Motion sickness? Should I worry?

Mrs.Gosse

Hi, first time cruiser here. We are doing the Alaska-inside passage in Sept on the Golden Princess. I get motion sick fairly easily, like I even get a bit queasy as a passenger in the front seat just when we are out running errands. It is obviously worse when I am reading while in the car. When I ride a plane I use either Dramamine or Bonine and I always wear my SeaBands. I also wear my SeaBands when we are out running around like I mentioned earlier to keep me from getting nauseous.

I have heard mixed stories about whether or not I will get sick on such a big ship. Last summer we did a boat tour on Lake superior which I would assume would actually be more bumpy then an ocean liner and wore only my SeaBands and I was fine.

Is there really something to getting used to the motion if you are prone to motion sickness or is that for everyone else? We have a suite that is right in the center on deck 9 or 10 (can't remember). I really don't want to take meds if I can help it as they tend to make me drowsy and out of it. ESPECIALLY if I have alcohol and I don't want to have to pass on drinks.

I would love to hear any opinions and personal experiences, especially with those who get motion sick.

My husband swears by meclizine. We get a prescription from our doctor before every trip we take (by water, car or air). He takes two a day (one before bed and one with breakfast). He used to get motion sickness if he wasn't driving a car but now not only can he be a passenger but he can also look at a map! :eek: It is amazing. I know drug stores sell Bonine (the generic equivalent) but we find that we save quite a bit of money by filling the prescription. Oh, I forgot to mention...no sleepiness!

I hope you enjoy your cruise!

Edited by BroncoLvrs

The patch stays in your blood stream for up to three days after you remove it and is the same drugs as the OTC stuff and I am hoping I will need no drugs. I am wondering how likely I am to need anything based on other peoples experiences.

The patch stays in your blood stream for up to three days after you remove it and is the same drugs as the OTC stuff and I am hoping I will need no drugs. I am wondering how likely I am to need anything based on other peoples experiences.

Well as stated Meclizine might be your best bet then if you get motion sickness easily.

I never had problems in cars or other transportation, just smaller boats. I even passed out trying to go down a flight of stairs on one!

When we went on our first cruise, I too worried. I had the sea bands and also the patch for behind the ear for a 4 day. I was a bit queazy but it never got to the point where I needed a patch. Waves on that voyage hit over 15 feet - some rough stuff.

Second cruise, I took both along with again and didn't use any. I have now cruised 9 times and only feel the motion when we got off the ship! It takes me about a week to get my land legs back!!:eek:

We did the inside passage on our first Alaska cruise and there was only one day of wave action, the last day when we were out of the passage and heading to Vancouver.

I would go prepared for anything but try to not use it. A lot of people swear by ginger or apples. You can buy ginger candy and they will also have ginger tea and some candy near the International cafe and Horizon Court if you need it. I think you can also find apples in the buffet as well.

You can get ginger candy almost anywhere, World Market, Trader Joe's. . . Try some now to see if you like it - it seems to come in different forms.

You have also chosen your room wisely. Midship on a somewhat lower level. Good idea!

Maybe some others will have their own ideas of how to calm the tummy. . .

Above all, enjoy your cruise!

My husband doesn't want to take any chances so he takes the meclizine (I forgot to mention that he starts it a day before our trips). He has tried the patch and it didn't work. You may be fine on the ship but don't forget about excursions.

I used Bonine for the first time recently and I was very surprised how "with it" I was and that I felt ZERO motion sickness on the plane!! I have always used Drammamine. I only concerned because the day I got home, my DH took me out right after and we got a drink and I turned into a total ZOMBIE! Now I had, had VERY little sleep over the last two days but I was concerned it was because of the meds. Very often when I take Drammamine I have still felt a little queasy by the end of my flights.

Being on deck 9 or 10 in the center is good....and I think being on the Alaska cruise is a good cruise to start with. When you are looking over the water, keep the eyes moving and look at the horizon.

Some people can desensitize to sea sickness.

I have been sea sick on a fishing boat with 4-5 foot waves but never on a ship. I have sailed in moderate seas, but nothing worse than that.

You may want to get the patch by your dr, but keep in mind some people get side effects from them also.

I cannot wear the patch, it makes me dizzy.

Let us know how the cruise goes for you!

I never had problems in cars or other transportation, just smaller boats. I even passed out trying to go down a flight of stairs on one!

