Purchasing wine in San Juan prior to boarding?

Hello,

I am a newbie here and have searched the forums but can't seem to find this specific question. We are sailing out of San Juan in November and flying from Chicago. We don't want to pack two bottles of wine in our checked luggage and were thinking about just buying some in San Juan at a store near the port before we board the ship. We have never been to San Juan so I'm trying to find out if there are stores near the port that sell wine/champagne that we could quickly buy as well as a case of water to bring on board??

There are plenty mini supermarkets in the main old town. One is right next to the port that carnival use, but I am not sure that rci use that port. On a side note when we sailed on carnival from there you could take on as much wine (others took on spirits) no one cared.

There are no stores near (walking distance) the port. You would have to stop well before getting to the port to fine a place that sells wine.

There is a duty free shop in the port with a very limited selection of wine.

Edited by clarea

Hello,

I am a newbie here and have searched the forums but can't seem to find this specific question. We are sailing out of San Juan in November and flying from Chicago. We don't want to pack two bottles of wine in our checked luggage and were thinking about just buying some in San Juan at a store near the port before we board the ship. We have never been to San Juan so I'm trying to find out if there are stores near the port that sell wine/champagne that we could quickly buy as well as a case of water to bring on board??

Where are you staying? We stayed in OSJ a few years ago. There are several places to purchase wine there within walking distance, including the drug stores! And there are a lot of smaller liquor stores around. You should have no problem purchasing wine. I don't remember if there is anything at the SJ port, but I don't believe so.

Where are you staying? We stayed in OSJ a few years ago. There are several places to purchase wine there within walking distance, including the drug stores! And there are a lot of smaller liquor stores around. You should have no problem purchasing wine. I don't remember if there is anything at the SJ port, but I don't believe so.

We are not staying overnight anywhere in San Juan :( We are flying in the day of the cruise. Our flight arrives at 3pm on Saturday Nov 8th and the ship sails at 8:30pm that night. I was hoping the port area was close to a town where we could look around for a few hours before the ship sails at 8:30pm.

There are no stores near (walking distance) the port. You would have to stop well before getting to the port to fine a place that sells wine.

There is a duty free shop in the port with a very limited selection of wine.

Really :( nothing at all directly around the port? How disappointing :( We were hoping to walk around the town and explore a little bit after we get checked in as the ship doesn't leave till 8:30pm I believe and our plane arrives at 3pm. Here we thought we could get there get checked in and then go off the ship and walk around for a while in the town. I guess I was assuming their port was something like Cozumel where as soon as you get off the ship the town is right there to walk around and explore. San Juan must be a huge port area then compared to those other Islands. This is my first time cruising since 1990 and I just remember what the port looks like in Cozumel when I was there a few years ago and just half expected San Juan to be the same.

Absolutely grab a cab to OSJ. Once you're checked in, drop off your hand luggage and head into Town. RCI docks at the Pan American Pier, which is about 10 to 15 minutes from Old San Juan. See some sights, then on your way back to the ship, ask the driver to stop at a liquor store/convenient store and pick up what you need. RCI allows two bottles of wine/champagne per stateroom.

You need to be checked in by about 6 PM...if your flight is late you will have VERY limited time to do this.....

The cab driver should be able to stop at a grocery store on the way, but the rate to the pier is a flat rate, so any stops may cause the rate to go higher..

IMO you will not have time to diddle around too much, PLUS you're paying to be on the ship the first day..

There are ships that dock in Old San Juan, Royal and Celebrity use the Pan American pier which is NOT in town at all so you're looking at an additional cab ride...and I would allow an hour round trip travel time just to be safe, traffic in SJ stinks....

You need to be checked in by about 6 PM...if your flight is late you will have VERY limited time to do this.....

The cab driver should be able to stop at a grocery store on the way, but the rate to the pier is a flat rate, so any stops may cause the rate to go higher..

IMO you will not have time to diddle around too much, PLUS you're paying to be on the ship the first day..

There are ships that dock in Old San Juan, Royal and Celebrity use the Pan American pier which is NOT in town at all so you're looking at an additional cab ride...and I would allow an hour round trip travel time just to be safe, traffic in SJ stinks....

Ugghh :( Maybe we should just throw our cheap bottles of wine into our luggage on second thought and forego trying to do it before the ship sails. Looks like that will be our lest expensive option.

