Blu on Eclipse

BosoxI

The venue is very nice, the staff is efficient and friendly, but the food itself is pretty standard fare, and I have to wonder if it's any better than the MDR. Several appetizers were different and very good, the sweetbreads being the best. Some salads were also good because in part because they weren't standard fare, and the soups have been excellent every night. But the main course? Very average. My best meals were short ribs and prime ribs. And let me say that I don't order these two dishes except in desperation because nothing else on the menu was even remotely interesting. The desserts were sometimes up and sometimes down, down so much so that on most nights I didn't even bother with them. I am not a picky eater by any stretch, I thrive on offal, but the menu has been quite disappointing. I wonder if the added expense for Aqua is worth it or if I'm better off with a balcony cabin plus a few nights in a specialty restaurant. Something for me to consider for future cruises

We seem to be in the minority on these boards as we are not great fans of Blu. We did not have an AQ or suite on the last cruise ( NYE cruise Dec 2013) and enjoyed the dining room food very much. I will admit that the service is much better in Blu, and added to the fact that we had a few bad service experiences in the dining room.

Food wise, we thought the MDR selection was more varied and there was nothing we ordered that we found to be any lesser quality or taste than Blu.

For our next cruise, the difference between our veranda cabin and an AQ is $1000. That is a lot of $$ for dinner in Blu and the other limited QA amenities, even if it is for 14 nights. (especially as I am not in need of extra points.

For those devotees, I am happy that Celebrity offers the option for AQ/Suite and Blu.

enjoy

M

The venue is very nice, the staff is efficient and friendly, but the food itself is pretty standard fare, and I have to wonder if it's any better than the MDR. Several appetizers were different and very good, the sweetbreads being the best. Some salads were also good because in part because they weren't standard fare, and the soups have been excellent every night. But the main course? Very average. My best meals were short ribs and prime ribs. And let me say that I don't order these two dishes except in desperation because nothing else on the menu was even remotely interesting. The desserts were sometimes up and sometimes down, down so much so that on most nights I didn't even bother with them. I am not a picky eater by any stretch, I thrive on offal, but the menu has been quite disappointing. I wonder if the added expense for Aqua is worth it or if I'm better off with a balcony cabin plus a few nights in a specialty restaurant. Something for me to consider for future cruises

Referring to sweetbreads are you referring to the pancreas?

This past March on te Eclipse in Blu we found that the meatloaf was one of the better entrées. Normally we wouldn't pick that but since we have tried about every thing that has been offered thru the years we decided to try it. I think if you dine in Blu enough it gets to be rather boring, the novelty kind of wears off.

Deserts on any cruise line always appear to be lacking. They look nice but are usually just sweet tasteless nothing. One of the better deserts is the old standard apple pie with ice cream.

Just my opinion that doesn't mean anything.

🌊🚢🇺🇸

We REALLY like Blu and it's NOT just about the food. The service is MUCH better and the ambiance of the room is so much more appealing than the MDR. It's so loud in there that we always find ourselves raising our voices to be heard. Not so in Blu. We also like the lighter sauces in Blu...and they also claim to use less sodium, which I personally believe because I don't have ankle swelling or water retention since switching to AQ for our last several cruises. Is the food THAT much better than the MDR? Probably not. But if you want a quiet dining experience with superior service this is it. We decided after our last cruise that we saw no reason to spend extra in the specialty restaurants as long as we are dining in Blu. Just our opinion, of course. :)

We have taken two cruises on The Eclipse, one in a suite (so ate in Blu for the evening meal and breakfast ) the other in a normal balcony cabin (so ate in the main MDR).

We prefer the main MDR to Blu. We found a more varied menu, the tables were a variety of sizes and were more spaced out.

The service in Blu is very good but not any better than the MDR. The wine waiter was far better in Blu though!

Maybe we were just lucky with our experience, time will tell.

Edited by jomf

We have not travelled in Aqua Class, and would not be inclined to do so for Blu. On our Asia cruise we were in a suite, and so had access to Blu on a space available basis. DH is a picky eater, plus has dietary restrictions, and looking at the various Blu menus there was very little to nothing each day that he would or could order for dinner. We have always enjoyed the food in the MDR, and like traditional late dining with a large table, versus "anytime" dining on our own. If we want to dine on our own we go to one of the specialty dining venues.