When we went on our first cruise, I too worried. I had the sea bands and also the patch for behind the ear for a 4 day. I was a bit queazy but it never got to the point where I needed a patch. Waves on that voyage hit over 15 feet - some rough stuff.

Second cruise, I took both along with again and didn't use any. I have now cruised 9 times and only feel the motion when we got off the ship! It takes me about a week to get my land legs back!!:eek:

We did the inside passage on our first Alaska cruise and there was only one day of wave action, the last day when we were out of the passage and heading to Vancouver.

I would go prepared for anything but try to not use it. A lot of people swear by ginger or apples. You can buy ginger candy and they will also have ginger tea and some candy near the International cafe and Horizon Court if you need it. I think you can also find apples in the buffet as well.

You can get ginger candy almost anywhere, World Market, Trader Joe's. . . Try some now to see if you like it - it seems to come in different forms.

You have also chosen your room wisely. Midship on a somewhat lower level. Good idea!

Maybe some others will have their own ideas of how to calm the tummy. . .

Above all, enjoy your cruise!

This is very encouraging. Thank you. I had planned on trying the ginger candy it is good to know I can get ginger tea and candy on the ship! I'm very happy to hear that. I felt like the lake cruise we took was going to be a good indicator for me. I am planning on taking something for the whale watching excursion.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

My husband doesn't want to take any chances so he takes the meclizine (I forgot to mention that he starts it a day before our trips). He has tried the patch and it didn't work. You may be fine on the ship but don't forget about excursions.

Thank you. I had thought about our excursions. 2 of them involve boats. Glad to hear I will probably be fine on the ship though. That is my biggest concern.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

I wouldn't worry about motion sickness but would suggest taking meclizine (less expensive generic of Bonine & Daramamine Less Drowsy) to prevent it. The inside passage is usually quite calm but my very motion sickness prone wife always takes it. She takes it at night just in case of any drowsiness caused by this antihistamine.

My wife got motion sickness on a swingset as a kid but with the help of meclizine has enjoyed dozens of cruises and I see no reason why it couldn't be the same for you. :)

Take a Bonine in the morning before you board the ship and then one right before you go to sleep. Continue taking one every night at bedtime. If Bonine makes you drowsy, you'll be sleeping anyway.

I get motion sick very easily - can't do amusement park rides that spin, must ride in the front seat of the car, will get motion sick if the person driving in front of me is swerving a lot, etc.

I've cruised to Alaska 5 times now...I start taking Meclizine before the trip starts (either the night before we fly or the night before we start driving north) and continue to take it each night before bed. I also keep my SeaBands handy. I take ginger gum with me, but have never used it.

Some of our cruises have been pretty calm, others have had a few rough spots. We had one cruise where both my son and I were quite queasy - it was on the first formal night and we laugh when we look at the pictures. I had my SeaBands on but my son didn't want to wear his (teenager!). At dinner, the waiter brought us green apples and they seemed to help a lot, although my teen still couldn't eat his dinner. He finally went back to the cabin and grabbed his SeaBands and laid down for a while and eventually felt well enough to get some pizza for dinner.

I too can get motion sickness and I swear by Bonine, I have been using it for the 20 plus years we have been cruising as well as having used it last fall while touring in Italy with the winding roads in the second seat of a van. I have learned to take it a day or so BEFORE we actually set sail so it is in my system.

Never travel with out and hopefully like us you will find the waters very smooth while sailing in Alaska. We have cruised to Alaska 3 times and only experienced rough seas one day and night after leaving Whitter and crossing over to Glacier Bay.

Enjoy your trip!!:)

I use ginger capsules, and they work well. I don't have serious motion sickness sensitivity, though. Most of the seas will be calm, but there are rough parts. Bring anything and everything, so you're fully prepared. Have fun!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Unfortunately, the answer is it depends. Although the cruise is billed as an Inside Passage cruise, you will actually be in the Pacific Ocean for more than a day between Seattle and Juneau and then another day between Ketchikan and Victoria. It can get pretty rough out there. On our B2B Inside Passage cruises on the Golden in September of 2012, on one cruise it was really rocking and rolling both of those days. We were in a WS which is pretty much mid ships low on Fiesta deck (6) and I needed a SCOP patch both days. The other cruise was not as bad.

I used to have severe motion sickness and wore the SCOP patch for the entire cruise but over the last few years I have only needed to wear the patch when seas have been rough to very rough.

