Toddlers in the mdr

Understood. But that first shriek or cry or scream still has to be made, no? Or maybe even several shrieks before a parent can get themselves and/or the child together and out of there or settled down (or whatever tactic they take) and you know folks will bristle at that very first sound without even giving parents a chance to take care of the situation. Thus the "aren't there any areas without children" questions. Some folks don't want to see or hear children AT ALL.

that first shriek is physically PAINFUL for my husband due to some prior ear surgeries. as in makes him nauseous.

I do recall a couple of nights on our DD's first cruise when she was 13 months that she had had enough right before dessert, so DH told me what to order for him as he whisked her back to our cabin.

I placed his order and mine, and our waiter gladly got our desserts to go so I could join them back in our cabin, complete with freshly wrapped silverware in napkins and tray covers so I was able to carry both desserts easily.

This worked great, so I would keep it in mind if your toddler needs a change of scenery, too.

We've cruised with DD 2.5 yr old and they do provide crayons and stuff but after she's has her meal she is done ready to go... so we have to resort to the iphone, but since there is no internet that only lasts a bit too ( should have downloaded new games prior to boarding) ... our food took a while every time

I don't like screaming kids around me so I don't let my DD make any noise as well but it happens sometimes

In all honesty I would be happy if they carve out a kid only section in the MDR .. I wouldn't mind seating around other families with kids rather than some stuffed up peeps that need a chill pill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I think a family section or floor in the mdr on larger ships is a genius idea. It's nice to meet other families and so the kiddos can make new friends.

Parents are infinitely more tolerant of other people with kids than the few old grumps who have forgotten what it is like to have a young child.

that first shriek is physically PAINFUL for my husband due to some prior ear surgeries. as in makes him nauseous.

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean but I am curious about this statement and would like to understand where you are coming from. What are you suggesting be done? Are you suggesting that he shouldn't be subjected to a child's shriek or scream, ever? How would a family sitting near him know this? Is it ever your husband's responsibility to avoid places where there might be children who shriek or cry?

I would just suggest going with early seating with little ones. On one cruise, our table was next to a family of four with two toddlers - at late seating. Inevitably, the younger one (about 2) would be asleep before dinner was over. On formal night, they were both dressed in adorable tuxedos to match their dad's - but the older one (maybe 3-4) started a melt-down about ten minutes into dinner so the dad had to immediately remove him (and did not return), while the younger one crawled into the mom's lap and fell asleep. Can't imagine either parent had a very pleasant evening.

We took our just turned 4 year old with us on our last cruise. He did fantastic and LOVED it, but it was still a little long for him. I think having realistic expectations of their attention span is key...request a table for yourself without others, bring plenty of activities, and be willing to skip dessert if need be. I think kids should be expected to honor an adult's schedule, including sitting longer than they might like at dinner, but I also think it's important for parents to be respectful of a child's limits.

Our waiters were absolutely fantastic with him..after the first night or two they knew how he liked his food (lots of ketchup, no whip on his jello) and would play with his toys with him. He loved the singing as well (we were on Carnival). It was just a fantastic experience.

U are paying for ur child so u take ur kids and enjoy the mdr.

My kids both been to main dining rooms on rci ships and p and o ships since before they were one year old, we just got them fed pretty fast, brought toys or books for them, no probs.

When u travel with very young kids, I dont really think u can sit too long in a restaurant cos you know how it is, they do get restless lol, if ur kids get a wee bit restless just take the out.

Enjoy ur holiday, you'll be fine x

If you correct their behavior when they act out AT HOME, they'll know that you won't tolerate them acting out IN PUBLIC.

That sounds great, in theory, but we are talking about toddlers here. You can correct them all you want at home, but a toddler simply does not have the maturity to always be a perfect angel out in public, no matter how well you discipline at home.

Neither do I, but I hear loud obnoxious adults and drunk adults all the time.

It is actually silent, as most of the games are puzzles or drawing programs or matching programs.

I suppose you were a perfect child as well, and never cried or had a temper tantrum in public and were totally perfect all the time. I am sure you sat perfectly still never interacting with anyone or playing any basic game, electronic or not, never had a crayon, never sang a silly song, or were played peek a boo with or pat a cake.

