Dinner in Windjammer

Does the Windjammer serve some or all of the MDR dinner choices? Will they have fish and seafood selections prepared with some flair or just steamed? I prefer the MDR but the kids want the Windjammer. We will be sailing on the Radiance to Alaska in June.

Does the Windjammer serve some or all of the MDR dinner choices? Will they have fish and seafood selections prepared with some flair or just steamed? I prefer the MDR but the kids want the Windjammer. We will be sailing on the Radiance to Alaska in June.

Our experience has been that Windjammer has a couple of the same selections in the MDR that night. We've come to enjoy dinner in Windjammer. Surprisingly, it's quieter and less hectic than the MDR at dinner.

Edited by clarea

There is definitely more selection and variety in Windjammer than in the MDR. WJ has SOME of the MDR offerings plus a multitude of offerings not available in the MDR. You will not however find some items like the roast duck or lobster tails in the 'Jammer.

Windjammer is highly underrated for dinner; I agree it can actually be a nicer setting than MDR. Lights are dimmed, it seems not as loud or busy. Much easier to go on your own schedule.

Our experience has been that Windjammer has a couple of the same selections in the MDR that night. We've come to enjoy dinner in Windjammer. Surprisingly, it's quieter and less hectic than the MDR at dinner.

And sometimes downright pleasant. I didn't take formal wear on Jewel and had a great dinner in the WJ one night. There was table refill service by waiters and actual table cloths.

We are casual cruisers and usually eat in the Windjammer on the ship's formal nights. We have found that some of the selections are the same as in the MDR, but they always have a number of other choices as well. We enjoy the different pace of eating in the Windjammer and the fact that you can mix and match the things you want. You can even use your wine package there when dining! Nothing goes better with a cheeseburger and fries than a nice merlot!

Pete

On our last RC we ended up doing dinner in the WJ and were pleasantly surprised. It was the 2nd formal night, we were really tired, a little too much sun, and didn't feel like changing. It was really quite nice, not at all like breakfast or lunch! I don't think they still do this, but back in 2009 they had linens on the tables, lights were dimmed, and there was someone playing classical guitar. Very attentive servers brought us our drinks. Highly recommend.

WJ might of had 2 of the entrees of the night and at least one of the soups! Maybe feed kids earlier and send them to arcade or kids activity and you could be on MTD. They usually have fish! It looked pretty decent WJ! The video board didn't always match all the offerings MDR and usually the cod on classic was salmon on BOS the last 4 days. The classic chicken dish was excellent wished I found the time last night to have it on the balcony!

Overall I was not so WOWed with the food in WJ or MDR!

We were on the Indy a couple of weeks ago (Noro Cruise). We ate ALL of our dinners (and most lunches) in the Windjammer. My wife doesn't really like the MDR ( I do), so I compromised and ate in the Windjammer exclusively. I especially like Jade as I love Asian food. I found that the lunches were better than the dinners. I found more (better) selections at lunchtime. Yes, there were a few of the MDR selections in there, but nothing that really struck my fancy.

Joe

The only thing I haven't seen in the WJ was Lobster other than that you will find a good selection to choose from in the evening.

We often eat dinner in the WJ. The lobster is NEVER served except for Lobster Bisque. Also Tiger Shrimp are not seen there. But, many of the other MDR menu items are there plus some really good additional items. For instance, recently on the Liberty, one evening the WJ was serving Beef Wellington. I have never seen that in the MDR and it was REALLY GOOD.

Will jump on with the same sentiments as others here with a positive experience in the evening at the Windjammer. Definitely find it less hectic and quieter than the MDR.

Also one variety we've enjoyed on our last two or three cruises in the Windjammer is having a Mongolian grill when offered. You basically build your own stir fry. On one cruise, they offered this using Italian type selections. We really enjoyed it. On another cruise, there was an area that each evening featured Indian dishes and one night British type fare (fish & chips definitely :)). All tasty!

The evening Windjammer experience has been very enjoyable for us.

My last trip on EOS we ate at WJ for dinner every night (except for one night at Portofino's). It was easier as we were sailing with our young children.

We had a great experience. Love the Mongolian BBQ. I had it almost every night!

We were on the Indy a couple of weeks ago (Noro Cruise). We ate ALL of our dinners (and most lunches) in the Windjammer. My wife doesn't really like the MDR ( I do), so I compromised and ate in the Windjammer exclusively. I especially like Jade as I love Asian food. I found that the lunches were better than the dinners. I found more (better) selections at lunchtime. Yes, there were a few of the MDR selections in there, but nothing that really struck my fancy.

Joe

Is Jade available lunch & dinner? Or only dinner? My family loves Asian cuisine so I think we will try it out. (We will be on FOS, which I believe offers Jade)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Is Jade available lunch & dinner? Or only dinner? My family loves Asian cuisine so I think we will try it out. (We will be on FOS, which I believe offers Jade)

The Jade section has a selection of Asian items for both lunch and dinner.

The Jade section has a selection of Asian items for both lunch and dinner.

Thank you! From a post on another thread I thought it might be just dinner. Good to know :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

We have always been MDR people and decided to try the WJ for dinner on our first Med cruise. We loved the fresh selections that were different each night and the antipasto bar they set up by one of the beverage stations.

When we did a b2B three months later on Jewel in the Caribbean, I thought that I shouldn't keep my hopes up for a nice WJ dinner experience. I was pleasantly surprised to see the same quality. Now we are hooked and will eat at least a few nights in the WJ. We still spend time in the MDR dining with friends (order appetizers) but May have an entree in WJ.

Wow, now you guys got me to want to eat a dinner in the Windjammer, so I will eat 6 nights specialty dining and one windjammer, but maybe two windjammer lol

We did one night in the MDR on Allure in January and were disappointed. We split the remainder between specialty dining and the Windjammer and enjoyed the selection and atmosphere. It was the first time in 15 Royal cruises that we ate more than once in the buffet. Go for it. ;)