba. While I didn't love the fact that Zumba was something of a spectator sport while on the pool deck...I couldn't imagine doing it in the fitness center. It would be way too crowded and way to difficult to see the instructor...and frankly, I didn't care for the ambiance in the fitness center. At least there was plenty of room and a stage for the instructor on the pool deck...and great atmosphere...even with all the people watching.

It was offered in the mornings on Sea Days and everyday in the afternoons.

We were also on Connie and enjoyed watching the Zumba classed as we were on the jogging/walking track.

It was great to see people working out in a fun enjoyable way. It was quite popular.

If it is true that there will now be a fee for Zumba it will be another example of penny wise pound foolish for the new and improved Celebrity.:rolleyes:

I understand with Canyon Ranch now being the spa operators , there are going to be changes.

Seriously though does every change have to be another way of squeezing another dime out of us ?

I suspect the answer is self-evident. :mad:

I don't know how they could stop you...but there are signs all over the pool deck that say "no exercise." It's crazy...but it's true. I was paying attention because I was looking to see if there was a place anywhere where I might be able to flop out a yoga mat and do yoga on my own on a future cruise, because I didn't want to pay to attend a class...that, and I wanted to be able to do it whenever I wanted to...so I found it very interesting to see those "no exercise" signs all over.

Wow, while I thought had been moved to the fitness center, I didn't realize that meant there was a charge for it! I was just disappointed because I think it is fun on the pool deck!

I do believe one day early in the week they had intro to zumba on the deck but I am pretty sure that was the only time it was there.

Has Celebrity said that they will be charging for Zumba, if so I must have missed it. I've read some speculating that it will be a for a fee activity, but has anyone asked Celebrity.

We were also on Connie and enjoyed watching the Zumba classed as we were on the jogging/walking track.

It was great to see people working out in a fun enjoyable way. It was quite popular.

If it is true that there will now be a fee for Zumba it will be another example of penny wise pound foolish for the new and improved Celebrity.:rolleyes:

I understand with Canyon Ranch now being the spa operators , there are going to be changes.

Seriously though does every change have to be another way of squeezing another dime out of us ?

I suspect the answer is self-evident. :mad:

I was annoyed at the idea of the spectator sport before I read about how the pool deck Zumba influenced an overweight gym-shy woman to give it a try. She had been watching the classes and seeing all the fun...and seeing how the lack of coordination of some participants wasn't an issue...and how the lack of ability to "do" as the instructor was doing also wasn't an issue. Movement was the issue. Having fun. She finally got up and tried it and had so much fun.

When she got home, she looked for a Zumba class and started regularly going and started losing weight and feeling better about herself.

When I read this, I realized that Zumba was really a perfect pool side activity. Put on a show for everyone and let them see how much fun you are having...inspire someone.

Has Celebrity said that they will be charging for Zumba, if so I must have missed it. I've read some speculating that it will be a for a fee activity, but has anyone asked Celebrity.

If they were to try to hold class in the fitness center on Connie, they would have to charge a fee to limit participants because the floor in there is SO SMALL. And I can't imagine how they could control that because the floor is in the middle of all the machines. How do you limit attendance?

It's like they would need a completely separate studio.

On Eclipse in January the class was held in Sky Lounge... Others seeking a quiet lounge were really surprised as was the computer class in the adjoining conference room who had problems hearing the instructor.

On Eclipse in January the class was held in Sky Lounge... Others seeking a quiet lounge were really surprised as was the computer class in the adjoining conference room who had problems hearing the instructor.

Mom did Zumba in the Sky Lounge or the equivalent on whatever S class ship she was on. I was glad that it wasn't in the Reflections lounge on Connie....the dance floor there has big seams and there are lights in the floor. The pool deck was much smoother...less risk of ankle injury.

If they were to try to hold class in the fitness center on Connie, they would have to charge a fee to limit participants because the floor in there is SO SMALL. And I can't imagine how they could control that because the floor is in the middle of all the machines. How do you limit attendance?

Are they definitely holding the class in the fitness center?