Help Me With Order Of Importance Please

This is our first RCI (Brilliance) cruise and we're going with another couple. I need to put together a "What to do immediately after boarding" list. I have the following things...can anyone add to this list or give me hints as to where and when I'm doing them?

1) I have to go to the service desk (don't exactly know who or where this is) per RCI's instructions to remind them of a deadly allergy I have.

2) We now have late seating for dinner and I think we will want to move that to My Time and make sure that we have a table for 4. Correct we go to the dinning room and do this? Anything else we need to know on this?

3) Go to spa to see if we want any spa packages.

4) Sign up for any port tours since we've not done that yet.

We don't want drink packages so no needs to do anything there.

Anything else and thanks for the help.

Sounds like you've got it covered! Don't forget to make time to relax and enjoy the beginning of a great vacation!

Customer service is on Deck 4. Yes...you'll need to go to the dining room to make your changes, if MTD is available.

Unless you KNOW you want to do something in the spa, I'd skip that...they do have "port day" specials, if you want to save some money (they aren't advertised in advance), and don't mind missing some of your port time.

If you haven't, research your ports....you may find you don't need to pay for a tour or excursion to do what interests you! Lots of things are easy to DIY!

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']Yep....we really limit our excursions and do a lot of hiking around on our own. We really enjoy that a lot more.

I wonder if we should try to change to My Time Dining online prior to boarding the ship. Something we'll have to discuss with the other couple.[/QUOTE]

I would. MTD gets waitlisted quite often.

I would wait on spa packages. Towards the end of the cruise they have specials ($99 for a pick 3 package or $129 for all 6 treatments). I've never had any trouble booking them, even on the same day that I wanted to go. In fact last cruise, I was able to book for 3 people all at the same time!!!!

We always like to book the spa appointment shortly after we board. I see others have posted that it's easy to book at other times, so maybe this isn't as important. It depends on whether you are particular about a specific day time, such as an appointment on the afternoon of Formal Night. And there is usually a Welcome Aboard special.

You need to add: Sit, relax, and enjoy a beverage to celebrate the first day of your cruise vacation.

I wouldn't put it before #1, but I'd put it pretty high up in the list. That allergy thing might be more important. ;) You'll want to go to Guest Services, Deck 4, Starboard side in the Centrum across from the elevators. #2, 3, and 4 can wait a few hours.

[quote name='nonnie&dgd']I would. MTD gets waitlisted quite often.[/QUOTE]

If you want MTD request the change ASAP - I wouldn't wait until I am on board for that. Just be aware that your gratuities are paid in advance (at final payment or when selected if after final payment) with a confirmed selection. But if you do it on board you would go to the MTD desk on deck 5 outside of the Minstrel Dining Room to make those arrangements.

I also agree - unless there is a particular spa selection you want - to wait until you board to see what spa specials are offered. You can also make a preferred selection then as well although time options may be limited.

Port tours made in advance are charged at the time of selection. If you change your mind, as long as you cancel three days prior to sailing they will be credited directly to your credit card. Cancellations can be made after that and up to 24 hours in advance, at which time the cost will be credited to your SeaPass account as an OBC or can be applied to a different excursion. Edited by leaveitallbehind

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']
1) I have to go to the service desk (don't exactly know who or where this is) per RCI's instructions to remind them of a deadly allergy I have.

2) We now have late seating for dinner and I think we will want to move that to My Time and make sure that we have a table for 4. Correct we go to the dinning room and do this? Anything else we need to know on this?

[/quote]

Just my .02 but if you have a deadly allergy (I'm assuming you mean a food allergy) I would reconsider switching to MTD. If you keep the set seating, you will have the exact same wait staff each night. Since they'll know you're coming they'll be able to check with the kitchen ahead of time to confirm which menu items you can or can't have that night, and/or can work with the kitchen to have alternate options available. With MTD, you can request the same waiter each night, but it may not be possible, and each time you get a new waiter, you'll be starting from scratch explaining your allergy, asking if a particular dish can be made another way, etc.

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']This is our first RCI (Brilliance) cruise and we're going with another couple. I need to put together a "What to do immediately after boarding" list. I have the following things...can anyone add to this list or give me hints as to where and when I'm doing them?

Anything else and thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

1. Guest services won't be hard to find. Many people go there on embarkation day, so you may have to wait in a bit of a line.

