Carnival vs Royal Caribbean?

kwazi07

They are not charging for a specialty hamburger. It's a service charge in a service restaurant. You may have not noticed, but Guys is not a service restaurant.

Call it what you want. The point is that Carnival is NOT charging for a better burger but RCCL is.

total garbage, but once your mind is made up, no changing it. Shouldn't be judging something you haven't been a part of for 7 years

Wow. How tacky of you to be calling someone's opinion "garbage". Do you have no respect for others??

Must be some clandestine Carnival employees working the boards today.

OP, the biggest difference is the ship and crowd control on Royal. Both are in the stratosphere. The layout and looks through the Royal ships are noticable right away. The layout of deck 11, from the pool areas to the bistro are just spacious an non crammed.

Then there's the service. You will find people just killing you with kindness and efficiency.

Then there's the entertainment. It makes Carnivals look like high school stuff. In fact, Carnival now uses their passengers for many shows; the stuff that used to be afternoon entertainment is now the main act at night.

Food is subjective. That all depends on hat you like and what you order. But the dining rooms on Royal blow Carnival out of the water.

The rest you may find on par, with each line excelling at their respective something, but that line has been widening ever since the scalbacks of the prices and the offerings of Carnival. Those looking solely at price are finding it. But you can certainly splurge on Carnival should you choose through accommodations. The only problem is, all you get is a bigger room and nothing more.

Enjoy!

Ha. What makes you think that Carnival employees are commenting on here??? It sounds like you don't like Carnival and especially John Heald.

The Carnival v. Royal Caribbean differences really depend on the ships that you have sailed or are sailing. Both are large fleets with diverse ships in size in itinerary. Comparing, say, the Carnival Fantasy to Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas is in no way comparing apples to apples - nor is comparing Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas to the Carnival Breeze.

Therefore, I took the liberty of creeping your cruise profile in your signature. I see that you have been on the Carnival Paradise and that you are sailing Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas.

I haven't been on either, so I can't give you first-hand comparisons.

Enchantment of the Seas is 81,000 gross tons after an expansion in 2005 (larger than Carnival Paradise at 70,360 gross tons). It was planned for all Vision class ships to be expanded (including Grandeur which I have sailed), but it turned out to be costly, and they instead built larger ships with the Voyager and Freedom classes (and now Oasis class). So this ship should feel newer than the Carnival Paradise. Also, as others have mentioned, decor is much more subdued and elegant, rather than the flashy, Vegas-like Carnival style.

Having just sailed the Carnival Breeze, personally, I thought that service on Carnival (perhaps just the Breeze) was lacking in comparison to what I have experienced on other cruise lines, Royal Caribbean included. It typically wasn't a problem with the staff being unfriendly on Carnival (though I did meet a few rude employees), but rather the staff being stretched too thin. I think you will always hear conflicting opinions, but I believe that service on Royal Caribbean is better than on Carnival.

Enchantment of the Seas actually doesn't even have a Johnny Rocket's (the for-charge burger joint that other people have mentioned here), just like Carnival Paradise doesn't have a Guy's Burger Joint! So don't worry about the hamburger fuss because that doesn't even apply to either of your cruises. Enchantment of the Seas does have a Ben & Jerry's which is for-charge ice cream and Cafe Latte-tudes which is for-charge coffee. But they also have complimentary soft serve. Personally, I've never spent the money on ice cream or coffee and have never felt deprived.

The demographic of passengers on board really depends on the cruise and time of year that you sail. Since you're sailing in August on a 3 or 4-night cruise, the demographic onboard will be younger than say if you were sailing a 10-night cruise in February. That goes with any cruise line.

Also, it's important to note than on Enchantment, you will not have the Broadway shows Hairspray or Chicago - those are on Oasis/Allure of the Seas only. Enchantment has stage shows, but they also bring in outside entertainment like jugglers or comedians.

*Oh, another note - the rock wall on Royal Caribbean ships is at no additional charge.

Edited by LittleMissMagic

You do read the posts on this board dont you?? This is tame compared to all the other stuff spread around here.

What if they don't read posts on this board? What kind of prize should tame comments like this receive?

No surprise, Carnival and Royal Caribbean fighting...

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

I say they both are even but different.. Flow rider on royal Carib and water slide on carnival!! Food close. I like carnival better,, i was on the allure on RCL. U couldnt get in comedy club u needed tickets weeks before sailing date. The show Chicago was to be broadway quality. Not even close. But what cruise ship is broadway quality?? I say none.. Just cruise them both and see how u like it compared to carnival. I will go for itinerary over cruise line anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It looks like OP will be on Grandeur; discussing upcharge options on Oasis is a bit of a moot point.

Here is one in favor of RCI; on Carnival you pay for desserts at the coffee bar. On Royal desserts are free at the coffee location (Cafe Lattetudes); no purchase of coffee necessary.

