Mykonos - if they close the port, where will they take us?

lovestx

I realize this is a bit of a crazy question but I'm hoping you long-time cruisers will enjoy the challenge.

In June 2012, we were supposed to visit Mykonos but they closed the port due to high winds (something that I know Mykonos is known for). We were very disappointed but got over it :( The Celebrity Equinox captain took us to Crete instead. The uber planner in me had a hard time with this as I knew nothing about Crete, didn't have a port travel guide with me (too heavy to bring along) and internet was spotty with little CC info to be gleaned about Crete. We pulled together a decent day but not great.

So now we are going back to Mykonos (I hope!) in June. We are also visiting these Greek/Turkey ports (in order): Athens, Santorini, Rhodes, Kusadasi, Mykonos, Chania.

So the question is: if we can't make it into Mykonos again this trip, where would you guess the captain will take us? Perhaps just add a sea day?

It all depends on when the decision is made. Most frequently, as a last minute decision, the only thing they can do is just add a sea day. Substituting another port is not something that can be done spur of the moment.

Sometimes they can do it spur of the moment (as the cruiser experienced first time around), but it depends on availability of space at another port that is within reasonable distance and doesn't put you off track for your next port of call.

It's really difficult to guess. I suppose they could take you to a different port on Crete (maybe Iraklion). Or perhaps somewhere farther south on the coast of Turkey (Bodrum? Or perhaps Antalya -- which is absolutely lovely but the port is far from the town).

It doesn't look like there are any other nearby islands that would be suitable for a larger ship to dock....

On our very first cruise, we could not tender into Delos or Mykonos due to high winds, and instead our ship, Oceania's Nautica, went on to spend a lovely afternoon on the island of Milos. We took a bus to a beautiful beach recommended to us.

I believe we were the first cruise ship to visit there in a very long time. However Nautica is a small ship, only 700 passengers, so perhaps that affects the choices.

Edited by CintiPam

As you turn left out of dock gates there is Also a large department type store with a cafe on the top floor with a great view.

I will stay we did think some of the streets seemed a bit dodgy.

Thanks for all of the helpful responses. I'm guessing that the captain might just take us to Crete a day early since we are only in Souda port from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Would love it if he took us to Heraklion so we could see the ruins there.

Another sea day wouldn't kill us as we only have two full ones on this 12 day cruise.

And cleobella, Mykonos is known to have high winds (something I didn't know until we didn't make it there). Not sure how often the port is closed but you can see from posts on this thread that others have had the same experience. If it happens to you, don't let it ruin your trip. I am sure that you will have an amazing cruise to great ports like we did the last time. For me, it's helpful to know in advance that it could happen to you.

We are going be in Mykonos in early June, how likely is it that these winds will disrupt our day? I'd hate to miss this island..

Late May/early June is the calmest time so, barring unusual weather, you should be OK. The meltemi winds start in mid/late July and they really can make you miss this lovely island.

• 1 month later...
Late May/early June is the calmest time so, barring unusual weather, you should be OK. The meltemi winds start in mid/late July and they really can make you miss this lovely island.

How about September? We were thinking about September in a couple years? Also end of May sounds good. Thanks.

How about September? We were thinking about September in a couple years? Also end of May sounds good. Thanks.

Our missed visit to Delos and Mykonos was in mid-September. The waters are calmer in May and June, but I am certain that the misses are not commonplace then.

I have been there three times ---twice in September and just recently in June. We never had a problem so we are 3 to 0. Now our track record with ports in the Bay of Biscay is another matter!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope everyone isn't stressing over this unnecessarily. Yes, the winds occur sometimes, but ships seem to make the port a high majority of the time. (I've been reading this board nearly daily for years and I'd say there are only a few misses per season reported.