Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ Part 2

Host Kat

hello,

Anyone know if the 2nd bookstore on 17th is still with us?

In the strip plaza across the street from Ross/Staples/Dollar Tree.

I will be staying in the area pre-cruise in the next month..I have always found great books to read-and-leave on the boat.

Thank you

Anita

That's the beginning of a 3 day weekend - probably the most expensive weekend in January. For suites check Gallery One ($266 on TripAdvisor) and Residence Inn on the Intracoastal ($279 on TripAdvisor). Embassy Suites is over $300.

Aubrey, Marriott Beach Place and W hotel also have suites, if you want to be right across the street from the beach. Rates will be high for those in January though. Otherwise, Gallery One and Residence Inn are great, with lots of restaurants you can walk to.

hello,

Anyone know if the 2nd bookstore on 17th is still with us?

In the strip plaza across the street from Ross/Staples/Dollar Tree.

I will be staying in the area pre-cruise in the next month..I have always found great books to read-and-leave on the boat.

Thank you

Anita

That was called "Well Read", owned by the lovely Donna, and it closed.:(

If you have a car, my favorite used book store is Big Apple Books in north Ft Lauderdale on N Federal Hwy.

Hello, we will be in Fort Lauderdale and then Orlando for one week, from Dec.28 to Jan 4. I need to be connected to the Internet even when on the road, last year I got a rental phone together with the car, but it was a bit expensive. Is there a place where I can rent a Mi-fi (mobile router) or a phone, and maybe preorder it online? And if you have suggestions for what to do on last year Eve in FL it will be appreciated.

Hello, we will be in Fort Lauderdale and then Orlando for one week, from Dec.28 to Jan 4. I need to be connected to the Internet even when on the road, last year I got a rental phone together with the car, but it was a bit expensive. Is there a place where I can rent a Mi-fi (mobile router) or a phone, and maybe preorder it online? And if you have suggestions for what to do on last year Eve in FL it will be appreciated.

Sorry, no idea about the phone rentals.

There is a New Year's Eve party downtown. Details might show up soon on this Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DowntownFortLauderdale/

Here are some places you can go at the beach:

http://myfortlauderdalebeach.com/my-ftlb-blog/new-years-eve/

Please define expensive?

Do you have a GSM Cellular phone that is not locked to a carrier? if so, you might consider simply purchasing a SIM card from a carrier in the US when you land.

What cellular company do you have in Italy? Does it have a program to let you connect here in the US? When I visited Italy last year, my T-Mobile phone would connect everywhere and I had unlimited 3G data. My plan at home was about $60 per month, including texting. If I wanted to make a voice call in Italy, it was $0.20 per minute. Well worth it when I needed it.

thank you Sharon!

algebralovr, expensive was 80 $ for one week. I Have an unlocked phone, and a prepaid sim for calls from abroad. I only need internet access, i have found online a At&t sim with 3gb data in 90 days at 49 €, or tmobile 1gb in 30 days for 29 € but i need to buy or rent a mobile router.

The international option of my italian sim has a daily cost of 5 € for the first 20Mb, 10 € for additional 80mb. I can buy a mobile router and a data sim for same amount or even less...

Inviato dal mio SM-G900F utilizzando Tapatalk

thank you Sharon!

algebralovr, expensive was 80 $ for one week. I Have an unlocked phone, and a prepaid sim for calls from abroad. I only need internet access, i have found online a At&t sim with 3gb data in 90 days at 49 €, or tmobile 1gb in 30 days for 29 € but i need to buy or rent a mobile router.

The international option of my italian sim has a daily cost of 5 € for the first 20Mb, 10 € for additional 80mb. I can buy a mobile router and a data sim for same amount or even less...

Inviato dal mio SM-G900F utilizzando Tapatalk

You might look on eBay for a mobile broadband router, since the cheapest I see is about $50 plus data from T-Mobile. Cricket wireless might have one, but i think you'd need to visit a store to get one from them. If you can do what you need to from a smartphone, rather than tethering, a sim card from wal-mart might be the easiest.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

This is our first time to sail out of Port Everglades. How much time should we allow to get to the airport? We will disembark on February 7th from the Celebrity Silhouette. There are two other ships scheduled in port that day. Would it be best to park in a garage there and drive to the airport or line up for a taxi? One of us is driving and one flying, so either is possible. Is the park'n go lot a possibility? Is their pick-up prompt and on demand or regularly scheduled?