Never vied for your parents attention to show them something, and bugged them continously till you did. I am glad your parents cracked the great parenting mystery. They should write a book. They could make millions.

Well actually my parents did a great job of bringing me up for which I'm eternally grateful. And no, temper tantrums were NOT tolerated. As a result I am an adult who is considerate of others. And when I raised my children I realized that every situation wasn't appropriate for my child and thus I waited for them to get a little older to take them into that situation. I sacrificed some of my enjoyment until my kids were ready. I realize that's a lost concept on some of today's parents.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Here is what not to do- wait until your toddler is in the full throes of a complete meltdown, then take turns with your spouse carrying him like a football through the dining room to a spot right outside the entrance of the dining room. Make sure your child's flailing arms and legs come into contact with everyone you pass by. Switch spots with your spouse every 10 minutes until dinner is over. I witnessed (and felt the kicks to the back of my head) this on a cruise and felt so bad for the child.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well actually my parents did a great job of bringing me up for which I'm eternally grateful. And no, temper tantrums were NOT tolerated. As a result I am an adult who is considerate of others. And when I raised my children I realized that every situation wasn't appropriate for my child and thus I waited for them to get a little older to take them into that situation. I sacrificed some of my enjoyment until my kids were ready. I realize that's a lost concept on some of today's parents.

Well said!

In all honesty I would be happy if they carve out a kid only section in the MDR .. I wouldn't mind seating around other families with kids rather than some stuffed up peeps that need a chill pill

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just because I don't want to hear screaming children during a late seating at dinner doesn't mean I'm in the least bit "stuffed up" it's a common courtesy for those around you and your child. IMHO at 9 at night a 2 year old should be in bed asleep not being forced to sit through dinner. :rolleyes:

just because i don't want to hear screaming children during a late seating at dinner doesn't mean i'm in the least bit "stuffed up" it's a common courtesy for those around you and your child. Imho at 9 at night a 2 year old should be in bed asleep not being forced to sit through dinner. :rolleyes:

like! ^^^

Edited by yj2cute

As i stated before, your parents need to write a book as apparently they cracked the code on how to raise the perfect child.

Not tolerated and actually happening are two entirely different things. I do not tolerate temper tantrums, but there is no 2-3 year old out there that doesn't have them. I don't tolerate hitting or biting, but there is not a child i have been around that hasn't done that at some point.

I am sure you lived in a shell and NEVER left the house or went anywhere in which a temper tantrum wasn't ideal, never went to the grocery store, never went shopping for some clothes. There is no place outside of daycare in which throwing a tantrum is considered acceptable. Must have been an exciting life living staying at home 24/7 living in a bubble.

My parents also did a great job bringing me up, I was extremely well behaved and travelled as a young child, and always received compliments whether it was a cruise or european bus tour how well behaved we were. However, I am not naive enough to believe i was perfect and NEVER did anything wrong. I am also not naive enough to believe that I am a perfect parent and my child never did something they shouldn't have done in a situation.

Sorry we all aren't the perfect parent you are apparently.

Just because I don't want to hear screaming children during a late seating at dinner doesn't mean I'm in the least bit "stuffed up" it's a common courtesy for those around you and your child. IMHO at 9 at night a 2 year old should be in bed asleep not being forced to sit through dinner. :rolleyes:

Agreed, but how easy is it to get a two year old to sleep sometimes? ;)

As i stated before, your parents need to write a book as apparently they cracked the code on how to raise the perfect child.

Not tolerated and actually happening are two entirely different things. I do not tolerate temper tantrums, but there is no 2-3 year old out there that doesn't have them. I don't tolerate hitting or biting, but there is not a child i have been around that hasn't done that at some point.

I am sure you lived in a shell and NEVER left the house or went anywhere in which a temper tantrum wasn't ideal, never went to the grocery store, never went shopping for some clothes. There is no place outside of daycare in which throwing a tantrum is considered acceptable. Must have been an exciting life living staying at home 24/7 living in a bubble.