I don't order these two dishes except in desperation because nothing else on the menu was even remotely interesting. The desserts were sometimes up and sometimes down, down so much so that on most nights I didn't even bother with them. I am not a picky eater by any stretch, I thrive on offal, but the menu has been quite disappointing.

Interesting comments as many of the complaints on here about Blu seem to be focused on the "weird" food - too much "game" etc. I can't in my wildest dreams imagine an offal centric menu addressing that issue (hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a "nose to tail" type specialty restaurant with artisan Charcuterie etc.?!). I personally found the food in Blu on Reflection to be very good and the variety reasonably interesting considering they have to appeal to a mass market. Duck was outstanding both nights it was served - better than I've paid a lot for in some restaurants on land. Our next cruise will be in Aqua again unless I can afford a suite (doubtful).

We are not fans of Blu, either. The tables are too close together, the food is good...but not great, the service was fine...not really better than the MDR. It just never seemed to "click" for us. It felt like a mediocre restaurant trying to disguise itself as an upscale venue, but it never lived up to all the hype.

Most people will disagree and I respect their opinions. Blu just never worked for us.

Aqua class is our favorite if we are going to be in a balcony cabin. However, I have eaten in Blu enough to wish for some menu expansion or tweaking.

My husband loves Blu and every unusual item on the menu. I love the service and ambience but the menu could use some examination. There was at least one dish I could order and more hits than misses but it limited in options I would choose.

We agree with Hulamoon.....we cruise enough in aqua that the menu in Blu has become less than exciting. Each cruise, we try the MDR and each time, we find that it's just too big with too much activity, no personal service, hard to find a sommelier and so on. We like Blu for it's quieter atmosphere and a bit more service. The food is better seasoned (except for the occasional cruise where they apparently have only one seasoning in the kitchen...salt)...but the quality is the same as the MDR. We like the 2 tops and being able to strike up a conversation with different folks, if they are interested in talking, of course. Finally, it's nice not to have to search for a table and eat luke warm eggs in the buffet for breakfast..and you get fresh orange juice which is worth something. No the coffee is no better than the MDR or buffet, but we used to go to the elite breakfast for some good coffee..now as elite plus, we can get it in Blu as a perk.

I do wish they would make some changes to the menus.

We planned to do our next cruise on celebrity in a regular cabin...but we are on M-class ships so for the extra space, we would book Concierge class. Pricing these days on some/many cruises has C2 at $50 more than C3 and A2 at the same price as a C2. With the captain's club upgrade, we start at paying the C3 price and for only $50 more, we book an A1 cabin. That's a no brainer...if we tire of blu for dinner, we'll just eat in the MDR and still enjoy blu for breakfasts on on formal nights when I can just wear smart casual.

We agree with Hulamoon.....we cruise enough in aqua that the menu in Blu has become less than exciting. Each cruise, we try the MDR and each time, we find that it's just too big with too much activity, no personal service, hard to find a sommelier and so on. We like Blu for it's quieter atmosphere and a bit more service. The food is better seasoned (except for the occasional cruise where they apparently have only one seasoning in the kitchen...salt)...but the quality is the same as the MDR. We like the 2 tops and being able to strike up a conversation with different folks, if they are interested in talking, of course. Finally, it's nice not to have to search for a table and eat luke warm eggs in the buffet for breakfast..and you get fresh orange juice which is worth something. No the coffee is no better than the MDR or buffet, but we used to go to the elite breakfast for some good coffee..now as elite plus, we can get it in Blu as a perk.

I do wish they would make some changes to the menus.

We planned to do our next cruise on celebrity in a regular cabin...but we are on M-class ships so for the extra space, we would book Concierge class. Pricing these days on some/many cruises has C2 at $50 more than C3 and A2 at the same price as a C2. With the captain's club upgrade, we start at paying the C3 price and for only $50 more, we book an A1 cabin. That's a no brainer...if we tire of blu for dinner, we'll just eat in the MDR and still enjoy blu for breakfasts on on formal nights when I can just wear smart casual.

