Anyone on or just off a Scenic cruise this yr?

We are, or were, just about to book the Scenic Ruby for the 1st July 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest. It is our first River cruise and the intention is to book early as there seem to be some offers about. We chose Scenic as it seemed to be of good quality and calls:confused: at Rudesheim on the 4th July, hopefully to coincide with the "Rhine on Fire" celebrations. However I have now read some awful reviews of the line on TA as well as some Australian sites. Normally I would discount a few bad reviews amongst many as they can be down to personal experience but in this instance there are too many to simply ignore. There are 3 or 4 alternatives but my wife would really like to be in Rudesheim on the 4th. Any info based on experience of this and alternatives would be most welcome.

I don't know what you have seen, but on CruiseCritic as I recall the complaints almost all seemed to revolve around last year's flooding and--I could never get this straight--were perhaps aimed at Scenic's low-budget brand "Evergreen." I am keeping an open mind about Scenic and their new brand "Emerald."

Bon Voyage Alexandra. Not sure when you are leaving - are you having any pre or post days?

Look forward to your review when you return. Hopefully the internet onboard will allow you to take us along with you. :D

Thanks,leaving Fri. and have 3 post cruise days in Budapest.

Yes, if internet up and I have spare time,will post.But will

definitely do a review when I return.

Sure hope Scenic lives up to its 5 star brochure.

Hello trotters2203,

We are, or were, just about to book the Scenic Ruby for the 1st July 2015 Amsterdam to Budapest. It is our first River cruise and the intention is to book early as there seem to be some offers about. We chose Scenic as it seemed to be of good quality and calls:confused: at Rudesheim on the 4th July, hopefully to coincide with the "Rhine on Fire" celebrations. However I have now read some awful reviews of the line on TA as well as some Australian sites. Normally I would discount a few bad reviews amongst many as they can be down to personal experience but in this instance there are too many to simply ignore. There are 3 or 4 alternatives but my wife would really like to be in Rudesheim on the 4th. Any info based on experience of this and alternatives would be most welcome.

tricky to find an alternative to such a long trip that is in Rüdesheim exactly on the 4th July! However, as you are looking into a cruise for next year, you have some time to look around for alternatives.

The official name is Rhine in Flames and the event takes place at several sections on the Middle Rhine. Local companies offer tours, i.e. their ships are part of the "convoy". I do not know if the international vessels are allowed to take part in this or if you just view it from the ship when you are docked in Rüdesheim.

Perhaps you might like to look around the other river cruise companies' websites and see if they mention Rhine in Flames. There are land tours available from the UK, for example. Perhaps the Rüdesheim tourist information can help you with your query: http://www.ruedesheim.de/en/services/

notamermaid

It has been the hottest day today this year, with temperatures predicted to rise to 91 Fahrenheit in Cologne tomorrow!

Edited by notamermaid
Additional information

thanks notamermaid, I am currently checking all that out. I have not done a river cruise before and my problem at the moment is that as soon as i find a decent review and decide "that's the One" I then find two bad reviews-it's very frustrating but we've all been there. I rang 2\3 companies today but did not get to speak to Scenic-got fed up of hanging on after 15 mins or so.

thanks notamermaid, I am currently checking all that out. I have not done a river cruise before and my problem at the moment is that as soon as i find a decent review and decide "that's the One" I then find two bad reviews-it's very frustrating but we've all been there. I rang 2\3 companies today but did not get to speak to Scenic-got fed up of hanging on after 15 mins or so.

The general impression I get from reading every post on this forum (part of the Host job...) is that almost every river cruise passenger has a great cruise -- even on the lines that I view as less luxurious or reliable than most. So don't let the bad reviews influence you overmuch. Now that you have researched quite a bit, try to articulate what you are looking for in a river cruise (luxury? value? some specific feature?) and start a thread to ask advice on which lines to consider.

Try sending Scenic an email and asking them to ring you ASAP, I have always found them very accommodating and helpful. We did Budapest to Nuremberg a couple of years ago with Scenic, our first ever river cruise and it got us hooked. We have since done Amsterdam to Basel and we are booked in July for the Paris to Honfleur and back on Scenic Gem.

Also ask them about the Rhine on Fire they should be able to tell you if not they will find out for you.

Whoever you cruise with, enjoy you will get hooked.

Keep in mind that Scenic may well be relatively new to river cruising but they are a very well known Australian travel company who have been around for a long time. We know many people who have cruised with them and they have all been more than happy with their experience. I assume they gear more to the Australian market so perhaps the longer mealtimes are one result. We tend to make a night of dinner and find the North American quick service a bit rushed. The main disappointments I have heard have been to do with the river heights issues and hopefully the bad publicity over that will have resulted in some policy changes.

Keep in mind that Scenic may well be relatively new to river cruising but they are a very well known Australian travel company who have been around for a long time. We know many people who have cruised with them and they have all been more than happy with their experience. I assume they gear more to the Australian market so perhaps the longer mealtimes are one result. We tend to make a night of dinner and find the North American quick service a bit rushed. The main disappointments I have heard have been to do with the river heights issues and hopefully the bad publicity over that will have resulted in some policy changes.