Of the available garages, which is closest to where Celebrity docks? Is it possible to get the car from the garage and return to pick up the other passenger and luggage from the ship or is access limited to shuttles and/or taxis for security purposes?

Thanks so much for helping us explore these possibilities.

This is our first time to sail out of Port Everglades. How much time should we allow to get to the airport? We will disembark on February 7th from the Celebrity Silhouette. There are two other ships scheduled in port that day. Would it be best to park in a garage there and drive to the airport or line up for a taxi? One of us is driving and one flying, so either is possible. Is the park'n go lot a possibility? Is their pick-up prompt and on demand or regularly scheduled?

Of the available garages, which is closest to where Celebrity docks? Is it possible to get the car from the garage and return to pick up the other passenger and luggage from the ship or is access limited to shuttles and/or taxis for security purposes?

Thanks so much for helping us explore these possibilities.

It takes less than 10 minutes to get to the airport. You'll see the parking garage Midport Garage across the street and a half block away from the terminal. Yes, cars have access to pick up passengers, but the private pickup area is separated from the commercial pickup area. You can walk to the pickup area together, then the driver can cross the street and go in the garage.

I've used Park N Go. You have to wait for a shuttle, as each one only holds about 10 people with luggage, but they have several and they keep coming. If you use Park N Go, allow an extra 30 minutes just in case. They drive you directly to your car.

Hi! Looking for a park & stay in ft lauderdale for an 8 night cruise April 29. All suggestions appreciated! We have a long ride down, so just comfortable beds & breakfasts if possible. Thanks

Springhill Suites might still offer the free long term parking package with shuttle. Here are some other options...

http://www.parkingstay.com/p/ft-lauderdale.html

At the Embassy Suites in Ft. Lauderdale, is there an airport shuttle? I seem to recall last I stayed there 2 years ago we got one, but I see no reference to it on their site. I read in this thread that they have a paid port shuttle, but I don't see reference to the airport shuttle.

Anybody know if the wine store and grocery store hours for Dec 24,25 near the Hyatt Place 17th St?

Does the wine store just sell wine or other liquor products?

Total Wine and Spirits :)

You should call the store for hours.

954-828-9463

Anybody know if the wine store and grocery store hours for Dec 24,25 near the Hyatt Place 17th St?

Does the wine store just sell wine or other liquor products?

Total Wine and Spirits :)

You should call the store for hours.

954-828-9463

thank you for their phone number.

Dec 24 -- open 8am-11pm

dec 25 -- closed

Could someone suggest a hotel for me?

We are taking our toddler on her first vacation, so I'm looking for ease and convenience. I'd like a hotel with a Walgreens or similar very close by as well as a family friendly place for dinner. Bonus points if there is something fun for the toddler (playground?). Breakfast included would also be helpful. (Ideally no more than $300 in early Dec.)

Also, this is probably a stupid question, but taxi drivers are accustomed to folks traveling with a car seat, right? We will tip extra for the wait.

Last time we were in the area (out of Fort Lauderdale) we stayed at one of the houses on bythebeaches.com. A house is always better than a hotel, and with parking, just rent a car.

Okay, so it's going to rain heavy tomorrow (when we arrive) and Saturday (for boarding - ugh) -- and so now I need to know if there are places for dinner near the Hilton Marina close enough to walk to in the rain? I think our original plan of walking to that shopping district is out. Just casual dinner, nothing fancy, but not McDonalds either.

Okay, so it's going to rain heavy tomorrow (when we arrive) and Saturday (for boarding - ugh) -- and so now I need to know if there are places for dinner near the Hilton Marina close enough to walk to in the rain? I think our original plan of walking to that shopping district is out. Just casual dinner, nothing fancy, but not McDonalds either.

There is a pan-Asian restaurant Nanking in the hotel. The food is good, so as long as you don't expect much from the service it's fine. You don't have to dress up there...country club casual to dinner wear is what you'll see.

The next closest places are about a block or two away at the Quay, so bring your brolly:

Bravo Italiano (table service, inexpensive to moderate)

Pei Wei, Shula Burger, Chipotle (all counter service)

Boatyard is also in that center, but it is expensive.