Interesting quotes from everyone. Have cruised Solstice x2 in AQ. Leaving in a few weeks on Eclipse again in AQ. Does anyone have a current menu?

Thx

Carole

Blu is not for everyone, thank goodness, or AQ would carry a REALLY heavy price. The statement that the tables are too close together is just not true, UNLESS, you want to sit that close. There are several two-tops that are in the room that aren't at all close to other tables, we have always been able to sit at one of those. Also there is no question that the service is better than the MDR, just for the sheer fact that the wait staff doesn't have 1) as many tables and 2) to run to the main kitchen to obtain food. They are much more present in the room than MDR waiters. The food we found to be varied and interesting and were able to obtain the MDR regular items anytime we wanted (my DH has escargot most nights on our last cruise in AQ). The ambiance is wonderful and enough reason to book it for us.....but to each his own and as I said at the beginning thank goodness not everyone wants to eat there!!!:D:)

Blu is not for everyone, thank goodness, or AQ would carry a REALLY heavy price. The statement that the tables are too close together is just not true, UNLESS, you want to sit that close. There are several two-tops that are in the room that aren't at all close to other tables. Also there is no question that the service is better than the MDR, just for the sheer fact that the wait staff doesn't have 1) as many tables and 2) to run to the main kitchen to obtain food. They are much more present in the room than MDR waiters. The food we found to be varied and interesting and were able to obtain the MDR regular items anytime we wanted (my DH has escargot most nights on our last cruise in AQ). The ambiance is wonderful and enough reason to book it for us.....but to each his own and as I said at the beginning thank goodness not everyone wants to eat there!!!:D:)

Blu is best for couples traveling alone it seems. DH and I have not cruised by ourselves since our first cruise on NCL. We have a group of 10-12 people that we travel with and they book cabins all over the ship - sometimes there is 4 of us and most times more. DH and I eat at a 2 top everynight at home lol so we love cruising with friends. We always have early traditional, I make sure our table is in the middle of the dining room - much quieter than Select or under Select because of the low ceiling which amplifies any noise

By the 2nd night the sommelier has our wine poured before we even order, the food is incredible and we really feel that it is much easier for the wait staff in Traditional dining to provide excellent service because everyone is pretty much having the same courses served at the same time. By day three, they know who takes decaf, tea (what flavour). I have looked up at the Select floor and the waiters are flying - serving apps at one table, mains at another etc and that must be hard. I am sure it is the same in Blu. We do not like tables turned all around us and people coming and going. Land based restaraunts have much more space between tables so it doesn't affect us as much. If people in Select look down to the traditional floor they can see how calm it is with just the waiters moving among the tables. Plus the 2 tops are not as close together as they are in Blu

We have checked Blu menus but because we cruise longer but much prefer the 14 day rotation of the menus in the MDR. We do Specialty's for special occasions lol but we are very happy with the MDR especially over the last 3-4 yrs.

Blu is excellent for people that like a subdued dining experience but we have way too much fun and would probably get the boot!

Again as on the other thread - keep booking AQ so our CC fare stays lower! lol

Blu is best for couples traveling alone it seems. DH and I have not cruised by ourselves since our first cruise on NCL. We have a group of 10-12 people that we travel with and they book cabins all over the ship - sometimes there is 4 of us and most times more. DH and I eat at a 2 top everynight at home lol so we love cruising with friends. We always have early traditional, I make sure our table is in the middle of the dining room - much quieter than Select or under Select because of the low ceiling which amplifies any noise

By the 2nd night the sommelier has our wine poured before we even order, the food is incredible and we really feel that it is much easier for the wait staff in Traditional dining to provide excellent service because everyone is pretty much having the same courses served at the same time. By day three, they know who takes decaf, tea (what flavour). I have looked up at the Select floor and the waiters are flying - serving apps at one table, mains at another etc and that must be hard. I am sure it is the same in Blu. We do not like tables turned all around us and people coming and going. Land based restaraunts have much more space between tables so it doesn't affect us as much. If people in Select look down to the traditional floor they can see how calm it is with just the waiters moving among the tables. Plus the 2 tops are not as close together as they are in Blu

We have checked Blu menus but because we cruise longer but much prefer the 14 day rotation of the menus in the MDR. We do Specialty's for special occasions lol but we are very happy with the MDR especially over the last 3-4 yrs.

