Price adjustment after final payment?

happygirl72

I had read that Princess would adjust the price if the cruise price went down even after final payment had been made. I noticed that our May 24 Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess had dropped by almost $1000! I was so excited as other May cruises all had the New Bookings Only tag by them but mine did not.

I called Princess and the agent seemed initially to think an adjustment could be made but as the call went on she had to talk to a manager. Apparently it was supposed to say new booking and/or it is too close to sail. She did offer to refund $300 which was okay until I realized after I got off the phone that in the process she had eliminated our initial deal that had an obc, bottle of wine, and photo souvenir.

Has anyone had this experience? I was so happy but now I have so say I am not as excited as I was for our big once in a lifetime cruise. I feel that if the website does not state anywhere that it is for new bookings and it is in their normal practice to adjust fares then our fare should have been adjusted. I am just sad right now. To have $1000 adjusted would have been a huge deal for us. Can anyone make me feel better or have any advice?

I had read that Princess would adjust the price if the cruise price went down even after final payment had been made. I noticed that our May 24 Alaskan cruise on the Golden Princess had dropped by almost $1000! I was so excited as other May cruises all had the New Bookings Only tag by them but mine did not.

I called Princess and the agent seemed initially to think an adjustment could be made but as the call went on she had to talk to a manager. Apparently it was supposed to say new booking and/or it is too close to sail. She did offer to refund $300 which was okay until I realized after I got off the phone that in the process she had eliminated our initial deal that had an obc, bottle of wine, and photo souvenir.

Has anyone had this experience? I was so happy but now I have so say I am not as excited as I was for our big once in a lifetime cruise. I feel that if the website does not state anywhere that it is for new bookings and it is in their normal practice to adjust fares then our fare should have been adjusted. I am just sad right now. To have $1000 adjusted would have been a huge deal for us. Can anyone make me feel better or have any advice?

if you booked under the 3 for free promotion and if any changes needed to be made you must have lost the promotion, so did you gain $1000 and lost $300 so you must be in front

Personally I feel the rep should have explained the pros and cons of the deal (our TA always does).

Bottom line, if I look at it correctly, you are $600 ahead;).....gained $1000 in a reduction....loss $300 in perks. You can take $300 from the $1000 you saved and purchase a $300 OBC to replace the lost one......just a thought:)

As I read it, they only got $300 back, not $1000.

Officially, there are no reductions after final payment for most promotions. That said, it never hurts to ask, but refaring may result in loss of promotions as the OP found out (and should have had explained to them)

We only got $300 back and once the obc, wine, and photo souvenir are subtracted then I guess its a little less than $150 that we actually are getting back.

I know any type of credit is good but it is just upsetting to think feel that it should be more based on the website and Princess' past policy. Even the rep at the beginning of the call said they adjust fares as long as there is not any stipulation like New Bookings Only.

We only got $300 back and once the obc, wine, and photo souvenir are subtracted then I guess its a little less than $150 that we actually are getting back.

I know any type of credit is good but it is just upsetting to think feel that it should be more based on the website and Princess' past policy. Even the rep at the beginning of the call said they adjust fares as long as there is not any stipulation like New Bookings Only.

True, (and this should have been explained), but the new promotion was not combinable with the old one. I would think that this is in the fine print somewhere...

Never had a problem getting credited for a price drop before final payment. After final payment, no go. While I agree that they should have explained better that your promo was going to disappear you are fortunate that they worked with you on the price at all after final payment.

Call back and tell them that when you were received the price drop, your bonuses went away, and the rep didn't warn you about it. Ask to have them re-instated. That happened to me one time, and they fixed it, resulting in $ savings AND my bonus perk! Good luck! Either way, at least you saved some $!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Sad that you lost the OBC, but losing the wine and photo would not be a big deal to me. We have had the free wine and poured it down the sink and not a fan of photos anyway. Look on the bright side, you save some $$$.

And those that post it is not possible to get a fare reduction after final payment are wrong. Never hurts to ask. I got a $200 reduction after final payment. Many here at CC have posted that they were successful in getting a fare reduction or some extra OBC when they ASKED.