My parents also did a great job bringing me up, I was extremely well behaved and travelled as a young child, and always received compliments whether it was a cruise or european bus tour how well behaved we were. However, I am not naive enough to believe i was perfect and NEVER did anything wrong. I am also not naive enough to believe that I am a perfect parent and my child never did something they shouldn't have done in a situation.

Sorry we all aren't the perfect parent you are apparently.

You seem to be getting all riled up and for what, I'm not sure. I never said anything about being perfect. I simply applauded another poster's approach to using electronics with their child, or more specifically, the lack thereof. From that point, you've been ranting about my parents being perfect.

I've raised my children. I'm done with that and simply enjoy an adult atmosphere. In most instances, I won't be anywhere near you or your toddler. Enjoy your future cruises! :)

Edited by yj2cute

You seem to be getting all riled up and for what, I'm not sure. I never said anything about being perfect. I simply applauded another poster's approach to using electronics with their child, or more specifically, the lack thereof. From that point, you've been ranting about my parents being perfect.

I've raised my children. I'm done with that and simply enjoy an adult atmosphere. In most instances, I won't be anywhere near you or your toddler. Enjoy your future cruises! :)

I apologize for my ranting, however, some of the comments just rubbed me the wrong way. I agree electronics should be used sparingly, however there are some instances where I do not believe them to be completely detrimental. Esp. If it keeps them quiet in the MDR and allows everyone to eat their meals in peace and there is no sound coming from the device. And it is cleaner than crayons and play doh which is our alternative typically.

I apologize for my ranting, however, some of the comments just rubbed me the wrong way. I agree electronics should be used sparingly, however there are some instances where I do not believe them to be completely detrimental. Esp. If it keeps them quiet in the MDR and allows everyone to eat their meals in peace and there is no sound coming from the device. And it is cleaner than crayons and play doh which is our alternative typically.

I'm not sure what comments rubbed you the wrong way. You originally copied and responded to my comments TO SOMEONE ELSE. And those comments to them were positive. I didn't even address you or comment on what you choose to do with your child.

Admit it. You all knew this was going to happen.

Marci. I really tried to stay out of it. Truly I did. All I did was congratulate another poster on their approach. Then someone came for me. I didn't send for them.

Edited by yj2cute

I'm not trying to be snarky or mean but I am curious about this statement and would like to understand where you are coming from. What are you suggesting be done? Are you suggesting that he shouldn't be subjected to a child's shriek or scream, ever? How would a family sitting near him know this? Is it ever your husband's responsibility to avoid places where there might be children who shriek or cry?

we DO go out of our way to avoid the rug rats.. we sail longer itineraries, during the school year and avoid them as much as we can.

but sorry the GLARES and snide remarks we get when he winces in pain from the parents who automatically assume that he is being unreasonable and a child hater( that's ME, not him) get to be just as rude and obnoxious as parents claim we are when we express our dislike.

Marci. I really tried to stay out of it. Truly I did. All I did was congratulate another poster on their approach. Then someone came for me. I didn't send for them.

Love your choice of words:D

Highest regards to your parents for a job well done:)

we DO go out of our way to avoid the rug rats.. we sail longer itineraries, during the school year and avoid them as much as we can.

but sorry the GLARES and snide remarks we get when he winces in pain from the parents who automatically assume that he is being unreasonable and a child hater( that's ME, not him) get to be just as rude and obnoxious as parents claim we are when we express our dislike.

How much wincing is he doing that all of these other people notice? I'm sorry but most people aren't going to notice someone wince unless they are already looking at them. People are far too into what they are doing to notice that.

I was at a football game and the man seated in front of me had a heart attack and fell back into my lap. All around us almost no one noticed.

And when I raised my children I realized that every situation wasn't appropriate for my child and thus I waited for them to get a little older to take them into that situation. I sacrificed some of my enjoyment until my kids were ready. I realize that's a lost concept on some of today's parents.

Bingo - we were the same.... and because one child is ready doesn't mean another is as well. They're all little individuals and even within the same family with the same "raisin" there can be variations.

thanks everyone for the replies. Understanding that a child will get cranky, especially later in the evening makes me think MTD is the way to go. Having things to occupy the child is a great idea(as long as the activities don't interfere with other people).