Everyone uses what works best for them individually. My main issue is dry mouth with the patch. I know the clinical studies have shown that the drug has a half life of 9.5 days, but the dry mouth side effect disappears for me in 8-12 hours. For me personally, the patches have been a life, no make that cruise saver :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I get motion sick very easily - can't do amusement park rides that spin, must ride in the front seat of the car, will get motion sick if the person driving in front of me is swerving a lot, etc.

I've cruised to Alaska 5 times now...I start taking Meclizine before the trip starts (either the night before we fly or the night before we start driving north) and continue to take it each night before bed. I also keep my SeaBands handy. I take ginger gum with me, but have never used it.

Some of our cruises have been pretty calm, others have had a few rough spots. We had one cruise where both my son and I were quite queasy - it was on the first formal night and we laugh when we look at the pictures. I had my SeaBands on but my son didn't want to wear his (teenager!). At dinner, the waiter brought us green apples and they seemed to help a lot, although my teen still couldn't eat his dinner. He finally went back to the cabin and grabbed his SeaBands and laid down for a while and eventually felt well enough to get some pizza for dinner.

I am the same way! I NEVER thought about wearing my seabands to formal nights! HA HA! I guess whats the difference, there are already 100 pictures of me wearing them right lol I keep a pair in my purse and in all our vehicles. Since our conditions seem similar I am encouraged by your experience.

Thank you for all the replies, I am feeling very encouraged and informed by everyone who has sailed the same cruise. I had not thought about taking the Bonine before bed but it seems a lot of people are doing that. Does that seem to cut back on the drowsy period? How long does Bonine last? Most drugs are never really 24hrs.

I think I am going to try both medications here at home and have a few drinks and see if I get the zombie syndrome.

It is NOT the same drug as the OTC stuff, it's a prescription drug called scopolamine, made infamous by the CIA because it was used as a truth serum. It's also been used as a date rape drug. It is not available on the ships because of the side effects. You may take it and not have any problems but we always see a few people that have reactions to it and don't even realize it. They start acting strange and their friends or family bring them down because they don't know what's going on. Even after the patch is taken off, it will remain in the bloodstream for a while, especially if the site of the patch isn't scrubbed well. I would urge you to try some OTC or herbal remedies first as they are generally safer.

I'm one of those people who gets sick just at the sight of a 40-100 ft fishing boat, so I worried about my first cruise also. On 10 cruises I can stay that my stomach only paid the price twice. Once was in the North Sea cruising to Oslo. The waves were completely washing out the windows in the dining room and the waiters couldn't walk straight with their trays. Never got totally sick but felt queasy, so I just went to my cabin and laid down, fell asleep for a couple of hours, and was fine afterwards. The one and only time I got totally seasick was when I had an aft balcony cabin..the ones that actually face rearward. Found the motion of the ship to be significantly greater back there in rough seas. I went down to the infirmary, got "the shot", went back to my cabin and slept for 4 hours. When I woke up I was good as gold an ready to go.

As others have said, get a cabin as close to midship as you can, preferable on a lower deck. Bring Bonine and take it before bedtime...I found it did last me 24 hours, and since I took it before bed it never really made me drowsy during the day. And know that if you do happen to get sick despite all this they can straighten you right out in the infirmary :)

This is what I take on every cruise, sometimes I need it and sometimes I don't. For some reason, the Golden has bothered me the most. I have let my sister and my daughters-in-law use it, they have gotten immediate relief the minute they put it on: ReliefBand Voyager 120 Hour Motion Sickness Wristband by Relief Band. It's kind of expensive, but well worth it to me.

It is NOT the same drug as the OTC stuff, it's a prescription drug called scopolamine, made infamous by the CIA because it was used as a truth serum. It's also been used as a date rape drug. It is not available on the ships because of the side effects. You may take it and not have any problems but we always see a few people that have reactions to it and don't even realize it. They start acting strange and their friends or family bring them down because they don't know what's going on. Even after the patch is taken off, it will remain in the bloodstream for a while, especially if the site of the patch isn't scrubbed well. I would urge you to try some OTC or herbal remedies first as they are generally safer.

I completely agree about the patch being very serious medicine with very serious potential side effects. Before my doctor wrote a prescription for the patch he asked me if I talked in my sleep! (because of the truth serum effect). In any case, one of the side effects is that once you stop using it you can feel seasick on land. As I said before, Bonine before the cruise and every night at bedtime does the trick for me.