using cell on ship before leaving the home port?

Harooni

i have sprint and no international roaming, so i shouldnt be charged however i heard something about being charged extra for being on the ship itself? is that correct , even before sailing off from baltimore?

Edited by Harooni

worried because here another poster says this.

"

lovetocruise444

One thing you might not be aware of -

If the ship is in port (even in Miami) and you use your phone you could be charged from the ship if the ships antenae (sp?) is the one that picks up. I used my phone from the ship but while in the states and got charges from Carnival. They told me that you must physically leave the ship to not get charged by them"

Better get it on writing I saw something about being able to use your cell while at sea True my provider honored it but still got the ship charges Not the way I was led to believe at all

who do they charge us or the cell carrier then you get billed?

surely people here must be using their cell phones all the time after boarding to let fmaily know you are on board safely and what about workers around the docks? wouldnt they have an issue getting charged for being on and off the ships?

The ship will have it's tower turned off while in port. Was just on a 21 day Caribbean cruise. Ship had it's tower turned off outside of FLL, as well as in the port, and in St Thomas and San Juan. As parts of the US, your cell will be fine there as well.

worried because here another poster says this.

"

lovetocruise444

One thing you might not be aware of -

If the ship is in port (even in Miami) and you use your phone you could be charged from the ship if the ships antenae (sp?) is the one that picks up. I used my phone from the ship but while in the states and got charges from Carnival. They told me that you must physically leave the ship to not get charged by them"

How can the ship's tower know you are on the ship, or 5 feet away on the dock? Having trouble believing that one...:D

Edited by CruiserBruce

How can the ship's tower know you are on the ship, or 5 feet away on the dock? Having trouble believing that one...:D

i dont know, but if the cell picks up the ships tower instead of the carriers ,that is possible but if like you say they turn them off when docking,. i really dont know.

maybe some ships turn them off and some dont?:confused:

When in doubt look at your cell phone and it should tell you.

yes i think thats the best thing as i read other threads ,just make sure your phone has the carrier name and not the marine tower from ship.

thank you all for the help.

I have consistently used my cell phone on board the ship before sailing (Ft. Lauderdale) and have never been charged. We sail Princess and Celebrity, and twice on Carnival. Once we sail away, I turn my phone off and store it in the safe. Again, no extra charges were incurred. Once you leave your home port area though, prepare to be charged.

I had read somewhere that part of the determination of when a ship turns on or off its cellular service is to prevent people on shore (the local citizens) from accidently accessing it instead of their normal shore-based service.

Ships are required to turn off their cell towers when in a U.S. port. Cell phone technology is such that a cell phone connects to the tower with the strongest signal. If the ship left its tower on in port, everyone on the pier or driving by or in a nearby office building would connect to the ship. That cannot be allowed. Ships turn off their towers always in port.

We've always used our cell phones in various home ports before sailing (and after returning) and have never had expensive ship charges. This was from LA, San Diego, Ft. Lauderdale, Galveston and Miami.

Just to be safe, we stop calling when the ship sails, although we have heard the ship tower is not on until a few miles out.