What did you do to get a reduction after final payment? I'd like to know how. I thought it would be impossible. I have read that sometimes they will switch you to a cabin upgrade, but not a refund.

What did you do to get a reduction after final payment? I'd like to know how. I thought it would be impossible. I have read that sometimes they will switch you to a cabin upgrade, but not a refund.

I was watching prices on my price alert website, price went down, called Princess and asked. The rep didn't even argue, just gave it to me.:)

You said, "our big once in a lifetime cruise."

I wish I had a dime for every time I read someone say that. And I say that with my own personal experience and extending to you my hopes that you have so many wonderful experiences that bring you back again and again.

I have been through this myself recently. I was originally booked on the promotion 3 for three on 8/9 Alaska sailing. When I needed to change to a different date, I lost that promotion AND my deposit. I was really upset...I had no control in moving to 8/2 instead. I was under deposit (new deposit) for 8/2 and the price dropped by $50.00 per person....I called and they lowered it. I was then paid in full. Just last week I noticed another reduction of about 60.00 pp plus an onboard credit being offered in the amount of $50.00 per person. I called and said, "I noticed that there is another new promotion and would like to take advantage of it....is that a problem being that I'm paid in full?". She said no problem and gave me the onboard credit and credited the $120.00 to my credit card!!!! I told her that it's discussed online that Princess won't give obc or price reductions once paid in full and she said she has been with Princess for 12 years and that is just not the case. I wonder if it depends on who answers the phone as their protocol seems to vary agent to agent!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You said, "our big once in a lifetime cruise."

I wish I had a dime for every time I read someone say that. And I say that with my own personal experience and extending to you my hopes that you have so many wonderful experiences that bring you back again and again.

FYI, our first cruise to Alaska was regarded as our "once in a lifetime." We've been back three more times and know we will return as often as we can.

After making our final payment the price went down, I called our TA who contacted Princess and they said because they were just trying to fill the boat there would be no price adjustment available for us, a week later the price went down again and in reading posts from others that said they received a price adjustment I called Princess and spoke to a wonderful young lady who said no problem she could adjust our rate the $1600 difference she put me on hold and then came back to say because we booked with a TA she could not help me and to contact the TA, I called my TA again who contacted Princess again, we did get an upgrade, to a larger balcony, I would rather of had the credit.

I have been through this myself recently. I was originally booked on the promotion 3 for three on 8/9 Alaska sailing. When I needed to change to a different date, I lost that promotion AND my deposit. I was really upset...I had no control in moving to 8/2 instead. I was under deposit (new deposit) for 8/2 and the price dropped by $50.00 per person....I called and they lowered it. I was then paid in full. Just last week I noticed another reduction of about 60.00 pp plus an onboard credit being offered in the amount of $50.00 per person. I called and said, "I noticed that there is another new promotion and would like to take advantage of it....is that a problem being that I'm paid in full?". She said no problem and gave me the onboard credit and credited the $120.00 to my credit card!!!! I told her that it's discussed online that Princess won't give obc or price reductions once paid in full and she said she has been with Princess for 12 years and that is just not the case. I wonder if it depends on who answers the phone as their protocol seems to vary agent to agent!

Although you had already paid in advance, the final payment deadline for your August 2nd cruise is May 19.

The reductions you received were before the May 19 deadline for payments.

It will be after that date that any price adjustments due to new sales will likely be unavailable to you unless they are not restricted to new bookings only.

• 5 weeks later...

24 days from sailing...called and got $200 fare reduction tonight...there were still rooms in our category available and pretend booking didn't say " new bookings only".... Could not have been easier.....they also offered an upgrade from BD to BA for our original price but we declined as it would have meant moving off Caribe deck.....love Princess:)

We booked our cruise on a "Special" that says if a lower fair that we qualify for becomes available and we notify them, we will get the lower fair! Nothing about before or after final payment. * at the bottom does state "New Bookings/Flash" sales do not qualify.