Marina - Deluxe Ocean View (C) - what is it like?

WouterC

We're still researching our cruise to the Baltics for next year.

We're considering an Ocean View cabin instead of a Balcony, so I'd like to know what those are like on the Marina. Seems to be one of the few ships with a real picture window instead of a porthole.

Especially: how is the view?

Can you see clearly, or does the window get dirty?

Are those views obstructed?

Pictures or videos are also much appreciated!

We're still researching our cruise to the Baltics for next year.

We're considering an Ocean View cabin instead of a Balcony, so I'd like to know what those are like on the Marina. Seems to be one of the few ships with a real picture window instead of a porthole.

Especially: how is the view?

Can you see clearly, or does the window get dirty?

Are those views obstructed?

Pictures or videos are also much appreciated!

oceania%2Bmarina%2B017.jpg

There is a floor to ceiling window, similar to a sliding glass door, except that it does not open in any way, and this causes the cabin to seem very bright and sunny by day.

The view is not obstructed in the conventional sense, but on the Marina only, there is a Juliet style balcony outside the lower portion of that window.

022534.jpg

Marina1.jpg

The Ocean View Cabins are located on Deck 7 and may be seen fairly easily here, at the center of the ship, and just above the lifeboats. The floor of Deck 7 is located some sixty feet above sea level, so there isn't very much sea spray unless the weather is very severe; that said, the windows are washed from the outside, quite regularly and they are always playing catch up to keep them immaculate.

Hope that this helped.

Enjoy your cruise!

The pool is not heated, and often the "hot tubs" are not too warm.

Don't know where you read "heated pool"

Well... I read it here: http://www.oceaniacruises.com/ships/marina/lifestyle/entertainment.aspx

"With a large heated pool and three whirlpool spas, there is always room for a refreshing dip in the pool, poolside relaxation, or a soothing spa experience."

The pool is not heated, and often the "hot tubs" are not too warm.

Don't know where you read "heated pool"

Lou

the pools are heated

Our friend was in swimming when we were north of Norway in the Arctic circle on Insignia

Thanks a lot for this!

Other question: I read the pool is heated, but can the pool area be covered in case of bad weather?

125121.jpg

The main pool area is sheltered completely around its' perimeter but does not have a retractable glass roof in the style of the current crop of Holland America Ships. HAL adopted the Magrodome idea with great enthusiasm when it swallowed the Home Lines whole in the late 1980's.

oceanicpool.jpgoceanicpool4.jpg

We had an Oceanview C for our Marina Baltic cruise in June 2011 and it was very lovely and worked out great for us. I knew that with that itinerary and weather, I never would use a veranda, so we saved some cruise dollars which we used instead on a fabulous two-day private tour (just four) in St. Petersburg plus extra time in both Copenhagen and Stockholm (both expensive cities) at each end.

The picture window is huge and always kept clean. There absolutely is no obstruction at all.

Also the location is very convenient for the dinner, the evening show and disembarkation at ports.

Enjoy your cruise!

125121.jpg

The main pool area is sheltered completely around its' perimeter but does not have a retractable glass roof in the style of the current crop of Holland America Ships. HAL adopted the Magrodome idea with great enthusiasm when it swallowed the Home Lines whole in the late 1980's.

oceanicpool.jpgoceanicpool4.jpg

Looking at those pictures I am even more thrilled to currently be on Regatta in Hamilton Bermuda.

*SNIP* I knew that with that itinerary and weather, I never would use a veranda, so we saved some cruise dollars which we used instead on a fabulous two-day private tour (just four) in St. Petersburg plus extra time in both Copenhagen and Stockholm (both expensive cities) at each end.*SNIP*

That's exactly what we were thinking. Great to know it worked out for you.

That's exactly what we were thinking. Great to know it worked out for you.

If the oceanview cabin is available, I would suggest booking it as these are not only limited in number but among the most popular cabins.

If the oceanview cabin is available, I would suggest booking it as these are not only limited in number but among the most popular cabins.

Good point, Paulchili. There are so few that indeed they book up very fast.

We were on the Marina for the March 26th Tahitian Isles cruise in cabin 7070 and are happy to report that the windows are no longer obstructed by the useless railings. Also, they remained free and clean during the ten day cruise. As it was a "tender intensive" cruise the view was even better when in port. I have attached a couple of pictures to illustrate the point. If you look closely, you can see where they cut away the bars. Let me know, if there are any questions.

noF5Fk

noF2WT

noHhFh

Or

2014 Tahiti 356

2014 Tahiti 364

2014 Tahiti 444

Enjoy!

Edited by gui888

I'm really happy to see the railings are gone; we have a C GTY for our NY/London cruise in a few weeks, and I would prefer to get that category even over getting a free upgrade to a balcony.

Given your somewhat cautious nature (thanks, Mom!), I'm surprised that Vertigo isn't a concern without the railings-

070615.jpg I would be fine sitting down, but standing close to a floor to ceiling window like that.....would just not be my thing. :o

Oh, well, you will simply have another good excuse to concentrate on Betsy!

Have a great trip, Pal, sorry that we missed you.

I'm OK as long as there is something solid under me, there is something I can touch for reference to my balance, and there is a barrier trust between me and the drop. The trust part is difficult to achieve; the higher it is (like 100 stories up) the less I trust and the more I fear. I should be OK on Marina, but I stayed 10' from the rail at the Grand Canyon :o.