Of course differences between ships, classes, itineraries, entertainment, food, etc. can go on and on and on and on, but I actually don't feel very nickle and dimed on RCI. I find some of the stuff they sell to be stupid (as mentioned, $3 for popcorn is ridiculous). So I skip the popcorn, and eat the free steaks instead. Upcharge garbage like pay for popcorn and candy stores exist for incremental profits and are not fundamental to the cruise experience and therefore are easily avoided.

The Carnival v. Royal Caribbean differences really depend on the ships that you have sailed or are sailing. Both are large fleets with diverse ships in size in itinerary. Comparing, say, the Carnival Fantasy to Royal Caribbean's Allure of the Seas is in no way comparing apples to apples - nor is comparing Royal Caribbean's Majesty of the Seas to the Carnival Breeze.

Therefore, I took the liberty of creeping your cruise profile in your signature. I see that you have been on the Carnival Paradise and that you are sailing Royal Caribbean's Enchantment of the Seas.

I haven't been on either, so I can't give you first-hand comparisons.

Enchantment of the Seas is 81,000 gross tons after an expansion in 2005 (larger than Carnival Paradise at 70,360 gross tons). It was planned for all Vision class ships to be expanded (including Grandeur which I have sailed), but it turned out to be costly, and they instead built larger ships with the Voyager and Freedom classes (and now Oasis class). So this ship should feel newer than the Carnival Paradise. Also, as others have mentioned, decor is much more subdued and elegant, rather than the flashy, Vegas-like Carnival style.

Having just sailed the Carnival Breeze, personally, I thought that service on Carnival (perhaps just the Breeze) was lacking in comparison to what I have experienced on other cruise lines, Royal Caribbean included. It typically wasn't a problem with the staff being unfriendly on Carnival (though I did meet a few rude employees), but rather the staff being stretched too thin. I think you will always hear conflicting opinions, but I believe that service on Royal Caribbean is better than on Carnival.

Enchantment of the Seas actually doesn't even have a Johnny Rocket's (the for-charge burger joint that other people have mentioned here), just like Carnival Paradise doesn't have a Guy's Burger Joint! So don't worry about the hamburger fuss because that doesn't even apply to either of your cruises. Enchantment of the Seas does have a Ben & Jerry's which is for-charge ice cream and Cafe Latte-tudes which is for-charge coffee. But they also have complimentary soft serve. Personally, I've never spent the money on ice cream or coffee and have never felt deprived.

The demographic of passengers on board really depends on the cruise and time of year that you sail. Since you're sailing in August on a 3 or 4-night cruise, the demographic onboard will be younger than say if you were sailing a 10-night cruise in February. That goes with any cruise line.

Also, it's important to note than on Enchantment, you will not have the Broadway shows Hairspray or Chicago - those are on Oasis/Allure of the Seas only. Enchantment has stage shows, but they also bring in outside entertainment like jugglers or comedians.

*Oh, another note - the rock wall on Royal Caribbean ships is at no additional charge.

Thanks for the best comparison! Do you think I will enjoy Enchantment more than Paradise? Also, how does the Carnival Legend compare to the Enchantment?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Call it what you want. The point is that Carnival is NOT charging for a better burger but RCCL is.

Although I see the point is moot (and I hardly think JR was a better burger; wasn't impressed), the service charge is for the food being served to you. You are not paying for food, unless you get a Coke or a shake.

Having done both, the only thing I can say is that they are like comparing Cedar Point with Kings Island where both have rides, serve food and have lots of people. Sometimes the people are friendly, sometimes they aren't. The same with Carnival vs. RCI. It depends on the crowd.

We found the crew to be more friendly on Carnival. As for the ship's decor, that's a matter of opinion. I prefer the glitz on Carnival over the wood paneling on RCI.

Go with an open mind and see for yourself which you like better.

total garbage, but once your mind is made up, no changing it. Shouldn't be judging something you haven't been a part of for 7 years

I am sorry that you think my opinion is garbage. I am ok with my opinion. Are you this hard on everyone?

A little kindness goes a long way.

You can state your opinion on anything you want, but do you really think a 7 yr old experience is relevant now.

I say they both are even but different.. Flow rider on royal Carib and water slide on carnival!! Food close. I like carnival better,, i was on the allure on RCL. U couldnt get in comedy club u needed tickets weeks before sailing date. The show Chicago was to be broadway quality. Not even close. But what cruise ship is broadway quality?? I say none.. Just cruise them both and see how u like it compared to carnival. I will go for itinerary over cruise line anyway. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

you can easily get tickets to anything on the ship the first day you get on.

you can easily get tickets to anything on the ship the first day you get on.

I wonder what all those people in the standby line were doing there if tickets were readily available. This was for the aqua theater show, comedy club, and the two mains shows in the big theater (hairspray ad some other one with acrobats, cirque de soleit thing). Don't get get me wrong the externtainment on Oasis was def. better. I just did not like the fact I had to plan it out so far - like a Disney vacation .

My husband and I have cruised Carnival for all of our cruises together, but before we met I went on several RCCL cruises. While I think Carnival has better food in MDR and at the buffet, I do NOT think they have the better service. In fact, after our next cruise on Magic we are going to book with RCCL and see how we feel about switching cruise lines. The Magic was a beautiful ship and we will always have fun on a cruise, but we were less than thrilled with service, and with the layout of the ship. Hope that helps!