2. Waterbug makes a good point about having the same waiter every night. However, you should also discuss the allergy with the matre'd (sp?) on embarkation day regardless of the seating that you choose. He/she may have you discuss it directly with the chef.

3. Wait until boarding to check out spa packages. There are specials when boarding and even better specials will appear in the daily sheet throughout the week.

4. If you see a shore excursion that interests you, try finding an operator on shore via google with the same excursion. You could save considerable $. However, understand the port of call and the pros and cons of this before booking the excursions. Some ports are good for private excursions or going at it on your own. In other ports, ship tours are the better option.

Thanks everyone...regarding the spa I don't really think we will be getting anything, my husband enjoys checking out the work out area first thing since that is #1 on his list, and typically the spa tour comes along with that.

My allergy is not to any food items...I am allergic to latex and they use balloons in decorations at time onboard which if popped are deadly. (of course I carry epi pens on my person in that event) Upon booking this cruise RCI instructed me to go immediately to the service desk and remind them. They will either discontinue use of balloons on this cruise or tell us the location and route to the location, of balloons so they can be avoided. They will also make sure that all foods onboard will be prepared with non-latex gloves.

[quote name='AZAficionado'][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Sienna"][B][U]You need to add: Sit, relax, and enjoy a beverage to celebrate the first day of your cruise vacation.[/U][/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I wouldn't put it before #1, but I'd put it pretty high up in the list. That allergy thing might be more important. ;) You'll want to go to Guest Services, Deck 4, Starboard side in the Centrum across from the elevators. #2, 3, and 4 can wait a few hours.[/QUOTE]

This is mandatory. :D

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']This is our first RCI (Brilliance) cruise and we're going with another couple. I need to put together a "What to do immediately after boarding" list. I have the following things...can anyone add to this list or give me hints as to where and when I'm doing them?

Anything else and thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]

If weather permits, Windjammer Cafe has seating outside (accessible through Rita's which is beyond the various food stations starboard side).

Found that the Colony Club bar was vacant quite a bit (YMMV) which made for pleasant conversation with friends and new friends.

*Cheese Alert* Study your Compass and inserts and find out when all the 'freebie' raffles are being done. It's not that they are anything of great value.... it's just fun for the cost of zed.

Enjoy this ship! She's a beauty.

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']My allergy is not to any food items...I am allergic to latex and they use balloons in decorations at time onboard which if popped are deadly...[/QUOTE]

Although you have your instructions by RCI on land, do you have something from your doctor stating this to be the fact? I'm just saying that a physician's letter would probably be best in reminding them.

And as stated, enjoy your cruise. Brilliance is fabulous.

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']Yep....we really limit our excursions and do a lot of hiking around on our own. We really enjoy that a lot more.

I wonder if we should try to change to My Time Dining online prior to boarding the ship. Something we'll have to discuss with the other couple.[/QUOTE]

IF you really want MTD, I recommend you do it before you board, however, you will have to pre-pay your gratuities in advance if you do so.

[quote name='waterbug123']Just my .02 but if you have a deadly allergy (I'm assuming you mean a food allergy) I would reconsider switching to MTD. If you keep the set seating, you will have the exact same wait staff each night. Since they'll know you're coming they'll be able to check with the kitchen ahead of time to confirm which menu items you can or can't have that night, and/or can work with the kitchen to have alternate options available. With MTD, you can request the same waiter each night, but it may not be possible, and each time you get a new waiter, you'll be starting from scratch explaining your allergy, asking if a particular dish can be made another way, etc.[/QUOTE]

This is so true. I have a mild seafood allergy and was served Lobster Bisque after informing my waiter for the evening of my allergy. This was on a different cruise line but I doubt I would have had that issue if I had traditional dining.

[quote name='Langley Cruisers']Although you have your instructions by RCI on land, do you have something from your doctor stating this to be the fact? I'm just saying that a physician's letter would probably be best in reminding them.

And as stated, enjoy your cruise. Brilliance is fabulous.[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestion my physician will be happy to send that along with me, and that would be a very wise idea.

Rather than waiting until boarding, do as much of this in advance as possible. No need to spend vacation time dealing with this.