Hello,

Call Binny's Beverage Depot or other high end liquor store and inquire if they carry bubble wrap totes for liquor bottles. You can either put bottles in your checked luggage or carry on board the plane with you.

Ugghh :( Maybe we should just throw our cheap bottles of wine into our luggage on second thought and forego trying to do it before the ship sails. Looks like that will be our lest expensive option.

I wouldn't do that - One breakage over your clothes will be much more costly than just buying a bottle on the ship.

You'll get a lot of opinions, but assuming you go to the ship, check in then get another cab back to OSJ, that's 10-15 bucks, buy some wine, say 15 bucks a pop and another 15 bucks back...that's $60 bucks....

I'd just put that towards wine on the ship, but that's just me....I get a free bottle due to status, and it takes me a while to drink it if I am traveling solo....

We are not staying overnight anywhere in San Juan :( We are flying in the day of the cruise. Our flight arrives at 3pm on Saturday Nov 8th and the ship sails at 8:30pm that night. I was hoping the port area was close to a town where we could look around for a few hours before the ship sails at 8:30pm.

We were just on the Jewell 2 weeks ago we landed at 2:00PM and got to the ship by 4:00PM the people in our taxi was wanting to purchase wine so we asked the taxi driver if he could stop somewhere as I saw a grocery store right off the exit (he said no place close) well the couple just said forget it and waited till the terminal. There is a place inside to purchase wine etc. but not sure how the prices compare. There is no other place close!! I had wanted to go to Old San Juan and look around but by the time we checked in would have only had and hour and a half and didn't figure it was worth $24 rt pp

I'm not sure when you are flying home but if you have a later flight you can get dropped off on OSJ at Barrachina restaurant and leave your luggage (for a tip) and look around and go to the fort. We had a 4:00 Pm flight and was downtown by 10 or before.

Just ask your cab driver to make a quick stop at a grocery store (Pueblo or Supermax) on your way to the port. You will find a good selection of wines there.

Edited by drarill

Hello,

We just sailed out of the San Juan Pan American pier in April and you could buy wine right there. You go through the security and it is to your left. We had already bought our wine the night before - but next year we will buy it there. The selection was okay - ;)

Call Binny's Beverage Depot or other high end liquor store and inquire if they carry bubble wrap totes for liquor bottles. You can either put bottles in your checked luggage or carry on board the plane with you.

Umm don't think you will get by TSA with 2 bottles of wine in your carry-on! :D

We just sailed out of the San Juan Pan American pier in April and you could buy wine right there. You go through the security and it is to your left. We had already bought our wine the night before - but next year we will buy it there. The selection was okay - ;)
YES ! Shocked to see so many answers with this being the first correct one.

The wine selection isn't great but it's not horrible. Prices are OK and there are also lots of sparkling wines.

BTW, you can effectively take lots of wine on, 2 bottles at a time. As SailingSal posted, the wine shop is after security.

Hello,

We are on the same cruise. Glad you asked that.

The wine selection isn't great but it's not horrible. Prices are OK and there are also lots of sparkling wines.

BTW, you can effectively take lots of wine on, 2 bottles at a time. As SailingSal posted, the wine shop is after security.

You missed reading post # 3.

Two bottles at a time is the key. You'll have to keep getting on and off the ship. The wine shop is after security to enter the terminal. It is NOT after security to board the ship. You will have to go through two checkpoints, one as you enter the terminal and one as you board the ship. The second one is where they look for booze and other contraband.

Edited by cruiseguy1016

Thanks so much everyone for all your replies!! I really do appreciate it!! I'm still toying with the idea of packing the two bottles in my checked luggage. I successfully brought back a few bottle of Champagne from France last year and rolled them so well in my clothes and taped them up really good with bubble wrap they got home intact. I just didn't want to mess up my clothes by doing that on the way in. I will still toy with this idea. I do like the replies mentioning that we could probably get away with getting a few more bottles on board in that store that is right by the ship. And as a few posters commented on the total price of a cab back and forth I might as well just add that to the cost of the wine on board or in the little shop.

I'm still a little surprised with the way the cruise ships seem to deal with the water/beverages/alcohol and it not being included in the price of the cruise and meals. The last cruise I took was in 1990 and all meals and drinks even alcohol was included in that price. I'm used to doing all inclusive resort vacations where you don't have to worry about brining your own alcohol. We are not big Alcohol drinkers at all and we drink mostly water, but this is our honeymoon trip and it would be nice to have a couple of our own bottles of wine/champagne in our room.