Blu is excellent for people that like a subdued dining experience but we have way too much fun and would probably get the boot!

Again as on the other thread - keep booking AQ so our CC fare stays lower! lol

I think if I was in a large group I would probably opt for the MDR too.Nice to know we all have options for whatever the circumstances are!!!:D:)

I think if I was in a large group I would probably opt for the MDR too.Nice to know we all have options for whatever the circumstances are!!!:D:)

Totally agree!! I just think people should talk about how Blu works for them rather than disparaging the MDR. It seems like people have to justify their choice of AQ by knocking other options If people like the small intimate setting, anytime dining, smart casual attire and the menu that's great. As long as no one has a problem with us liking a larger table, set dining, formal nights and the MDR I'm cool:D

Edited by Christine Frances

We met so many wonderful couples in Blu on this last cruise! By the end of the cruise we felt like we had met at least 30-40% of the passengers in Blu.

Everyone was so engaging. Out of 10 dinners and 9 breakfasts, we had great conversations most every meal, although I will be the first to admit, a draw for me was to have a bit more flexibility and privacy (lol) we never felt like we had privacy. We are sociable, so we didn't care, but had we wanted to be that "private couple" I really don't think it would be possible due to the proximity of the tables. We noticed many, like us, would request a certain section, so that is why it almost felt like traditional dining with the same wait staff.

I will be the first to admit that I really don't enjoy socializing at breakfast before I've had my coffee, and with all the friendly people, I had to put on my happy face when I really just wanted to still wake up:D

Regarding the food, it is not much different than what I eat here at home, since we already eat a lot of "weird" food, (California). But I don't like most game meats or veal or lamb or lobster, yet I never had a problem finding something satisfying. My favorite was the short ribs and the the risotto. The veggies are very, very fresh, unlike that fare one usually gets in a banquet hall setting

I like the presentation, ambience and service in Blu and hope to be in Blu again in the very near future

I really don't understand those that say there are no private tables in Blu. On the "S" Class ships there are at least 4 tables that are two-tops that are by themselves in the room. We've sat at them nearly every time we've been in Blu, and we go at 7ish, the prime time. They aren't next to the windows but still great tables and very private. If you want to eat privately you can, you just have to look around the room for those tables. BUT don't look too hard because we want to be able to sit there!!!!:D:D:D

I really don't understand those that say there are no private tables in Blu. On the "S" Class ships there are at least 4 tables that are two-tops that are by themselves in the room. We've sat at them nearly every time we've been in Blu, and we go at 7ish, the prime time. They aren't next to the windows but still great tables and very private. If you want to eat privately you can, you just have to look around the room for those tables. BUT don't look too hard because we want to be able to sit there!!!!:D:D:D

Therein lies the problem there are really not many tables that are private - I would be surprised if there are more than 4. I'm pretty sure that I can't remember more than that. My OH is more than happy to talk to the diners on the tables next to us. Personally I would prefer not to (particularly if I am feeling unwell as I was one day on our last cruise) but to sit so close and not make conversation seems rude. We usually eat at about 8.30 and only once was one of the "private" tables available. We chose to use Blu because of the noise of the MDR.

Still there isn't much that Celebrity can do about it. The room is the size it is and I assume cannot easily be increased in size and I doubt that they have any intention of reducing the number of Aqua cabins. I have heard that on Reflection they have actually increased the number but not the size of Blu.

Edited by CABINET

Therein lies the problem there are really not many tables that are private - I would be surprised if there are more than 4. I'm pretty sure that I can't remember more than that. My OH is more than happy to talk to the diners on the tables next to us. Personally I would prefer not to (particularly if I am feeling unwell as I was one day on our last cruise) but to sit so close and not make conversation seems rude. We usually eat at about 8.30 and only once was one of the "private" tables available. We chose to use Blu because of the noise of the MDR.