I wonder what all those people in the standby line were doing there if tickets were readily available. This was for the aqua theater show, comedy club, and the two mains shows in the big theater (hairspray ad some other one with acrobats, cirque de soleit thing). Don't get get me wrong the externtainment on Oasis was def. better. I just did not like the fact I had to plan it out so far - like a Disney vacation .

Initially, I wasn't to thrilled about pre-reserving everything, specially considering that we booked a few weeks prior to sailing and most of the best times were already sold out. But once we got on the ship, we were able to move our reservations to more desirable times. Everything magically opened up, both for shows and alternative restaurants.

Now that I've been there and done it, I can see how having to pre-reserve takes away some of the spontaneity, but I also see how it's also advantageous to have a pre reserved time. You know that you're getting a seat. It's been more than once when I've walked into the theater on a Carnival ship and I had to walk away because there were no seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks for the best comparison! Do you think I will enjoy Enchantment more than Paradise? Also, how does the Carnival Legend compare to the Enchantment?

Well, the Carnival Legend is larger than Enchantment of the Seas at 88,000 gross tons. Legend has very recently been refurbished (March 2014) and has all of the "Funship 2.0" amenities - Guy's Burger Joint, Red Frog Pub + Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Cantina + Tequila Bar, LED movie screen by the pool, Punchliner Comedy Club, and the new stage shows which feature a smaller cast and LED backdrop, rather than moving sets (many consider the changes to the stage shows to be a downgrade).

The Carnival Legend also has, in my opinion, a much more interesting itinerary - Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Grand Cayman.

If the cost to switch cruises is reasonable and extra vacation time is no issue, personally, I would choose the Carnival Legend over Enchantment of the Seas.

What is your sail date? I was checking August cruises out of Tampa/Port Canaveral and was surprised to see that there were actually rather good deals on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, as well as 3 and 4-night Disney Dream.

It is August 4th. While the Legend is 650 more expensive than Enchantment, we don't have to pay for hotel or food. We only live 45 mins away from Tampa.

What is your sail date? I was checking August cruises out of Tampa/Port Canaveral and was surprised to see that there were actually rather good deals on Royal Caribbean's Freedom of the Seas, as well as 3 and 4-night Disney Dream.

We also have five family members, so it adds up quickly.

Well, the Carnival Legend is larger than Enchantment of the Seas at 88,000 gross tons. Legend has very recently been refurbished (March 2014) and has all of the "Funship 2.0" amenities - Guy's Burger Joint, Red Frog Pub + Rum Bar, Blue Iguana Cantina + Tequila Bar, LED movie screen by the pool, Punchliner Comedy Club, and the new stage shows which feature a smaller cast and LED backdrop, rather than moving sets (many consider the changes to the stage shows to be a downgrade).

The Carnival Legend also has, in my opinion, a much more interesting itinerary - Cozumel, Mahogany Bay, Belize, and Grand Cayman.

If the cost to switch cruises is reasonable and extra vacation time is no issue, personally, I would choose the Carnival Legend over Enchantment of the Seas.

Just a quick note - we just got off the Legend April 20, and while it did get some of the 2.0 upgrades in the Feb drydock, it did not get all the ones listed above. There is no Guy's Burgers, no Blue Iguana Cantina, and (thankfully) no big movie screen on deck. It did get a new waterslide (Green Thunder), waterworks, Red Frog Pub, Cherry on Top, punchliner, new stage shows, and Bonsai Sushi.

We absolutely LOVED our Legend cruise - the ship was wonderful, crew very accommodating, and the ports were excellent. It never felt crowded (the Spirit class - Legend is a part of - has the best tonnage to passenger ratio of all the Carnival ships).

Tampa was also a very easy port to embark/disembark.

Just a quick note - we just got off the Legend April 20, and while it did get some of the 2.0 upgrades in the Feb drydock, it did not get all the ones listed above. There is no Guy's Burgers, no Blue Iguana Cantina, and (thankfully) no big movie screen on deck. It did get a new waterslide (Green Thunder), waterworks, Red Frog Pub, Cherry on Top, punchliner, new stage shows, and Bonsai Sushi.

We absolutely LOVED our Legend cruise - the ship was wonderful, crew very accommodating, and the ports were excellent. It never felt crowded (the Spirit class - Legend is a part of - has the best tonnage to passenger ratio of all the Carnival ships).

Tampa was also a very easy port to embark/disembark.

Oh, great - thanks for clarifying! And I find it funny that Guy's Burgers is still not an issue!

You can easily go to Entertainment Place when you board and reserve your shows right there. My sister surprised us at port and had no reservations and was able to get them to go with us. :) I do not think this is well known.

Edited by janetz

You can state your opinion on anything you want, but do you really think a 7 yr old experience is relevant now.

Actually, I see everyone's past experiences as relevant. The original poster did not ask for opinions of only those who sailed recently. RCI used to be my favorite cruise line.

Edited by Taters