Will my passport get stamped at every port/country?

txflood33

More than likley no it will not ,Italy and maybe Turkey.Most times the country you enter will be the onlly stamp. B.T.W. there was a recent thread about that had some good info on this topic.

OK, checked the passport. We got stamps in Barcelona (airport we flew into for Med cruise). And 2 Vancouver stamps (again at the airport) for our Alaska cruises. And one stamp when we crossed from the Yukon into Alaska during the land tour portion of our cruise/tour.

We did have to show the passport in Tunis getting off the ship, but they didn't stamp it.

On our Baltic and Caribbean cruises we left our passports at the customer service desk and asked to have them stamped at each port. We picked them up the last night. Just don't forget! I am sure others would say this was not a safe thing to do, I guess I am one who always assumes the best in people.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

In Greece - no, we went to Greek Islands out of Venice. On one of the cruises somebody explained at the exit how to get passports stamped if they wanted to. As we didn't want to, I can't remember now which country. Maybe one port in Norway?

It's a rarity at ports-of-call.

Places like Russia & Egypt.

But in most cases you don't even need to take your passport ashore.

JB :)

Great info from all...I truly appreciate it.

Wouldn't you be better off having some sort of ID showing US citizenship just in case something bad happened in a foreign country? I understand you take the risk of losing it...but, the flip side seems pretty bad as well.....then again, living in Greece doesn't sound horrible :)

Wouldn't you be better off having some sort of ID showing US citizenship just in case something bad happened in a foreign country? I understand you take the risk of losing it...but, the flip side seems pretty bad as well.....then again, living in Greece doesn't sound horrible :)

What a lot of people do is make a photocopy of their passport and carry that with them.

As the Canuk's comment a couple of posts back, I carry a photocopy passport.

Not as good as the real thing if you get left behind or whatever but does help prove your identity & get the wheels rolling for an emergency passport - or so I'm told, but I've never had to put it to the test.

There's pros & cons, but like most folk I rate the risks & consequences of passports being lost or stolen ashore greater than the risks & consequences of my being left behind while my passport continues on its cruise.

(hopefully this post won't provoke another full-blown debate on the subject :D)

JB :)

Some of this also depends on the country you are visiting. I am going on a Baltics Capitals cruise this summer and we are required to carry our passports with us in Russia. We have to go through Russian immigration every time we leave the ship, so I'm really hoping they will stamp the passport at least once for the 3 days we will be there.

I did a Rhine river cruise and we turned the passports in when we boarded the ship and got them back the next day. We didn't get any stamps from any of the ports on the cruise. I did a Greek Islands cruise back in 2010. Again we had to turn in passports when we boarded in Athens. The ship kept the passports until the day before we disembarked in Santorini. We did get a stamp for Kusadasi.

In Europe passports will only be stamped if you fly in, and then not necessarily so. I have never had my passport stamped when cruising around Europe and the med, I fact have only had to show my passport in Croatia and Slovenia ,

For non-EU citizens, your passport will be stamped on entry into the Schengen visa area, which would be Rome. The ship will probably hold your passport in case the Immigration authorities want to check. If you're in a country that requires you to carry your passport, they've give it back for that port, otherwise you can get a photocopy if you want.

My passport has stamps from Mitilini and Mykonos but not for anywhere else on that itinerary. In Izmir, you get a landing card, in Istanbul they scan your ship card.

We had to change planes in Dublin and went on to Rome. Passport was stamped in Dublin, but not Italy. Didn't get stamped in Greece or Turkey either. Odd since Dublin is the only country we did NOT visit. We didn't even have time to leave the airport and that's the place where our passport got stamped.