I agree with you Karennella, particularly about the meals. There are not many restaurants in Australia with 2 sittings for dinner. If you book a table for 7.00pm you expect that table to be yours for the night - no one will be trying to hurry you up to leave. The few that do have 2 sittings make sure you are aware of it when you book.

Maybe you can try working with a TA? I have one who highly recommended Scenic,like many reviews there have been both good and bad.Have been on 11 river cruises so far with all the main lines,and found ea.ship in every line can be SO different.

Am trying Scenic in 3 days for first time,brochure and website look great so we ll see.My TA handled ALL the details so no long waits for me on phone,etc.

Will let you all know how it went when I return.;)

Thanks everyone for your interest and advice, I feel somewhat reassured and will definitely book soon. FYI the choice has narrowed to the Scenic Ruby which arrives at Rudesheim on the 4th July, the Viking Bestla which arrives too late but which seems a nice ship and the Avalon Vista which I really like the look of and is cheaper but again misses my desired date by a day. The solution? Enjoy the ocean cruise we have booked with Holland America in the near future and book when we come back by which time we may be left with just one choice!

I think everyone has to work out what is the most important factor to them. We have done a lot of travelling in most continents but even so we have the Australian discomfort with tipping. We try to do the right thing but as the only tipping that is done here is in restaurants it can be quite stressful dealing with expectations to tip all and sundry. Thus the Scenic all inclusive policy is a big draw for us and overrides the fact that I would generally prefer to travel overseas with a more mixed group of nationalities. I am obviously not the only one because Scenic and APT (who use AMA) advertise all-inclusive very heavily as part of their enormous amount of advertising.

Re restaurants, any that have two sittings in Sydney lead to the assumption that if you take the 6 00pm out by 8 00, you will eat with a room full of squealing babies and toddlers! If we are with friends we book 7 30 and would think it a mediocre night if we are finished before 10 00.

trotters2203, don't leave it too long to book, Scenic are VERY popular in Australia, we booked our cruise 14 months in advance and got the last cabin in the category that we wanted.

Our Scenic river cruise was our first one (have done lots of ocean cruisers) and we absolutely loved it.

Cheers:)

trotters2203, don't leave it too long to book, Scenic are VERY popular in Australia, we booked our cruise 14 months in advance and got the last cabin in the category that we wanted.

Our Scenic river cruise was our first one (have done lots of ocean cruisers) and we absolutely loved it.

Brisbanelionsfan-thank you. The Scenic trip is perfect for my dates and I had been looking at it for a while. I then read some very bad reports which included the Scenic Ruby (have you sailed on it?) and these stopped me in my tracks or I would probably have booked by now as I understand they are popular in Australia. It's good to get some positive feedback. I also agree with a previous comment about tipping and the all inclusive is tempting. I would rather have an included price than be wondering who to tip and when.

I would rather have an included price than be wondering who to tip and when.

This is less of a problem on river cruises than in most other forms of travel. The cruise line will give you explicit guidelines about the suggested tips for the crew and the Cruise Director (separate envelopes). On shore excursions, some people tip a little but many don't tip at all so you are good whatever you do.

Tipping is a problem for me on river cruises,or others,when we must use several different currencies over course of trip.I rarely have small change for ea.bus driver,guide,etc.when on shore exc. and if my DH goes on another one it makes it more inconvenient sorting out tips for ea.

Also, on some river cruise s you can inc. tips on final bill, others NO.Want to be tipped in cash(correct one).

Makes it necessary to keep going to ATM ,getting change,etc..

Sorry,just a real hassle.

This next one on Scenic handles all this and I prefer it that way.

I ,too,was a little upset by some reviews,but others very good.Will see for myself soon.

Hi trotters2203,

We sailed on the Scenic Jewel and just loved the whole trip, especially the all inclusive part, the tipping, drinks etc, took all the hassle out of our time on board and we could just relax and have a great time. The crew were very good and extremely efficient and friendly. Food was very good to excellent and the cabin with the balcony was just perfect. The mix of people was about 80% Australians and the rest British, Americans and New Zealanders.

I don't take much notice of really negative reviews, they are in the minority, some people are really hard to please, on the boat we were on there were 160 people and we spoke to lots of them, and I think 2 or 3 had some negative things to say.

Alexandra,

This is June 15 and you must have begun your Scenic cruise at this point. Any highlights so far? | am on a Scenic Jade on Sept.3/14. What would you recommend taking along for electrical issues. ( eg. converter, power bar) and is the Apple computer connected to the TV screen easy to use? Thx

-Dianne

Alexandra,

This is June 15 and you must have begun your Scenic cruise at this point. Any highlights so far? | am on a Scenic Jade on Sept.3/14. What would you recommend taking along for electrical issues. ( eg. converter, power bar) and is the Apple computer connected to the TV screen easy to use? Thx

-Dianne

Dianne, we are getting on as you are getting off. Hope you will do a live review. Getting excited now.

Alexandra,

-Dianne

Dianne, we are also scheduled for the Scenic Jade on Sept. 3rd this year Amsterdam to Bucharest. Look forward to seeing you!