Still there isn't much that Celebrity can do about it. The room is the size it is and I assume cannot easily be increased in size and I doubt that they have any intention of reducing the number of Aqua cabins. I have heard that on Reflection they have actually increased the number but not the size of Blu.

I think there will be some reduction in the usage of Blu once the new Suite dining room opens. I know MANY suite guests opt for Blu and even though it is based on "availability" to suite guests I know the one time we were lucky enough to be in a suite we never got turned away over a 12 night cruise. Hopefully I'm right and those 4-5 two tops will be more accessible. :)

Allow me to add few more observations. The noise level in Blu is NOT subdued, at times it's virtually impossible to converse. Tables are not that close IMO. Last night the menu in the MDR was far better than that in Blu. And the crayfish (lobster-ha) were so tough s to be inedible and uncuttable, too. Vegetables? You kidding? I had to search for them, eg. my bream with artichokes had one sliver of an artichoke. Other vegetables are so scarce they easily fit under the main item. Very disappointing this trip. As for game, farm raised duck and pheasant are hardly game and incidentally, my wife's pheasant last night surely was chicken.

Edited by BosoxI

Allow me to add few more observations. The noise level in Blu is NOT subdued, at times it's virtually impossible to converse. Tables are not that close IMO. Last night the menu in the MDR was far better than that in Blu. And the crayfish (lobster-ha) were so tough s to be inedible and uncuttable, too. Vegetables? You kidding? I had to search for them, eg. my bream with artichokes had one sliver of an artichoke. Other vegetables are so scarce they easily fit under the main item. Very disappointing this trip. As for game, farm raised duck and pheasant are hardly game and incidentally, my wife's pheasant last night surely was chicken.

If you are not enjoying it then why not opt for Select Dining in the MDR, you should have no problem doing so as so many here have said they've done so when they didn't like what Blu was offering on any given night.

I've only been in Blu on one occasion when it was loud and that was because of a very large group that was told to quiet down as they were disturbing everyone else. But even then it was never so loud that you couldn't talk to your tablemates.....really if you are not happy you CAN opt out....and enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Edited by Gracie115

Wow, too bad about Blu not being satisfactory to the OP. it's not for everyone

Our friends weren't wild about it last year, and we loved it.

But we had plenty of food, plenty of veggies, we asked for extras. We ordered two entrees each on several evenings. The food was all cooked perfectly on the equinox It was never overly loud when we were there, but it wasn't quiet as a pin either. Evidently things differ quite a bit from ship to ship

Hope it improves for the OP

After our last Celebrity cruise in an aqua class, we decided the cost just wasn't worth the extra money. We didn't enjoy the dinner menus and ended up eating elsewhere on quite a few evenings. On our next cruise we have opted for a standard balcony and we will buy the package to eat at the speciality restaurants,

I wonder how recently you were on the Eclipse?

We sailed on the Eclipse in February and also had a not so wonderful experience. (Although, the sommelier was OUTSTANDING!)

We had previously sailed several times on the Solstice , also in Aqua, and the food and service in Blu were both wonderful.

I found the taste of some of the meals I had loved on the Solstice (and this was over a three year period) were eh on the Eclipse. Also, there never seemed to be enough servers so everyone was stressed and running around.

I thought (and still hope) that this was a one off on our cruise.

We're giving it a try this next year so I really hope things improve by then .

I wonder how recently you were on the Eclipse?

We sailed on the Eclipse in February and also had a not so wonderful experience. (Although, the sommelier was OUTSTANDING!)

We had previously sailed several times on the Solstice , also in Aqua, and the food and service in Blu were both wonderful.

I found the taste of some of the meals I had loved on the Solstice (and this was over a three year period) were eh on the Eclipse. Also, there never seemed to be enough servers so everyone was stressed and running around.

I thought (and still hope) that this was a one off on our cruise.

We're giving it a try this next year so I really hope things improve by then .

Was on the Eclipse in Mar. Was told that the servers in Blu are based on 40 paseenger per night, in the MDR it is 24. Being able to serve in Blu is very competitve and a prime area for them as they earn more.

🍻🚢🇺🇸🌅