If the allergy is a food allergy, put this in your online profile, and let your waiters know. The people at the customer service desk will not be handling your food or order in any way so there is no advantage to waiting in line to tell them. Although they are very good at handling allergies, and have many hundreds of thousands of customers per year with no problem, if it's a deadly allergy, make sure you have your epi-pen at all times.

Don't wait until you board to book shore excursions. Just get it out of the way, and book online.

[quote name='Sunflower&Scientist']. They will either discontinue use of balloons on this cruise or tell us the location and route to the location, of balloons so they can be avoided. They will also make sure that all foods onboard will be prepared with non-latex gloves.[/QUOTE]

Sunflower & Scientist,
It seems to me that these are issues that should be brought up in advance with the special needs department. I would not wait until boarded to find/instruct specific handling.

If you enjoy fitness classes, get to the gym to sign up early; the spin classes often fill up fast (be aware these are pay classes). Nice opportunity to meet the fitness staff onboard, too. Also, if you attend the spa tour, you can enter a raffle and possibly win free services, or a $$-off coupon towards a service... plus, of course, you can learn about the services they offer.

Brilliance has a BEAUTIFUL (pay) steam room, with heated stone benches, aromatherapy steam rooms, tropical rainforest showers, bowls with ice chips, and floor-to-ceiling windows so you don't miss any beautiful sea views while you're enjoying these amenities. This is not cheap; several years ago it was $79-99 per person for a week, less for a couple (i.e., $149-169 for 2, as I recall). Since there are only 5 benches, they don't sell a lot of packages for the week, maybe 40 total... although sometimes if they haven't sold out, they will offer day rates during the cruise, too.

I wrote a review of my cruise on Brilliance several years ago, you can read it in the link in my sig line below if you're interested. Many things have changed at RCI since then -- no more shipshape dollars/vitality chips for participating in active endeavors, no more chocolates on pillows, etc. -- but you'll get a feel for the ship (even though I didn't do pictures back then).

Also, you can book your own independent excursions if you don't mind doing a little advance research... or even just wander off the ship and negotiate with local taxi drivers for an island tour (depending on where you are) -- read the ports of call boards for ideas and suggestions. RCi has some good excursions, but be prepared to be in a big group, waiting for the slowest in the crowd, for the bus to fill, etc. -- whereas privately arranged tours are more easily customizable, made-to-order for you, etc.

Wow, a deadly LATEX allergy... that must be tough to deal with! I'm sure that many things are handled by latex-gloved hands that we're unaware of... and of course, other cruisers may bring on their own balloons for their own celebrations, over which the cruiseline would have no control! Scary!! It sounds like you're used to dealing with this, though. However, I echo the other people who recommend staying with traditional dining rather than switching to my time, just to be sure that your waiter/headwaiter know about your situation (though yes, I understand it reaches far beyond the dining room).

Have a GREAT cruise. Brilliance is gorgeous, with all that glass and ocean views throughout. The Voyager-class ships tend to be much more inward-facing, with focus on the enclosed Promenade... while Radiance-class ships (like Brilliance) have random comfy chairs around the ship, looking out at all those gorgeous ocean views. You really know you're cruising, even when you're on the (glass) elevators, which look out through glass walls to the sea!!

[quote name='IWORK2CRUISE']Sunflower & Scientist,
It seems to me that these are issues that should be brought up in advance with the special needs department. I would not wait until boarded to find/instruct specific handling.[/quote]

When we booked the cruise this was discussed at length with the booking agent as well as the special needs department. In fact I called 3 times and spoke with the special needs department as I rarely trust the word of one person! I wanted to make sure that everyone I spoke with had the same information. They have all my information, but they said that the safest way to handle things is to talk directly to them once on board. RCI is aware of latex allergy precautions fortunately, as it is a growing issue with those who worked in the health care field. I will need to keep check on board to make sure our steward is not using latex. I'm pretty used to this so am not too greatly concerned.

As for the others that posted...due to the serious nature of this allergy, yes I have a good supply of epi pens that are on a epi belt around my waist or in a holder attached to my leg. The leg holder makes it look like I'm "packing" so I try to avoid wearing it in places where it might be questioned!!!

Empressofpurple thank you for your great information about Brilliance. We are looking forward to becoming familiar with her. It is true that others could bring balloons on board, that is always a concern. Fortunately my husband is great about spotting for me and confronting situations that could harm me while I run the other direction!