Also interested in any tips from prior Scenic passengers, it's been helpful to read what others have encountered.

Rod

Edited by AZCruiserguy

Dianne, we are also scheduled for the Scenic Jade on Sept. 3rd this year Amsterdam to Bucharest. Look forward to seeing you!

Also interested in any tips from prior Scenic passengers, it's been helpful to read what others have encountered.

Rod

Oops - meant Budapest :).

• 2 weeks later...

Can now answer my own question at start of this thread.

First, to answer about computer.It never worked the whole time,ship has some issues with the wi fi.Even out tablet wouldn't help.So don t count on it,sorry.

Other than that issue, we enjoyed our first Scenic cruise.Glad we opted for jr.balcony suite.Loved the tub(sort of space ship design,not like pics in brochure.We had breakfast room service every morning,on balcony.Food often warm,not hot,but still nice treat.Lots of choices there,and could write on extras.The butler was very helpful, starting with pillow choices,pm and nitely treats,etc.But they also do other things,like waitress,etc.

Wish they d have screens on balcony tho,could nt keep open at nite,bugs got in.Also, would love a make up mirror.

Food is so subjective,I m allergic to many things,so hard to evaluate lots of items.Would say,in general,above average,FOR A RIVER cruise(not comparable to luxury ocean ships).Lots of choices,service varied depending on table,if table la rive and portabellos open.Both of those seemed a little better in food and service.Dining room very loud,but have had that problem with all the riverboats(10 so far).

Would NOT chose this cruise for first timers,I wanted to see all the Danube and this was last for that river. Not as scenic as others,but interesting and historical sections nice to see.Most ports needed bus to get to town, we often went on some part of tour,then left and me back to go to ship.Budpest always great,easy to see on own with HOHO bus or pedicab.Some small towns not as memorable,sort of communist era buildings.Belgrade large city and did city tour,but passed on rest since pouring rain. Bucharest another large city with some pretty sections,would have passed on some tours since not too interesting.But sort of forced,inc.in busride from ship to city,lunch,then right to Parliament bldg. tour(SHOULD have just taken taxi to hotel,like some).

There were only 4 Americans onboard,but all the others,AU,Canadiens,English were very nice and fun to meet.

Sure I m missing something,so do ask .

In general, liked Scenic and felt it was above average for everthing.The rooms made it rate hi er than AMA.Liked all the perks, esp.the tips inc.for everything,inc. transfers from airport.Paid nothing on check out.As said, will go on them again.:)

Can now answer my own question at start of this thread.

First, to answer about computer.It never worked the whole time,ship has some issues with the wi fi.Even out tablet wouldn't help.So don t count on it,sorry.

Other than that issue, we enjoyed our first Scenic cruise.Glad we opted for jr.balcony suite.Loved the tub(sort of space ship design,not like pics in brochure.We had breakfast room service every morning,on balcony.Food often warm,not hot,but still nice treat.Lots of choices there,and could write on extras.The butler was very helpful, starting with pillow choices,pm and nitely treats,etc.But they also do other things,like waitress,etc.

Wish they d have screens on balcony tho,could nt keep open at nite,bugs got in.Also, would love a make up mirror.

Food is so subjective,I m allergic to many things,so hard to evaluate lots of items.Would say,in general,above average,FOR A RIVER cruise(not comparable to luxury ocean ships).Lots of choices,service varied depending on table,if table la rive and portabellos open.Both of those seemed a little better in food and service.Dining room very loud,but have had that problem with all the riverboats(10 so far).

Would NOT chose this cruise for first timers,I wanted to see all the Danube and this was last for that river. Not as scenic as others,but interesting and historical sections nice to see.Most ports needed bus to get to town, we often went on some part of tour,then left and me back to go to ship.Budpest always great,easy to see on own with HOHO bus or pedicab.Some small towns not as memorable,sort of communist era buildings.Belgrade large city and did city tour,but passed on rest since pouring rain. Bucharest another large city with some pretty sections,would have passed on some tours since not too interesting.But sort of forced,inc.in busride from ship to city,lunch,then right to Parliament bldg. tour(SHOULD have just taken taxi to hotel,like some).

There were only 4 Americans onboard,but all the others,AU,Canadiens,English were very nice and fun to meet.

Sure I m missing something,so do ask .

In general, liked Scenic and felt it was above average for everthing.The rooms made it rate hi er than AMA.Liked all the perks, esp.the tips inc.for everything,inc. transfers from airport.Paid nothing on check out.As said, will go on them again.:)

Thanks for reporting back.

On previous posts you indicated you were looking for a 5 star experience.

Would you rate Scenic as 5 stars?

Sorry, I tend to be sort of critical of small details,so NO would not give it 5 stars.But the ship,crew,food,etc.were the best I ve experienced in 10 other cruises.And,as said above,would go on them again.

But did love the jr.balcony suite and perks inv. If I had a regular one,not sure I d have enjoyed it as much.\Maybe a 4 to 41/2 rating?AMA was my favorite prior to this.But they don t have the bathtub,room service,tips inc.,airport transfer,etc....if they did ,would rate them the same.?Close call and ea.ship in ea.line can be different.